“Best time We Ever Had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Privilege Aluxes

You added Privilege Aluxes to your Saves list
Privilege Aluxes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Courtenay, Canada
“Best time We Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We travelled to isla Mujeres after a very stressful time in our lives, seeking the ultimate in relaxation. We had that and so much more at Privilege Aluxes.
Everyone made us feel very special. The staff's immediate attentiveness upon our arrival (complete with champagne welcome), the smoothness of our arranged transfers, and the free upgrade, let us know immediately that the service was going to be special.
We had booked a superior room with a jacuzzi on the terrace, they had upgraded us to a Suite. This had the jacuzzi in the bathroom and we had our heart set on the one on the terrrace so we asked for another upgrade to the premium suite.
Our doorman Jose arranged this for us and gave us an excellent room on the 5th floor with an incredible view. he also arranged to have a bottle of the champagne brought up to us the following night for us to enjoy in the jacuzzi, under the stars
The view from our room was fantastic, we could watch the sunsets in the evening, we could also see the sunrise from our corner suite.
We were on the best beach on Isla Mujeres, Playa Norte. incredible white sand and the carribean blue ocean. Isla is far enough away from the super hotel regions that are so Americanized, it was truly a time of relaxation
The breakfast buffets, were excellent, there was so much variety.
We spent most mornings at the beach and then had lunch at Cafe del maar which is also on the beach. We enjoyed a variety of fish and seafood dishes there and the guacamole was delicious also.
We ate several times at Sabor, the main restaurant, for dinner. We would check out the menu first to see if it had changed from the previous night. sometimes it would be the same menu so we would eat at the Thai restuarant or the cafe on the beach .
Our favourite dishes at Sabor, were the Beef Carpaccio, the pork cutlets and Jamaican beef, i enjoyed the salmon in mustard sauce as well.
We ate once at Satay the thai restuarant where we enjoyed excellent service from Saulo the manager. We had pad thai and mixed satay there.
At the main restaurant we were mostly looked after by Rafael, who twice made us special desserts, and we really got to know each other so our service was always warm and friendly.
We liked that the hotel was not enormous so we felt like we knew most of the staff.
Our one complaint, was that there is no fresh ground coffee in the rooms despite their being a coffee maker, there was only instant coffee. It was also not available to buy in town either, so I would reccomend taking your own. Rafael ground some beans for us and gave them to us to use. The dining room witll make you espresso or cappuccino which we enjoyed on the outdoor patio after dinner with warm breezes the sound of the ocean and the scent of the lovely gardens
We had a couples massage at the spa which was heavenly and I enjoyed a massage on the beach another day. They had a half price special on massages which made this an extra treat. Both Lisbeth and Alicia were both lovely to deal with at the spa.
I should mention the beautiful pools (3) that were clean and refreshing. The swim up bar was also fun. We spent most of our afternoons under a pool cabana.
The hotel also arrranged for us to rent a golf cart and we toured the island in that. it was a lovely experience as we visited the other side of the island and spent time exploring the coral beaches there
We snorkelled at Garrafon park, which was lovely but expensive if you are not going to take dvantage of their other activities. If you just want to snorkel the reef, go to Castillo de Garrafon and snorkel for 50 pesos.
The town was a very short walk, and was very culturally enriching. We enjoyed the warm friendliness of everyone. We did eat in town once at "Olivias" a beautiful medditerranean garden restaurant , well worth a visit.
Overall our trip was an amazing experience and we felt that we chose exceedingly well for our first trip to mexico

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Hebrew first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Breakfast was good - lots of choice of hot and cold items plus made to order eggs. Fruit was not as good as I would have expected for the Caribbean.
The deluxe suite was huge - more comparable to an apartment than just a hotel room. Our room was supposed to be ocean view, but you had to be on tiptoes on the balcony to see a glimpse between the palm trees. Most importantly, the room was clean.
The front desk staff could be much better. We had asked for a rental car and one guy said he was unable to find any all day however when another guy tried that evening he was able to find one right away (I'm not sure if the first guy even tried since he had already earned our commission for 2 other excursions). A different guy was supposed to put in our breakfast room service order for us but forgot. Another was supposed to arrange for an airport transfer but didn't pass on the time. Basically if you need them to do something, make sure you pester them and confirm it is done.
Also note that the excursions they book for you, they have already added their commission to the price. So, do your research beforehand.
The hotel is in a very good location - almost on the beach (separated by a lane), walking distance to the main restaurant strip (ie: downtown Isla Mujeres) and a casual 15min walk to the ferry.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed at Privilege Aluxes (a-loo-shays) for three nights to celebrate my birthday. The hotel is a beautiful property, and staying there is luxurious, because of a combination of the facility and the wonderful staff. We were greeted at the door with champagne and taken to our premium suite. It had a large living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom, plus a hot tub on the balcony. All is brand new and a rather plain, but very modern and comfortable with two flat-screen TV’s, a great shower and bathroom counter, and a very comfy bed. The grounds and our rooms were always kept spotless by the staff. No matter where we went on the property, the staff was amazingly attentive and determined to provide whatever we wished. I might point out that we chose to go the all-inclusive route. We don’t usually choose A-I, but we were glad we did, even if we did do dinner in town one night.

