“Great Stay at PA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Privilege Aluxes

You added Privilege Aluxes to your Saves list
Privilege Aluxes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
new york
“Great Stay at PA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have been going to Isla Mujeres for many years but this was the first time we stayed at PA. Normally we would not think of doing all-inclusive but we figured that at 13 dollars a person per day it was more than worth it, if only for lunch and before-dinner drinks. As it turns out, we barely budged and with one breakfast exception, ate all our meals there. Overall we really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely consider staying again. I’m a bit long-winded so thank you in advance for reading this :)

ARRIVAL

We were greeted with a cold towel and a glass of sparkling wine, very nice touches after a long day of traveling. Maria and Pedro were at the front desk, and both were friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. Jaime quickly took us and our luggage to our room, which we ended up changing, as you can see below.

ROOM

Originally we reserved a superior room but it was just way too small so we asked for an upgrade to a suite deluxe. There really is no comparison between the two so if you are like me and need a bit of space, definitely go with a suite deluxe. Maria and Pedro at the front desk really went out of their way to find us a suite since the hotel was so full, but they managed and we were really happy. Thank you guys, you’re the best!

We were in building 3 and first floor, which turned out to be perfect for speedy, uninterrupted wifi from anywhere in our room. People in other buildings have complained that it was either weak, or nonexistent. So if having wifi is important to you, ask for building 3.

Our room overlooked the pool and you could even see a bit of the ocean between the palm trees. The living room and kitchenette were huge, and the bedroom was a nice size also. There were 2 closets so you have plenty of space for your belongings. Bathroom was just beautiful, with lots of hot water and terrific water pressure. The A/C always worked perfectly, in fact, often we would shut it because it became a bit chilly.

Housekeeping was excellent, with lovely towel art provided by Adda, and our minibar was always refilled with plenty of water. I know others have mentioned a water issue but we did not find it to be a problem. Maintenance is excellent as we had a problem with our toilet running and not refilling and they sent a man up to fix it within 10 minutes. Products provided were very good quality shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, and bath salts for the Jacuzzi. Great hair dryer and lots of towels, face cloths, etc, so you really don’t have to bring anything from home.

POOL and BEACH

The pools are very clean and very well-maintained, surrounded with lots of loungers so there was no need for the towel game even though the hotel was pretty full. You exchange your towel cards for towels at the spa. There was a pool side grill where you could order off a menu (typical things like pizza, burgers, sandwiches) or have the hot daily special that they would set up. Each day it was something different and the best one was the chorizo and chicken tacos. What would have made it perfect is if they had guacamole and pico de gallo but alas, they didn’t. Other days they had BBQ chicken (chicken great, sauce too sweet for me), burgers and hot dogs, grilled meats, etc.

The beach also had plenty of palapas and loungers so as with the pool, there was no need for the towel game.

FOOD

Breakfast buffet was fine. Nothing terribly elaborate but perfectly adequate with different fruits, juices, cereal, yogurt, cold cuts and cheeses, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs, hot local dishes such as chilequilas, shredded meat or chicken, and of course an omelet station manned by the ever smiling Jose. Aside from regular coffee you can also get cappuccino, espresso, and latte. They did have a toaster, but what would make things perfect is if they also had a panini grill so you could make melted cheese and tomato sandwiches :)

Lunch on the beach is wonderful, either at your lounger under a palapa or at a table at the Café del Mar. Service is excellent and the staff works very hard. The best lunch I had there was the shrimp and steak brochettes, and my husband loved the fish filet. The ceviche was ok but would have been better with cilantro and more lime juice. As it was, it was pretty bland, although the fish was delicious. Skip the shrimp cocktail unless you like a pretty sweet, almost ketchup tasting sauce all over it.

We did not try Satay or Sabor for dinner and only had one buffet lunch at Sabor thanks to tropical storm Ernesto. Since it was raining we decided to try the buffet lunch and had chicken breast grilled to order with a salad and delicious freshly made French fries. Did not try other dishes and honestly, I don’t remember what else they had out.

We ended up having dinner at Café del Mar every day. Originally we intended to eat dinners out but then you’re sitting on the beach with a glass of wine, watching the sunset, seeing the musicians set up, and inertia would set in and you decide to stay. There is just something so magical about sitting there, watching the lights of Cancun twinkling across the water, listening to jazz or whatever live music happens to be playing. Service is terrific: a big thank you to Sergio, formerly of Villa Rolandi (their loss, PA’s gain), Enrique, Raul, Jesus, and the Captain, Augustin. Food was excellent or we would certainly not have eaten there every night. We know Isla and its restaurants really well so it’s not like we didn’t know what was “out there.”

