“Fantasy Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Rolandi

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Rolandi to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Rolandi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   racc. Laguna Mar SM. 7 Mza. 75 Lotes 15 y 16 | Carretera Sac-Bajo, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Houston, Texas
“Fantasy Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

From the moment that my fiancé and I stepped onto the Yacht ("Cocoon") to the "dulces (candy)" in the evening, we were consistently impressed with Villa Rolandi!

As we boarded Cocoon, we expected others to join us. But, after the crew pushed back from the dock, we realized that we were the only ones on the yacht for the trip from Cancun to Isla Mujeres! We immediately felt "especial!"

Victor (the Concierge) greeted us on the dock as we arrived at the hotel. He spoke English very well (educated in the USA). As we approached the hotel, we were given a refreshing drink (served in champagne glasses) and towels "to refresh ourselves." We sat in the lobby...amazed at the beauty of our surroundings.

Victor escorted us to our room. We booked a Jr. Suite on the third floor (Room 305). The view was unbelievable! We were overlooking the pool, a private beach, coconut trees, the Caribbean Sea and a priceless view of Cancun (on the other side of the Caribbean Sea). Each patio was extremely private for eating breakfast each morning and nights in the hot tub! We marveled at the design of the hotel in that the architect was very clever in how the rooms were arranged to maximize each guest's privacy.

We had dinner the first night in the restaurant. Everything we ordered was excellent! And, the wait staff was very attentive. We watched the sunset while we ate dinner....

The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. I finally got a good night's sleep for the first time since my fiancé and I traveled to Burton, Texas to "get away from it all."

My fiancé enjoyed snorkeling in the water, while I watched crabs play in the sand. Juarez (waiter on the beach) was very attentive to us. We were never thirsty while sitting on our beach chairs under the umbrella. As we visited other parts of Isla Mujeres, I appreciated the private beach even more -- no extra charges for the chair/umbrella and not having to "fend off" solicitors while enjoying the sun and waves crashing against the shore.

Reason that I entitled my review "Fantasy Island?" We felt like we were in a fantasy land the entire time we were at this hotel. We wanted to ask Victor where "Tattoo" was...as we never saw Tattoo the entire time we were there. But, we did find this hotel to be a fantasy come true!

Thank you Hotel Villa Rolandi for a perfect vacation

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor have gorgeous, brick-domed ceilings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

OMG this hotel is just to good for words from the private Boat arrival, to the rooms, to the food, to the private beach and most importantly to the staff. This place is #1 and will be for a long time to come, after driving round the island all the other places were just a dump in comparison. I'll just focus on the staff. MIGUEL in the restaurant was a legend he took me on a journey of wine that was sublime, 7 Bottles! not one was less than honey on velvet his presence and service especially of the seafood platter made our meals. If MIGUEL was not in the restaurant we went to Qubano's (go see my review of that place) he was that good :) VICTOR at the front desk got more than a tip he got a personal present from me! he was a master, his ability to translate problems into solutions from language to anything else was extraordinary. AMY my darling, her smile melts chocolate she made never want to leave the way she was able to tell me i had it all wrong (when i had) made me feel warm and fuzzy. There was a guy that was the night desk person and I'm ashamed that i cant remember his name but every time i saw him i was a little drunk (don't judge, i'm on holidays) and he just helped me out with keys and walking and stuff what a legend. I should mention the late night swims on the beach for a honeymoon just perfect! Here is the best thing you'll never here anywhere else. The Owners are involved and support some amazing charities on the mainland I got to see it first hand. So your money is doing good things. Leaving was like leaving family, I stand and say Bravo I will remember this place forever. Oh Ok I'll give you a negative, the Spa is the most expensive in the world I was shocked! I'm a spa maniac but the prices were insane, so i just didn't go, no problem.

