“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Avenida Rueda Medina 15A, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Fagernes, Norway
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had a great stay, the hotel is close to the beach and downtown. Wifi in the lobby, beachtowels, minifridge, friendly staff. Only downside was poor bathroom design, one wall facing the room has the top half in glass, which also does not cover alle the way to the ceiling, so noise carries through.

Room Tip: Get a room with private bath!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Columbia, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We were there for 6 nites,We personally had not one problem with this hotel.
The staff was overly friendly,If there was something we wanted to do all I did was ask at the front desk and they always had the helpful answers.It was clean,beautiful the lounge had breattaking views of the beach.Our air and hot water worked great.
We did notice the old part of hotel which was on the left side seems to be quite a bit outdated,We would not ever wanna stay on that side.So always get the new building.

Room Tip: Always get the new building,we stayed on ground level close to the pool. .
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Novato, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

It is most likely not fair to the Posada del Mar that we first spent a few nights at the CasaMagna Marriott to start our vacation, but I'd like to think we're not people who absolutely have to have luxury in order to have enjoyable hotel stays. I like to review places based on their own merits, but should be open about what we had for comparison.
Because we had a nice snorkel trip planned off Isla Mujeres early in the morning a few days into our vacation, we looked for a hotel that was on the island itself so that we weren't traveling on a highly early ferry.
We had booked two nights at the Posada, and ended up only staying one night. We were booked first into a room on the ground floor to the left of the lobby that had no hot water. After the single staffer came to check, he verified that the room indeed had no hot water and then mentioned that they were having trouble with that building. Since the place seemed far from full, it's a mystery to me why we were given the room in the first place. Anyway, we were offered another room, which we took, and moved all of our own luggage, as no offer of help was forthcoming. This room had hot water, but none of the phones on the property were working so we could not call to confirm another reservation without leaving the hotel grounds.
The rooms in the photos look charming, but I frankly didn't see any charm in the sparse rooms with stark white ceiling lights, (no soft lighting options or lamps anywhere) broken closet doors, small windows, and leaking showers. The rooms are clean, but that's really about it.
Unfortunately, the pool was also greenish, not the pretty blue of the photos, and the whole place just looked worn and run down.
I had picked this place based on its location extremely close to the dock that we were going to use to go on our whale shark trip after the first night (which was incredible) and also based on reviews and the photos. However, since our second night there was to be after the snorkel trip and it was extremely rainy, the thought of being trapped in the room for a night was unappealing. The rooms are simply not a place we wanted to hang out in.
We packed up our belongings and told the disinterested lobby clerk that we were leaving. He didn't look surprised or even ask us why, which I found odd, but we were willing to walk away from the small amount we paid for that night, and left the Isla.
If you know what you're getting, there's nothing wrong with Posada del Mar. It's spartan but a decent base for heading to the beach or hanging out elsewhere on the island. It's very inexpensive, which I know can be a plus in and of itself. However, with a rainstorm, heading for the beach or engaging in other activities simply wasn't in the cards for us. We headed back to Cancun for the night prior to continuing our trip and our planned third stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Awful hotel. We paid extra for the newer building when booking but when we arrived we were told we had to pay more (in cash)

Umm ok. Whatever.

First night is fine. Think we found a great deal for the location. Boy were we wrong. A/C went out (one of the things you're paying extra for when staying in the newer building) and the water. We couldnt even flush the toilet or brush our teeth. Did I mention we had no A/C.

Nobody to be found in the lobby when trying to inform someone of this. Left and came back after breakfast. Still no air or water. Apparently it was was off in the entire building. Extremely unfriendly at the front desk when we finally spoke with someone.

Cancelled the reservation and stayed elsewhere the remainder of the trip.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Calabash, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

great trip to isla at the end of april .stayed at posada this time it was what we expected clean rooms great location and best bartenders romi and lea.wife will be back in july with the girls only trip this time. great island great people love it in isla. only bad experience i was pickpocketed on ferry to cancun exiting the ferry. hope the s o b who took my wallet used some of the money on the little girl he used in his scheme. hope to see him in april my next trip because his face is fresh in my mind and it will be his last crime

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Seneca Falls, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I'd like to start out by saying that this was our second visit to Isla. We absolutely love it! We are not picky people, and we do not require the Taj Mahal. Having said that, here is my review:

The Location: The location of this hotel is great. It is pretty much a 5-10 minute walk to anything in downtown, the ferry, and the beach. It is on the main street, and we were expecting it to be noisy. I guess I would say that it was noisy, but it was also holiday week for locals, and they LOVE to party. After the weekend though it quieted down, and noise was a non-issue.

