“Best location ever!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
EL MIRAGE, AZ
“Best location ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The location is amazing and the resort will soon be great. Waves literally crash against your room. The rooms are sparse but clean, with new beds, flat screen tvs, and a large balcony. The staff couldn't be nicer, especially if you throw them a few bucks here and there. Food is mediocre but they are working to improve with new restaurant being built as we speak. Drinks are fine. The beach is small but has to die for water. We had a blast!

In response to the guy who says its $270 a day per person. This is a flat out lie. We paid $200 a day that included airfare and hotel all inclusive for two people. These negative reviews are deceiving folks, written by non tippers with poor attitudes to begin with. You get what you give at Mia and in Mexico in general. Be nice and they will be nice to you!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestServicesPR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your comments. We also thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Please let us know if you plan to come back, we will be thrill to welcome you back again soon. Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I had a great experience in isla mujeres. I did not have high expectations due to the reviews and the traveler pictures, so I braced myself when we arrived. The hotel is very old HOWEVER they are doing a lot of renovating which did not bother us at all. I believe in a couple of years this hotel will be great. Housekeeping kept the rooms very clean which made me feel alot better about staying there. The beds were very comfortable, I think we had one of the new mattresses. We needed assistance with the dolphin adventure which is located on the other side of the island. VIctor at the front desk was very nice and helpful. I really appreciated him!! the beach is very small on the resort but there is another beach on the island where restaurants and shops are located. We only slept and took showers at the hotel, the rest of the time we were in town. The people in town were very nice and we did not have one complaint about the food. We only ate breakfast at the resort, the omelettes were great. some people rented gulf carts and scooters to get around, we walked and caught cabs for the most part, which didnt bother us at all. Overall we had a great experience, it turned out to be the best vacation we've had thus far. The restaurant just over the bridge of the hotel has good food as well. i rated this 4 stars based off of the location and the cleanliness of the rooms. I am a 4 to 5 star type of person when it comes to hotels but it wasnt that bad. I would go back once they finish renovating. fyi.. ferry rides to cancun or anywhere else is around $6 per person, they run every 30 mins. Also try the Columbus lobster cruise. Be careful of the cab drivers trying to have you pay more than you should, my boyfriend wasnt having it lol.

Room Tip: villas are very private and face the ocean. The ac funs great in those.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. WE hope you visit us again soon. Thanks!
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at Mia Reef , I was worried because I had read many bad comments about the rooms in the tower (where we stayed). My first impression was good, the rooms were clean and an unbelievable view from the window , the air conditioning made ​​the room nice and cooler . Yes , as I read in other comments there is constructions going on, but nothing that hinders your day on the paradise beach where the hotel is located, right beside the north beach . If you have children this is the right place to stay , it has an natural pool where you can swim with the fishes , unbelievable magical experience . The beach is really calm and the water is so clear. If you go to Isla Mujeres don't forget to rent a golf cart ( 650 pesos or 55 dollars per day and you pay at the hotel ) where you cross the entire island. The staff at the hotel were friendly , some of them wasn't , but also the guy who does the entertainment ( Armando ) was a nice guy too. The hotel need to provide more ladies working at the restaurant area. The all inclusive was a delight and good choices on the menu. I would stay at this hotel again, but if you like partying and busier place don't stay there. But as I enjoy quiet places Mia Reef was perfect, next time I would stay at the village, it looks better . For the price you pay, I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments. WE hope you can make us your choice on your next visit to Isla Mujeres. Thanks!
Boiling Springs, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We've been going to Mia Reef for many years from the time it was known as Avalon Reef Resort. Isla Mujeres has been one of our favorite places for many years. The Reef Resort was never the ideal place for someone who wants all of the five-star features. However, if you wanted great location with the sound of the waves breaking on the reef outside of your window, great staff who really seemed to care about you and your needs, and were reasonable with your requests and were interested in mingling with the locals, this was a great place. In recent years, it has shown the lack of care and was beginning to look a little down.

