“A Fave Hotel in Isla” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Privilege Aluxes

You added Privilege Aluxes to your Saves list
Privilege Aluxes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Fave Hotel in Isla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been coming to Isla on and off for over a decade and have seen this little island grow yet maintain it's sleepy charm. I first stayed at Privilege Aluxes in 2010 and had such a wonderful time that I decided to return there for my last trip to the island - the location of the hotel and the service are a combination that's really hard to beat on Isla. The hotel offers the ability to book inclusive and non-inclusive (both include complimentary breakfast and towel service). My review is based on the non-inclusive booking.

The hotel has a private beach on a very nice part of the island, north side where the water is more calm during the day. You have the option of sitting under shaded umbrellas and beds (tip - if you want to do this, you need to get your stuff outside by 8AM, the shade is highly coveted) or take a towel to the beach. The hotel has a beach bar, but if you are up for some walking - you can literally take a stroll to the other end of the island (well the north side) and have a cocktail at some of the other beach bars (some with huge swings for seats) while taking in the beautiful scenery and local flavor). To do this - walk out to the beach and once your feet are on the sand, turn right and keep on walking, follow the curve of the water! The hotel pools are also very relaxing and offer plenty of shade - if you can't find any at the beach, or just want to take a dip in cool water. The swim-up bar is small, but the bartenders have large personalities that make the pool scene lively for those who are in the water. Tip - the hotel offers standard size beach towels but most of the towels are gone by 4PM (during peak season) so be sure to get your towels before then!

The room and the grounds are very clean and well taken care of. I would say that the rooms are fairly standard for Mexican beach areas - well at least the hotels I typically book (marble like floors and bathrooms, modern fixtures, very clean design). If you are able to - request an "inside room" (rooms that face the pool/ocean). Rooms that are on the street side can be loud (fortunately I always travel with earplugs). If the "inside rooms" are not available - request a room away from the stairwell and elevator (the noise from both will travel into your room). Unfortunately, on this trip, I booked the very last available room (but I was happy to at least get a room there) - so we were street side near the stairs/elevator. It was a wee noisy at night, but overall this in no way diminished our stay or our impression of the hotel.

Food - Sabor is highly rated but I have never eaten there (people only say good things about it). The only food I have ever eaten at the hotel is from the breakfast buffet. The buffet offers a wide variety of fresh fruit, cereals and cooked options (waffles pancakes, eggs and local concoctions). Considering that breakfast is like a "bonus" for us non-inclusive guests, no complaints from me. We were able to have the perfect amount of whatever we were craving for the morning to get the day started and that's all that matters, as with everything at the hotel - service here always comes with a smile too. If you crave a hardy breakfast - there are several options available in town within walking distance and I am sure the amenable front desk will point you in the right direction (I love Cafe Hidalgo for Crepes, Cazuela's M&J for a full menu breakfast, or Bistro Francais for good coffee and classic french breakfast items).

Overall, we had a great time! Very relaxing! The hotel staff is very accomodating and really go out of their way to make your stay special. If you are looking for a typical Cancun experince then this is not for you!! You will not find people dancing on bars and passing out drunk in the streets. The island is absolutely beautiful and everyone should venture out to get a taste of local life. This is the main reason why we did not choose the all inclusive package - there are plenty of great restaurants that are within walking distance (along the beach and in town center). The proximity of the hotel to city center is great, allowing guests to enjoy some of the local life - shopping, music, dining - without needing a car. If you want to rent a golf cart to explore the island and get to some of the more adventurous activities (like checking out the small Mayan ruins or going to Garrafon) - the hotel can rent you one at the front desk, it's a great way to get around and see the whole of this beautiful island.

Side note - the hotel is next to a cemetery. We think the cemetery is pretty cool and walk through it whenever we visit the island. If you never walk to the back of the hotel (and don't have a room overlooking the cemetery) - you may not even know it's there. If you are the type of person who gets creeped out by something like this, I wouldn't let it stop you from staying here. I would at least call the hotel and see if they can guarantee a request for a room away from the cemetery - I am sure they will be as accommodating as possible. And, if they cannot accommodate, I am sure TripAdvisor can help you find another hotel that is not next to a cemetery.

