“Incredible Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

You added Mia Reef Isla Mujeres to your Saves list
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha s/n Int 7 | Islote Yunque, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Olympia, WA
“Incredible Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I spent one night at this awesome location. The Avalon Reef Club is an older mexican style hotel with both hotel rooms and ocean front suites, that are separate from the hotel. We stayed in one of the suites as a free upgrade. The view was amazing, overlooking the Carribean and a snorkeling/diving reef. We snorkeled in a 50 yards from our room in complete privacy without going through a tour service. This hotel sits on a point on North Beach in Isla Mujeres. In that it was low season, the crowds were minimal and mainly consisted of Mexican and European vacationers. We booked the hotel via hotel. com two days before we arrived and got an excellent rate. As noted, the hotel is an older mexican style hotel, not a big glitzy Cancun style resort. There is a swimming pool, beautiful beach you can lay on with beach chairs. The North Beach area in Isla Mujeres is the "main" beach on the island with lots of restaurants in the area. If we were to return, I would definitely stay here over any other place we saw. Its a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal that you utilize to get from the mainland. Renting a scooter or a golf cart, while sounding fun is totally unnecessary unless you want to go see most of the island which is generally wind swept and uninhabited.

Room Tip: The beach front suites are the absolute best way to go
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ServiceAvalon, Guest Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your nice words. It will be our joy to have you again at the Reef. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This hotel is in a beautiful location, the staff are friendly, enjoyed my stay. We got a great rate booking online and the hotel gave us a free upgrade (no idea why) to one of their cabin style rooms facing the ocean!
The food is decent at the hotel, only a few blocks walk from various shops and restaurants, keep an eye out for stingrays in the beach.

The "Kings Bath" or "Piscina del Rey" in the back is a lot of fun, go early in the morning and it is packed full of fish who can't leave when the tide is low.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying at the Reef, and sharing with us your vacation experience. We hope to have you back real soon!
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I found the Avalon Reef Club to be an outstanding vacation spot for someone needing lots of rest and relaxation. I stayed in a one bedroom suite overlooking Kings Bath -- probably the best view I've had in all my travels in the Caribbean. The furtiture was a bit worn and the bed hard but I've found that to be true in all but the most costly of resorts in Mexico. The Staff was absolutely superb -- many thanks to the friends I made who looked after me so well the entire week. The food was excellent I thought -- cudos to the chef! The drinks were strong and not overly expensive. The cleaning staff worked very hard and my place was spotless. If you go expecting the Ritz Carlton, you are going to be disappointed, but if your expectations are not over the top then I think you'll have a best vacation ever. I would go back in a heartbeat -- and plan to next year if not sooner!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments, This means the world to us and we thank you for letting us be part of your experience in the Caribe.
Hopefully we will have you with us real soon.
Conway, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We read all the reviews before booking at Avalon. We knew it might not be perfect, but we were willing to give it a try based on location. We had a marvelous vacation and are planning to return to Isla. The tower rooms are not fancy, but they were clean and mostly comfortable (the beds are pretty hard). The staff was friendly and attentive. The location is absolutely amazing. As I'm reading reviews and planning the next trip, this one is at the top of the list based on location and value.

Room Tip: Bring a screw driver to open your window.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
thank you for considering comming back to the Reef. hopefully you will return to Avalon and will give us a chance to show you even better ways to spend your vacations.Thank you for your comments again!
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We booked one night here. We were staying in Cancun and wanted to visit this resort so we took the ferry over and saw the sights. The hotel is average. The location is what you go for. The pool was nice but although there is a swim up bar - there is no one manning it and no drinks. The room we got in the main building was simple. The air is a stand alone unit and is was satisfactory. If you are used to all inclusives, this won't be for you. I saw it as a quiet and relaxing place. No pool games, no music, etc. We enjoyed our short visit. We checked out the natural snorkeling area behind the grounds - small but we saw unique things. The snorkeling out front at the entrance area was great. It felt like we were swimming in an aquarium. We walked into town for dinner and ate at Angelo's. It was very tasty pizza. $10 for 8 cut. We met Angelo and complimented him. We rented a golf cart for $30 for 2 hours. We visited the Turtle Farm ($3 pp to get in) and enjoyed that. We liked just driving and seeing the island and buying shells and necklaces off locals selling them along the way for good prices. We did eat breakfast at the hotel. Denny's prices. The location and view was great for breakfast. We enjoyed visiting for the two days. Would we stay a week? No, we are too used to all-inclusives and many activities. It makes for a great excursion from Cancun at an inexpensive cost - an adventure as my kids called it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was the very best location on the island of Isla Mujeres.
We had a '"Villa" overlooking the beach. It was mostly one big room with a kitchenette and a separate bathroom. Our Villa had a lovely balcony which overlooked the gorgeous turquoise beach. This hotel is on its own island and is joined to the main island by a bridge. It only about a 10-15 minute pleasant walk to the center of town. The island has about 3 separate beaches surrounding it and all of them had good snorkelling which is what we went for. There is also an area called "The Kings Bath" which is a natural pool formed by surrounding rocks. The pool is about 5 ft. deep and has an excellent assortment of fish you can snorkel with. The waves bounce over the rocks allowing a fresh supply of sealife and from the pool you can see a small islet which seems to be the home of giant white pelicans. The resort was a very romantic spot and a great place for photographers. Amazing sunsets every night. I walked to town every morning (3wk stay). It was 20 minutes to the market where I bought fresh deli meat and scrumptious cheeses and fresh baked bread. So we made our breakfast and lunched and then went to town and ate a different restaurant each evening. The restaurant fare was varied and all of it delicious . There was usually music and often street musicians playing at the outside sitting areas. Perfect ,perfect!

