“Captain Tony is wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

(011) (52) (998) 877- 0229
Website
Improve this listing
Plattsmouth, Nebraska
“Captain Tony is wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We booked a trip with Captain Tony to Isla Contoy and went with his brother Alberto and nephew Noah. There were 5 in our group and 3 other passengers. We walked by his house and he was outside and we booked for the following day weather permitting. The 5 of us had never snorkeled before and 2 of us didn't have snorkel fins so Captain Tony loaned us 2 pairs of his to use so we could practice that day. How nice! The next day we met at his house and left with Alberto and Noah. I made sure to check with Captain Tony that they were good cooks. He insisted that they were. We set out for the boat and left right away. The boat is fairly small and the water was kind of rough but the weather was beautiful. We had a blast on the boat going over all the waves. We went straight to the island and were the first or second group there and had it pretty much all to ourselves. The other passengers Mac, Linda and Diane were great travel companions and we all happened to be staying at the Posada del Mar. We snorkeled for several hours and walked the trails of the beautiful island. All the birds on the island were fascinating and it sounded like you were in Jurassic Park. We saw many fish including barracudas and rays. While we were snorkeling Noah and Alberto were preparing a FEAST! We had chicken, tixnchix amberjack fish, guacamole rice and I can't remember what else. It was one of the best meals we had while on vacation.
Don't book this trip with anyone else!
Thank you Captain Tony, Noah and Alberto, we will see you next year!

Visited January 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“Captain Tony has been our choice for over 20 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We first went on a snorkeling trip with Captain Tony when I was 16 years old with my Mother; now I bring my children back to Isla and we only go on boat trips with Captain Tony because he is dependable and safe. He really cares about his passengers safety. While my husband and I snorkled he watched my son on the boat and let him feed the tropical fish to keep him happy! I would only trust Captain Tony on any trip from Isla Mujers...quality, safety and someone who truly knows everything about the turtles, sharks, fish, nature and really cares about his passengers safety!

Visited June 2011
Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Went on 2 trips with Cap. Tony and his first mate Noah in August and they were by far the high points of fantastic our trip to Isla. Read multiple recommendations on T.A. and decided we had to put ourselves in Tony's hands; I can honestly say it was a fantastic decision.

We did the Whale Shark trip first; it is a longer trip and included a snorkelling 'side trip' on the way back, plus an incredible ceviche lunch.

Our second trip was a much shorter snorkelling trip to the Lighthouse that offered a different but also outstanding experience.

Tony was amazing; knows & loves the area and it's waters. Stopped or slowed on the way many times to observe pods of dolphins, porpoises, sea turtles, flying fish, rays, etc. etc. There is no 'rush rush' with Tony, and the enthusiasm / wonder he shows for nature around his beloved Island is totally infectious.

The Whale Shark experience is itself truly incredible and one I would characterize it as a 'once in a lifetime' and 'must do' activity. Swimming with them is like nothing you have or will likely ever do. Tony went above and beyond in reassuring our son (understandably nervous around these 40', 20 ton creatures and making the day especially enjoyable for him.

A couple of tips if you want to sail with Tony:

- Book directly with Tony. There are people all over the island selling tours who basically act as brokers and you can end up with almost any boat / captain / crew if you book through them. Drop by Tony's place in person if you want to make sure you get the 'real' Tony experience!

- Be patient. Tony needs a minimum number of passengers to do a trip; if he does not get the minimum he will give you the option of going with a colleague (I recommend you wait for the 'real thing'). Also Tony is a safety first kind of guy and if the weather is risky he won't sail.

Visited August 2011