Booking Tip - I typically book on Orbitz (because I like to use their discount codes), but I found the best rates on Booking.com. You don't have to pay for the RSV in advance on Booking.com, but I was sketchy about whether the RSV went through (especially since everywhere else showed the hotel as full), so I contacted the hotel directly via e-mail and received confirmation that the room was booked - yay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, it commits us to improve our services, customers like you help us to improve ourselves and our services.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again to offer the best of our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Hebrew first
Chester County, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I would first like to thank everyone of the staff for making our 5th stay at PA great. My parents tagged along with us on our trip 5/3 -5/10/13 and my dad was somewhat bound to a wheel chair that the hotel secured it for us for our stay. The arrangements that we had made through the hotel for transportation to and from the airport AGI was flawless. My wife and I have been here alot in the past 4 years and it seems to always be above and beyond. The service is top notch Ponce(Cake was great), Miguel,Luis,Marcos,Jacob,Jamie,Enrique, David and all the Boys at the beach who took care of my family a big THANK YOU to all. Guillermo and Jesus at the front desk Thanks again for everything form the cake to our rooms. this place cannot be beat for price ,location and service. All the rooms were perfect we had the presidential suite 633 and the parents were on the ground floor due to wheelchair access. Food was great as always and the Spa was fantastic.I know some who will read this and say whatever but this place is just great love it dearly and it is because of the staff and management who made our trip great. We will see you for the Customer Appreciation week and again in Dec. for the pre holiday tour. See you all again soon, El Diablo AKA Philly Mike

Room Tip: Higher is better for views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you very much, it is always a pleasure to welcome you back to your home on Isla Mujeres.

We try our utmost to make of your holidays the great experience that you expect and we feel honored to be on your favorite places list.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Siesta Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I cant say enough great things about the staff and set up at Privilege Aluxes. From the moment we were greeted with champagne til the day we checked out the staff were accomodating and there to make our stay memorable. Ross Gilermo Jesus Miguel Raul Ponche ~ everyone was great! Whatever we needed, they made it happen. We went with the all inclusive package, and although we ventured out alot for food ~ it was worth it at the pool & beach bar. I was nervous prior to going, b/c some of the reviews on here are negative ~(stiff bed, pool bar closes at 6, and the food) well you will find food on the island you love and bars that never close ~ so big deal! This crew does care about making your stay fun and comfortable. Definately get a room with a hot tub. Rent a cart and enjoy the island. Keep up the good work guys, you deserve much praise ~ cant wait to come back :) Mark & Gina

Room Tip: First....When you get off the ferry- go left, its a 5 minute walk....When u book, get a hot tub room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
It is so encouraging to know that you enjoy the whole experience at Privilege Aluxes.
We found your praises very gratifying, after the work and effort made by our team.

We thank you for your comments and look forward to providing you with the best of our attention soon again.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a wonderful time with my wife and the kids. Isla Mujeres is such a unique place, you really feel being in holidays. Staying at the Privilege Aluxes is just the best choice. Location is perfect, just in front of the magic beach and also at 1 min walking distance to the town.
The hotel is excellent, service us just great and facilities are in perfect shape.
We all had a great time!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sincerely thank for your kind words and for considering us the best choice on the island with the best location just steps away from the finest beach.

We are pleased that the staff, service and facilities lived up to your expectations.
Looking forward to your next visit to help you build more memorable moments.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I just returned from my second stay at Privilege Aluxes, and I can't say enough good things about this magnificent resort. Everything about this property is first class. We stayed in a Platinum Suite and had rose petals waiting for us on the floor of the bedroom along with a swan sculpture made out of towels on the bed. There was even champagne on ice waiting for us. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Platinum Suite. Amazing views and and an amazing private pool on the roof top terrace. The staff is very attentive to our every need. Once again Ponce and Miguel made our stay that much more enjoyable. The rooms at this resort are always extremely clean, and very spacious. Another couple travelling with us had a regular suite and it was much larger than many other hotels. The food is also very very good here. The upscale restaraunt Satay is Thai themed, neither my wife or I cane for Thai food so I can not comment on this, but nothing beats having lunch or dinner on the beach at Cafe del Mar. With amenities like free wifi, a top notch Spa, and a Fitness center this resort can't be beat. They even have an extensive library of books which are available at no additional charge. Due to the fact that this is a resort that has multiple dining options ( all inclusive or breakfast only) you are required to sign a check after every meal or round of drinks. A little annoying, but completely understandable. The resort is always maintained meticulously, and I never once saw a dirty ashtray, or trash of any kind laying around the resort. This was my second stay here, and definitely will not be my last! Thank You to everyone at Privilege Aluxes for another wonderful vacation! See you soon!

