“Million Dollar View” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chichi's 'n Charlies

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Chichi's 'n Charlies
You added Chichi's 'n Charlies to your Saves list
Av Rueda Medina no 50, Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico   |
Vancouver
“Million Dollar View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Reserved back in November, requesting the suite, room #9 but they said it was booked. I then asked for room #8 & after confirming with the manager they confirmed it was available. I paid my deposit & got my confirmation coupon stating I had reserved room #8. I had some concerns whether this would go smoothly or not based on past reviews. We arrived at 1:30 pm & presented my reservation to Benito. I told him we had room #8 booked & he said no. I said yes we do & he said no, that room has been booked for months. I said, yes, by me & I showed him my confirmation stating room #8 but he said no, Antonio missed booked me. Then I said no he didn’t then showed him the thread of emails stating that he confirmed with Benito that we could have #8 then he knew he was in a jam. And I was not backing down. He said someone is already in room #8 & I kept on asking why he confirmed I could have it & said I paid a deposit for #8 & what was he going to do about it. He knew I was not going to give up & probably knew I was going to demand a refund of my deposit then suddenly room #9 was available the next night for the remainder of our stay but I would have to stay in room #4 for the 1st night. DONE, I was happy, that was the room I originally wanted & wondered why they did not offer this to me back in November. So now on to my review of room 4. This is located on the ground floor, on left side facing beach side of building. Not quite a corner as the maid closet is on the corner. This room is basic, rustic, primitive, small but you get what you pay for. THE LOCATION. I did extensive research on Chi Chis prior & I knew what we were booking. No surprises. My husband had other issues like exposed electrical, intermittent hot water, holes in bedding ants & things of that nature but the room was clean & that’s all I cared about. You simply can not get any closer to the beach than this, in fact it is located on the beach in the sand. LOCATION. I loved being able to park our golf cart on the sand at the base of the building. I knew we were moving on to room 9 which would be a step up which would make my husband feel better. The next day came & Benito told us we could move at 1:30 & he kept his word. There is 2 double beds pushed together to make a king & the room was large. There are 2 massive decks here, one over the restaurant & the other off the back room where the bathroom is located that has a couch that folded to make a bed for my son. The couch is dirty but they place a clean comforter over it so that was fine for me. You have to be very careful about food in the rooms & with a Toddler that is difficult. There is also someone living in the back half of the top & they kept their garbage by our entrance so it attracted ants under our door. One evening we came home for dinner & my husband pulled back the covers to a ton of ants. I discovered my son had been eating a sucker on our bed so they were attracted to that. I cleaned it up & the ants did not come back, well not many came back. There was paint peeling/hanging from the ceilings & tons of bugs in the light covers. We had a resident gecko who came to visit us, he lived behind the painting outside our door but would come in to check on us. I like him although he made me a bit nervous as he would hang out behind the painting above our bed. These rooms are in desperate need of repair but being a Re/Max Realtor, I would call this a tear down. Not worth repairing. The air conditioning worked great & so did the fridge though no freezer section in this unit, as had in #4. Broken tile all over the place & we were lucky if we had hot water. I could go on & on but to summarize. These are very basic, rustic, in need of repair accommodations with the perks of some wildlife. But for the location, the proximity to the best beach & water, and the money we paid, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. My husband is the fancy pants in this marriage & he feels a bit different. He agrees you can not get a better location on the island if water & the beach is your thing & he agrees with kids it is ideal. But we have agreed that this is not a place we would spend our entire time at, 4 nights max. Benito & staff were great, especially the young girl who cleaned our room everyday. She did a great job considering what she had to work with. I can’t wait to come back next year. Benito gave me his personal email so that there would be no problems reserving room #9. I will be back next year!

Room Tip: #9 is the best, then #8
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I didn't enjoy my stay at Chi Chi and Charlies. This place is a bar/restaurant first and a hotel a distant second. The owner was nice at check in and check out but I didn't see him much other than that. The restaurant staff were not friendly. Even when it wasn't busy, they would be on their phones and completely ignoring you. I sat at a table... no other customers were there and there were 3 waiters around. No one came to me. I had to get up and ask for a menu and then waited 15 minutes for someone to come and ask what I wanted but no one came so I had to go to the bar and order. The bartender told me the waiter had to take the order, hahaha! The food was alright.

