“work in progress” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Aura Cozumel

You added Secrets Aura Cozumel to your Saves list
Secrets Aura Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur | Zona Hotelera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Aura Cozumel Grand Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Pekin, Illinois
“work in progress”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were booked to stay at Sunscape Sabor next door to Secrets Aura. We kept reading bad review after bad review. We went with an open mind and determination to have a great trip. With that in mind, we get to the resort on March 29th and they could not find our reservation but after a few minutes, we were told they did not have a room for us, but would be transferring us next door to Secrets Aura. We were excited. We had a huge room with a great bed and a balcony overlooking a pool and the beach. We had great service from Vicki the waitress around the pool area, Hector, Jesus, Sergio, and I know I am going to spell his name wrong, but he never stood still long enough for me to jot it down - Margarino??? the waiters, Lewis (???) at the lobby bar, and Brandon the towel boy. I almost forgot to mention our maid Martha. I lost one of my diamond earrings. We looked everywhere. We went down to the pool and when we came up at the end of the day, there laid my earring by the bathroom sink. Not sure where she found it, but we made sure the front desk, her supervisor, and Martha were aware of her good deed. These people always went out of their way with a smiling face and comments. The food was a complaint in many other reviews, not sure what people were complaining about. The guys in our group would have liked to have been given more food but it was all very good. Since we were at Secrets, we could venture next door to Sunscape. Their eating establishments were very good. Loved the buffet breakfast. If you go to Secrets Aura, be sure to go up to the Skye Bar and experience the beautiful sunsets. I only have two wishes: we had such a great time last year at Secrets the Vine with their awesome entertainment crew and activities, we wish this resort would look at doing some of the same activities. My other issue, there were not enough bathrooms near the pools and people would come off the beach and wash their feet off in the pool - that is WRONG.

Room Tip: We were in room 1027. Awesome
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hi cmonks59,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We had the most wonderful time at Secrets Aura. They upgraded us to a swim up in the newer front section with an ocean view . What a delight it was . We have had a swim up previously at Secrets Maroma and loved it and I can tell you the swim up we had at Secrets Aura ruled . The suite was extremely spacious and elegant enough to please anybody . This front section of the hotel is the same section that is advertise with all the photos on their wed site . It is not the preferred area as the preferred area does not have a swim ups at all . The front swim up section does not have an in water bar to get drinks at but does have a large main pool with a lazy river running the perimeter around to all the swim up suites . Very quite area and a place to relax with very little noise . You could hear the waves from the ocean . We enjoyed everything this resort had to offer. The restaurants were delicious and once you figured how to avoid lines up , you would have the largest smile on your faces as you will be treated to superb dinning .
We enjoyed walking 4 miles every morning on the beach , 2 miles down to Allegro Cozumel and 2 miles back passing four public beaches that catered to all the tourist from the cruise ships . Enjoyed watching all the tourist playing with all the floating water toys out in the water. It's like an amusement park in the water . The sand on the beaches in Cozumell are a little courser then beaches on the mainland and if your feet are sensitive to sharp little shells you may want to wear water shoes . We always walked on the wet sand which was a little bit better .
The snorkelling around the pier at the resort was extremely rewarding and bring your own snorkel gear if you have some . Leave your fins at home and bring water shoes . Loved having lunch everyday at Oceana while feeling the breeze on our faces and watching people walking on the pier and beaches . Will definitely be going back to Secrets Aura .
Would like to thank all of the staff at Secrets Aura that made our trip special and a special thanks to Rafeel from the customer service for looking after some of our special request .

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Peter M,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share such an enthusiastic review about your recent visit to Secrets Aura. We are overjoyed to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay, specially room, location and restaurants.

Please be confident that we’ve shared your kind comments with our team as motivation to keep up with our commitment to offer truly remarkable experiences in our guests. We thank you on behalf of our team and Management.

We sincerely hope we can have the honor of being your hopes in not too distant future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We just got back from our week vacation from this resort. I have been reading the reviews and don't understand why people had so many complaints. We have been to the top of the line resorts each year and thought it was wonderful. Though not a 5 star I agree but we thought it was fantastic. For what we payed it was well worth the trip.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Bethany K,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I feel as though a little background on who I am may help you determine if this review is relevant to you before you spend time reading it. We are a blue collar, middle class family from the western United States and we consider ourselves “low maintenance” travelers. We have stayed in everything from tents to cruise ship cabins and everything in between and have been on several all-inclusive trips in, and around, Mexico before. We traveled to Cozumel and Secrets Aura with 2 other couples, and after reading all the TripAdvisor reviews before going, I was pretty nervous about what we would find.