Room Tip: Platinum Suite 626 has the best views! Anything on floors 4 or above will provide the best views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We are grateful for your preference and for sharing your good comments with others.
It is fantastic to know that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon!

Privilege Aluxes seeks to provide experiences and services based on criteria of excellence and we like to take care of our guests.
We will always be at your disposal, we look forward to seeing you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

A group of us found this resort through online booking and have had some mixed emotions about our stay. The hotel is a little aged, but the rooms are decent. You can hear everything through the walls in your room, though. I even heard my friend discuss what he was planning to wear for dinner!
There's no information in the rooms about where and when food is served, or locations of things on the grounds. The food was a huge disappointment. Even worse, with reservations for dinner, we sat without menus for 45 minutes and weren't served for an additional hour. We had to take turns sneaking from the beach dining area over to the main buffet area for food to snack on while waiting for our meal. Then they close all dining by 10 pm and there's nothing else around unless you go to an off-site restaurant. I do have to say that the breakfast buffet was nice and more palatable. The staff are very nice and polite. I did appreciate them greatly and they do try to help when they can. The beach area during the day is nice. Comfy chairs and decent beachside service for drinks and snacks.

I don't think this place is so bad, but I've had many other experiences in similar resorts that rate much higher than this one. I do say that they have the potential to improve on the food service. It would make the resort a lot better. For now, I don't plan to return.

• Stayed May 2013
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have posted a review of this hotel in the past, but felt compelled to share the following story as a tribute to the excellence of the hotel and the AGI transfer service:

My husband had a problem (because he left his computer among other things!) after check out and we did not realize this until we had already crossed to Cancun with only a short time before our flight would take off. Between the hotel staff and the very excellent transfer service of AGI (Lalo and Bernie), the computer was hand-delivered to us at the Cancun airport and we did not miss our flight. I realize that everyone involved went above and beyond and that is what makes Privilege Aluxes, AGI, and the island so special. To be honest, I am simply amazed that it was even possible!

Once again, I just wanted to sing the praises of the staff who made our stay so enjoyable and worry-free. We loved everything from sunup to sundown: from the morning espressos in Sabor to the beautiful, friendly (and funny) lady at the towel/spa service, to the incredible staff working all day (Luis, Miguel, Hector and his team in Satay, Alex and the breakfast crew, Ponce, Guillarmo--to name just a few!). By the way, the upgraded Satay really surprised us and it is definitely worth putting in a reservation since there is limited seating during prime time.

This year we brought our foreign exchange student (from Norway) on this trip and she had the best time of her life! You can be sure that she will pass on the good work of your hotel and perhaps you will enjoy some (more)Norwegian visitors to the island? It was obvious that Isla Mujeres and Privileges was very welcoming to visitors from all over the world.

On a side note, we stayed during the week that the hotel was hosting a beautiful beach wedding. The staff didn't miss a beat and still worked hard to please even the non-wedding guests during the whole ceremony. If I wasn't married already, I would use the hotel for such a special event-the ceremony was gorgeous!

Well done Privileges!

Room Tip: The rooms with a roof-top pool are gorgeous! Use the AGI transfer service through hotel: they pick y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your comments regarding the honesty and dedication of our staff, we are very proud because we know that the guest experience depends on the good personal contact.

We hope to see you soon to make the most of your next holidays.

Been to Privilege Aluxes? Share your experiences!