“Excellent choice for low maintenance travelers.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Katy, TX
“Excellent choice for low maintenance travelers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

There isn't a lot I must have in a hotel. If the sheets are clean and there's a roof over my head, I'm pretty happy. So, if you travel with a backpack instead of suitcases, think a few cracks in the stucco look like character, and don't care if room service will arrive in under 30 minutes because you wouldn't use it anyway, I'm talking to you!

My 15 year old and I stayed for 4 nights in the villas. We both loved the view and the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks, enjoyed watching The Big Bang Theory with Spanish subtitles on the old tube TV, exploring King's Bath and, bonus, hanging out with a tiny crab that showed up in the room one night. My son was less excited about the lack of wifi, but that provided all the incentive he needed to walk to town several times a day to eat or stock up on snacks for the room. It's an easy walk, and there are several great restaurants with free wifi. (Our favorite was Qubanos.)

We also found hermit crabs all over the property in the evenings coming back from town after dinner. It was a lot of fun to see them outside of a pet store. Walking around we never felt unsafe, even late at night.

Overall, it was a great place to stay and we would visit here again.

• Stayed June 2013
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your kind words. It is so overwhelming to read about experiences like yours.
Please let us know if you are planning on comming back, we would love to help you book your trip.
Yours Sincerely,

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I always read negative reviews with a grain of salt but I have to write this. First impression on entering lobby was a "welcome drink- punch dispenser" with pink and blue punch on the two sides. However, this wasn't offered on arrival. A note on the machine said it was 30 pesos but there were no cups or glasses present. Bad first impression. The room - I heard from reviews that air conditioning was loud but I had no idea that we could not have a conversation without leaving the room loud. Front desk, all I can say is if they worked for me I would replace them all immediately. They are a definite liability to the hotel. I read reviews of curt interactions but there was always a feeling that they were "putting up with me". Bartenders- same rude service. I could not pay for the drinks, I had to wait until the bartender filled out a bill and would give it to me later. I suspect if he stalled, I would order another drink. It was thirty minutes and I had to run him down to get the bill. Once when I asked for ice in a cup, he frowned and commented in Spanish about touristos. My wife and I have gone to Mexico every year, usually Cozumel, and we enjoyed the vibe on Isla, but this hotel is definitely in need of professional management.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel for a Good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

the hotel has a new management and has the objective of improve facilities and the hotel services, I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Lima - Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week, we enjoyed very much the hotel and its location. Is a quiet space to relax and chillout without the craziness of Cancun city. Is not a luxurious hotel and also not a new one but is kept clean and well maintained. The staff will become very friendly as soon as you give them a smile and also always with a good disposition to help out. Will defo be back next year. Recommend it

• Stayed July 2013
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving the Reef the chance of showing you Isla Mujeres and be part of your vacation experience. Thank you again for your comments.
Please let us know if you are planning on coming back, we would love to help you book your trip.

Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were originally booked for the tower, but it was depressing and we upgraded to the studio apartment, which was wonderful! The dramatic waves coming right up to our private balcony really gave it a lot of atmosphere. There's a bit of nice snorkeling right on the property, and Playa del Norte is right across the footbridge (or you can even simply wade over to it). The village itself is within easy walking distance. The only thing I didn't like is that we were told we couldn't eat our own food or drink our own beer on the beach. Our studio had a kitchenette, so we were saving some money by shopping at the grocery store (also in walking distance) rather than eating at restaurants all the time, so it bugged me that we weren't allowed to enjoy a meal or beer on the beach unless we purchased from the hotel restaurant. Otherwise, though, this is a good place.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the tower.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a very interesting hotel. It was built on a coral reef (which is very sad), but it has amazing view of "Playa Norte", decent staff and nice view in the rooms (even though I didnt have a balcony.. I didnt like that you cant open the windows all the way, but its a safety measure. Location is the best and it is not expensive. Behind the hotel there is so called "Kings bath" - all natural jacuzzi made out of corral reef and you will see dozen of colorful fish swimming in it. It is so much fun to be inside! My friend has a suite there because she was a manager and she showed me one of the rooms on the top, the view is breathtaking.
I would come back here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice words. It will be our joy to have you again at the Reef.

Thank you again for your comments.

Regards,

The Management,
Alburgh, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful hotel in Feb. for 1 week with my family of 4.
I was very skeptical due to all the negative reviews…
The location is fantastic… the beaches at the door stem… great snorkeling…
My kids (7/9) had a great time.

Walked to the local farmers market (5min) every day for breakfast…
Grocery stores are 15 min walk.

It is not a 5 star resort… if you are a beach person that need a place to sleep at night, this is your hotel!
I can’t enough good things about this hotel.

I will highly recommend and will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Perfect place to stay!! Hotel is clean, quite, great staff, immaculate grounds!!! Great dive shop right on the property (Mundaca Divers). Hotel is located on north end of island. It is about a 5 minute walk to downtown or Hildalgo street which is where all the restaurants are located. Will absolutely go there again.

Room Tip: Beds are very firm! Pillows are soft. AC works great. Ask for your villa to face the Caribbean sid...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!