Room Tip: All rooms are awesome
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our second trip to Isla Murejes. First of all, the people are what make Villa Rolandi world class, especially Victor Garcia, the Concierge, who (upon our first night's arrival) coordinated a special private birthday dinner for my wife on their beach, complete with candles placed within the sand and surrounding our table in the shape of a heart. At age 56 I'm no longer easily impressed or romantically smitten; however, this was unexpected and very well done. Most importantly, my wife was truly surprised and loved it. The staff is genuinely glad you are there, are very helpful and most speak fluent English. The private ground transfer from/to the airport and VR's private yacht is also a nice touch and allows you to avoid the hassle and hustle of public transportation. VR is truly adults only, whereas some hotels claim to be, but aren't. The facilities and food are exceptional. The fresh seafood is finely prepared and all meals, including breakfast are professionally presented. The breads and pasta are homemade and do justice to Southern Italian cuisine. On our last night, I ordered the Osso Buco. I've had OB in New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Europe. This was as well or better prepared than any I've had. It paired well with an Argentinian Malbec from an adequate wine list, but the wine selection is perhaps the only item not world class. All room details and furnishings are clean, operational and without damage or excessive wear. The multiple pools provide nice fresh water/salt water options. Patio jacuzzi is a fun bonus. Views and sunsets are post-card quality. The bar manager, Hilario, in the welcoming Cozy-Cozy Bar is most friendly and accomodating. Ariel, our server at seaside and poolside was friendly, attentive but not intrusive.The feeling of privacy and exclusivity are everywhere within this resort. My wife and I have traveled in the US, Europe, Central America and Mexico extensively, staying at some of the finest hotels and resorts. VR meets or exceeds them all in most categories, especially service.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Villa Rolandi on Isla Mujures is one of my very favorite places to stay. I have stayed there 10 different times over many years. I have stayed during each of the seasons and have found it to be consistently excellent. The accommodations, the beach and all rooms with ocean views and beautiful decor,the food, and the ambiance. Service and privacy are key to a wonderful and relaxing experience.I love the people who work here. General Manager Gian Carlo, Delia and Victor in the reception, Hilario the Bar manager, Ariel our wonderful server, pool and beach side. All of the restaurant and kitchen staff are first class! Villa Rolandi will even pick you up in their own yacht the Cocoon in Cancun and deliver you right to their own dock on Isla Mujares at their front entrance. Enjoy their private beach with magnificent crystal clear, warm turquoise waters. Their rates are very affordable, especially for the quality you receive all around. I love Villa Rolandi and expect you will too! A private piece of paradise or heaven...you decide.

Room Tip: Every room is excellent with ocean views. I like the master suite 318. Great views and a private ter...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Villa Rolandi after researching hotels for a possible honeymoon location next year. We decided Villa Rolandi was the one because of the small number of rooms, adult-only place, and less people than on Cancun. The entire staff were wonderful. Victor gave us great restaurant places. They were out of the way places with extraordinary flavor!
Did the Dolphin Discovery and went for last show and less crowded than earlier shows! We were treated to VIP service as we were guests of V. Rolandi. Golf cart was fun (just watch for the topes..speed bumps!) Only bad thing was the heavy rain that came while at Playa Norte..humid and wet was no bueno! But it was the season...Overall, the place was wonderful, spacious rooms, free breakfasts, and staff made ALL the difference!!! Thank you!

