“Clean, basic accommodations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Clean, basic accommodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My son and I travelled for the first time to Isla Mujeres to dive the surrounding reefs. We dove with Mundaca Divers, based at the Avalon - a group I highly recommend. The hotel is aging a bit but is kept quite clean. We stayed in a double in the tower with an ocean view. While the room was a bit small, and storage/closet/drawer space was challenging, I really have no complaints. The beds were quite firm, the shower was strong enough and hot, and the AC kept the room pleasant (I am not the type of person who cranks the temp down more than fifteen degrees versus outside). We had no complaints regarding staff service and the food was decent. The hotels location puts it a short walk from Main Street, yet far enough away that you're not bothered at ten at night. I would put Avalon the the "Best Western/Howard Johnson" category. If you're looking for a hotel as the centerpiece of your experience, you may want to look further. If you're looking for something as your home base that won't detract from your trip, then this is pretty safe.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Rooms are basic: no nightstand lamps, no clock (they did a wake up call for us the day we left), coffee and tea not replaced in room daily, did not always get the same number of room towels as they picked up, room was very clean which was hard to maintain with the sand from the beach sticking to us, stand along air conditioner in the room was very noisy and leaked water onto the floor until maintenance came and repaired it, room key cards quit working one afternoon - batteries in the lock were dead and maintenance had to replace (they responded both times very quickly)
Deposit for lock and key for safe - $50-$100
Beach towels exchangeable as you want but very expensive if you loose them
Conceirge in lobby not any help - only wants to sell special trips
We thought breakfast was good - eggs prepared any way you want to order, pancakes, bacon. We ate most of our lunches in Kelly's Bar. The guac and chips and club sandwiches were good. Alex was fun to chat with.
Rosanna and Aracelli at front desk friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ridgefield, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place has no clue about how to treat a guest. One tip to take head of is: If you read lots of reviews before you go, like I did. Then expect it to be so, which I didnt. It was actually worse than I expected. I would not return and beleive it or not thats the question asked when I checked out. NO NO No.
Reason? Very poor customer service. Starts at the front desk and extends to the breakfast.
Breakfast? Food was fine but the guy making it has no care about you. Was told to just wait or shook his head no, when I asked for bacon. why? Because he was too busy making a room order. I paid for a breakfast and I guess I have to wait till it just shows up, which it doesnt.
yes this hotel has the location but staff were not enthused at all. Never go back and stay at a place that just doesnt care.

Room Tip: Dont stay here. Read the reviews about service. You get none at this place.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The safe in standard rooms does not have a lock. You would need to go to the receptionist to request for a lock. On the 2nd day of my vacation at this resort, my cellphone was STOLEN by the cleaning lady. I had my cellphone on the table before I left the room, the night when I came back it was GONE! I had complaint to the front desk in regards to my stolen cellphone. It took about 4 days for the people to investigate on the issue and was not able to find my phone. They were able to compensate for the amount of money I had spent on the phone. (this basically just implies that they know someone stoled my phone and was not able to come clean about it) Regardless if I had my personal belongings out in the open inside the room, NO ONE should steal anything!!! I want to warn everyone out there about this place! This is a 3 star resort that cannot be trusted! Please think twice before staying here!

W Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I spent our 2nd anniversary at Avalon and really enjoyed it. The hotel has seen better days but we enjoyed our 2nd floor studio unit/villa overlooking the Kings bathtub. Great open tile shower big enough for two, plenty of hot water, reasonably comfortable bed (with a foam pad on wife's side), screen door on deck so we could leave open and hear surf at night (so loud we had to shut it a couple nights)- never used AC. Nice little kitchen with micro, fridge, sink, coffee maker , very clean, friendly staff but had to pay for coffee in room which is kind of irritating. Aricelli at the front desk was very helpful and professional
Very decent breakfast buffet and OK bar snacks but not much for dinner which is OK because there are dozens of very good restaurants in town, a 20 minute walk. Rental golf cart a nice luxury for a few days.
The hotel property is premier spot on the beach and generally quiet (no partying at night which suits us) but beware that the shallow channel between the hotel and main island draws boatloads, literally, of snorkelers between 11 and late pm every day so it can get little noisy for snoozing on the beach. A bit shallow for snorkeling right around the hotel but good spot to introduce someone new to it, and fine spot for SUPing or just splashing around.

Onsite dive shack, Manduca, was competent and the underwater museum is worth checking out, and some decent reef with lots of fish. Issac was GREAT for dive master, Isla native who went to U Wisconsin and is totally bilingual and very patient with my novice wife snorkeler.

Standout restaurants/meals included lobster tacos at Soggy Peso, WONDERFUL breakfasts at Mango (the stuffed pablona was simply marvelous) and nice/hip vibe with eclectic menu at Magagua. Really didn't have a bad meal in 10 days, and lots of good camerones and pescador, of course.

Definitely worth renting a golf cart and checking out the island a day or two, especially the eastern point Punta Sur)- the first place the sun's rays touch Mexico in the AM- kinda cool.

Room Tip: one of the studio/villa units; we chose surf side which is great but almost too noisy on occasion
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Urbandale, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our stay was really great. Beautiful location, great staff, good food and friendly people at the resort. We like to snorkel and we could do that right on the property. We were there in January of 2012.

The only think we didn't like was the bed was extremely hard and the hot water was limited.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Stillwater, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was decent and had a great beach and the staff were friendly and helpfull. The down side is that you have to walk a fair distance to Hidalgo street and the center of town. My wife and I used the hotel for what we needed....a place to sleep while we weren't out eating, swimming, sun tanning and eating/drinking more. Everyone from the island talks about the great snorkeling around the hotel and it's true....schools of fish are all over and many different kinds. On windy days (which were often at our stay) it's tough to find a decent spot to get out of the wind/blowing sand.
I would recommend this place for someone who wants to grab a decent hotel. we toured the island and grabbed brochures for smaller resorts and will look into those next time. If you want a nice beach, great snorkeling don't care about having a smaller room (why are you in your room in isla accept to sleep??), stay here. Go out and experience the food and people of the island..all great! and make sure to stop by Cheap Shots bar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!