Aluxes’ restaurants were all extremely well done. Satay was terrific for Thai dinner as was Sabor for every breakfast and one dinner. The breakfast buffet there was sumptuous, and the dinner was gourmet standard. Lunch on the beach at Café del Mar was also first rate. Every meal was lavished with enthusiastic service. The waiters may not always know what they are doing or what I have said in my broken Spanish, but the effort to please was always 100%. Visitors may find, like we did, that Satay and Sabor are virtually empty when they dine. I don’t know why. Maybe the A-I people are in the minority and the rest of the guests go for dinner in town. Maybe we ate a little early. Don’t let the small number of diners trick you into being worried about the food. The chef is remarkable and will visit your table.

The beach arrangement was perfect. We had no trouble getting two chairs beneath a palapa each day. The furniture and décor of the beach club looks very rich. We had lunch right at our chaise longues. The beach is broad – unlike just around the corner to the north where North Beach is currently suffering. You cannot beat the waters off Playa Norte, but the beach is sadly eroded. At Aluxes each day, just before 5 pm, we returned to the beach to have a drink and watch the sunset. The atmosphere provided by the sun, the music, and our drinks was the most mellowing we could ask for.

We did have a few negatives associated with our stay and they all had to do with scheduling. First was a mix-up concerning the date of our stay. I made reservations in August for three nights in November. In the process of reconfirming two weeks before our arrival, I discovered they had reserved us for December dates instead of the November dates, which were stated multiple times in our e-mail exchanges. While they corrected the reservation mistake that day, I wonder if it affected the quality of our room. Did I go to the back of the line for November 14th when they fixed it? I was suspicious of just that because we were disappointed in the location of our suite – that is, at the far end in Building #1 and on a low floor. This meant that most of our view from our balcony, including our hot tub, was over the unattractive roofs and courtyard of a neighboring center for feeding and entertaining cruise ship groups. We had to look hard to the left to view slivers the pool area and out to the sea. I was not able to change rooms higher-up and toward the center because there were no other premium suites available. That is why I wonder if I suffered a poorer room due to the scheduling snafu. We also had trouble getting to and from the hotel. We ordered transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport through the Aluxes to make the transfer smooth and worry-free. So much for that idea. AGI Tours was contracted to handle it all. When we arrived in Cancun, AGI was not waiting for us as promised. When I found them, I learned they expected us three hours later – in spite of being given our correct arrival time in advance. When the AGI rep dropped us off at Aluxes, he told us to be in the lobby at 11:45 am on our departure day. Did he show up on time? No. The hotel had to call and find him. Again, they somehow expected us to be leaving much later, even though they told us when to be ready. None of this was Aluxes fault, but they did contract AGI for us, so they must share some of the blame.

Aside from these negatives, we gave our stay at Aluxes straight A’s, and we highly recommend it for people willing to pay a bit extra ($245 a night) for creature comforts, excellent food and service, and convenience.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I booked my reservation for Privilege Aluxes through their website--arriving Nov 14-20. The site gives an option to have transporation arranged to pick you up and the airport in Cancun, get you to the ferry, have someone waiting for you upon arriving in Isla Mujeres and take you to the hotel. This is offered for both your arrival and departure. I called 1 week prior to my arrival to confirm all details. I was told I would be met by a representative from their contracted transportation company (AGI) who would be holding a sign with my name. Upon exiting the airport, I looked around and did not find anyone with such a sign. Thank goodness I had my cell phone and am able to speak Spanish. I called the hotel and advised them no one met me at the airport. They put me on hold and quickly came back and advised me that a representative was on his way. Upon finding the representative from AGI, he informed me that my name did not appear on the list of arrivals for that day. The AGI representative stated the hotel did not pass the data along to them. The driver of the van to the ferry was rather nonchalant about the situation. He said maybe I have the wrong date of my travel and that I needed a ticket to cross the ferry and that he had no money. I let him know that was not my problem since this was prearranged through the hotel website. He got back on his phone and told me I would be met at the dock by another representative who would have by ticket. Upon arriving at the dock, I was met by the other AGI representative who did have my ticket. This was not such a great start to my vacation. Upon arrival at Isla Mujeres, I was met again by the representative and taken to the hotel. No one seemed to have a definite answer as to why my flight/arrival information was not passed along. At check-in, we did confirm my departure and transportation details while having a glass or two of the complimentary champagne that awaits you at the hotel (very nice touch). This was the only glitch in my vacation. I spoke to Edgar (Front Office Manager) about this. He apologized and adjusted the transporation cost of my total bill. Great customer service. My room had a jacuzzi on the terrance and a view of the sea and of the cementary mentioned in other reviews. I was quite surprised. The view of the cementary is breathtaking. The pastel colors and the lighting and the beautiful sculptures are very unique. Not at all what I was expecting after reading other reviews. That view, along with the sea and the sound of the waves is tranquil and makes one feel a peace that cannot be put into words. You know it's a cementary but there is a feeling of being alive. That along with the background of the infinite sea is something you really have to experience.

