“Avalon Beach Lagoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Wheeling WV
“Avalon Beach Lagoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I just got back from IM and popped into Avalon for a look see. They were kind enough to show me a room and a short tour of the hotel. The room was small, but clean. The hallways were clean and well maintained as well. The walls appeared to be thick and made of a thick adobe type plaster, and noise level was very low. I didn't see any mold or fungus. It's so hard to keep the humidity down in this climate. They were running a free standing humidifier in the room, though. The pool was attractive but I feel small for an hotel of this size. But, of course the ocean is the big draw at this property. They offer a room only rate, or B & B rate. Even if you don't stay at Avalon Beach Club Hotel, it's so worth the walk up the beach to snorkel in their lagoon. It's open to the public. One can always find schools of fish zipping back and forth. On the far side of the lagoon waves crash on the rocks and provide a great photo op. I walked down to the lagoon at least twice a day for 7 days. What does that tell you?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I just got back - stayed from Saturday 5/18/13 to Wednesday 5/22/13. We booked this trip on a whim, and I picked this hotel based almost solely on location. It was after I booked the room that I read all the negative reviews (I know, I know, I should have checked first!). I was a little hesitant that I had made a mistake, but we didn't experience most of the complaints expressed in other reviews - any issues we had were rectified immediately. I will try to address the more common ones (in no particular order):

Staff: The staff isn't overly friendly; that's fair. But they were never rude to us - they smiled and were helpful when we had questions.

Rooms: The first room that we had smelled of sewage. We asked to be moved to a different room and were moved within 10 minutes. The second room (east side, third floor) had no smells, was clean, had a working air conditioner and phone, and had a fabulous view of the Caribbean. It was definitely spartan, but we didn't go all the way to Isla Mujeres to sit in a room. The appliances worked and we had the basics (television, coffeemaker, hair dryer), although a refrigerator would have been nice. We thought the bed was fine - we didn't ask for a pad or anything.

Restaurant: Don't know. On-site hotel restaurants usually aren't as good and are often expensive. If that bothers you, you probably shouldn't eat at one. This is generally true for all hotels. And all-inclusive usually isn't that great a deal. For this reason, we venture out for food. We did order room service once, though, because it was late and we were tired - no problems there (see Room Service paragraph).

Room Service: When we asked for ice (yes, you do have to ask), we received it both times within five minutes. Ordering food was not an issue, either. It was brought promptly, was hot, and the tray we placed outside the door was removed the next morning.

Maid Service: Don't know. As a habit, we don't use maid service when traveling. We put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave. I wash sheets once a week at home; I don't see the need for greater frequency on vacation (but that may just be my own opinion). Also, the inconvenience of having to make my own bed or ask for new towels outweighs the risk of theft.

Exercise Room: Don't know. It seemed comparable to an exercise room at a mid-range apartment/condo complex.

Pool: Don't know. It looked nice to me (maybe a little small if there are a lot of kids), but we didn't use it. I came for the beach, not the pool.

Miscellaneous: There is no free in-room Wi-Fi, but it's not a huge deal to me to have to walk downstairs to the lobby to get online.
You do have to pay $30 if you lose the beach towel they supply. But that's not terribly unfair, to ask you to be responsible for items loaned to you...

Beach: Just lovely. It must be the dates we traveled that made the difference, but we did not experience any lack of beach chairs, nor did we have to get up at 5 am to reserve one. There were always empty chairs, at every time of day. We swam with the fish and saw sea urchins. I'm not prone to snorkeling, but if you are, it's worth getting at least some cheap gear. The water is warm and clear.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a 5-star resort with frills, gourmet chefs, and staff who speak the Queen's English - this isn't it. It's not trying to be. If you're looking for a beautiful location and are willing to step outside your own culture long enough to experience another, this is a great place.