Some of our favorite dishes were the steak and chorizo plate, the mahi mahi, the chicken breast with garlic sauce and pineapple-raisin chutney (OMG, the best), the seafood duet, filet mignon with Roquefort sauce, and the shrimps in white wine sauce. Even if you just venture off the street and pay for dinner, the prices are very reasonable with the shrimp being 130 pesos, the steak 150 pesos, etc. I highly recommend at least one dinner here whether you’re doing all-inclusive or not.

We’re wine drinkers so can’t comment on mixed drinks or beer, but the house white and red were from Chile and perfectly adequate.

MISCELLANIOUS

There is a small gym with two treadmills, a bike, and a stair master, along with some free weights. It’s not air conditioned so go early in the morning if you’re going to use it. They do have fans going and it’s the perfect place to refill your water bottle with cold water while around the pool.

The spa is pretty full-service with facials, manicures and pedicures, different types of massages, etc. I kept meaning to try them but as I said, it’s all about the inertia, lol.

Security is good with people patrolling the beach area day and night as well as the street outside the hotel.

We rented a golf cart for the week from Ciro and parked it right outside the main entrance. It was 600 pesos per day, so it’s a bit pricey but worth the freedom of going where ever you want whenever you want. We took several drives each day and it’s a lot of fun. Lot more fun than taxis, but if you go with the latter, there are always cabs cruising by so you won’t have to wait longer than a minute or two.

We loved our stay and surprised ourselves by staying put but it was just too comfortable and relaxing to do otherwise. Hope you find it the same should you decide on this hotel :)

Room Tip: Go with a suite deluxe if you like space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We truly appreciate the time you have spent writing your experience at Privilege Aluxes.
We are delighted that the overall result of your holidays was of your satisfaction.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Hebrew first
Murrells Inlet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just returned from our trip to Isla Mujeres, where we stayed at Privilege Aluxes from July 22, 2012 through July 27, 2012. See the end of the review on getting to the Hotel.

Once we arrived at Privilege, we were greeted by the staff at the front desk and were served a sparkling wine cocktail while we checked in. The bell boy then showed us up to our room. We stayed in a deluxe suite, room 333. The room was exactly as described and pictured on Privilege Aluxes’ website. It was very spacious with a beautiful ocean view also over looking the pools and pool bar. It had a kitchenette, a mini fridge (stocked daily with soft drinks, water and coronas), a huge bedroom with master bed, a living room and a wonderful terrace balcony.
We spent the first day at the pool bar. Miguel worked the pool bar every day we were there and would pour you whatever you wanted. Other days, we spent time on the beach and Jorge was our server there. He was very friendly and would bring you fresh daiquiris to your chair or the waters’ edge if you were enjoying the ocean.

Food is what we expected knowing you will be eating most of your meals at the same couple of restuarants. With that said, there was a good variety and all tasted good.

Breakfast daily was at Sabor and was buffet, but it had everything from fruits and yogurt to pancakes and French toast to fresh made omelets by Marta. Israel was our server on a couple mornings for breakfast and he always greeted you with a great smile and sincerely wished you a wonderful day as you left. On other mornings, we had an older gentleman for our server and he was a nice as can be and even offered us tequila to go, which we had to unfortunately decline because we were going scuba diving.

David was our server for lunch one day at Café del Mar and was extremely nice. On the other days, it was nice to eat inside at Sabor to cool off. Sabor had a wonderful al carte lunch and the chicken fajitas were excellent.

Marta also served a wonderful grilled fish taco at lunch behind the pool bar, which was always served with a beautiful smile.

On numerous occasions, the managers would stop by to check on your service and make sure you had everything you needed for a pleasant stay.

There is also 24 hour room service in the event you arrive back at the hotel too late or are still hungry.

We never once waited for a table, food or a drink and all of the staff was super friendly and accommodating.

You always read the horror stories about all inclusives where the food and service were bad and the drinks were watered down. I can truly say that was not our experience at Privilege Aluxes. The service was prompt and the drinks were made however you wanted them. I would highly recommend this place.

Getting to Isla
After researching transportation to Isla, it appeared the fastest, best transportation was a private shuttle bus to the ferry at Puerto Juarez. We purchased our transportation directly from the Cancun Airport website at http://www.cancun-airport.com/transportation.htm or cancunshuttle.com. We selected the private service to “FERRY PUERTO JUAREZ”. The cost was $70 US roundtrip, which ran 24 hours a day and the costs was for the entire shuttle, up to 10 people, and they do not combine groups so you have the shuttle to yourself. We met our transportation right outside the airport. They dropped us off right at the ferry and we never waited for our ride to or from the airport. I would highly recommend Cancun Shuttle. Once we got off the ferry, our hotel was a very short walk from the docks, maybe 400 yards. There are several locals outside the ferry that will carry your luggage by bicycle while you enjoy the walk to the hotel. If you prefer, you can take a cab, which we did to get back to the ferry and the costs was about $5 US.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at surfski8@hotmail.com

Matt W.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PrivFD, Reception at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience and allow us contact you.

