“Beautiful area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Cedar City, Utah
“Beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We loved our stay here due to the beautiful surroundings. The location is such a treat! The Avalon Reef club was just ok. Luckily our room was much better than other family members who ended up with twin beds and poor view.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The location of the hotel is perfect, a wooden bridge away from the main island of Isla Mujeres. The sunset view from the beach (and from our room) was awesome. The hotel itself... well... let's just say the room didn't live up to our expectations. We stayed in the main building on the fourth floor, overlooking not only the island and the beach but also the hotel's maintenance workshop. However, since there was no balcony (which we knew beforehand) and the windows could barely be opened, the room was quiet – that is, until we turned the AC on. It was so loud, which I guess it would be in the “minimalistic” room consisting of cement walls with hardly any furniture.

We had breakfast only included in our rate and it was very nice, eggs made to order etc. and there were tables right by the ocean. The pool seemed nice enough but we barely saw anyone use it since it was kind of squeezed in between the hotel reception area and the dining room. The private beach was very nice with chairs easily available. The beaches close by on the main island were also awesome. Wifi was said to be accessible in the lobby area but it only worked about 1/5 of the time. The front desk staff was friendly enough.

So in conclusion, location – 5 stars! Room – 2 stars...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I would have great things to say about this place if it wasn't for the fact that someone on the staff stole my iPad out of my backpack in my room. So if you stay here make sure you lock your stuff up on the safe or don't bring valuables at all. The best thing about this place is the location. When I stayed there they had just changed ownership and were in the middle of a renovation. The rooms are minimal but the views are amazing. The beach is awesome. I reported the stolen item to hotel security, they did an investigation but turned up nothing. Of course it didn't. I'm thinking they probably are all in on it. Anyway I would probably stay here again because it's affordable but wouldn't bring anything of value. There's also decent hotels just across the bridge.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Eureka, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I made a special request for a room on the Gulf side of the hotel and was told they couldn't honor the request because the hotel was full. I don't think they were telling the truth. I was there for three days and didn't see anybody coming out of the last three rooms on the Gulf side. I got the feeling they just couldn't be bothered. I told him I was having trouble sleeping because of the noise of the ocean. We had reserved a villa based on trip advisor reviews. The villas were okay but my whole trip was flavored by the front desk and their uncaring attitude. They also play loud music at the beach all the time. I don't go to a peaceful island paradise to hear loud music.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Let me say, I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this posting, but figured I would try it. I recently lost my mother, so please be nice and kind when responding, if you need to reprimand me!!!! I met a lovely Mexican family at Avalon/Mia Reef this past June 18-25. The wife's name is Beti, I do not recall her husbands name. They have a baby boy who would be about a year old now. The husband is an Orthopedic surgeon in Mexico at a clinic. When Beti showed me her contact information on FB it was a long name, and I knew I would not remember it. Unfortunately, we did not cross paths again, so I was not able to get her information. I have called the hotel and asked if they could pass onto the family my information, so the family
can get in touch with me, but the hotel indicated they can not do that. Beti is a beautiful woman, wearing a large black and white sun hat and black and white swimsuit. If any of you met her, please let her know I am trying to get in touch with her. I know they spent a lot of time swimming near the bridge. They were originally in the hotel, then switched to a villa. Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location on the island. Walking distance to the nightlife and restaurants. Prettiest beach on the island. Rooms in the hotel are less than stellar but you don't have to spend a lot of time in the rooms. The rooms were cleaned well but they are old. Beds are rock hard. If you ask for a mattress pad it helps a little. Running water in the shower was lacking in the morning when most people are up showering. We did all inclusive but I would recommend skipping this and enjoy the food on the island. There are so many good restaurants to choose from! Bring water bottles or something to get water back and forth to your room. Even with all inclusive you only get one bottle of water on arrival. Overall our stay was good. We are simple people and the hotel met our needs! We would stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just got back on Saturday the 8th of March. This is a fabulous beach location with the best views and swimming I have ever experienced. This hotel is surrounded by water, what could be better??? Pure white sand, aqua marine water and warm water.....ahhhhhh
Ok, the hotel is a work in progress with so much potential, I know they are working to make it better, but it really was not that bad, I wish they had another bar and restaurant but they are working on it. The food was just fine, breakfast was very good, lunch was not bad, dinner could have used a little help but still not that bad. Drinks were great! Room was small, a little on the dirty side, (not too bad though) I always had nice warm water and pretty good water pressure, bed was hard, but we go a pad and it was fine then. I didn't go to this hotel for world class gourmet food, and 5 star room accommodations, I came for the BEACH and the WATER which made up for anything negative. Staff was nice, they all seem to work a lot! I would for sure go back, it was very affordable and I know in about a year or so this will be an even more awesome place!!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on the 8th floor (top floor) was pretty loud from the crashing waves, but...