“Capi's Apartment - WAS GREAT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capi's Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Capi's Apartments
You added Capi's Apartments to your Saves list
Calle Boquinete | Lt 10 Mz 173 Col La Gloria, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Capi's Apartment - WAS GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at Capi's Apartment in April for 15 days. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to give them a try. I emailed the owners Sue & Miguel regarding our stay. Sue emailed me right back, helped me with some details and we were booked. This was our first trip to Isla Mujeres and we would go again in a heartbeat. We arrived later than expected after a delay at Cancun Airport, took USA Transfer to the port where we took the ferry over to Isla. Took taxi to Capi's (20 pesos) from ferry area to the La Gloria neighborhood on the southside of Isla. Quiet neighborhood where Miguel was waiting for us. He let us into our apartment and explained details of kitchen etc. and asked if we would like to go for a quick spin around the neighborhood on his golf cart. He showed us where the small grocery store was, small family run bakery and good mexican food, La Bruja. We jumped off the cart, ordered and Miguel instructed the owner to please deliver our order to apartment. It was already 10pm and we were tired. Miguel & Sue were very helpful with suggestions and just a phone call away. The apartment was very clean, the kitchen was great to have as it meant not all our meals were eaten out. Every morning we made coffee and sat outside on balcony watching the little children go to school. In the afternoon we would take a taxi or the little local mini-bus ( 8 pesos each) to the north side of Isla, lay on the beach all day (Hard Life). I would stay here again. It was nice going to the northside (hotels, shops etc) during the day but returning to the southside at night - very quiet. The local people were very friendly and helpful. Wish we were there right now!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed at Capi's Apt. for 31 nights. I arrived not knowing the neighbourhood. Miguel was there to greet me. He showed me around the apt. and took me to La Bruja where I had dinner. It was a very safe neighbourhood with wonderful neighbours. The people on my street were all so very friendly and always had a welcome smile and a Hola for me every day. The apt. was very comfortable with no complaints whatsoever ... although ear plugs are necessary on Sat. nights for the parties lol and the roosters as well.

The kindergarden across the street was filled with adorable children every morning. The location was in LaGloria far from el centro which I enjoyed. It was nice to have the interaction of the local families. Playa Lancheros was a 5 minute walk away as well the 45 minute walk into el centro in the morning was a nice experience. The taxis were plentiful and for 15 - 20 pesos was very reasonable. The supermarket was only a block away as well as the bakery and the roast chicken place.

I would recommend Sue and Miguel's place. Gilma who lived down stairs with her daughter Norma were very friendly. The cat Gorda was a chicken and I loved Loco Miguel's dog. I wanted for nothing and had the best of best of vacations in Isla. I would stay here again and highly recommend Capi's. Thank you Sue and Miguel for a wonderful month's stay in Paradise.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My sister and I stayed on the Isla in an effort to avoid the fancy, expensive generic resort experience, and the luna studio exceeded all our expectations of a local, relaxing vacation.

We felt like we lived in Colonia La Gloria--the studio was quiet and private and everything was already set up for us when we got there! There's a hammock with a view on the patio, a water cooler, dvds, wifi. We had fantastic fish tacos around the corner at La Bruja, where we ran into Miguel (the landlord) who got us lunch there even though it was closed! There is a big supermarket around the corner, a fresh bakery that is open late, La Bruja resto, and plenty of taxis.

The island itself was a dream--quiet, tiny, great beaches, good scuba diving, tons of cute local cafes, good beachfront seafood restaurants. If you're only there for a day or two, you might find yourself taxi-ing back and forth from the Centro area, but its close and cheap (20 pesos), and we liked feeling like we were going home away from the bars and such.