Our flight arrived in Cozumel early and after finding the Apple transportation we got to Secrets around 2pm. Check-in was smooth and stress free. We had asked to be put in rooms close to our friends and were pleased to find out our rooms were all just a few doors apart. During check-in one of the employees came out with 6 glasses of champagne to help us start our vacation off right. Both of the other couples declined the drinks and a few minutes later the employee came back with something better, 2 beers for the guys and 2 margaritas for the ladies. 1 couple took the drinks and the other couple informed the employee that they don’t drink alcohol so a few minutes later the man came back with 2 cold bottles of water. The man made 3 trips different trips to ensure our vacation was started off right and soon we were all offered moist towels to go along with our drinks while we finished the check in process.

We all had ocean view swim up junior suites, ours was room 1211. There was no waiting for the room to be ready and our luggage was delivered to our rooms for us. The views from the rooms were incredible and I would highly recommend a swim up suite to anyone. In previous reviews I have noticed people complaining about smells, mold, and the age of the rooms, so I was nervous. As I said, my wife and I are pretty low maintenance people and if we had looked hard enough we could have found imperfections in the room. The furniture was older, there were signs of wear, but for us, the property and location made it easy to overlook the minor issues of the room. Our air conditioner worked the entire time without problem and we never ran out of water, towels, or any of the items the hotel provides, including items from the minibar. We stayed 6 nights and 7 days at Secrets Aura and housekeeping came every day but one, and we had turndown service every night, usually while we were out to dinner.

The staff at the restaurants works hard, but the service is not as quick as we have come to expect at some of the other resorts we have stayed at. The food was ok, and I won’t comment much on that because I believe that everyone has individual tastes and you will probably like things I don’t, and vice versa. I would say that the portions are small and that ordering multiple appetizers and main courses seemed a common practice by many of the other diners at the resort. One way to make your meal faster is to order everything (appetizers, main course, and dessert) at the same time. I believe this is what the staff expect you to do. Even though we were a party of 6 every time we ate, the staff never seemed to have any issue finding a table for us, and we never had to wait more than just a few minutes to be seated for any meal. (We ate at close to 6pm every night.) My wife and one of the other couples are vegetarians and the restaurants were great at adjusting the menu for their dietary needs, and twice the chef created a special dish not even on the menu for my wife when he learned she was vegetarian. We ordered room service several times and never had to wait longer than 30 minutes from the time of our phone call to the food and drinks being delivered.

The drinks were always good and served with a smile. I do feel that the resort would benefit from hiring a few more employees to serve drinks around the pool areas and at the beach. Even with good tips to the servers it would still take quite a while between drink orders on the beach, but for us it was no big deal to get up and get our own drinks as there is a bar right on the beach near the ocean and the pool.

The pools were all great. The water was never too cold and I noticed employees out every day skimming the pools and cleaning up trash. My one complaint regarding the pool is that our swim out suite seemed to be right at a “dead spot” and a lot of cigarette package wrappers and other debris ended up pooling in front of our patio and despite the daily cleaning, we sometimes had to police the pool ourselves in order to enjoy the water. I can’t blame the hotel for guests throwing trash in the pools, and Aura employees seemed to try to keep the grounds spotless at all times. (I would also mention that the “lazy river” others have commented on is really just a part of the pool, there is no current to speak of. If you want to float on the river you have to paddle yourself around.) The onsite store sells everything from sunscreen ($32usd) to floatation devices ($9usd) for enjoying the pools. We spent one day at the back of the resort and enjoyed using the pool with the swim up bar and the waterslides.

Throughout our week at Secrets Aura we walked over to Sunscape Sabor several times to eat and explore. We passed through the “Preferred Area” of Secrets on our way to Sunscape, and weren’t really impressed. While the Preferred Area folks get their own pool, the beach isn’t any better, and we would rather have the swim up options personally. (I have no idea what the cost of a preferred room is, and we were never pressured to take the time-share tour others have mentioned.) The “back way” to the sister resort requires you to pass a construction zone and trash dump which isn’t great but shouldn’t deter from your trip. Unfortunately, during our walks to Sabor, we did occasionally note the sewage smell that other reviewers have mentioned but it only lasted a short time and was really location specific and did not seem to permeate the entire resort. (We also noted the smell at the Manatees swim up bar in a very specific spot, and smelled it once in our room when the Jacuzzi tub drain plug came loose. Upon returning the drain plug to the tub, the smell stopped and we never had any other issues with it.) That scent issue could certainly be distracting and cause disappointment in a vacation but we were fortunate to be away from those odors 95% of the time and it didn’t bother us.

We only attended one night show during our stay, which was the fire show on the beach, and that was only because it was our first night there and they had a beach buffet for the evening meal. We never made it to the nightclub or to the Skybar while there was anything going on, although we did check it out while we were exploring, and it looked ok. We used the snorkel equipment and the kayaks and that all appeared to be in good working order, and the staff offered to take us out in the HobieCat for a trip since I didn’t know how to use it. We declined, but I observed one staff member take 2 ladies out for a sail on the HobieCat that lasted over 45 minutes.

