“Awful - recent reviews agree that the place is not up to standards” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Privilege Aluxes

You added Privilege Aluxes to your Saves list
Privilege Aluxes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Awful - recent reviews agree that the place is not up to standards”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked here for a wedding. When I checked in they attempted to give me a standard room even though I had booked and reserved a package upgrade for an additional $180 that upgrades the room from standard to superior. The superior rooms have hot tubs on the balconies. They would not honor the upgrade. They did not seem to care that they had messed up my reservation and offered no apology.

Even though most of the wedding party stayed at the hotel, I canceled my reservation and stayed elsewhere. There are many other great hotel choices on the island.

They charge $50 per guest to visit the hotel during the day. Oh, and they also messed up the room block for the wedding and sold the rooms that should have been reserved for wedding guests so we were not the only people in our group staying elsewhere over the weekend.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Hebrew first
Eagle Mountain, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had a great time on Isla! I was apprehensive at first, I read the reviews about the graveyard and that had me spooked a little. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Not only was the cemetery gorgeous but I hardly noticed it considering the surroundings! The beach and water were just breathtaking! We loved the room. The bed was firm but not uncomfortable. The service excellent! My favorite part of our stay was the staff. They remembered us by name and even had drink ready when they saw us coming. Don't miss out on the whale shark tour, AMAZING! Best vacation so far!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Privilege Aluxes. We are specially delighted to know that you consider your vacation with us as the best one.

It is a pleasure to receive your comment about this overall positive experience with us.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Amazing! As soon as my (now) husband and I got there we were treated with VIP service. Guillermo was one of the hotel workers who helped us confirm all of our reservations and made sure we were taken care of. The hotel was able to accommodate all of our 40 guests nicely. Every guests who upgraded their room could not stop talking about how wonderful their room was. We had room 353, the grande platinum suite and it was amazing with a private pool. Stairs to get to the pool are very slippery though, I took a pretty bad fall and broke 2 of my toes... would do it again though just to stay in the room.
Elba and Alejandra, wedding coordinators, were awesome! They stayed in touch with me via email to coordinate all of my wedding needs. I brought numerous wedding decorations and they found a way to use them all. We paid extra for a rehearsal dinner, which seems weird since its all inclusive, but it was well worth it as we were provided with private wait staff who never left a drink empty. The manager at Sabor Terrace was always around us to make sure the dinner went perfect.
All in all, a wonderful experience. My husband and I plan on staying there everytime we visit Isla Mujeres!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade the room. Our room was amazing! We had a view of the entire island and the awesom...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have no idea where the bad reviews come from? Me and my boyfriend just returned from a 7 day vacation in Privilege Aluxes and we were more than pleased with everything! And I mean everything! The hotel was amazing, the staff was very friendly, everybody was fluent in English, the food and drinks were very good as well. Very relaxing place right on the beach! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank your for choosing Privilege Aluxes Hotel for your recent stay in Isla Mujeres.

We really appreciate that you took the time to post your feedback and were delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us and appreciated the services provided by our staff.
T
hank you again! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Kennewick, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel was the last stop on our 2013 trip year, we previously visited four other resorts on this trip before we were set to spend the last four days here. We lasted all of six hours before we wanted nothing more to do with the place. After spending that time using the pool, beach, and seeing the food and our room, we checked out and stayed at another resort on the island.

Check In - We arrived early and the room was not ready, we booked the honeymoon suite. Staff was professional and courteous although it seemed that some were in training. They had the bell hop give us a quick tour of the facility and then told us we could enjoy the hotel and to check back around 3pm. I had no issue with the check in.

Lobby - Struck me as a dirty table with a clean tablecloth; had a weird Jetson's look to it. Had to use the restroom which was located in the basement of the lobby, it was gross and filthy. This became a warning to me right away.

Beach - We decided to hang out at the beach and wait for our room. Once we found where you have to check out your towel we discovered that this resort is not on the beach at all but rather across the street from it. No big deal. As we headed into the beach we right away noticed a security guard giving us a dirty look, immediately asked us out room number which we did not have yet so he detained us for about 10 minutes while he called to see if we were allowed in the beach area....another turn off. Once he cleared us we found a couple of loungers, typical cheap plastic loungers and mine had a broken arm. After about 15 minutes someone came by and asked if we would like drinks, ordered two and they were absolutely horrible... cheap booze, and watered down. Went to the bar to request a better drink and quickly found out that our AI plan included booze neither of us would drink... you know the plastic bottle shelf stuff.