The staff is outstanding. Joel, Edgar, Jose, Jaime, and Flor, all went above and beyond to ensure my stay was enjoyable. They did it all, from dinner suggestions to arranging transporation rental to recommending basic first aid treatment for a nasty run in I had with fire coral. This front office staff is superb. They always greeted me with a smile and asked how my day went. Sometimes I would find myself just talking to them when no other guests were around. They were always courteous and had a "can-do" attitude. When other guests would come in, they gave them all the same excellent service that I was given.

I had the bed and breakfast plan and all I can say is that the breakfast buffet is more than ample! It even included mimosas. There was an ample selection to ensure all tastes are met. And, the quality of the breakfast buffet is excellent. I did not have the all inclusive, so I don't know how the lunches and dinners are. I preferred to eat dinner at the many local restaurants that await you just outside the hotel. One night I walked into Velazquez Restaurant for dinner (great place--don't miss it) and the hotel staff was also having their dinner there. They invited me to join them at their table and eat with them. They truly make you feel that you are more than just a guest.

The hotel grounds are immaculate and the housekeeping staff does an excellent job. The pool area was well maintained. I never saw any debris. There is a very small fitness center. Three machines and some free weights. But you can easily jog along the main avenue and with swimming, snorkeling, diving, walking, who needs more?

Every staff member greets you with either "good morning" or "buenos dias". Thanks to Joel for all the dinner recommendations, Flor for arranging my moped rental, Jose and Jaime the great bellmen who are constantly running around but always with a smile on their faces and to Edgar the Front Office Manager who resolved my problem with the transportation to/from Cancun. I truly look forward to another visit to Isla Mujeres and to Privilege Aluxes.

Since I have returned home, I have been pricing for a return trip. One note, you will probably find cheaper rates going through a 3rd party booking agent, i.e, Expedia, Orbitz, than booking directly through the hotel. Other than that, I can honestly give a thumbs up to the hotel and it's staff....Bien hecho. Muchisimas gracias a todos y espero que nos vemos al rededor de febrero.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

We loved absolutely everything about this hotel and its staff. Our deluxe suite was huge, two big rooms and a large balcony. Stylish and comfortable, with a beautiful spa quality bathroom. 5 star and squeaky clean.

Pools, beach, restaurants were all wonderful. Beach beds around the pool (comfortable, beautiful, included). Comfortable beach loungers with shade also included.

The service, from the moment of arrival until our departure -- with hugs and handshakes all around -- was warm and generous. Better than a Ritz Carlton. Outstanding.

We had breakfast included only, terrific buffet each day. We suggest not doing the all inclusive, only because there are so many great choices within a five minute walk. We had lunch at the beach restaurant, and dinner at the Sabor restaurant, both were excellent.

The bar called Jax right across the street has great food and $1 beers all day until about 10 pm every night. Others have posted that a one day golf cart rental at $45 is a great way to spend the day -- we agree. The hotel can set this up, with the cart at the front door, for the same price as off-site vendors, very convenient.

We loved our four days at Aluxes, and were very sad to have to leave for a conference in Cancun. Even more amazing, though, was our stay coincided with Hurricane Ida. The hurricane, such as it was, came through on day three. The staff was wonderful, the service never missed a beat, and we were not the least bit worried about trusting the hotel to take good care of us, come what may. The facility and the personnel were absolutely flawless throughout the bad weather.

We will absolutely be back, and we will completely skip Cancun next time and spend every night of our stay at this comfortable and welcoming hotel.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

My wife and I were looking for a high-end luxury hotel to offset our disappointment of our (earlier in the week) accomodations. The desk staff were gracious and let us view a couple of room choices before deciding on a room. We only stayed for one night , (on the top floor with a great view, has an elevator so no stairs) (included a loaded buffet breakfast) but thoroughly enjoyed it; the cost was $120 US (apparently a special rate, we had to ask for it). There are only five rooms per floor and it was only about 40% full so it was nice and peaceful. Our room had a large jacuzzi on the balcony (every room has one), nicely appointed with bathrobes, flat screen TV, mini fridge, coffee maker, bottled water, iron, etc. Ice was delivered via room service, your allowed one free room service call per day. The king size bed was comfortable with good linen, had an ipod docking station by the bed w/ numerous capabilities. We both enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to friends. It's close to the ferry, shopping, numerous restaurant and bars; and only a stones throw from a fabulous beach. Security was very good, only guests were allowed on the property. We enjoyed our brief stay.

Jonesboro, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Privilege Aluxes for our 5th wedding anniversary. It was our first time trying an all-inclusive hotel, and it was a very pleasant experience. We found that the food from the beach restaurant was the best. They were all good, just found the best food there. The service at the hotel was exceptional...everyone was extremely nice and welcoming. We will be going back for years to come.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Privilege Aluxes? Share your experiences!