“Rip off” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 151 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican, Pizza & Pasta, Winery
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Mexican Restaurant with a variety of traditional dishes such as Salads, Pizzas, Pastas, Burgers, Chicken, Grilled Whole Fish and Fish fillet, Seafood, Steakhouse, Beef. Surf and Turf, Big Steak Grill Plate and Big Sea Food Plate.Especialidades; Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tacos, Burritos, Stuf Chiles, Molcajete Steak, Quesadillas. National and International drinks. Wines Cava From Mexico, Chile, Itali and Argentina.
Chicago, Illinois
“Rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went there our first night on Isla. The food was ok but when the bill came there was an extra 10% added. When I asked what it was they said it was a tax. I told them I thought there was no tax in Mexico. He insisted it was a tax so I left a 15% tip on top of it. I talked to other restaurant owners and waiters and told them about the 10 %. They told me there was no tax and that we basically tipped them 25 % for an average meal and very mediocre service. We will never eat there again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New York, New York, United States
“Delicious food, great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We went to Brisa twice as we had a fantastic meal the first time.
I had the whole grilled red snapper and my husband had a Rib Eye steak ... both were absolutely delicious! The service was great. Very friendly and there was nothing at all we could complaint about. The margaritas were very nice. The second time I had Mayan Fish - which was a fillet of Grouper - that was great too. My husband had beef tacos and the meat was not as soft, but still tasty. If you go for tacos we have learnt that the best choice is generally the fish tacos - you can't go wrong.
They have a good deal on the drinks too. I loved the salsa they serve as an appetiser with tortilla chips. Will definitely try to make it at home now.
The highlight of the restaurant is - fish and steak.

Visited December 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Where we discovered Quesa Fundido con Chorizo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our first night on Isla; we were tired and hungry. The taxi dropped us off outside Brisa Mexicana and we just stayed. I ordered a Chelada and my husband ordered a Sol. The waiter asked if we wanted red or green sauce and I told him green. What a surprise I had when I got Enchilada Suiza rather than a glass of lime juice, ice, salt and beer. I told him we did not order Enchilada's and he said we did. We obviously had two waiters because the other had brought me a Chelada, so I was confused. I didn't want to argue, and I do like Enchilada Suiza, so I kept them. I must say, they were delicious!

We also ordered Quesa Fundido con Chorizo and it is our new favorite. Our local Mexican place had something similar, but definitely not as good as what you can get on Isla. We got it every night we were someplace that had it the rest of the trip.

I had the Fish Mayan and it was the best I had all week (and I had it three places!) My husband had been and it was ok, but not terrific. Although, Isla isn't really known for their beef, so he had no one to blame by himself!

Overall, service was good, food was good, atmosphere was good. It was good. If you are in Centro and just want to sit, it's as good a place as any.

Visited November 2012
Quadra Island BC
“Hungarian potatoes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Definitely try the Hungarian potatoes, like scalloped potatoes but better! Also had the Cobb salad which was huge, definitely more than enough to share with someone else

Visited November 2012
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Waiter lied to us about a tax and took it as a tip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have good news and bad news about the restaurant, so the overall rating doesn't reflect the restaurant's potential. The good news is that if you want a grilled whole red snapper on the island, this might be the best one -- perfectly charred, fresh, and perfectly seasoned. I was in heaven eating this. We also had decent spaghetti with lobster. Please skip the seafood soup, which had plentiful octopus, calamari, and shrimp, but the broth lacked depth and flavor -- totally forgettable. Their "free" margarita to get you in the door reminded me of a Snoopy Snow Cone machine snack and also not worthwhile. Okay, so let's get to the other bad news. We were in a great mood at the end and ready to pay. We asked the waiter if the "45" added to the "450 peso" bill was a tip. He said "No, it is tax." We asked again and he confirmed what he said, just to make sure we heard correctly. However, we had never seen this before or after on the bill anywhere else on the island. That night we were in too merry a mood to question it further, so we added a tip to leave a total of 620 pesos. It was only in hindsight that I am miffed that we were fooled. I can afford the extra tip, so whatever you need to do to make a living, I guess, I just hate being lied to. The sad thing is, he was at least an okay server and we offered him one of our cigars too! So my service rating is not going to reflect his actual serving ability.

• Visited November 2012