We just stayed at Hotel Secreto for five night in early March. We had an amazing vacation and enjoyed the staff, location and the vibe. It is a few blocks from the main shopping/restaurant area and a couple of blocks from Playa Norte. The staff is helpful, friendly and always available. The rooms were comfortable and the views/balconies were great.
There are a couple of things that you should know... On the website, they tout the 50 best new hotels and other claims. These must have been awarded 5+ years ago. We just kept continually saying how the place had the potential to be AMAZING, but had a lot of small misses. Did it ruin the vacation? No. But you could tell the place had seen better days. Some examples:
- The pool and hot tub - the heater used to work I was told, but hasn't been working for a while. The hot tub is now labeled a kids pool. Throughout the pool, there are a lot of tiles missing or poorly fixed. Even the deck had loose boards that should be fixed.
- The furniture on the balcony - ours had definitely seen better days. Whether it was the "bed" which was overly weathered (ask them to put sheets on it!!) or the chairs which some rooms had cushions, other didn't... they were beaten up. My chair separated at the joints when I sat on it.
- The hallways and rooms - a lot of deodorizer, or cleaning agents. After a couple of days we were numb to it, but definitely a strong odor. Not sure what they were trying to cover.
- Bathroom - The shower head had some mold on it. Our toilet seat was broken and I had to go in and fix the toilet from running continuously a few times.
- And a lot of other little things that just seemed to be lacking attention.
Finally, they don't have food at the place. They make a breakfast (same thing every day for five days) and will happily order food for you, but a bit of a miss, especially when eating and drinking at the pool would really make it amazing.
If the owner would invest in the property, it could easily be a primo place to stay. And I'll be honest, we'd consider coming back, so it wasn't a make or break thing, but it definitely isn't the boutique hotel that it could be, or was when it received all the kudos. But it is a great setting to get away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conde Nast Traveler's 50 Best New Hotels in the World. Hotel Secreto is a sleek nine-room hideaway - Santorini-meets-Schrager style. Constantly upgrading, the hotel was renovated in 2005 to include a 20 meter lap pool and an all junior suite lay-out. Designed by an award-winning architect, the hotel looks more like a slick private beach house. Modern touches such as WI-FI and pre-loaded iPods are part of an enhanced poolside service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Secreto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secreto Hotel Isla Mujeres
- Secreto Isla Mujeres