Room Tip: The main hotel doesn't have balconies or kitchenettes and the
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The staff is cooperative and eager to ensure you have a good stay. I read some bad reviews before getting to the resort. So I checked with the staff on checkin: I said I had heard of problems with A/C and no hot water and problems with toilets. They said sir, we don't have those issues and we'll be happy to assist you in any way. Well they were correct.

Great things:
- Hotel and the Rooms were clean
- Bathroom worked fine - toilets and hot water
- Staff was friendly
- The beach is awesome. They probably have the best beach on that side of the island. And nobody goes there unless they are staying at the resort. It's the only beach with interesting coral and fish. The rest of the beaches in the area are just pure sand and really not that interesting until you just want to be a couch potato in the water.
- The kings bath (I think that's what they call it) is really nice. You can just sit there forever and let the tide-pool water pour into the basin area. Very safe area away from the waves but you can venture out a little and have some fun too.
- Can't say enough about the beach. It is shallow but there are many places to go around the hotel.
- The staff was really good. I never had any issues with anyone - they are all top notch and very helpful. They even helped me fix a problem with a snorkel fin (duct taped it).
- There is a dive center at the end of the block Just walk towards town and as you take the left it's there. The boats they use are directly off the wood bridge - so you don't have to walk far to get to the dive boat. They have reasonable dives and although I didn't dive with the resort I think they do a better job than the resort. Plus the resort dive people just weren't friendly enough for me.
- Food in-town is great. Avoid the ex-pats (American and Canadians). Eat where the locals are eating and you'll have a good meal and it's will be inexpensive.
- Lots of interesting shops with local hand made stuff along the roads going into town and in-town.
- We went to Garrafon and it was fun. It's a little pricey but a lot of fun. Do the zipline it's a blast.
- The best thing is I'd go back there, so that's saying a lot. It's fun.
- A big Thank You to the Mexican people - who always treat me and my friends very well. Gracias amigos! Muy bien!
- Oh and there is no safety issue in Mexico. If you aren't doing something stupid - then you'll have a great time there.
- You're on an island off the main island. Pretty cool. There is a short bridge connecting the resort to the rest of the island. It's a really interesting resort being separated like it is.
- Most of the pictures you see on the resort website are accurate. It's a very nice resort.
- They have a kinda cool wood bridge (if it were a little safer). I wish they would fix all the broken bolts and loose planks - but I "guess" it's safe enough.

AA Vacations is the Worst Place to Book!!!
- I booked this vacation through AA Vacations - the flight and the hotel. They sucked. They advertised the resort as all inclusive - NOT. They had it listed in four places on the website as discounted all inclusive deals. They had no issues mis-advertising the resort all over the website. When I called them on it - they weren't really sure about all inclusive and couldn't be bothered to find out. I had to call the resort to get a definitive answer. They haven't been all inclusive at this resort in years. I finally wrote some emails to get to the bottom of the problem and AA finally changed the website. But of course I wasn't credited for the lack of all inclusive. Nope - same price without all-inclusive as when they mis-advertised it. Can't say enough bad things about the hassle I had with AA and AA Vacations. By the time I had AA fix all those problems they wouldn't honor my prior quote (because it's not really a quote it's just the rate at that time). So the rate actually went up and i got worse flights. And they could not and would not do anything about compensation for the issues they caused Customer service doesn't matter to AA. You either book it or you don't and AA could care less. Hardest time I've ever had to get a vacation.

Interesting but Not so Great:
- We had a plan that came with breakfast. It's very fixed - you get one OJ and a nice breakfast. If you want another OJ it's just about the same cost of the buffet breakfast. So the manager in the restaurant just tells you to buy the breakfast. It's really not the expensive that irks everyone, but it really ticks off most guests to be forced into buying breakfast when it's already included on your tab.
- So my advise is don't buy a plan with a breakfast. The breakfast is reasonably priced and has lots of made to order items.
- I wouldn't bother eating on the resort. It's ok, but go into town and you'll get some really good Mexican food.
- The drinks are good at the hotel but they are a little pricey. They aren't priced outrageous considering you're on the resort.
- Bring lots of sunblock for it's expensive in Mexico.
- The beach out to the left of the restaurant has lots of rocks - so wear beach shoes.
- If you go to the beach near the bridge it's mostly clean of coral and rocks.
- The beach is shallow all around the hotel - but it's still nice.
- Bring snorkeling gear. This is the only beach it's useful at at that end of the island. So you're in for a treat that other people staying at other resorts nearby don't get. They actually have a reef off this resort - and plenty of fish.
- Bring your own snorkeling gear as rental is expensive.

Advise:
- You have to get a cab to the hotel since they won't pick you up and don't offer transfers. So negotiate the rate before you get in the cab. I don't remember how much it cost but it's like $6 I think. Give them a tip. It's a short ride from the airport to the hotel.
- Everything except the hotel is negotiable. Almost everything you see in town for sale at the smaller shops can be had for 60% of list price or whatever they tell you for a price up front. Negotiate.
- Speak Spanish!!! You're in Mexico - learn something before going. It will make your trip more fun and you'll be able to discuss price, food and other essential items with the local people.

Room Tip: You can get the best rate from discounters - don't use the hotel website to book
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Mia Reef Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!