The Staff: I would say that the staff was generally friendly and helpful. I wouldn't say that they went above and beyond, but that didn't bother us because we were hardly ever at the hotel. The grounds seemed well kept, nothing fancy, which is fine for us since we are rarely at the hotel.

The Rooms: This is where I've seen many differing opinions, and no doubt I have my own. We stayed in the newest building. Our room had a balcony with an obstructed view out to the pool area, but just having a door/window to open was nice. There was a refrigerator in the room, which makes me very happy. I like my cold water.

The bed was pretty comfortable, and the sheets were clean and not stained. The general cleanliness of the room was disappointing though. The furniture seemed a bit grimy, and the walls looked like they needed a good washing. It's nothing that a little wipe down with some bleach won't fix. I want to stress, we are not picky, we can deal, but this just made it look like they paid no attention to a BIG detail whatsoever.

The bed was always made, and the floors were mopped and clean on a regular basis.

The air conditioner worked, but when turned on filled the room with a mildew smell.

The one big thing though for me was the bathroom. Sink-fine. Toilet-fine. Walls in the bathroom were dirty. Looked like dirty handprints, especially where you would hold on to the wall to get into the shower. Shower curtain was pretty discolored. The worst part was probably the actual shower itself. It was a "tiled" shower, and the grout just needed a good scrubbing. It was very dirty and pretty moldy. Anywhere that there was caulk, it was also covered in mold. I wouldn't be so harsh, but I think that even a 20 minute scrubbing would have done wonders for this room. This was the most disappointing part of our stay.

- REALLY IMPORTANT - This is not something that I had read in any of the reviews. I don't remember if I read them all or not, but this is something that anyone staying there should know. The setup for the bathroom was rather interesting, and I could see it being HIGHLY UNCOMFORTABLE for some people. Our bathroom only had a partial wall to the rest of the room. The shower surround came up to about my shoulders, and then there was a pane of glass allowing you to see into the rest of the room - no, there was not a curtain on this side. Remember, partial wall, which means that there is not a complete wall separating the bathroom from the rest of the room. I'm not trying to be gross here, but when you are peeing everyone knows it because they can hear it (remember? No wall.), and likewise for other things you do in the bathroom. I could see this being very uncomfortable for some, especially if it was friends or a newer couple sharing a room.

I would have to say that we would not stay here again. I don't know if it was just the room, or the dates of our vacation, but I do like a clean room and a clean bathroom. I would have preferred that she not make the bed if it meant she could spend an extra five minutes cleaning the bathroom.

I hope this review is helpful for some. I know that some people have had great stays there, and I'm not doubting it. We must have just been unlucky. I would still recommend this hotel, but just know that it seems like it is the luck of the draw with this one. Some people love it, and others not so much. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We've stayed at Posada twice now, the first time in the new building, this time in the new section. I love the large balconies and spacious room in the new section, but it can get a bit noisy, with the ACs from neighboring rooms creating a huge ruckus. I like to sleep with the door open but that was impossible without ear plugs. The balconies in the new building are only half the size, but the ACs are very quiet, newer models there. I should add that I spend a good amount of time on the balcony for writing, so if you're never there, it doesn't matter.
The pool area is nice, good size pool, and the beach is just across the street, with nice views of the ocean from the balcony.
The beach gets quite noisy on the weekends, so that's something to consider, always depending on what you're looking for.
I found the rooms clean and well kept both times we were there, and we'll definitely go back, probably return to the new building though. Make sure you distinguish between those two: New building: upgraded AC, smaller balconies, generally a bit more quiet, because it's slightly set back from the pool. The rooms also have those weird, open bathrooms that I don't really care too much about.
New section: large balconies, booming, old ACs, large rooms. No fridge
I recommend this hotel for travellers who like a comfortable, but not necessarily too manicured and frilly hotel, and who don't want to spent 100 bucks plus per night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Posada Del Mar? Share your experiences!