Apartment was incredibly comfortable, a great deal, and Miguel and Sue were a huge help in being responsive to emails and flexible with schedules as I planned. Fantastic. Can't wait to come back and I immediately went to my fancy resort wedding and urged everyone to come to Isla and get the Luna studio! Thanks, Miguel and Sue!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
heatandsun, Owner at Capi's Apartments, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
We are so glad you finally got to come after all the last minute changes in your plans (with the wedding). And even happier that you really enjoyed being in the local neighborhood and enjoyed the experience of what it might be like to live here. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for putting this review up, it's a great description of what it is like to be amongst the locals.
Pilsen, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Isla Mujeres is a paradise and Capi apartment made it just perfect! We will never regret to go there! Me and my boyfriend spent 8 days there and always felt like in the best romantic movie- wonderful beaches, the cleanest sea ever, snorkeling, great restaurants (especially tiny authentic ones)..we have marvelous memories!!! and we can highly recommend Capi apartments! It´s new, clean, comfy and has everything you need - aircondition, little TV with DVD player, nice kitchen, very comfy bed and functional wi-fi internet. Sue&Miguel are the kindest and the most accommodating people we have met. They were always willing to answer all of our questions and willing to help us with everything we needed! We wish them the best and hope to see them again !because! it was amazing holiday and we wish to come again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
We are so happy you had such a wonderful time staying in our apartment, and that all the amenities helped make your stay that much better. Thank you for putting the time into this review, and we do look forward to seeing you again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

*This a lengthy detailed review, because I can understand the feeling of hesitation when choosing a place to stay on vacation. That’s why I feel that specifics can help a traveler make a more confident decision. Well here goes….

We just returned from spending a little more than a week in the Luna Studio, truly a beautiful place!! All our correspondence was done via e-mail with the owner Sue, who was professional from the beginning, responding to e-mails or questions within hours! She even gave us her cell phone number in case we needed to contact her. Which big hotel chain does that?? Good luck even getting them on the phone!

We arrived at night and were greeted by the manager Miguel, who is a gentleman and a very respectful man. He took the time to show us around the studio and explained how everything worked. Miguel then gave us great advice on nearby places that serve excellent and cheap food. He would check in on us DAILY to make sure everything was fine and let us know where we could find him.

Luna studio is very, very clean and has everything a traveler would need. Starting with the kitchen, it is similar to any kitchen a person would have at home. It is complete with everything needed to cook a home meal. Plus there are pots, pans, plates, bowls, cups and silverware, something that the big hotels on Isla Mujeres don’t even provide! We would often go to the supermarket that is just 3 blocks away to stock up on food and cook a meal whenever we didn’t feel like going out. There are many great inexpensive local places to eat within just a five minute walk and it helped having a microwave to heat up any leftovers! There is also a big water cooler that is very convenient and was always restocked for us.

The bed is super comfy and the linens were ALWAYS clean. A lovely and sweet lady named Gilma made sure that our room was always maintained. She is very helpful and can help you with any questions you may have about getting around the neighborhood. There is a television and dvd player that had great sound and worked perfectly. The air conditioning in the studio always worked and blew nice cold air whenever we needed it! There are also 3 Large fans, 2 inside and one outside. The fans come in handy whenever cooking and they are perfectly located so that you can circulate air around the studio and never feel hot.

The bathroom has beautiful tile work and a walk-in shower. There is both a standard shower head, as well as a snake shower head. It can come in handy when either your cleaning snorkeling gear or trying to get to hard to reach spots. The water from both the shower head and sink had both hot/cold water that flowed very well. The towels were always cleaned and replaced. The toilet was very clean and always worked properly.

Another advantage Capi’s Apartments has over the big hotels near the beach is it’s location. From Capi’s, if you would like to go ANYWHERE on the island, it’s a 10 minute ride at most and 30 Pesos maximum. If your interested in renting a golf cart, there is convenient parking right in front of the apartments. We kept ours there overnight and never had to worry about someone messing with it. Being away from the downtown area, allowed us to sleep well since it was very quiet at night. Capi’s is located in the Colonia La Gloria neighborhood and provides a visitor a real picture of how life is on Isla Mujeres. The people who live in the neighborhood love to talk and can also give you great advice on places to eat and things to do. For example, after finding out I played basketball, they let me know about a local tournament that was having a championship game the next night. I ended up going and having a great time, it would had been something I missed had I not talked to my neighbors!

There is NO need to worry about safety in La Gloria, I took a LONG walk each night and never encountered any issues that I could possibly face back in a big city in the United States. My girlfriend would take daily walks early in the morning and she never felt at danger. A simple “Hola” will bring a smile to any locals face and feel free to talk with them. They are just as curious about where your from as you are about them! Also, just a 5 minute walk south and you can reach Punta Sur, which has unbelievable views! There is also a large lagoon a 10 minute walk north, that is great for exercising or just relaxing in the shade on a hot sunny day.

