“Fantastic Staff, great beach, Excellent Service. Almost everything A+” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Aura Cozumel

You added Secrets Aura Cozumel to your Saves list
Secrets Aura Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur | Zona Hotelera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Aura Cozumel Grand Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Columbus, OH
“Fantastic Staff, great beach, Excellent Service. Almost everything A+”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I were here for our 5th anniversary. I was concerned based on some of the negative reviews I found after booking. However, In retrospect I can see where some folks simply have an unrealistic expectation of what a resort in mexico will be like. There is some construction going on, but it is September so...the slowest time of the year for the resort which is when they do the upkeep and improvements. I will start with the good and finish with the negative.
Room: We had the Junior swim-up Oceanfront and loved it! Housekeeping was excellent (thanks Juanita!) with mini fridge stocked with Dos Equis, soda and water. There was also three little airplane bottles of Vodka, Bacardi and Jack Daniels, which were replaced every day. The bed was a king, but definitely shorter than a North american king...I am 5' 8" and my feet hung off the end.
Food: This is my second all-inclusive (We did the Marriott-St. Thomas for our honeymoon) and third Mexican resort (see my other reviews). the food here was at least three steps up from the other non-inclusives I have stayed at and a solid step above the Marriott-St. Thomas. Food was really great! Small, gourmet courses so I ordered appetizer, soup (bisque was 3 star), entree and dessert most every meal. I left satisfied but not over stuffed.
Beach: Great snorkeling right off the pier! We saw multiple smaller sand rays, a giant 6' sea ray, and 3 foot barracuda all just off the dock! The beach has a stony entrance so bring water shoes or just jump off of the pier (my fave)!
Staff: Excellent, excellent, excellent!! Your wish is their command. Everything you want they will do for you. the only time I saw any hesitation is when a drunken group of folks a few patios down from us started demanding that one of the custodial staff bring them more beers. For the record I was embarrassed for their behavior but he did go get a waitress to bring them some beers. keep in mind, they weren't at the pool or the beach or the bar, they were on their patio a couple suites down from us...anyway: Margherito, Allery, and Marcos all did fantastic jobs seeing to our every wish!
All-in all I have no complaints. There are some things that will always be different about a Mexican resort versus and American: Their will always be mosquitos, their will almost always be some place on the resort that has a sewery smell (we didn't find it at this resort), and their will always be a smaller selection of American / European wines / beers. it is what it is. You might find three beers on a mainland resort (Dos Equis, Tecate, and Pabst).
Pool: there are two pools at the resort. One with the oceanfront view and one behind the ocean front buildings (Manatee bar). Our experience was this: Manatees is smaller and tended to have the "partier" crowd. It was cleaner and has a bar right next to it-not swim up, but step out. The beach side pool (Secrets pool) was much larger, much quieter but the bar is a little further away. Explains why I only saw poolside service at the Secrets pool. One of my only two negatives are that the Secrets pool seem dirtier than I would have liked. On one day it had so many dead bugs and plant particles that I simply got out of it and went snorkeling. I did notice that it was much cleaner the next day. I just felt they could have cleaned it more often. My other negative was the 'events planning'. We got a schedule of events on our first full day, but when my wife went to the Secrets poool...their was no Bingo! We found out later that it was at the Manatees pool...DOH! Also, the same schedule has which restaurants will be open that night. We decided on Oceana, cause my wife loved the Ocean view, but when we got their it was closed. We ended up dining at Windows instead. Still great food, just wonder why they give out the schedule if you are not following it, but maybe they had a staff shortage or something. Things like that happen behind the scenes, I guess. All in all I give 5 stars to the food, staff, and room. Three stars to the pool and 4 to the events schedule. I would have given 4.5 stars but couldn't. All in all I wouldn't worry too much about the negative reviews. We loved it and would definitely go back!!!

Room Tip: Building 12 has good ocean views on the 2nd and 3rd floors!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear munselln8,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are inspired by your many compliments and are certain that your comments will go a far way in motivating our staff. We are grateful to hear that your anniversary stay with us was excellent due to our accommodating staff, food, beach, snorkeling and overall service had met your satisfaction. To this end, it is unfortunate that you had not reported your discomfort in the fact that the pool was not cleaned as often as you would have liked or that entertainment did not quite follow their schedule whilst you were in house. Please accept our apologies and we are happy that you will not let this hinder you from returning to our resort.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Iowa, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

stayed here 5 nights as an extended weekend get- a-way. They aere still in the process of doing some room rennovations but it was still very quite. We had the bi level room with a roof private pool. well worth the extra money. Staf betond excellent. Miguel at teh concierege desk outstanding. Food was perfect. The beach is beautiful but definately more rocky than we thought. we did bring water shoes just in case. once past that point the water was perfect. Pools were amazing but we spent more time on the beach. Nice stretch of beach to walk in the evening and very romantic. we snorkeled right off the pier and saw some very cool fish. I highyl recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the roomw ith the pool onteh roof. we had so much privacy and a great view of the...
Dear Jacqueline76,

Your comments about our property being the best mean so much to us and your additional compliments about our solarium suite, friendly staff, and enjoyable time spent on our beach and snorkeling was certainly encouraging to our team. We recognize that there are other hotels from which you could have chosen to spend your vacation and the fact that you chose our property means a lot to us. However, it was even more rewarding to hear that you had a positively memorable stay.

