“For the best beach location on Isla Mujeres.....relazation and the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Na Balam Beach Hotel

You added Na Balam Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Na Balam Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Zazil Ha 118 | Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Evergreen, Colorado
“For the best beach location on Isla Mujeres.....relazation and the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Located on the beautiful Playa del Norte of Isla Mujeres, this boutique hotel of 33 rooms is the place to go if you want quietness, a beautiful tropical beach that is hard to beat anywhere in the world, (if you know one better, please let me know) and good service from food and beverage to water sports and wrapping it all up with a message on the beach. Really if you are looking for a party place that goes all hours of the night, then you might want to try another hotel, or perhaps even Isla Mujeres is not for you. This is not Cancun….thank goodness.

After spending four glorious days my wife and I were really sad to move on to our next stop in Playa del Carmen and besides leaving the area to go diving, we really only left one night to have dinner in town. Everything that the traveler would want to relax is right there at Hotel Na Balam - two restaurants, a killer uncrowded beach, a pool for a change of scenery, and views of the sunset. As an added bonus, the water is quite shallow and one can walk out a few hundred meters into the turquois colored water…just imagine the world’s largest infinity pool at your door step.

For our accommodations, we had a room (#1) on the beachside second floor. It was basic with a king sized bed, sitting area, balcony with lounge chairs and a hammock. What we liked about this room was the privacy. The rooms below us had a larger deck area opening out to the beach area, but not the privacy. So you need to weigh the privacy vs. more room. Quite honestly, for our next visit….and there will be one….we will be requesting room #1 again.

The staff was great with pre-arrival transportation from the airport….please take advantage of the service, check-in and out was a breeze….and they gave us a lower “special” rate that was advertised after we booked five months in advance.

Now some items to be aware of when choosing this hotel – this is an older hotel with nice but basic rooms – no TV or phones. There is free Wi-Fi at the restaurant and near the lobby. Do not flush toilet paper down the toilets….use the waste paper basket. You are here to relax…this is island life….end of statement.

Room Tip: For a private balcony in the mid-range rooms, request upstairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriela Z, Manager at Na Balam Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you very much for your comments and we hope next time to decide to visit us please contact the hotel directly so we can provide you with a special repetitive guest rate.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Beautiful beach area, peaceful and comfortable location. Food was overall very delicious. Rooms were spacious however the bed was more like sleeping on a futon mattress. Our shower had hardly any water pressure and the water was cold, so it was hard to clean up. Power went out twice during our stay. Also, lighting in the vanity area was terrible and I had to do makeup by the patio door. The service was okay, a little difficult to communicate with some of the staff. We were also overcharged due to an error and still have not been refunded our overpayment. I have emailed 3 times requesting a check in the amount of the overcharge and nobody has responded to my requests. This is very frustrating.

Room Tip: Beach view was great
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
CALIFORNIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Wow.....I spent a beautiful, tranquil 2 days in this charming hotel......a boutique hotel with all the amenities. My room was on the pool side....roomy, clean and quiet. A quick cross the road to the beautiful beach and restaurant. The restaurant has wifi and good food......... I recommend the fish tacos....the best I've ever had. All the staff are courteous and helpful. We'll be going back in June.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments, we will be happy to see you back here.

Regards
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Na Balam many times over the years, and have always appreiciate the location, simplicity yet convenience and tranquility, not to mention the yoga space, excellent cuisine and warm hospitality!
During my last stay in April 2012, I felt en even stronger affinity for this landmark island hotel which I now offer retreats at each year.
I highly recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are quiet and more private and beachside are also awesome!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Bella,
We are glad to hear you enjoy your stay, hope you can visit us again.

Beaverton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Na Balam (5 nights by the pool and one night beach side). We loved the beautiful grounds and the beach location was perfect. We later found out from people that know the island that this is the best beach on the whole island. The pool side room was very nice for the price we paid. Some of the plumbing fixtures could be repaired or updated, but for the price I paid, I will not complain. The beach side room had an amazing view of the beach and water. I could never get the room cool enough though. The bar/restaurant service from the bar was not terrible, but not good either. They never checked on us, and when we got them, the service was slow at best. They were not rude or unkind, but not accomadating either. This seemed to go for the front desk staff as well. I think that they could do some training on customer service to help make the experience better for their clients. The service definitely did not ruin my wonderful experience at the hotel, but it is the only reason that I gave it four out of five instead of five out of five.