We are pleased to know that the staff, food & drinks and the hotel in general meet your expectations.
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

...just REALLY inconsistent. Just DO NOT purchase an 'all inclusive' plan. I can't tell you what a waste of money it is. My friend and I love to party and eat whilst on holiday.....we NEVER spent as much as the price of an 'all inclusive' plan. We booked the normal room rate that came with free breakfast (breakfast was always fine). During booking and check-in (they give you an option to up-grade your stay to 'all inclusive' if you so desire) the price for 'all inclusive' per night vs. just eating and drinking around town simply does not add up. When I booked on Expedia 'all inclusive' was about 80.00 more per night (USD).....we played and ate all day and partied all night....we NEVER paid anything near 1,051 MXN peso and that's the current exchange rate for 80.00 USD to MXN. I mean the average Sol or Corona is only 20 MXN and GREAT food was never more than 90 MXN.
The room was fine...I'm not fussy. The bathroom & shower was GREAT....the jacuzzi tub on my balcony confusing...why do I want to take a bath on my balcony in the midst of the hotel? Why do I want to party in a hot-tub when it's really, really, really warm and humid outside? Regardless, it made a nice place to let your bathing-suit dry.
The problem was (as I said) the inconsistency of the whole place. You could be at the front desk with three different staff members. One staff member would be so genuine and kind (such as Cindy) and the other two would act like A). You weren't there or B). It was just not 'in fashion' to be polite that day. I mean, a simple 'buenos dias' goes a long way.....that goes for guests and employees. It got to the point where we stopped using the main entrance all together due to some (NOT all) of the staff's 'coldness'. Cindy at the front desk and Daniel at the breakfast joint are really fantastic. Jaime is just as entertaining as they come and I found all of the staff on the little beach area of the hotel really great and fun to talk to.
The entire time we were there NOBODY could come to a consensus on the hotel 'water policy'. We were told you get X amount of bottled water a day BUT just keep the bottle and any of the restaurants or bars in the hotel would fill them up for you. That's really great because even though the water from your bathroom sink is safe to drink, you DON'T want to....it's pretty salty. So you make coffee in your room, you brush your teeth and then you need some more water. So I took the larger bottle with me to breakfast and it was filled 'no problem'. That afternoon it ALL changed. Sure they would re-fill your bottle! And they'll charge you! So then I was told they only re-fill water bottles for free at breakfast. WHAT? I wasn't aware water cost more in the afternoon or evening vs. morning.....but that's basically what kind of sense that all made.
So I solved the problem in one big swoop.....just buy at the store across the road (so cheap) and keep it in your room fridge. It's not worth the HUGE amount of time it takes the hotel to figure out WHAT the policy is about the water. Just don't tell people you'll re-fill it for free and then act like they are crazy when they ask for it.
If you need to use a printer it's kind of the same thing...one person tells you they'll be happy to print it at the front desk and the next person thinks you're nuts.
I'm not the kind of person who wants to 'live' at the hotel when on holiday. So for a nice room/shower/bed....it was fine. I'm not going to live at the pool when I have the beach on all sides of me. Plus, the hotel and it's beach area are kind of small. It's not a mega resort like you would find on Cancun but that is fine by me!
Did I have a nice stay? Yes. Was I expecting a little more? Yes, probably. Would I stay there again? Personally, no. I found that the little apartments across the street more of what I would like.....a little place to make a little home for an extended stay.
And just some advice while on the 'town' (the main drags are along the front and back of the hotel) don't fall for the 2 for 1 drink signs at the restaurants and bars without asking how much!!! We found 2 for 1 beer to be priced around 50-60 peso. Yet you would have a bar RIGHT next door where a bottle cost 20 peso. So for the record 2 for 1 drinks are usually the cost (or more) for two drinks at just about ANY place that doesn't have a 2 for 1 sign.....and when you see how inexpensive drinks are at the store you'll regret the one you took out of your fridge if you're not on the 'all inclusive' plan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We apologize for the inconveniences while your stay. We thank you for your suggestions, that are of great assistance to improve our work. About improvements in our all inclusive package, we would like to confirm that we will have new changes in our buffet menu and room service offer. We hope travelers will find new changes to their satisfaction. Thanks again to give us the opportunity to write our management response and for reviewing Privilege Hotels.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Overall this is a nice resort. The rooms are spacious & clean, although the beds are not all that comfortable. The beach & pools were great & not too crowded. The resort is super close to Hidalgo Street which is where many restaurants, bars & shops are located. We do not recommend the all-inclusive option. The food was horrible. The breakfast buffet was decent with a large selection. Satay was awful. The food had no flavor & in no way resembled a Thai restaurant. Dinner at Cafe Del Mar was equally horrible. We ordered gnocchi & received eight pieces of gnocchi smothered in a cheese sauce that looked like soup. There are no menus in the rooms for room service so we had to call & ask what they served. We ended up with a club sandwich & cheeseburger but only chose to eat the fries. Also, with the all inclusive option you only receive draft beer, house wine & well drinks that are watered down. We begun eating & drinking outside of the resort on day three because we were so disappointed. Definitely opt for the breakfast only choice & spend your food/drink budget elsewhere. On a good note, the staff & service was great. The food definitely ruined the experience for us.