Room Tip: Top floor was great for viewing and getting great photos during sunset!
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our first time to both Isla Mujeres and the Villa Rolandi hotel. We found this place from an amazing Living Social deal, and immediately booked it for 2 weeks later. The hotel offers a private pick up service from the airport in Cancun, and the driver, Augustine, was very nice. Normally the hotel has a private yacht that picks you up from the embarcadero, but 2 days before we flew out, I was notified that their yacht "Cocoon' was under repair and we would have to take the public Ferry 'Ultramar', and we would be fully reimbursed. The Ultramar was nice, there was a guy singing and playing guitar for tips on the roof top seating area, and it was a quick ride over to the island. Once there, we took a taxi to the hotel.
ARRIVAL:
The lobby is a beautiful open setting, with local artists' work on display. We were immediately greeted with mimosas and cold towels during check in. The elevator was broken so we had to take the stairs to our room on the 3rd floor (the elevator was fixed by the next day).
ROOM:
We were in a Junior Suite with a beautiful view of the Ocean. The room was large with a good seating area (where the hide-a-bed is in the couch), and there are a lot of beautiful touches through out the room. Stained glass on the door to the bathroom, as well as above the full wall of sliding glass doors leading to the balcony. Our balcony had a jacuzzi on it. The bell man gave us a tour of the room and showed us how to work everything, and where everything was. The jets weren't initially working in the jacuzzi, but someone came up within 5 minutes and fixed it. The bathroom was very nice, it had a telephone in it, which I think is fun. The shower was amazing. It was large with two shower heads on opposite sides, and 4 body jet sprays (2 on each side). It also can be turned into a sauna. There was a window that overlooked the room from the shower which was fun. The closet area was just outside the bathroom where the sinks were.
AMENITIES:
The hotel has a lot to offer if you don't want to leave it for the entire trip. They have 3 pools. The main one, just outside the lobby was the most popular, right next to it was a large hot tub type of pool, and the 3rd was just a few steps from that, that for some reason no one went to. They have pool staff that take drink and food orders. One of the days, a crab snuck into the pool from the beach, so that was fun to see them fish it out.
There is a Spa on site as well. We got a couples massage that was very relaxing, and the main guy running the spa was very nice. The gym is located through the spa.
RESTAURANT:
The food there was pretty good! The best part of the restaurant was the framed photos of the staff with Chuck Norris and Paul Newman. You know this place is good if they have been there.
Breakfast was giant! They bring you juice, coffee, a basket of bread/pastries, a plate of fruit, and a side portion of either french toast or waffle all BEFORE you get your main breakfast. They have everything from Bacon and Eggs & Cereal to Mexican breakfast fare.
The dinner menu is much more extensive than what the website has on it. Everything from Steaks to pizza to salads and desserts.
STAFF/EXCURSIONS:
Everyone on the staff was always so nice! From check in to check out, so helpful. Victor helped us set up or "Swim with the Dolphins" excursion which was so amazing. We recommend the Royal Swim, most bang for your buck. And the Dolphin swim place was literally 2 properties away. We could see where the people swam from our breakfast table, as well as walk there in under 2 minutes. We also rented a golf cart for a day and drove around the island.
CONS (small list):
Beware of the beach mosquitoes at night!!!! We don't have many mosquitoes on the beach where I am from, so I didn't even think about it. My legs were a buffet for them, it was terrible (but it didn't ruin the vacation!). So make sure, if you decide to do a night beach stroll, cover up your body and use bug spray (we were never warned till after the fact).
On our last night, our ceiling in the bathroom in front of the closet started leaking a lot of water. It was around 10pm, so they didn't have anyone who could do anything about it till the next day, so I just put a bucket to catch the water. And it must have been related to the air conditioner because once that leak started, the room progressively got less cool. Then it started pouring rain early in the morning, and the entry way where the door was was flooded with water, so I had to put towels down. That's the only reason why this place didn't get 5 stars from me. But like I said, it was our last day anyway when we were checking out, so no big deal.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel and Island to anyone who wants a beautiful tropical vacation. The prices were decent, the island was paradise, and everyone was so nice!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My 4th stay here, this time I brought friends to celebrate a birthday the weather was awesome, we got an upgrade to a master suite but decided to stay in a regular suite since the view is nicer, Delia was helpful with everything, Victor greeted us at the dock and took a good care of us during our stay, Ariel at the pool any time we needed anything was there for us.
THE DOWN SIDE
For first time the service at dinner was not close to what used to be, our waiter left us for more than 15 min never came back, we had to ask another waiter for dessert menus and when we finally got again this other guy 30 minutes had past, we asked for our desserts and after some more time he came back to us saying they didn't have what we had asked for, by that time we were tired and angry (really a bad experience for a dinner celebration) so we left without our dessert that was already paid for.

Room Tip: ground level is nice but better view higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Villa Rolandi? Share your experiences!