The staff at Secrets, although sometimes shorthanded, were always pleasant and outgoing, and never seemed to hinting for or demanding tips for service. As I noted, housekeeping, turn-down, and minibar service occurred daily (we always had a towel bar and the resort activity flyer was on our bed every night next to the mints). Our first day there, while unpacking, we asked for extra hangers for our closet since there are no dressers in the room. Within 5 minutes the concierge had someone deliver us 10 extra hangers, just one more example of the kind of service we received. While the restaurant staff was slow, they tried hard. I believe that the language barrier might have led to some miscommunication but the staff always went out of their way to fix any issues that arose. I mentioned the excellent service during check-in, and since we had a late flight home, the front desk offered us a late check-out time at no additional cost. We carried our own bags to the concierge desk so I cannot comment on luggage pick-up during check out.

After reading all the reviews before our trip, I went into Secrets Aura with pretty low expectations that were rapidly exceeded by the staff and accommodations that we found. With a few exceptions I believe that Secrets is a pretty good deal for the price, and if you want better rooms or faster service that is something you will probably have to pay for when you upgrade to a fancier resort. My wife and I like to try new places when we vacation, but if we go back to Cozumel, we would strongly consider returning to our Swim Out Junior Suite at Secrets Aura.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend getting a Jr Swim Out Suite with the Ocean View.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Hi Nicholas S,

Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

A relative chose this as a wedding venue and though that was beautiful, the 'all-inclusive' experience was less than sterling. Though the food quality was high, getting it was an exercise in frustration.

After the wedding, service on the beach was non-existent and no/wrong drinks were brought so we resorted to walking to the bar ourselves to get them.

Several of us sat down at a restaurant and ordered hamburgers for lunch at 12. We left at 1:05 on our chartered boat without eating because no one had yet been served.

So for a $50 day pass, we got breakfast which also took more than an hour. Again, high quality and incredibly slow service.

I understand those who stayed at the resort experienced similar service - all for $325/person/day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SusczeConcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hi boater87,

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

There seems to have been a number of deficiencies encountered which are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; if this stay was marred by irregular circumstances, we can only renew our apologies and assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

We are working on a daily basis to exceed our guest’s expectations and would love to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future to offer you a remarkable stay.

Warm regards,
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at this Secrets property for a wedding. Beautiful resort. Great beaches, beautiful pools, amazing entertainment staff, and great water sports options. Service was beyond poor. Average time for lunch was 2 hours and getting our food all together was not an option. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner the servers were all great and were trying very hard, but they were significantly understaffed. The one waitress trying to handle lunch around the pool was in over her head. After ordering a chicken sandwich 3 times over 3 hours we finally gave up. If you stay here, also be aware of the 'spa coupons'. The resort advertises you each get $100 in resort coupons. This is a hoax. You get a booklet of mini coupons and you can only use one at a time and you can't use them for facials, pedicures, etc. The prices are cheaper to just use the prices listed in the spa. Also, in order to pick up your spa coupons you have to meet with someone who tries to sell you a 'preview' of their time share experiences in order to get more coupons. We were very disappointed by this. It was more about being sold and them annoying us than arriving to the resort and relaxing. If you stay here...on checkout you will be asked what time you want your luggage picked up. Don't mess with it because the cart never showed up for us and we wasted a half hour messing with it, then waited another half hour in line trying to check out. Overall the property is beautiful but we would definitely not return because of the endless poor service. It ruined our stay and the other couple's stay we were with. I would not return or recommend anyone else to this property. There are many other fabulous options in Cozumel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Cr0ssC0untryTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you enjoyed such as Great beaches, beautiful pools, amazing entertainment staff, and great water sports options however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I wish to reassure you, that I have shared and are trying to address your comments with our department heads to ensure that we take all the necessary actions to improve our services

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at Secrets Aura 18-25th March. We were met with towels and a nice glass of Champagne and Check-in was quick and efficient.

We then went straight to our beautiful suite - a swim-out room, and then to dinner at Windows.
Food at all the restaurants was really great, but my favourite place was the small breakfast restaurant where you could get an "American Breakfast" which included a beautiful plate of fresh fruit and then your choice of pancakes or a traditional Bacon and Egg breakfast. As much coffee as you could hold and served but great staff. In fact, the Staff here deserve extra mention, because they are all great.

The beach is good and the snorkelling right off the beach is wonderful with plenty to see and you can swim under the jetty. My only niggle is that there are not enough Cabanas in the "Non-Preffered" areas.

We'll be back next year.

Room Tip: My recommendation - get a swim out room. They take you straight to the swim up bar!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi trevpond,

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

Warm regards

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!