“Can`t ask for more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Privilege Aluxes

You added Privilege Aluxes to your Saves list
Privilege Aluxes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
St-Hyacinthe
“Can`t ask for more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Spent a wonderful week at Privilege. Room was great, service was impeccable, and food was delicious. Modern and quiet hotel, as is the island. Absolutely nothing bad to say, everything was just perfect. Met plenty of cool people (sup Biz, Jamie, Isabel, Hugo, Ryan, Tamand Chris). Previous reviewers stated pretty much everything, Props to the on site gym is just by the pool; treadmill, wave, elliptical, adjustable bench and dumbbells, everything for a great pump! Don't second guess this hotel, its the place to be.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Hebrew first
texasrose8170
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I went to PRIVILEGE ALUXES ISLA MUJERES, for the first time, and had a wonderful time at the hotel, the staff is Great. Knew me by name and what I wanted to drink by the end of the first day. We enjoyed every moment of it. Best location. Beautiful rooms, gorgeous and very Quiet swimming pools and Nice Restaurants. Will be going back many times.

• Stayed September 2009
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My girlfriend and I just stayed at the hotel Privilege Aluxes in Isla Mujeres, Mexico and had a fantastic time. The beauty of the island was enhanced by the beautiful hotel right on the North Beach in Isla. The facilities were excellent and the staff was even better. From the hotel general manager to the waiters and bell hop all did a terrific job in making our stay exceptional! I can not wait to go back!

Marseille
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We just came back from Isla Mujeres and we loved that place. We made friends their with two great couples Dave and Lisa, and Bismarck and Jamie !! The room was so romantic !! And we have been upgraded to a bigger room ! The staff was very nice and simpatico ! This hotel is brand new and it has a perfect location ! Some people don't like the fact that you have to cross the road to go to the beach but it is not a problem ! It is so closed to the most beautiful beach that we did'nt care. You have to know also that the hotel is very close to great restaurants !! It is the best choice in Isla Mujeres !

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

My wife and I went to Isla Mujeres for our 20th anniversary. My wife is a seasoned world traveler, but I'm more of a homebody. Neither of us speak a lot of Spanish, and I had never traveled much in Spanish-speaking countries. Consequently, I was a little apprehensive about celebrating our 20th on a little remote island in Mexico. However, the deals were so good that I bowed to my wife's suggestions and agreed to go to "Isla" for nine days. I am glad to say that these days were easily the nine best days that I have spent this year, and I credit a lot of this to the Hotel Privileges Aluxes and its staff.

In reading the negative reviews of this hotel, I can see that we did a few things differently that may have helped to make our experience apparently so much nicer than what some others have reported.

For one, we did NOT go with the "all-inclusive" package. We wanted to explore what Isla Mujeres has to offer (which is A LOT for such a small island), so we opted to "fend for ourselves" in getting our meals every night. This was a good decision, because the island has so many great restaurants, it would've been a shame to miss out on them by being stuck at the hotel's two restaurants for nine days.

We also upgraded our room immediately as soon as we saw what the lowest-rate room was like. It was very small, dark, and overlooked a busy street. By paying an extra $20/day, we moved to a suite on the 5th floor that had awesome views of the sea, with windows that bathed the rooms in natural light. This suite became a home to us that was so comfortable that we never felt "guilty" for hanging out at times just to watch a movie (in English) on the new large flat-screen TV in the sitting room, or on a similar TV in the bedroom.

The room was very clean when we moved in, and the cleaning person kept it that way. Most days, she was cleaning the room within five minutes of us walking out of the room to go get breakfast (which we had included in our hotel package). She was so attentive, that my wife and I both wondered if they had a hidden camera at the door to the room to know when we were leaving (seriously!). My wife is from Austria, and has high standards for cleanliness, and the cleaning staff routinely met or exceeded her standards.

The breakfast (at one of the hotel's restaurants, "Sabor") was well-provided with fresh fruits, salads, different meats prepared in interesting and tasty Mexican styles, excellent Mexican "postres" ("pastries") and eggs prepared "al gusto" ("as you like them") by a chef as you wait. The servers were friendly and extremely attentive. We would start every day with a hearty breakfast that was so filling that we didn't need to eat again until dinner.

The pool facilities were top-notch, complete with a swim-up bar. I will say that, for some reason, the mosquitos around the hotel pool were ferocious - virtually every bite that I got on the island ocurred when I was at the pool - the rest of the island was virtually devoid of the miserable creatures. The drinks at the swim-up bar were rather weak, as well - better to get them in the restaurants around town.

On two separate occassions, we had technical problems in our room (one was with the room safe, and the other was with the thermostat in the bedroom). As soon as I reported a problem, a competent English-speaking repair man was sent to our room, and the problem was fixed very quickly. In the case of the broken thermostat, the technician removed the original control and installed a whole new unit in less than ten minutes. Given that the hotel is so new, I wasn't surprised to find a few problems with the facilities, but I WAS suprised at how quickly the problems were rectified.

One other thing: while the staff are all fluent in English, my wife and I still made an effort to try our best to converse in Spanish. We did this primarily out of respect for the staff who call Mexico their home. We wound up speaking mainly in English anyway, especially when it really mattered, but I think our efforts to use our host's native language paid huge dividends in genuine smiles and friendly service from hotel staff, as well as from the other Mexicans on the island. Even a simple greeting like "buenas tardes" or words of encouragement like "esta bien" go a long way on Isla Mujeres.

Isla Mujeres is an incredible little gem, and I believe the Privileges Aluxes will earn a spot as one of the main "facets" of the diamond that is Isla.

ajplumme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Loved this Resort!!

Food was amazing! I felt like i was on Iron Chef trying all these beautifully decorated plates and varied ingredients. The menu was half seafood items that were all extremely fresh and well cooked. Room service was fast.

Resort and rooms: New resort so it was all very clean without signs of past inhabitants or cracks or wear and tear. Beautiful pool with bridge and lots of umbrellas so there is no worry about not having one. My room was very clean with a jacuzzi on the balcony and an amazing view of the island with water on both sides. The maid left towel animals for me every night and little chocolates.

Beach: Restaurant right on the beach with great service to your 'palapa'. Soft lounges to sit on under tiki style umbrellas. Water calm and crystal clear. Sand was soft and white. Sunsets are gorgeous to watch from the water or your palapa. You have a full view of the sun setting because resort is on the west side of the island. Swimming is wonderful because you can swim around the tip of the island and go out further than the beach area right in front of the resort.

Service was amazing! Everyone there was very helpful and generous. They were very friendly and welcoming.

The island is also very safe and i didn't worry about leaving my bag by my lounge while i was out in the water. Or walking across the island to the atlantic side to walk on the sea walk along the water. Everyone very friendly.

I tipped a dollar for every service and a couple for the maid and a couple at dinner time all week and would have done more if i had it with me. SO FRIENDLY AND WELCOMING! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Cancun
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed here a couple weeks ago, overall the hotel is very nice since it is a new building. However I was very dissapointed of the view we have from the balcony, there is a graveyard in the back of the Hotel and since we were on the 2nd floor we were looking to this from the terrace jacuzzi (not very romantic I may say). I am not a superstitious person, but it is not a nice view any way.
I would not recommend to take the All Inclusive option since the Hotel is understaffed and the service is not good at all, we ate from the buffet as well as from the beach restaurant and the food is just average.
Be aware that "cafe del mar" is not open during the night and there is not DJ as it is supposed being a franchise of the one in Ibiza.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Privilege Aluxes? Share your experiences!