*This is MEXICO. The national language is SPANISH. Try learning some. You're on their turf.
*You can rent a golf cart or get a taxi, but the island is not really all that big (about 4.5 miles long and .5 miles wide). We are not exercise enthusiasts by any means, but we walked everywhere and enjoyed it a lot (might be a different story with kids).
*Most places aren't air conditioned, because that's a FIRST-WORLD luxury, and it's a THIRD-WORLD country.
*The food is different. For example, a taco comes on a small white flour tortilla, with meat and vegetables. If you want a hard shell and cheese, go to Taco Bell.
*If you want good service, try being a good patron. I don't like dealing with rude, pushy, or "entitled" people, and you probably don't, either. So be kind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We were extremely impressed by the beauty of this location. You can walk to/from the ferry in 15 minutes from here. The rooms were basic but comfortable. The staff speaks Englsh. They let you borrow big beach towels so your bath towels don't get sandy. The pool is lovely and unique. You can lay out on their private beach on their plastic lounge chairs (which are often full) or just lay on the sand. They have a few benches scattered here and there on their property so you can just sit and watch the water or sunset. The price in the offseason was worth it, though you can get cheaper deals very close by. Get a room by the water if possible so you can crack the window and listen to the waves all night. Beware--the wind is often very strong, so if your window is open, hod onto the door to the room carefully because it may slam shut!
We didn't eat here though they do have a restaurant. We preferred to go patronize the other restaurants on the island.

Be aware that the whole island operates on island time--don't come here expecting New York style service (I.e. fast). Just relax and enjoy!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

So pleased we found ourselves here, we even extended our stay. We loved Isla Mujeres and the hotel is in a great location. We booked this hotel in a quick emergency when a different hotel reservation was cancelled just days before hand. On arrival the resort does stick out from the rest of the isla, however the little bridge over is great. We stayed in the villas overlooking the beach and could not have asked for a better spot. The villas are basic, but all you need and our cleaner did a great job keeping it clean. Rooms white washed with traditional Mexican furniture. Little kitchen- which we didn't use (Im not a fan of kitchens in rooms and there is great food on the island) and a bathroom which had a great powerful hot shower. The hotels beach is in a perfect spot, you can walk what feels like miles into the crystal clear sea and still not be waist height! The is some nice little fish to see and snorkel in very shallow waters too. The kings hot tub is a surprising natural find too. Rent a golf cart to get around and explore the other side of the island, and the walk into town is only short. The staff were friendly and helpful on reception and even the gardeners came running to my rescue when I fell over (with my rucksack on back - it was a funny but not pretty sight!).

Room Tip: Get a villa over looking the beach - stunning view before the visitors arrive for the day.
Powell, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our first visit to Isla. Alalon Reef has the best location on the island. I would definitely not recommend staying in the hotel although the price is very resonable, The Villa's are very nice and we got one facing the east and the Sea. Sitting on the patio listening to the waves crash was incredible and watching the sunrise was nice. It was safe and even though we were on the first floor, we left our patio door open all but one night since it stormed. There is security that monitors who comes on to the property and the only access is across the bridge from the main part of Isla. The beach is nice on the north side of the hotel abd my wife and I felt like it was our own private beach since no one used this side. Most folks were on the other beach which was a little better since our side had some seaweed that washes up at the edge of the water that likely freaked some people out. We would stay here again but may check out some of the home and/or condo rentals for the next time we go there which will be soon.

Room Tip: Get a Villa. Well worth the price of the upgrade.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel has the potential be amazing...but unfortunately it fails miserably. The room was a bare box with the most unnecessarily loud a/c know to mankind. Staff have the minimum level of friendliness and service. The location can't get much better but they should't get the credit for that but you can stay somewhere else and still swim in the reef. I really want this place to be more but it just isn't. Don't expect anything and you may feel ok with it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brunswick, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The location of this property is unmatched . My wife and I stayed at avalon in april 2013 and enjoyed our stay from start to finish. The amenities are few at Avalon but if you read any reviews by other posters or have ever been to isla mujeres you know to rent a golf cart and venture out. The property is immaculate and the staff is very efficient . Other people have downgraded the beds at avalon but my wife an I both love a FIRM bed and FIRM it was....FABULOUS !! The so called LOUD air conditioner was never a problem either. Stay in the villas,they are right on the water and WONDERFULLY QUAINT. IN short, I would stay at Avalon Reef Time and Time Again. Thanks to Everyone at Avalon reef for an Outstanding Experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!