Having heard that the ownership had changed, we were a bit uncertain of what to expect on our return this year. WOW. The new owner(s) are working to make this a top notch resort. Though there was construction going on while we were there, we were really impressed to see all of the current improvements and speculating on what the new additions were going to look like when finished.

One of the most common complaints on this page has been the hard mattresses. At least the ones in the villas have been changed. These are great.

Room Tip: Reef side in the villas give you the waves as your sleep aide.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, we thank you so much for your comments. This is all to make it a better place for you to stay. We thank you for taking the time to write your experiences. Kind Regards,
vero beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

ok have come here since 2002. Part of the beauty of this place is that everything is just a little "off" wine is served in a champagne glass. Water in the rooms is luke warm at best but we are not in the US. Mia is making some great strides forward, if you want a great all inclusive.... stay in Cancun. If you are part of the vacation member group I think you will be excited with the progress made.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Vacation Club owner,
this place will look just the way you deserve! Thank you again for your patience and kind words. We are working to make it perfect for your next vacation. REgards!
Maple shade
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mia reef from May 31,2014- June 7th 2014 and we loved it. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Yes there is construction going on but it does not affect you at all, it's not loud nor is it in the way. There weren't very many people staying there which was really nice! We traveled around the island, we went to the local grocery store and purchased snorkeling gear for $7.99 each and we snorkeled in kings bath everyday and it was all ours everyday! The resort and the island is so beautiful that I was crying the day we had to leave. My only complaint is the weather but that is out of my control. Don't listen to all these horrible reviews... I read them before I left for my trip and they had me so worried and literally sick to my stomach that the place would be a nightmare but when we got there I was in love. Oh and another complaint is that they messed up the name on my confirmation but whatever. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,
you are beyond kind to us and we thank you for your kind words. We can't wait to have it all complete and show it to you. Please let us know when you come back it will be our joy to have you back (with the right name of course!). thanks again for your comments.
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We traded our time share for a unit at the Mia Reef Resort. We were so excited we had been on the island for the day several years ago and had hoped to stay there sometime. The pictures on the internet were beautiful. I counted the days. When we arrived the hotel/condo's were dilapidated run down and nothing like the pictures. The room was ran down, stained tile floors, cracked and decaying walls. We thought we would make the most of it, after all the property was amazing and beautiful. We went to the restaurant and had a couple of beer's and nachos. The nacho's were canned cheese, meet like Taco Bell and jalapeno's. Not very good. We were glad we choose not to do all inclusive. We also noticed that the entire hotel portion was being torn apart with a jack hammer and many hammer and chisels, the deck was also being restored with a chainsaw, planer, table saw,hammer and nails. The pool had plywood around it, but was useable. Lots of construction, we had been told the construction was complete. In the morning we noticed many ants in the room and a couple of cockroaches. we also noticed there was NO HOT WATER. I called the office and was told we are working on it, they could not give me a time it would be fixed. I called interval who had traded through and was told they could move us but there was only an all inclusive and it would be 1400.00 more. Not wanting to spend the additional money or stay at an all inclusive, I had to stay.

On the up side the people were nice and hard working making the most of what they had to work with. Every morning two or three guys raked and took care of all the seaweed that washed up on shore, they offered umbrellas and old broke chairs to lay in. The beds were new and very comfortable. WiFi worked most of the time in the lobby and restaurant and I cannot say enough of the location, walking distance to town, surrounded by some of the best snorkeling around. When the construction is complete I am sure it will be the best property around ( I hope). I only wish we would have known about the construction and no hot water before we stayed there. Isla Mujeres is beautiful quiet and so relaxing. Everyone should go. Just make sure the hotel is not under construction and has hot water.

Room Tip: make sure to see the construction is complete
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Interval Guest,
thank you for your comments. They do help us a lot. We are sorry for not fullfilling your expectation and we thank you for your kind words. This will help us improve our services and facilities. Regards,

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!