My room was on the first floor and was the corner unit closest to the beach walkway. It wasn't great for privacy because if I left my curtains open, all the people at the bar and on the beach would see right into my room. The room is very basic as is the bathroom. The fridge worked and so did the hot water and air conditioning but the water pressure in the shower could be improved. I showered in the afternoons so I had hot water but other guests who showered in the morning said they ran out. It would be nice if they left a small broom on the shared porch/walkway so that you could sweep the sand off.

The cleaning lady did a good job and after my first night she changed the thin, white sheet curtains (which let light in) to heavy dark curtains so I had more privacy.

I was told when I booked my room that loud music wouldn't be a problem here, day or night. The truth is the bar blares music at all hours. There is no set time when they turn it off. One night they might turn it off at 7pm and another night it might be on until 1am. If people are hanging out at the bar, even if there's no music, you will hear them talking because the bar is very close to the hotel rooms. The music was the same everyday. I love Lorde and her song Royals but I swear, I heard it every hour.

The location is great if you want to be right on the beach, but next time I go to Isla Mujeres, I will stay in the town and walk to the beach when I want to. If you're a hotel guest you can use their beach chairs for free (otherwise it's 200 pesos!!!) but they don't want you to sit in the front row but the water, they want you further back, which is completely ridiculous!

I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the loud bar as possible. But you still won't sleep well.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were on Isla Mujeres in August and have been there 3 or 4 other times. Can someone tell me how to make reservations for ChiChi and Charlie's. We've walked by it several times and would like to stay there this year in the fall. Thanks for your help.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucerias
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

A wonderful beach. A beautiful ocean view. A great palapa bar with super friendly staff. Take some sun in a lounge chair by the water and sip on a cold beverage brought to you by a smiling waiter. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was our fifth year to stay here. And this will be a two part review.
PART ONE
This year we spent 21 days here. I called Benito back in May to tell him when we needed a room. He said he put us in his book. When we got there Benito was on vacation, so I started to worry . Rudolfo was taking his place. He opened the book and no names . Luckily they had rooms. We weren't given the one we like room # 8 because Charlie(owner) had changed everything. He wants $100.00 for that room now. The only difference we could see was the $2.00 plastic chain across the balcony . The next day we notice there are cameras everywhere. And there was Charlie running screaming at anybody who would listen to him. Three people quit in two weeks while he was there. He is building two new bars close to the Islander tour dock to try to get all booze cruise visitors, not a good idea if you're looking to relax . The other change this time was about the beach chairs & umbrella that were available for us to use as hotel guests. We were not allowed to be in the first row because it was for paying customers. I said I will take it up with Benito when he gets back, I didn't know he would be gone for two weeks. About a week later Omar the waiter that works that section at 4:15 decides to take our umbrella and tells move stuff somewhere else. This did not go over very good with me so waited him to go to the bar and talk to him about it. Charlie was sitting right there while I had lot of choice words with Omar, ending with "You can't treat me like i'm trash." Charlie did nothing at all. The next day we moved to Rudolfo's section. Also during the first 2 weeks we did most of our own "housekeeping" We even bought bleach.
NOW PART TWO .
Benito is back happy days again. First he asked why we weren't in room #8, I told him what I was told. He asked if we would like to move, at this point I said no. Next we talked about the Omar thing. He said we could sit anywhere we wanted and would talk to Omar. Benito talked to Omar, Omar quit (or was fired) the next day. The rest of the week went great .
I don't if we will stay here again .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Wow,

been there in April, easy to bargain a room at 50$ a night right in front of the north beach.

Had great time there at the beach, at the bar, in the room !!!

Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortables. The service is A1 and friendly.

If I ever return in Isla Mujeres I will be back to Charlies

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota City, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family of four, (my wife and two boys 6 and 15) stayed here March 6th-11th. We had a great time. The hotel is very laid back and easy going. The staff was great and our room was cleaned daily. The location is perfect, on the beach and close to the shops and restaurants. The bartender was also friendly. It does not have 5 star amenities, but that is what we were looking for. We are planning to go back this fall.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4, but they are close to the beach and bar.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chichi's 'n Charlies? Share your experiences!