Room Tip: For the price the pool rooms are adequate unless you absolutely have to have a beach view. We spend...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriela Z, Manager at Na Balam Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your comments and we appreciate all of them to help us improve our services.
We hope you can give us another chance to change this impression on you in a near future.

Overland Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We just got back from six days on Isla Mujeres (April 23-Spril 29, 2012) staying at Na Balam and it was fantastic. We got the hotel recommendation from a friend and we LOVE smaller, more boutique hotels like this.

We stayed in Room 1, which is a second floor room with a covered (read: shady... perfect for reading in the AM when the spouse is asleep!) balcony looking over the playground area and beach. LOVED not having a TV all week, or phone, or in-room Internet (although we had hoped to watch a movie or two on my iPad... still, better to COMPLETELY unplug).

Room was BIG with a comfy seating area and coffee table to spread out our Mapchick maps. Bed was comfortable and seemed HUGE coming from a queen that we share with two dogs LOL. I found the mattress very comfortable, loved it. NO MUSTY SMELL in this room, either.

AC worked GREAT, especially combined with the fan. Tip: look on the credenza to find a remote control that controls the AC unit. LOL Took us a while to figure that one out.

The beds on the beach were awesome and ARE included in your room rate. Servers from the beach club won't approach you to offer drinks or snacks, so make sure you tell them you want beachside service and they'll take great care of you. Get to the beach early or you won't have your choice of bed. There were people staking their claim before 8:00AM some mornings! LOL

The restaurant is great, pretty good drinks and the Continental breakfast is a nice, lean way to start the day. We shared a BLT a couple times (YUM!) and the Chilaquiles with fried eggs (triple YUM!) a couple times, too.

Everybody was cordial, friendly, and the staff is pretty small (at least in the off-season) so you got to know everyone and they got to know us, too. We had ZERO problems with mosquitoes, bugs of any sort.

Rooms were VERY quiet, Playa Norte is INCREDIBLE, and the whole place seemed very family friendly. Lots of families with small kids and they seemed to do well there.

Our only complaint about our room: our toilet had almost zero water pressure, so that was a pain in the neck. We didn't discover this until we had unpacked everything and we didn't want to repack and request another room, etc. We dealt with it, but it was a big annoyance and could get... gross... at times. Not a big deal.

Another tip: island is all septic systems, probably, so your toilet paper, all paper, goes in the trash. Just to mentally prepare you. Again, no big deal, but some people are weird about this.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriela Z, Manager at Na Balam Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your great comments, I'll make sure to sare them all with our Staff. This helps us to improve everyday.

Cozumel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I honestly do not understand the mixed reviews I see here on Trip Advisor. This is a lovely hotel with mostly repeat guests. People come back over and over because they have found a great hotel.

For reservations, I called from my home in Cozumel and spoke to Gabriela. She was professional, kind and most accommodating, specially since I was only looking for one night. I ended up with a poolside room, which is the least expensive, the bottom of the rung. LOVED it. I was on the second floor which meant I had a palapa roof, two queen beds, large bathroom, a sitting area inside the room, a beautiful wooden deck outside with two wooden chairs, a small table and a hammock. The towels were thick and everything was spotless. Hot water came out of the shower head almost immediately.

Although the poolside rooms are across the street from the rest of the hotel, they do border the pool and surrounding gardens, which are lovely. It's just steps away from the reception desk, and a few more steps to the beach. The beach side rooms had a partial view of the ocean, as the hotel is set back a ways from the shoreline. I was quite happy with my choice.

The beach itself is gorgeous. They have very comfortable beds on the beach, under palm trees or in the sun. The waiters are happy to set up an umbrella over your beach bed, and move it as the sun moved throughout the day. The service was great.

I will definitely stay there next trip and have a friend making reservations for this weekend!

Room Tip: Since my room was the least expensive, and I loved it, I don't think you can make a poor choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
It was a pleasure to help you over the phone and make the reservation last minute, we definitely hope to see you again.
Best Regards

Been to Na Balam Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!