• Stayed August 2012
Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Wife and I heard about this resort from a family friend. I can not thank them enough for telling us about the Aluxes. We had such a wonderful time on our honeymoon and staying here just added to it. We have no complaints about this Resort. The staff was always around and friendly. Room service on point. The food at the hotel was great. I would suggest going the all inclusive route. This way you get free drink and food. All you have to do is tip. Bring about $100-$200 in american ones with you. Mix in some $5's too. These will go along way when tipping. The pools and beach were breathtaking. Beach privacy was wonderful. You didn't have to deal with anybody coming up and wanting to sell you anything. the Aluxes has security guards that handle that. The little island that the resort is located on lived up to the reviews. We enjoyed the shopping and dinning. You can rent golf carts and take a ride to the other end of the island in about 20min. We will defiantly be going back for our one year anniversary.

You can see the video I took of our suite on youtude. Suite 153

Room Tip: Room on the top floor. Views are awesome.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a belated honeymoon at Privilege Aluxes and we were very pleased with the resort. We arrived very late on August 1 and left August 5. The front desk staff was pleasant at our check-in. We booked a Living Social deal, so our room was a Suite Premium and was VERY LARGE with a great view of the pool. The living area, bedroom, bathroom, and balcony were all immaculate and they were nice enough to set out a bottle of champage and fruit platter upon arrival. We also were greeted with another bottle of champage and meat/cheese platter another evening.

We ate at all 3 restaurants and enjoyed the food and service at each one. We sampled many Mexican dishes, including the fried whole fish, ceviche, all sorts of tacos, and delicious guacamole. We also sampled many different cocktails at the pool bar (Miguel & Ponce are SO nice) and at the beach. We met a lot of really nice people everywhere.

The resort is small and intimate, not like a Sandals, but we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. We didn't really care about nightlife activities since we were busy with diving during the day. We did not feel that the beach or pool were too crowded during our stay. There is a lot of boat traffic at this end of the island close to shore, so that's probably why there aren't any kayaks or beach watersports available.

Our package included a couples massage, but only I took advantage of the spa service. I got a deep tissue massage from Maria which was very enjoyable.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our accommodations and the service provided by everyone at the resort!

Room Tip: Our room was in Building 5 and had a nice view of the pool. You could hear a little bit of street n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I booked a trip from July 28th Through August 4th and I must say this was the worst all inclusive resort we stayed in. We were dissappointed from the moment we arrived first our driver was not at the dock after we took the ferry so we had to jump on another taxi when we arrived we were given two glasses of wine with two cheap paper clothes. We were then taken to our room which was a dissapointment as it was not the room we booked and it was dark and lonely we were instantly depressed and wanted to get the heck out of there. So my wife and I tried to look pass this then we went to the restaurant by the beach for dinner and realized we were next to a cemetary pretty spooky especially at night my wife could barely sleep dinner by the beach was disgusting we tried sabor estaurant in the hotel and I think It was mexican night all I could say is that I have had better mexican food in nyc. We were looking through the hotel for entertainment but there was none we got so bored we went on the internet to look for other resorts. We realized we could no longer be here and decided it was time to get out of here after one day and suddenly it was like they upgraded our room, brought us champagned and fresh fruits. We were thinking why couldnt we get this treatment when we came in. We were turned away from the thai restaurant even though there was only 2 couples because we did not have reservations. We decided to make reservations for the next night and were disappointed with the food. We love Isla de las mujeres hated the Privilege Aluxes we will never be returning there. We do however want to thank the waiters and waitress cause they are so hard working. Tips get an entertainment team have your staff taste the food and see whether its good. Have activities by beach non motorized sports, coconut or mexican grilled partys by the beach. More interactions with the guest it feels like a business it doesnt feel like a personal connection with the guest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
On behalf of our management we would like to thank you for your review and suggestions. We will take them into consideration. We are very sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Mujeres
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi
#9 of 36 in Isla Mujeres
4.5 of 5 stars 258 reviews

Been to Privilege Aluxes? Share your experiences!