The beach however is real nice but there are two deal breakers for us. Did not like the vendor’s constantly coming through the area and the screaming kids from the adjacent beach clubs was a deal breaker. Maybe some of you don't mind listening to the Latin Techno music coming from the beach clubs but I do, it’s irritating. Really nothing I think the hotel can control though.

Food - We decided to go eat. One look at the buffet was all we needed, tub of grub. We went across the street to JAX and ate instead. While there we decided that doing all inclusive here was not a good idea. The food looked totally unappealing and the drinks were horrible unless you like beer all day. We returned to the front desk and did arrange for the AI to be dropped from our rate, the front desk gave us no problem and discounted our stay.

Pool - Our room at 1:30pm was still not ready so we decided to hang out at the pool. They had this techno rap music blasting out of a large speaker strapped to the bar. OMG really?? So the other people around the pool seemed to be enjoying it so we just found some loungers and sat down. The wood deck around the pool will burn your feet, terribly hot so wear shoes. We tried to enjoy the pools but there was a crowd of younger guests that were pretty loud and liquored up. To make it worse they were running wound play "Marco Polo" Another deal breaker for us,

We found the pool(s) to be OK, little to no shade. Used the pool restrooms and once again they were filthy.

At this point we decided to make the best of all this and just go hang out at the Sunset Grill on Play Norte. They have good food, a pool and better beach. We figured now that the hotel room would just be a place to relax and sleep. Since we did away with the AI we were now free to eat around the island and go buy our own booze so we didn't have to drink the swill.

Returned to the hotel at 3:00pm and our room was ready, room 222. The poor bellhop had to haul for suitcases up the stair because the elevator was broken.

Room - As we entered our room the smell of cigarettes and mildew was evident. As I entered I was thinking.... where the heck is all the furniture?? This honeymoon suite was big, In the kitchen and living room it looked as if the movers came in and took everything, Kitchen had a small fridge that wasn't working right, and a two burner countertop stove. For what I have no idea. Living room had a small TV, a couch, chair, and a coffee table that was coming apart on top. Not a single picture on the wall or decorated in any way. The couch was stained which grosses me out if you know what I mean.

The bedroom itself was surprisingly small for how big the suite was. They made a nice attempt to put flower pedals on the bed and make a couple of towel swans. The wood paneling in there made me think I was in a trailer park home, tacky. I sat on the bed and immediately knew if we slept on it my back would never forgive me, horrible mattress even by Mexico standards.

The Balcony was nice and big and there was a hot tub on it. Although we were up high enough to have a view the tops of the trees were right in front of us.

At this point we looked at each other and said, we are out of here.

In fairness the front desk offered up a rooftop suite if we stayed but even that could not compensate for the negatives. We never used the room or unpacked, the resort insisted we pay for one night stay which reluctantly I did. Again, we might have been in the room for 15 minutes in which during that time they sent someone to clean out the fridge…. Ha.

The biggest kicker is after we checked out with the front desk they deliberately did not send anyone to help with our luggage, (remember the elevators are broke) so we hauled down our four bags the three flights of stairs ourselves. Then to add insult to that as we wheeled them to the lobby three of their workers sat and watched and we lifted the bags up the stairs into the lobby area.

I know many will not like this review but it is truthful. The Resort has a nice website and cleaver marketing, that it. We have stayed at over 30 resorts in the Cancun area over the past 13 years, I would not recommend this to anyone.

Grapevine, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a perfectly relaxing time at Privilege Aluxes. From check-in to check-out everything went smoothly. There are too many staff members that exceeded our expectations to mention by name - so suffice it to say you'll be pleased. We went as a group of five and reserved the Presidential Suite - which was perfect. Made service was great. Location is perfect, food is awesome - unlike many reviews of Satay, we very much enjoyed it. Steaks were great at the beach restaurant, hamburgers were a bit less than desirable. Please try the pork tacos (conchinita pibil) they are awesome!

Please remember to tip your server/maid/bartender or any of the other staff!!! They will never ask for a tip or even imply they would like one, but the vast majority of their income comes from YOU. PA will never mention it either - just do it. If you are reading this, then you can afford to tip.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with Room 543
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We really appreciate your comments. At Privilege Aluxes, we know that loyal customers are largely responsible for our great success and we are delighted to know that you became one of them.

