“Everything was perfect for our family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Bucaneros

You added Hotel Bucaneros to your Saves list
Hotel Bucaneros
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Hidalgo #11 | Colonia Centro, entre Av. Madero y Av. Abasolo, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Montreal, Canada
“Everything was perfect for our family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was the first time for me and my family in the hotel Bucaneros. The service was impeccable and very fast when we needed them. Placed at the heart of the island it was perfect for our 3 children and to live at the rhytm of the island. Our room was comfortable with a small kitchenand a sofa to relax and read after a very busy day. We are a family of backpackers and our children from 5 to 9 years old appreciated to have breakfast directly in the hotel and adored practising their Spanish with the staff. If we return to Isla Mujeres one day, it is without hesitations that we shall go to the hotel Bucaneros.
Pat and Karina

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

After reading the good reviews on TA, I booked 2 rooms here for our recent trip with my father and sister.
First impressions were that it was very basic and dated however we knew to expect that from the reviews and price point. The rooms, ours in particular, were very small. Maybe 8x12ft. Just enough room for a twin bed against the wall and a small path to the washroom.
Our room had a door something similar to a closet door (like a shutter) which ultimately became a big issue. The door is about 2 feet from your head when you are laying down.
Because the door is like a shutter, and the lights in the hallway stay on all night, it is pretty bright at night.
On the first night, a girl sat outside our room on the bench and talked on her cell for 2 hours from 1am to 3am. We were pretty annoyed but didn't say anything.
On the second night, children, (who I believe may have been the children of the housekeeping ladies who I think lived on site) ran up and down the hallway laughing and pounding on doors at 1am.
We reported it to the front desk guy, who couldn't have cared less, and tried to stay positive until the 4th night when, at 4am, a group of Mexican guys showed up and were drinking and talking loudly right outside our room. It seemed like they may have been friends of the overnight "security" kid... who was always sleeping in the morning when we were up early. One of the guys started blasting Justin Timberlake out his phone and my husband had had enough and opened the door to ask him to quiet down. He opened our door to find a guy, legs spread in his tighty whities, laying on the little bench 5 feet from our bed. He asked if he could please keep it down and came back to bed. He said the guy looked wasted and defiant.
About 5 minutes later the music started up again and lasted until 6am. Needless to say we were pretty upset and concerned as they were drunk and we felt trapped in this little room. My husband didn't want to get the guy upset and doesn't speak Spanish and we felt as if we couldn't leave the room without an altercation.
I was also worried about my personal belongings I had left right outside our door to dry. Turns out they did take my Billabong beach blanket which wasn't cheap, but left the $2 Chedraui towels...
At about 6:30, the noise stopped and I went to check on my dad and sister and the guy was still wandering the floor in his underwear.
I told my family to pack up and we went to find another hotel.
When I told the lady at the front desk we were checking out 2 nights early and why, she was extremely sympathetic and understanding, which was nice. I felt bad as I am not a complainer and she was genuinely sorry however I explained that we needed to sleep at night and have peace of mind.
I could have dealt with the small rooms, the brightness and noise from Hidalgo however they really should have better night security here being right on the main drag. It's a small hotel with 3 floors... if a real security guy would just make the rounds every hour or so at night and make sure there was no loitering I think it would go a long way!
No one wants to lay awake in their bed, in a foreign country, wondering if the drunk outside is going to steal from you or start a fight!
We will definitely return to Isla and loved the island but will splurge an extra $30 a night on a nicer place. Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms away from Hidalgo and I believe there is a bigger single room than the one we had... w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was the second trip to Isla for my girlfriend and I. We fell in love with the island during our first visit, and stayed at the Avalon Reef Club. We wanted a different (and cheaper... not that Avalon is expensive) experience this time, and the centrally located Bucaneros certainly fit the bill. You are literally right there on the strip, and probably only a 7-8 minute walk from the ferry. My only concern was how small the rooms are. If you book the least expensive room, be prepared for something smaller than what you might find in Paris. Unfortunately, the hot water in our room didn't work upon check in. We had been looking forward to showering after a full day of travel were feeling quite frustrated after numerous attempts by maintenance to fix the problem. The gentleman at the front desk (Jesus, I believe?) was very empathetic and in the end, upgraded us to a much nicer room free of charge. The price, location, and cleanliness of this hotel can't be beat and they even include a free breakfast. The proximity to the noise and the nightlife can be both a pro and a con, depending on your outlook. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for anyone looking for great accessibility to the town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Myrtle Beach SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is my second review of the Hotel Bucaneros,we are seasoned traveler's,having been to most of the island destinations,I can say without a doubt,this hotel,with it's wonderful friendly staff,offers the best bang for the buck (Pesos).We have a nice travel group,who share our opion,this is a multible trip back to this wonderful location at beautiful Isla Mujeres,Mexico.The Hotel General Manager Eyder Jahil is the Director of Tourism for this fantastic resort island & is doing a teriffic job,his beautiful wife gave birth to their first child,a daughter,Iris Sofia,while we were there.Tell the management,Mel recomended you and they will treat you like family.

Room Tip: Travelers staying for longer periods of time,normally get a better rate
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bar Harbor, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

we ended up staying here for 2 nights after a terrible experience at another hotel. Felt like luxury . Nice place, clean, and comfortable. a bit noisy on Hildalgo, but convenient. when we originally were looking for places, this site and many other hotels said Booked. when we arrived in Isla, the weather had turned bad, and it seemed that many places were not full, as we did get a room right away. Interesting how this hotel was booked two months ago, yet when we inquired, there were many rooms available. They were a godsend after our first night in a hell hole.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room. worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
St Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Third time to Isla, first time staying at Bucaneros. Centrally located and clean. Pleasant staff. Continental breakfast is very basic, provided each day and I never ate there. Had room 204. Anything above the first floor would be a hike for anyone with stair problems. Reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlook the main drag. Might be noisy at night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Maynard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Several times to the island and first time at this hotel. I would go back tomorrow. Staff was awesome, so nice and polite. The guys at dinner are awesome. Food is cheap and pretty good.
I felt we had to eat at the restaurant below the hotel at least once due to the good service. I did ask for chips but got a handful. Drinks are two for one and good. Location is amazing in the center of town, for the money and service it cant be beat. See you next year!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bucaneros? Share your experiences!