Overall, I had a GREAT time at Capi’s Apartment, I truly felt home away from home and will miss this place. Whenever I return to Isla Mujeres, I will make sure to stay here. There is no other place on Isla Mujeres that can compete with the prices and what they have to offer. If you’re a person who is a simple, budget minded traveler and prefers to interact with the local people, this is the best place for you!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
heatandsun, Owner at Capi's Apartments, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
We really love it when guests get right into the colonia La Gloria and the local experience, and are so happy to be able to provide an apartment that lets you feel like you are really living here. I'm sure future guests will appreciate you taking the time to write with so much detail. We thank you, and are so glad your vacation was wonderful.

Just one correction - Miguel is the owner of the apartments (I'm his 'esposa').
Social Circle, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I'm almost a little hesitant to write too much about how much we enjoyed ourselves here... I don't want it getting out! Seriously though, we made the choice to stay on Isla at the last minute as we were really not excited about staying in Cancun with the rest of the tourists. We're not all inclusive type people and wanted a little more local flavor with our vacation... WE GOT OUR WISH.
We stayed in the top apartment of the building and could NOT have been more pleased with the value, cleanliness and comfort. It was simply a home away from home and we felt a sense of peace each night that we left downtown to get back to our homey little paradise. I could have cried when we left. There's a grocery market just around the corner in which we walked to and on the way home we found a local woman selling fresh bread outside of her home. If you don't like locals, don't come here. If you want to truly experience the island with it's native residents but still retain an amazing sense of comfort, cleanliness and calm... COME HERE. Plus it's ridiculously inexpensive which suited our needs as we're both students (AKA: Broke most of the time!). All in all it was a truly amazing stay. There's a complete kitchen in which we cooked breakfasts and kept a little stash of cerveza when we were feeling like a "cold one" on our private porch. The hammock, the luxe bathroom, the comfy bed and the wide arrange of movies (we watched the entire saga of Planet of the Apes.. LOL!)... we loved it. Sorry to leave, happy to come back!!!! Also, don't discount the other stretches of ocean on the island. Of course the North beach was amazing for swimming, relaxing and sunning but we found it a little cramped on the weekends so we went searching for other places. The rest of the island is quite rocky and not suitable to swim around but we found this to be a wonderful place to "wade" in to our knees and search for conch shells and misc washed up things. The South Point (Punta Sur) has a great overlooking restaurant and place to explore with art pieces from around the world. Oh, and it's iguana central so bring your camera and watch your step... We ended up making a great deal with a local man downtown for renting a golfcart. If you rent it day by day it's more expensive but they'll actually let you rent them for 36-48 hours and they'll cut you a deal. This place is a little removed from downtown so you'll want to get a little transportation. No worries though as the entire island is only about 5 ft long and a cab ride from end to end is $2USD. We found that the golfcart is definitely a must though for adventures. One night after dinner we were riding home on it and there was a soccer game going in the local stadium. We sat out with the islanders and cheered them on. FUN! At Capi's we felt completely safe, secure and at ease. The nice lady that stays on the first level made sure our apartment was cleaned every couple of days which made it feel fresh and spotless. No bugs, no smell and the linens were comfortable. I'm funny about hotel linens, especially the duvet/cover but not here! No worries! Everything feels like home!

Like I said, soooo sad to leave this paradise, soooo excited to come back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
heatandsun, Owner at Capi's Apartments, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
What a great synopsis of your experience of staying in the local community. We're glad you enjoyed the apartment, sounds like you made good use of most of the amenities. Thank you for taking the time to write this for future guests - great info!
Sayulita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

When you pick a place to stay off the internet you always have some doubt. There is no doubt about Capi"s. We have spent a wonderful week here and are moving to a permanent location today. We were welcomed by Capi (Miguel) upon our arrival and treated like royalty. A few emails back and forth from Sue and you will understand they are sincere about their business and the island. If we weren't going to live here would stay again and stay no where else!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
heatandsun, Owner at Capi's Apartments, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we're happy to see you settled into your life here on the island. We look forward to bumping into you throughout Colonia La Gloria and hearing about your adventures through your blog. Thanks for writing this review.

Been to Capi's Apartments? Share your experiences!