“Isla Mujeres - Hotel Villa Rolandi -PERFECT!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Rolandi

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Rolandi to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Rolandi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   racc. Laguna Mar SM. 7 Mza. 75 Lotes 15 y 16 | Carretera Sac-Bajo, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 35 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Isla Mujeres - Hotel Villa Rolandi -PERFECT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Villa Rolandi. We had been to the Island before and always said we'd come back and stay there next time. Boy, are we ever glad we did and wish we had done it sooner! What a wonderful time we had, celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. The atmosphere (very relaxing and tranquil), the food GOURMET, the rooms large with huge showers, jaccuzzi on the deck of each room and friendly 5 star service from all staff members. A great big Thank you to Victor at the front desk, he was our "go to person" and was immensely helpful with anything we needed. Can't say enough great things about this unique resort, we will continue to return to the ROLANDI, why go anywhere else?

Room Tip: First floor rooms are convenient to get to the pools, spa, hot tub and restaurant/bar

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were looking for a destination that was less crowded and much quieter than the typical "Mexican" resorts that are advertised all over for our vacation to celebrate our anniversary. We got that much and more at Hotel Villa Rolandi.

I had been looking at Isla Mujeres for a while and really liked the reviews and website for Villa Rolandi, but not so much the price, we had decided to go to Tulum for our vacation. And then I got a Living Social deal in my inbox for Villa Rolandi…we jumped on it and booked immediately. The voucher included our room for 8 nights (we bought two), four massages in the spa and transportation from Cancun.

Victor was amazing before we even arrived. I e-mailed him several questions and he was quick to respond and even provided more information than I originally asked for. He made the whole pre-vacation experience much less stressful for me.

We arrived in Cancun on Thanksgiving Day and after going through customs and immigration, we fought off the transportation people to get outside, we met Alejandro for our ride to the dock. When we got to the dock, Cocoon was arriving, but there were two others we were waiting for the trip to the island. We went to the bar that was on the dock and had our first of many cocktails. A little bit later they were calling us to board the boat and we were off.

We arrived at the hotel, were met by someone to take our bags and someone to welcome us and check us in. Our welcome beverage in hand, we were checked in and off to our room shortly thereafter. We were in room 203, a lovely Jr Suite just above the lobby. No problem at all until about 3am on our first night when we were serenaded by some festive guests!

Our first morning, I ordered coffee and a breakfast bread basket for us to enjoy on our balcony. I drink my coffee with cream and when they brought it to me, the cream had been heated. That was when I knew I was living like the other half! Our day brought us to the beach and lunch in Casa Rolandi…just lovely. I had coffee with warm cream every morning and I still miss my room service. I also ate my weight in guacamole from the hotel. I don’t know if I liked the guac, chips or pico best, but I ordered it for my afternoon snack most days and it was delicious. We also had dessert every night brought to our room. Yes, we did live the life of luxury!

We only ate at the hotel one night, our anniversary. I had arranged for our dinner on the beach and it was amazingly romantic. They had hearts carved in the sand with candle surrounding them; a candle walkway to our table and tiki torches surrounding our table. My husband pulled out his phone (yes, I was wondering why he did that) and put nice dinner music for us to enjoy. Jesus and Jesus were our wait staff and they did a wonderful job, making us feel special. Dinner was good, but not great, but the ambiance made it well worth the cost. And Victor bought us a bottle of wine (the reason in a minute…).

The only down side, that turned into an upside, was that on Monday evening, after we showered, we got a call from Victor that every time we showered, it rained in the lobby. He let me know we needed to relocate rooms. Since it was later in the evening and I wasn’t particularly looking forward to moving that night, he said as long as we didn’t shower again, we could move the next day. He also offered us a bottle of wine for our inconvenience (hence, he bought our dinner wine on the beach.) We had plans for that morning, but when we got back, we let the desk (Delia…who is a wonderful person) know we were ready to move as soon as we packed up our stuff. She said no need; their staff would move it all for us, no need to pack it up. And they did. They took our drawers and just moved them to the next room. All I took was my purse and my Samsung Tab. It was very easy on us. Because we had to make the move, Delia arranged for an upgrade to a Master Suite for us and it was a much larger room, bathroom and more importantly, balcony and hot tub. It was absolutely lovely! And it was no stress at all! I’m telling you, this place knows how to treat their guests!