We appreciate your trust and we will do our best to continue giving you the kind of service you deserve.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been coming to Isla on and off for over a decade and have seen this little island grow yet maintain it's sleepy charm. I first stayed at Privilege Aluxes in 2010 and had such a wonderful time that I decided to return there for my last trip to the island - the location of the hotel and the service are a combination that's really hard to beat on Isla. The hotel offers the ability to book inclusive and non-inclusive (both include complimentary breakfast and towel service). My review is based on the non-inclusive booking.

The hotel has a private beach on a very nice part of the island, north side where the water is more calm during the day. You have the option of sitting under shaded umbrellas and beds (tip - if you want to do this, you need to get your stuff outside by 8AM, the shade is highly coveted) or take a towel to the beach. The hotel has a beach bar, but if you are up for some walking - you can literally take a stroll to the other end of the island (well the north side) and have a cocktail at some of the other beach bars (some with huge swings for seats) while taking in the beautiful scenery and local flavor). To do this - walk out to the beach and once your feet are on the sand, turn right and keep on walking, follow the curve of the water! The hotel pools are also very relaxing and offer plenty of shade - if you can't find any at the beach, or just want to take a dip in cool water. The swim-up bar is small, but the bartenders have large personalities that make the pool scene lively for those who are in the water. Tip - the hotel offers standard size beach towels but most of the towels are gone by 4PM (during peak season) so be sure to get your towels before then!

The room and the grounds are very clean and well taken care of. I would say that the rooms are fairly standard for Mexican beach areas - well at least the hotels I typically book (marble like floors and bathrooms, modern fixtures, very clean design). If you are able to - request an "inside room" (rooms that face the pool/ocean). Rooms that are on the street side can be loud (fortunately I always travel with earplugs). If the "inside rooms" are not available - request a room away from the stairwell and elevator (the noise from both will travel into your room). Unfortunately, on this trip, I booked the very last available room (but I was happy to at least get a room there) - so we were street side near the stairs/elevator. It was a wee noisy at night, but overall this in no way diminished our stay or our impression of the hotel.

Food - Sabor is highly rated but I have never eaten there (people only say good things about it). The only food I have ever eaten at the hotel is from the breakfast buffet. The buffet offers a wide variety of fresh fruit, cereals and cooked options (waffles pancakes, eggs and local concoctions). Considering that breakfast is like a "bonus" for us non-inclusive guests, no complaints from me. We were able to have the perfect amount of whatever we were craving for the morning to get the day started and that's all that matters, as with everything at the hotel - service here always comes with a smile too. If you crave a hardy breakfast - there are several options available in town within walking distance and I am sure the amenable front desk will point you in the right direction (I love Cafe Hidalgo for Crepes, Cazuela's M&J for a full menu breakfast, or Bistro Francais for good coffee and classic french breakfast items).

Overall, we had a great time! Very relaxing! The hotel staff is very accomodating and really go out of their way to make your stay special. If you are looking for a typical Cancun experince then this is not for you!! You will not find people dancing on bars and passing out drunk in the streets. The island is absolutely beautiful and everyone should venture out to get a taste of local life. This is the main reason why we did not choose the all inclusive package - there are plenty of great restaurants that are within walking distance (along the beach and in town center). The proximity of the hotel to city center is great, allowing guests to enjoy some of the local life - shopping, music, dining - without needing a car. If you want to rent a golf cart to explore the island and get to some of the more adventurous activities (like checking out the small Mayan ruins or going to Garrafon) - the hotel can rent you one at the front desk, it's a great way to get around and see the whole of this beautiful island.

Side note - the hotel is next to a cemetery. We think the cemetery is pretty cool and walk through it whenever we visit the island. If you never walk to the back of the hotel (and don't have a room overlooking the cemetery) - you may not even know it's there. If you are the type of person who gets creeped out by something like this, I wouldn't let it stop you from staying here. I would at least call the hotel and see if they can guarantee a request for a room away from the cemetery - I am sure they will be as accommodating as possible. And, if they cannot accommodate, I am sure TripAdvisor can help you find another hotel that is not next to a cemetery.

Booking Tip - I typically book on Orbitz (because I like to use their discount codes), but I found the best rates on Booking.com. You don't have to pay for the RSV in advance on Booking.com, but I was sketchy about whether the RSV went through (especially since everywhere else showed the hotel as full), so I contacted the hotel directly via e-mail and received confirmation that the room was booked - yay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback, it commits us to improve our services, customers like you help us to improve ourselves and our services.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again to offer the best of our attention.

Been to Privilege Aluxes? Share your experiences!