“Looking for a quiet, private, enjoyable hotel - Media Luna is the one to pick!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa La Media Luna Hotel

You added Playa La Media Luna Hotel to your Saves list
Playa La Media Luna Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Seccion Rocas, Lotes 9 y 10, Punta Norte, Smz 1, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 28 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

We found this accomodation to be the greatest place for a restful, oceanside choice. There are only 18 rooms which means that even if they are very busy the 'people traffic' is at a minimum. Terrific spot for laying out on their beach beds and or near the pool, complete privacy here from the main beach). To add to this, the view of the Caribbean Sea is beautiful. Playa (Spanish for beach) Norte which is a five minute walk just around the corner from Media Luna is well-known for its swimming, snorkelling and public resting areas along the long, wide strip of white sandy beach. Main downtown area is within close walking distance from the hotel too. Easy to access to cheap transportation, ie., scooter, golfcart, taxi, if you are interested in exploring the south end of the island where there is lots to see.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Despite having made a number of trips to Isla Mujeres,I had never stayed on the north end of the island more often settling mid island or on the south end. I was a little concerned, when making reservations at Playa Media Luna that it would be too loud due to its proximity to El Centro and the Hildalgo entertainment district.

My concerns were completely unfounded. Like so many places on Isla Mujeres, I found this hotel to be extremely comfortable, clean and so very well situated on Half Moon Beach. Due to the location of the hotel, it is as if its guests almost have this private little beach to themselves.

On my recent stay, it was a very good value at approximately $130 per night for a king room facing the ocean. Note that the staff will give you a 10% discount on your room rate if you pay in cash (American Dollars). I wasn't aware of this when I checked in. But, I will certainly take advantage of that in the future.

The rooms in the hotel all have balconies or porches that face the hotel pool and the Caribbean. It is wonderfully relaxing to throw open the windows of your room and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the surf every night.

If you want to explore the island, the hotel has a special arrangement with a golf cart provider that is far more affordable that the rate offered on golf carts in El Centro.

The wonderful poolside patio makes for a nice place for guest to congregate and get to know each other better during their stays.

Like most hotels on the island, the hotel has limited cable television with only a couple of English speaking stations. All rooms are air conditioned and have showers with good hot water (which can sometimes be a challenge on the island).

Hotel Playa La Media Luna is a really nice hotel for the money. I will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I was travelling with my spouse, mother and her friend over New Years; it was a last minute trip and rooms were hard to come by. We settled on Media Luna and were we ever glad we did!!! At first glance of our rooms I didn't feel comfortable on the ground floor but after the first day I discovered it was the best! We were beach from literally right from our door, no stairs to climb and we could easily go back to the room to grab more beer or whatever we needed.

The continential b-fast was very convenient; we would have a PB toast & coffee every morning out on our balcony while sharing the scraps with the local cat who I called 'negro'.

The walk to the restaurants at night was a bit of a longer one compared to other hotels, but really it was only about 5 minutes.

Our beach was VERY private and quiet and I found TONS of Beach Glass and Sea Shells - it was a beach combers paradise.

If you are thinking of staying here DO IT - you will love it!!!

• Stayed January 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

This is the third time I have stayed at Hotel Playa la Media Luna. The location, views, cleanliness, grounds and very comfortable mattresses are worth the stay. These are simple, clean ocean facing rooms with a balcony or patio for each, and a fridge. The bathrooms have been updated since my last visit in 2004. I think the mattresses may be memory-foam. You walk out of your room to, in MHO, one of the best views on the island, cute lounging areas and pool right beside the ocean on its own white sand beach (no swimming here-the current is too strong). It is also within easy walking distance of everything on the North end, while being secluded from the street noise. The front desk is very helpful. One would honestly pay $$$$ for a hotel with an oceanside location like this in the States-so well worth the little splurge.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

If you are thinking of staying here DO IT - you will love it!!!

• Stayed January 2010
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed in the Bungalow and loved it. I have stayed on two different rooms in the hotel in the past and they were not as spacious and comfortable as the bungalow. The bungalow has a small beach area all to itself. I stayed there by myself for 3 days and then was joined by my boyfriend for 4 days and he loved it as much as I did. It is close to everything in town, yet far enough away to be very quiet at night. The only sound is the ocean. We felt it was quite secure. The only negative thing I have to say regards one of the men at the front desk. His name was Alonzo. I ask for the other plastic chair for the patio numerous times and he said he would bring it--he never did. On our departure, he took us in his taxi to the dock and overcharged us. His attitude was hateful at best. The rest of the employees were wonderful and very helpful, especially the maintenance guys and the maids. I will definitely go back and stay again--hopefully soon. It is a beautiful setting.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

My friend and I are in Mexico for almost 6 weeks. We booked a week at Media Luna standard room in the new section of this beautiful smallish hotel. As soon as we arrived we were delighted and jumped into the pool after our full day of travel from
Vancouver,Canada. We enjoyed the cleanliness and quiet or room is right by the pool with an ocean view. when the week was up we didn't want to leave and worked out a great deal to stay on for two more weeks. Half price whats posted on line. we have looked all around the island and can't find such a nice place at such a reasonable price. Its close to Town and Playa Norte is only 5 minutes walk. I think I'll be back here with my family next year.

• Liked — very clean ,Quiet ,safe internet,pool
  • Disliked — misquitos, no restaurant near by
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Playa La Media Luna Hotel? Share your experiences!