We did get our massages in the spa, and they were ok. Ricardo (I think that was his name) insinuated that we didn't tip enough (although we tipped 15% of the value) and the second day told us we were not scheduled for deep tissue massage so not to ask the therapists to go deep. It wasn't a very nice experience, all told. And the massages were NOT worth the $120 we would have had to pay if we had not had them as part of our package. We did go to Playa Norte for beach massages for much less and they were so much better massages. But hey, it was a "free" massage, right?

Unfortunately, we had to come home on Friday. We liked the island, but we LOVED Hotel Villa Rolandi. I have no complaints at all. From the cold washcloths at the pool, to the Margarita by Roberto, everything exceeded our expectations. We were further away from the Centro than we realized when we booked, but cabs were inexpensive and always available. If we go back to Isla Mujeres, we will definitely stay at Villa Rolandi!

Room Tip: The third floor provides an excellent view and the ceilings are amazing. I don't think I'd m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Loved it - here's some practical info.

Room: huge, very comfortable bed, plenty of outlets (incl 3 in bathroom and 2 on terrace), lots of lights on separate controls (maybe a dozen controls) so you can have soft romantic to bright & anything in between, AC (with own thermostat), ceiling fan in the sitting area, plenty of draw space & a hidden refrigerator. Each day you get 4 12 oz bottles of water. No full length mirror. If it's important to you, there is cable TV, however almost all channels are in Spanish (this is Mexico). English channels were sports, movie, and CSI/NCIS/Criminal Minds, etc. A couple Spanish channels had some English programming from time to time.

Bathroom: Large, 2 pretty sinks that weren't practical for soaking/rinsing anything - like swimsuits. Large closet (plenty of hangers), adjancent closet of shelves. Toilet behind pocket door. Shower large enough to have a small cocktail party AND plenty of shower heads (more of a spa shower than the spa's showers were) AND 2 large hooks! Lots of towels and they will give you more in the evening.

Terrace: facing sea, hot tub, table with 2 chairs.

Food: Fabulous!! HUGE breakfast, which you can have served on your terrace for a wonderful leisurely breakfast. Juice, plate of fruit, specialty bread of day (like small waffle), bread basket (rolls and sweet rolls), eggs any way you want, coffee/tea. From about 10 am until 5ish there are 2 waiters at pool & beach for drinks & lunch. Restaurant great! Cuisine is continental, not Mexican. Very good wine list incl several choices by the glass. Staff wonderful.

Pools/Beach. Plenty of lounges. Only 1 couple "saved" lounges early (& used them midday for a couple hours only, but tied them up from early morning until end of day) - everyone else was considerate. Middle pool is spa pool so it ranged from very warm to hot; it had a shelf seat all the way around, and optional jets. Of the 2 non-heated pools everyone seemed to use just one. The other had 'beach chairs' & only a couple lounges - that may be why, also it was a few degrees colder than the other. Nice palm lined beach, but if you like to take long beach walks you can't. When I was there the tide was never low enough to walk off the property.

Getting there: they provide a ride from Cancun airport to the dock and then their catamaran picks you up for the ride to the island. Great way to arrive!

My only negative: smoking is all over. I think the rooms are smoke free, but you can smoke (incl cigars) everywhere else: on your terrace (there were a couple times I couldn't sit there for an hour or so and had to keep sliding door closed because either smoke smell or cigar odor came through), in the restaurant, by the pool, on the beach.

Bottom line: I highly recommend Villa Rolandi,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I have been to Isla Mujeres twice (and I've been there a third time) and Villa Rolandi is certainly the nicest hotel we've stayed in there. (We also stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel, which is also good - but v different - it's right on the main strip and on Playa Norte so there's more "action" there.)

