“wonderful dive for both experienced and new divers” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Houston, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“wonderful dive for both experienced and new divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Three experienced divers wanted to check out the reef at Isla Mujeres. Two additional friends were intrigued but not certified. So Enrique Tigre from DiviingIslaMujeres gave the two inexperienced divers a short course in our hotel pool. Then we went diving the next day. (the maximum dive depth was only 25 feet so not being PADI certified wasn't as big of a concern).

Note re safety. I found Enrique to be incredibly attentive to our group and held the hands of the two inexperienced divers so they wouldn't float away. One new diver really struggled to clear his ears but Enrique worked with him patiently until the problem was resolved and he could join the group. I found his attention to detail to be very comforting for the new divers.

Enrique adjusted our dive plans on the spot as he felt like we'd waste our time if our 2nd dive was La Musa. He was right - it was neat but not worthy of a tank. So we visited underwater statues, reefs and more. He was a good dive master and made sure we all had a good time and stayed together as a group. I'd recommend him to anyone as a dive master!

Visited January 2012

Miami, Florida
“Poor Safety!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have chosen to go diving with Enrique based on the recommendations I have found on Trip Advisor but based on my experience, I will not recommend to go diving with Enrique!Diving is a dangerous activity and safety should never be jeopardized. First, he never asked for our PADI certifications and had therefore no records of our names if something was to happen to us. Since he does not have a dive shop, we ended up trying on the rental equipment once we were at the first dive site to realize that the equipment was in poor condition. My BC was not working properly...as soon as I was inflating the BC, the air was coming out...and no spare BC on board. I ended up switching my BC with my friend who then took his BC and he ended up with the defective BC, which he struggled with once underwater. The fins were not fitting properly either. I did not see that he was wearing any dive computer and did not bother to check too often on the divers during the dive. Plus, I did not find him to be respectful with the sea life as he tried to force out a turtle out of a cave with a stick! The dive was beautiful but I was happy to be diving with my friend who is also an advanced diver. Sorry but safety comes first!

Visited September 2011
Denton, Texas
“Best diving ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I have been diving many times around the area but Enrique was the BEST! I saw more sea life than anywhere around Cozumel. He knew just where to go and took great care of us. He picked us up at our hotel pier and had all our gear ready to go. We had such a great time we booked a second trip the next day. I will definately use him when we go back!

Visited August 2011
Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Great customer service for more advanced divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We are certified advanced divers who have been diving all over the world and rely on advice from trip advisor and other peoples experience to help us choose dive shops when we are going somewhere that we don't already have a recommendation.

On Isla we dove both with Enrique Unique dive shop and the PADI certified dive shop. We choose Enrique based on travelers reviews and dove with the PADI certified shop with our scheduled wedding party group.

We were very appreciative of how responsive and accomodating Enrique was. We had spoken via email before we were in Isla to get a feel of availability and what we wanted to do or see. We met him at the kiosk the first day after that he picked us up and dropped us on the beach right in front of our hotel. From my experience with him, he is geared towards advanced divers, and is very flexible and customer focused which is a lot nicer to have compared to the other dive shop which we went though. He is great for seeing unique environments, but may not be right for a novice diver. We would dive with Enrique again

BC
21 attraction reviews
“Good diving, but some safety concerns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

I just spent a week in Isla Mujeres and did some diving with Enrique, based on the feedback I found here.

Enrique is a really nice guy and will really do an awful lot to keep his customers happy.
And it's true that he doesn't actually have a shop but a kiosk down on the waterfront.
I have the impression that he is a guy trying to build up a business as he goes, so there are some things that happen that may not be as polished as one would find with another shop. Like, we had to get from his kiosk to the dive boat. Enrique flagged a cab to take us to the boat, but when we got there, he had no money for the driver and asked one of us to pay the fare, Things are loose in that sort of way. I don't think it was a scam, it was just that he hadn't thought that far ahead.

I used my own equipment so I can't speak to the quality of what he uses at his shop.
The dive boat was nice and spacious and had plenty of seating area.
The crew on the boat were less engaging than I am used to, They basically seemed to be there to do the physical work and didn't want to interact with the divers much.
On his advertising, Enrique had said there would be a dive master and, on dives with more than 4 people, and additional dive master/guide. That didn't happen on the dives I went on.
I was a little concerned about some basic safety issues when we dove because Enrique didn't spend a lot of time turning around to check on the group. At no point on any dive did I see him check in with any of the divers about how much air they had left. or that we were sticking with our buddies, or even there at all. He was more like another diver in the group as opposed to being the dive master.
Maybe we were all fairly well experienced divers, but I don't think that is the excuse either, since no one even asked to see my certification cards. That in itself was quite odd and disturbing.

I'm also used to being given some food and water or juice in the surface interval, but there was none of that. At first I wrote that off to Enrique's rates being cheaper, but it ended up costing $70 for a 2 tank dive, and at those prices, I am used to having a snack and some water between dives.

I do think Enrique is really does care about his customers having a good time and I think he has the potential to have a great dive operation in the future but his safety awareness needs some attention, and it would be really good to include some snacks for the surface interval.
If I went back, I would dive with him again, but I would be better informed about what was and wasn't going to happen.
But I wouldn't recommend him to novice divers or anyone wanting to learn, based on how loose he can be about some safety stuff.
But I also believe that people should learn to dive from PADI certified instructors, and I don't think that is what Enrique is. I believe he is certified as a PADI dive master, but not an instructor, but if you are interested, you should ask him or check the PADI website.

I believe there is only one PADI cartified shop on the island at this point in time. I had originally planned on diving with them but switched to Enrique because he was much more prompt and enthusiastic when replying to email and was just all around helpful about anything I asked about, This is the first time I have gone diving with a group that wasn't a PADI certified shop and it was interesting to see the differences. I really do think that for people who are learning or are still quite new, you are in much better hands going with the certified shop.