“Love the location...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
EL MIRAGE, AZ
“Love the location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been going to the Avalon on Isla Mujeres since 2004 and love it. It is true it has declined in services and ammenities since then, but on our recent trip (12/5-12/13) we noticed some serious improvements. The rooms are stark but you have everything you need. Its very clean and well kept. The location is second to none on Isla. Make sure you get a villa or studio room away from the main hotel tower. Seriously huge difference. This hotel is literally surrounded by water. On one side the waves crash endlessly, on the other smooth and gentle, perfect for floating all day long. There is also a small, protected area right off the hotel beach where the snorkeling is fantastic. The food is ok, nothing to write home about. Breakfast is very good but way too expensive! Drinks are fairly priced and the bartenders and waiters are efficient. (Love that they have a waiter on the beach.) We usually eat in town where the food is excellent and there's lots of variety. The housekeeping staff is super friendly and accomodating. The staff on the whole is excellent but may be in need of some additional training. We had key card issues the entire trip...not fun. It seemed like it was no big deal to the front desk, like we should be grateful that we had to have an escort to our room every time we wanted to get in it. Lets just say they should have moved us sooner. Also, no phones??? Coffee only once??? C'mon man!!! But we loved our room and our stay was still great. We do realize this is Mexico and we may need to chill out a bit. So overall 4 stars. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: Second floor villa on the King's bath side
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
petaluma, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I would agree with all the commentary on the hotel. It is rough around the edges. Check your reservations and all the included or excluded amenities. Roxana and Cesar are by far the best to deal with any and all issues once you get there. Clue that you are in Mexico. The coffee packages are offered only once upon arrival.?? Lots of little rules to follow. However, we did enjoy the location, by far the nicest place to feel like you are away from it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,
Baldwinsville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is most definitely a beautiful location but Avalon is a terrible company to deal with, very difficult to make reservations. amenities are sparse and service poor. We were bombarded with sales personel trying to push time shares and the drinks were very watered down. We have been to the island several times Avalon has been by far the worst if the resorts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The only thing is not clear to me is the part of the timeshare sale, because we don't have timeshare sales in the hotel?
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Isla Mujeres was most enjoyable.

Yours sincerely
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Finally , an Apple hotel with character and personality. Not your standard plastic, boring hotel all with the same amenities and nowhere else to go. Because the Avalon Reef Club is on its own island there is no traffic at all - you really feel secluded even tho you are within walking distance of town. The hotel was very clean - people were constantly sweeping away the sand and watering the grass and bushes. The service was fantiastic - everyone was friendly and after 24 hours they knew us and our room number so ordering and paying was easy. I would especially like the thank Roxana and Cesar on the front desk, Jesus and Saul in the bar and Richardo, one of the managers who was ultra efficient and helpful. Yes, the beds are hard, but we slept like rocks and opened the window as wide as it would go rather than use the air conditioner. The sound of the waves is very soothing. We found the food to be excellent altho we also ate downtown due to the variety of restaurants. Would return anytime.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors (4,5,) on either side have the best views or ask for a villa. The villas...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I specifically chose the Avalon Reef Club on Isla Mujeres for their dive shop, Mundaca Divers. Although the resort is a bit rough around the edges, it does have some big pluses going for it. The resort is actually on an island of its own and you have to cross a bridge to get there. Because of that, you will feel a bit more secluded even though it's still very easy to access everything you need in 'town.' The rooms and food are decent, but you'll probably want to sample some of the excellent restaurants in town. The views surrounding the resort are magnificent-try go get a room facing the Caribbean. I woke up every morning to a beautiful sunrise and I left my window open so I could hear the waves breaking on the shore. The resort also has a decent fitness center. If you're looking to get away from the crowds, this is the place for you. On the other hand, if you like to be in the middle of things and have a bit more excitement, there are much better options on Mujeres.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Honestly, they couldn't seem to get anything right. They give us a room directly across from the garbage, weren't particularly friendly or would go out of their way when we wanted to move (we did, and it was a big improvement). When we did move on the 3rd day I had to go to the lobby and wait and wait for the receptionist's attention twice because the keys didn't work. The beds were awful, they were so hard we barely slept and I can sleep anywhere, and the rooms are small. They have no reading lamp in the room, only a bright overhead light, and couldn't give me one when I asked. We got locked out of our room and had to wait for maintenance to break the latch lock. The housekeepers kept entering our room while we were still in bed (no latch lock). I ordered room service, quesadillas, and the cheese was not melted and refrigerator cold. After I complained they microwaved it, turning the whole thing to rubber and brought it back to me. All of the food was disgusting.

Worst of all, the staff just seemed very unhappy, and it showed because no one seemed interested in ensuring that we had a good stay. Last year we stayed at Nabalam where everyone smiles, is happy, and will go out of their way to help you, and the food is outstanding. We ended up spending more time in their restaurant than at Avalon. Avalon's only redeeming quality is the beach access, which I believe is the best on the island. We plan to return to Nabalam in the future, and if they're not available will likely choose a different destination.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The interaction with our staff member with regards to your comments about your bad service experience is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire
service team as a training exercise,

Yours sincerely
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My family and I spent Christmas Day through New Years here. This was the second stay for my parents but it had been 5 years since their last visit. This being said had we know it had gone down hill so badly we never would have booked here a second time. The location cannot be beat but other than that this place is AWFUL! The wait staff is down right incompetent and rude. If it wasn't for Alex who worked his butt off everyone would go hungry there. The rooms smelt like sewage and the beds were the hardest things I have ever felt in my life! Also they have free standing air conditioning units and it only cools the area where you sleep leaving the bathroom and sink area a sauna. So getting ready only to sweat is not ideal. We paid extra for the all inclusive that for some reason they had done away with over the years and now I see why, we eneded up eating out almost every night because the food was so awful and that was if we could even get waited on. So needless to say we paid for our meals twice. It is very sad since this place does have such a prime location and USE TO BE a nice resort.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!