The staff at Villa Rolandi is absolutely amazing, the spa is good, and the restaurant is quite good (pricey for the island, but good - though make sure to check out other restaurants like Mango Cafe, Qubana, etc.) The island is tiny (you can drive around the whole thing in a golf cart in an hour or two) so despite the fact that Villa Rolandi isn't on Playa Norte and therefore not near the main strip of restaurants, beach, etc. it's not *that* big a deal. On the plus side, it means the Villa Rolandi is much quieter than the other places. The pools at the hotel are very nice (there is a regular pool plus a heated salt water jacuzzi/pool right next to it) and there is a small, private beach that is much quieter than Playa Norte. But keep in mind that the beach at the hotel is indeed quite small and sort of slopes down a bit so might not be the most comfortable spot to lounge around. (We preferred the pool.)

I'd also recommend trying to get a room that isn't on the first floor by the pool. Those rooms are a bit too close to other guests (at the pool) so privacy can be an issue. (We ended up on the second floor and it was very private.)

All in all a great spot on a nice little island.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that isn't on the first floor by the pool. Those rooms are a bit too close to...
dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

What a wonderful little hotel. Great place to go rest and just enjoy nature. The service is excellent at this hotel. The food is very good with the Northern Italian influence rather than just Mexican. the private beach is just perfect and the swimming pool is perfect. There are nice little extras like the hotel yacht picking you up at the Cancun dock and taking you over to the island. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All are ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I knew we were going to be in for a treat, when people in Cancun kept telling us that Villa Rolandi is where they go for special occasion dinners. They did not disappoint.

Majestic views, amazing food, beautiful grounds. It's a small and cozy/romantic place, no loud children and big groups running around. They have their own boat from Cancun, which is included for arrival and departure dates. But in between they claim they charge $80 for a trip. However, if the boat is already scheduled for someone else, you can just get on it (if you tell the Front Desk in advance) - so we just asked each morning when the boat was coming or going. You can just take the Ultramar ferry from town, which is much cheaper, even including the taxi. But you have to beware of the taxi fare on Cancun side.

The pool and private beach were picture perfect, and the breakfasts by the sea, also very good. Service was fantastic.

Go here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just spent a week at this incredible boutique hotel and cannot say enough about the rooms, the setting and most importantly the people.
We stayed in a Master suite and enjoyed the ability to walk from our room in a few steps to the beach or to the salt water hot tub (the best place to watch sunset with a drink in hand). Some might find it a bit lacking in privacy. We didn't.
The rooms really a suite is spacious and well maintained.
The staff was always gracious and helpful and Victor is a gracious helpful concierge, with excellent English. However, he will be leaving next April so hurry, if you want to catch him.
Arrival by their yacht from Cancun is a special treat and makes for a great arrival.
The breakfasts were generally good although more lighter fare would be nice and after a week I was getting a tad bored. The service was always impeccable, however. My wife has mobility issues but she always found kind concern from all staff.
Laundry is cheap and is back the same day. You can pack fewer clothes.
Each room has a little bar fridge so you can to Chaudreui and get yuor beer and other drinks.
Now a few nits to pick:
The spa is ridiculously overpriced. The charge about a $120 USD for an hour massage, which is high even by American standards. You can get an excellent massage on Playa Norte for the equivalent of $40 USD including tip. Maybe the oils are better at Villa Rolandi but not by a factor of 3.
The hotel is a bit isolated. There are no nearby walkable restaurants and it is a 1/2 hour into centro by golf cart or about 15 minutes by cab (always available). Some people will consider this a drawback; others a plus. The half hour golf cart trip is always fun, even avoiding hermit crabs on the road at night.
The little t shirt and sun tan lotion shop is open at erratic hours.
We had some boorish loud Americans party until all hours. This was not the hotels fault and I was heartened when the manager told me that they will be emailed and told they are not welcome back. Don't mess with a Swiss manager. Actually I was heartened by the response.
We were provided with an excellent meal in the restaurant for having to put up with them.
Finally, if you are celebrating a special occasion with your significant other, consider having them set up dinner on the beach: your own waiters (Jesùs, we love you) with a candle lined walk way, a big heart outlined in candles, and waiters to serenade you and the lights of Cancun in the distance. Did I mention the food? Excellent.
If you want to party, stay in Cancun. If, however, you want a first class boutique hotel with impeccable service, a lovely little beach and a very fine restaurant, then you simply cannot go wrong at Villa Rolandi.

Room Tip: The Master Suites are on the ground level and the Junior suites on the second and third floors. Be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Villa Rolandi? Share your experiences!