“Quality Property and Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Vida Dulce Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
La Vida Dulce Casitas
You added La Vida Dulce Casitas to your Saves list
13 avenida Benito Juarez, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 27 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Regina, Canada
“Quality Property and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at La Vida Dulce for five nights in early March. We had the upstairs accommodation. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owners Steve and Geri. Steve took our heavy suitcase up the stairs and showed us our room which he had prepared by turning on the air conditioning prior to our arrival-- a most welcome treat on a hot day. The room is spacious with a good king size bed, plenty of closet and storage space, a second sitting/sleeping area and a workable kitchen--full size fridge, sink and microwave. It has a good supply of drinking water and free bagged ice is available from the freezer downstairs. There was also a good supply of reading material and DVD's if needed.We were right next to the terrace, palapa and dipping pool (no diving allowed-lol). La Vida Dulce is located close to all the centro activities and best beaches on Isla. The owners are always available to answer questions or provide recommendations. It was a most enjoyable stay and we highly recommend it to other visitors to this most interesting island.

Room Tip: Terrace room gives you privacy and outdoor shared space but often it is your private quiet space.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

If your are looking for a great stay on Isla hosted by a couple who were born to be inn keepers, then look no further. Jeri and Steve have thought of everything for your comfort. We wake up and wish we were still there. Just book and go and you'll see what all the reviewers are raving about.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful place as it is close to the main area but not too noisy. And, it is wonderful that they have new plumbing! Jeri and Steve are always available to help but, never intrusive.
We were here for two weeks and the maid came in at the end of the first week and did a superb job.
The Palapa is a wonderful place to chill out, if you don't mind sharing.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Every year for Christmas and New Years my family meets up together for a few weeks on Isla Mujeres. This year my fiance and I decided to try out La Vida Dulce. We booked unit 2 for three weeks. When we arrived on Isla it had been raining non stop for days and Jeri and Steve informed us when we checked in that the living area of our unit had been leaking and the couch would be wet. It unfortunetly rained for another two days and we had a lot of water in the unit. Luckily the bedroom was not affected. We were told that the roof would be fixed as soon as the rain stopped. We were just happy to be out of the canadian winter and on Isla Mujeres, so it was not a big deal at all at first.

The unit itself is nice a large with a kitchen, 1/2 bath off of the living room, kitchenette, huge shower and a nice main bathroom off of the bedroom. The bed is a large king bed and there is AC in both the bedroom and the living room area, as well as ceiling fans in each room. I found the bed comfortable to sleep on but my fiance said he found it too hard to sleep comfortably and his hips were hurting by the end. To each their own I guess!
The rooftop patio area is great and it was especially nice to have the hammocks under the palapas to read in while we waited out the rainy days. Beware the stairs up to the rooptop though!! They are totally treacherous when wet. We nearly slipped and cracked our heads a few times while walking up and down those suckers in the rain. Grip tape would be a good addition to those steps :).

After the rain stopped on about day 3 or 4 the roofing people came and fixed what they thought was the leak problem. Unfortunetly when it rained again we had more water and the couch was soaked again. This was now a bit of a bummer for us because we had this nice big living room area but it was totally useless because the couch was always too wet to sit on. We really like to use the full space when we rent an entire apartment style unit so this aspect ended up being a disappointment for us.

A great feature of unit 2 is the huge ahower area. Though one day we did have a bit of an accident...I was showering in the evening and the large heavy showerhead fell off the roof and clonked me on the head. I had a goose egg bump on my head and a bit of a bruised cheek bone. It was pretty painful but I know it was a fluke circumstance. It looked like the pvc pipe that was holding the showerhead had worn down and the threading let go...unfortunetly it happened while I was standing under it. Jeri and Steve had gone back to the US for Christmas so we let the girl watching over the hotel know what happened and she had a plumber in that day to fix it. We appreciated her quick response and her concern.

The only other issue we had while staying here was with the maid service. She only came three or four times over three weeks but that is fine because if we needed anything you could just go ask (towels, sheets etc). Our issue with the service was that the maid actually moved personal items around. After the first cleaning service we had a mini freak out when we got back to the room because my fiance's laptop bag was not where we left it and could not find it in the room. After opening a few cabinet doors we found it tucked under the dresser/mirror unit. Phew! There was no safe in the room and by no means did we feel worried that things would go missing, but it was just odd to leave something out on a sidetable and come back to it moved to a completely different location or put away on a shelf. I thought I lost my book down at the beach only to find it a few days later in the bookshelf in the living room. I should have looked there but I am just used to maids cleaning around stuff and not shuffling items.

This hotel has great ammenities like fresh drinking water and free ice which is fantastic. There is free wifi, a dipping pool and a great rooftop palapa with hammocks and sun loungers. Unit 2 was very large and spacious and if you are able to use the living room area, it will be even better. The water pressure was good and the toilets flushed well. The kitchen is nicely stocked with supplies and the fridge keeps beer nice and cold.

All in all, even though we had a few hiccups during our stay, La Vida Dulce is a nice hotel in an amazing location. Smack dab in the middle of everything and close enough to get down to the beach in a few minutes. Jeri and Steve are very accomodating and they make the stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited the island for the second time this past July and stumbled upon Steve and Jeri's inn after staying in a few hostels that did not meet my cleanliness expectations.. I'm a young woman that traveled around and did the "Backpacking" style traveling, however, it is nice to enjoy a clean, peaceful place every now and then...
Steve and Jeri were super nice and weren't in my business what so ever, yet, they were always available for any matter or question.
For those of you who are homesick there is a phone available with unlimited calls to the US and Canada. The breezy porch has hammocks and a little pool!
The best sleep I had throughout my entire trip!
BOOK EARLY!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Steve and Jeri are the best hosts hands down. We were introduced to Steve by Chris the Island realtor and a great guy, and we are so thankful for the intro.
What a relaxed and laid back homey feel this place has. The rooms are super clean and have more than you could ever need with an amazing value.
We could go on and on about how Steve and Jeri treated us like family, but all we can say is thank-you for making out vacation one of the best ever.
Truly the nicest people you could ever meet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Went to Isla Mujeres for the first time with my family and stayed with Steve and Jeri. It was a lovely trip right at the height of Mexican tourism on the island around Easter and yet we enjoyed the height and exodus on the island as everyone went back to work. Jeri helped with pre-planning as I had a 3 year old and was worried about bringing stuff or renting. We had no trouble on the island and she was quite helpful in securing strollers, bags, beach stuff and they had a ready pool to cool down in upstairs and toys to bring to the beach so my kids enjoyed themselves tremendously. Steve was great and very gentle with the boys so much so that my youngest son kept saying "I like Steve" for weeks after returning home. We needed to use air-conditioning most of the nights and yet during the day was pleasant to open up the windows and doors. Location was optimal and the rooftop Palapa (outdoor thatched roof sitting room) was just lovely. Thanks for a great time.

Room Tip: It was nice having the upstairs place with kids near the pool so they could cool off after a hot day...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Vida Dulce Casitas? Share your experiences!