“Beyond disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Na Balam Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Travelocity Orbitz.com
Na Balam Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha 118 | Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 35 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Denver, Colorado
“Beyond disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I booked this hotel through a groupon. I had visited Isla Mujeres twice before and I was going to stay at the hotel I had stayed in on both prior visits. I happened to see this deal before I booked the other hotel, and as the regular room rate at this hotel was more expensive, I was excited to try somewhere new that I thought might excede my previous experience. I was disappointed on almost all levels.
The reception area was confusing and difficult to locate.The first room I checked in to had small bugs all over the bed coverlet. I asked for a new room and was given another one. The air conditioning was turned very low and later that night I learned why- the room smelled horribly of the smell of the sewer. The bed was also extremely hard and very uncomfortable. I asked for another new room the next morning and after the rooms were cleaned I was given my third room. All three of these rooms were on the "pool side".. imagine my disappointment when I realised that the pool was drained of water while improvements were being made. Ironically, my cousin stayed here many years ago and the pool was out of commission on his visit as well. Overall, I would say that the rooms are tired and past their prime. The beds are horribly uncomfortable and there is a very pervasive odor of mustiness (more so than is regular for a humid beach local). There are no amenities in the rooms, which didn't really bother me, but might not work for some. No tv, no phone, very dim lighting. On the plus side, the grounds are nice and they have a nice raised palapa where they teach yoga twice a day. The staff was friendly and accommodating.The continental breakfast (included!) was very nice and the freshly ground coffee and homemade bread was delicious. The beach is pretty and the location is okay. The rest of my family stayed in a different hotel that was less than half the price and the rooms were much much better. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been to Isla a couple times now, and I can tell you by far my favorite hotel. I love the island vibe of the hotel and rooms! White stucco walls, dark wood beams, private patios with hammocks and chairs on the sand. In my case, we got a room with a plunge pool (room 14) and paid the extra $10 a night to have a fridge. There is no TV, clocks, or phones in the room, but that's exactly the point. Go to an island and stay at a tropical resort to relax!!! We had an amazing time here and I will stay here from now on! The Beds are super comfortable, the staff and restaurants have amazing food and they even have the option of setting up a private romantic dinner on the beach for you with candles and flowers... Stay here, trust me..

Room Tip: Get a room on the ocean side, not the garden side of the resort across the street if you want more l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed poolside in a little bungalow upstairs. First impressions were good however upon night fall we quickly learnt that there were rats in the straw roof. We could see them running around all night. Sleeping in such conditions was very difficult. They dropped straw all over the room. Not a pleasent stay! Staff did offer to move us rooms but were reluctant and denied any infestation. Rude service! Also pool and spa was closed entire trip. Staff didn't seem to care that guest were inconvenienced. Never again.

• Stayed November 2012
SalesNMarketing, Director of Sales at Na Balam Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Evn Soph we're really sorry for the problems encountered during your visit, we can assure you this was an isolated issue that had never happened before and that we have taken all measures to prevent from happening again. Hopefully you will give us a chance to make it right and prove to you that this is not an issue at the property; again, we have been in business many years, always striving to make our guests vacations memorable ones and this had never happened.

We will contact you directly to speak further on this matter.

Best regards.
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

when I think of a place to relax Na-Balam hotel come to my mind ,you don't nee to go anywere
there is a restaurant bar by the beach so close from the water you can hear the the sound of the waves breaking against the sandy beach.for the evening they offer another restaurant-bar
that is so beautifull it make you fill like dancing under the stars.
the rooms are very spacious the staff very frendly the sand white the ocean turquoise color.
the beach service, launge beds it is all excelent i truly enjoy it,I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: rooms near the beach are quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Too expensive! Sea view room with curtains that didn't cover the windows, absolutely no decoration in the room, no telephone or alarm button, partly unfriendly receptionists were the negative changes from last time. The food is excellent, but ask for the bill a couple of hours before you leave so that you can control it, just too clumsy. The beach and the quiet atmosphere is just what you need after a round trip in Mexico, but the hotel needs a careful redecoration.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

the hotel have rooms it both sides of the road, the pool side and the beach side which is more expensive. the rooms are very big and nice, the pools is small but beautiful, surrounded with lots of trees and plants, and the beach is very beautiful and peacfull. the staff was very nice, the breakfast is good and served in the restaurant that is located on the beach - great location!
Great value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel has great, spacious rooms. There are lizard noises to wake you up. The room service even cleans the dishes!We were fully equipped with coffee makers and a fridge. you feel like you are at home. The beds are just a bit too hard...

They also have good service, they will give you anything from kids buckets and shovels to beach towels.
We were very satisfied.

Room Tip: Get room 32!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Na Balam Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!