Clark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Swim out suite. Snorkeling right from the hotel beach, saw stingrays, and lots of fish.
Great restaurants, great bars. Wonderful staff, great hotel guests. Spa was clean and very relaxing. One of the best vacations I have ever taken. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Swim out suites are fantastic or 3rd floor private pool rooms are also great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Rob B,

We are grateful for the opportunity to have served you. We have noted that you enjoyed our wonderful property and its facilities such as our Secrets Spa, restaurants, bars, friendly staff and snorkeling. Our staff works assiduously for the satisfaction of all our guests, so hearing that you had an amazing stay was certainly motivating to our team.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The rooms were nice and beds comfortable. Staff very nice.

Restaurant needed a better wine selection for its foreign guests. Drank champagne instead.
Also suggest a selection of whole wheat bread.

The timing of the mosquito fogging at dinner was inappropriate. I would suggest the propane mosquito magnets which you can purchase for your outside seating areas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bunny20132013,

Your kind comments about our rooms, comfort of beds and staff means a lot to us. In addition we are deeply appreciative of the reviews by our guests as they assist us in gauging the needs of our property and making improvements where needed. To this end, we were disappointed to learn of your thoughts regarding our fogging time, however we have changed them accordingly. Please be assured that we intend to make every effort to look into your suggestions and make these subsequent improvements happen.

Salt Lick, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My girl and I traveled from Eastern Kentucky and arrived on August 24 we stayed for 7 days. When we arrived at the airport the timeshare people tried to grab us. So trust me keep going to the front exit doors and look for the Amstar-Apple rep for help. Arriving at the hotel, we received a good reception and our room was ready. We stayed in a swim up sweet beachfront. The room was great and our AC worked terrific. The staff was pleasant and they tried to keep our glasses full. The beach was rocky and was OK for snorkeling. The food was decent but small portions. The breakfast was great (omelets). The spa was nice and I surprised my girl with a massage and they pampered her. I heard other people got some special deals like 89 dollars-and they should always offer this. My opinion is the spa staff was always bored and if they would lower the rates, they would be making money instead of doing nothing and not making any money. I was worried about the weather based on the forecast, but we had great weather all week, I believed it rained only two days for a little bit. We saw a water spout out in the ocean and that was wild. The taxi service was 13 dollars each way and even to town, except when you go back to the airport, this was 29 dollars. Make sure you have cash, cause the ATM wouldn't work anywhere on the island one night. The one place I would recommend is Alberto's on the beach, they go out and catch the seafood fresh and I had the King Crab and my girl had the Lobster. WOW we were so stuffed, we couldn't eat anything but the meat. This was the second best tail that I ever had, if you know what I mean. LOL, I got a shirt that says that and I thought I had a good line.The staff was great to name a few, Julio (events), Wilber (sky bar), Denna (desk was very helpful), but stay away from the timeshare rep Richard (jerk) he wanted us to complain over little things. Tip the people they deserve it. We went to a park on the main island called Xplor and it was excellent, don't go to the zip lines first because you will waste half your day waiting to get started. So we did the rafts first and then the zip lines and we was able to complete all of the 2.5 miles and then did the 4x4 ride and even free lunch. Our friends went to the zip lines first and they didn't get to half of what we did or eat. This was a great park and we would do this again. On the island we did the snorkel tour 3 reefs- with the ChaChoo tour on the Dora doa boat and we saw a sea turtle, lobsters, starfish heaven and the staff was great and we bought the video and pictures for thirty dollars. We just watch it and it was work it.
We also rented a dune buggy from HTL rentals for one day for 62 dollars with collision and went around the island by ourselves and toured the Mayan Ruins. Our friends found a bar Bob Marley's on the beach that served Peanut Butter Tequila and they said it was great, we didn't get to try this one, but we did do a Tequila tour located by the Mayan Ruin Church and our tour guide was Alex (very professional). It was very knowledgeable and we tried all kinds of flavors. We found out only 35 family's can make true Tequila. The Secrets resort has many bars including a Disco and we had no problem finding a good time. Don Julio kicked our butts one night. LOL The resort was being worked on but it didn't bother us. The people on the island was very nice and they did try to sell you stuff, but when you said no that was the end of that. We went to Carlos n Charles in town and the band was great (rock) and the drinks 2 for one. We plan on visiting other secrets in the future but not back here. We did this island and its time to move on. From Eastern Kentucky Go Blue. Let me add the BEDS are amazing...Slept great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear KENTUCKY98,

We are happy to have been able to host you and meet your expectations. It was particularly encouraging to learn that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, Secrets Spa and pleasant staff. Our property takes great pride in providing a good service, and are confident in the fact that this is what makes Secrets Resorts stand out from the myriad of other all-inclusive properties.

Montgomery, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I escaped for a long weekend and chose Secrets because of the "all adult" resort status. When we arrived, we were met with an enthusiastic and friendly staff (although did receive a wake up call one morning to "help" us spend our resort credit-which we never did). We were there too early for check in but they allowed us into the resort for lunch and we understood that we were already considered guests. We paid extra for an ocean view room and when we were able to get into our room we discovered if you went out on to the balcony and leaned way over you could see a little corner of the ocean past the neighbor's patio which stuck out in front. We asked about the ocean view (the website showed pictures of the balcony opening up to the sand) and he said they don't have rooms like that on this resort.

The rest of the trip was about the same. The service was extremely slow but once you got your food it was wonderful. They did not have all restaurants open every night so you had to pay attention during the day to make sure you knew which would be closed.

The beach was amazing and we never had trouble finding chairs or towels. The waitstaff on the beach was also perfect and would bring drinks and food/snacks whenever you wanted it. The sister resort had families that were allowed to bring children to Secrets beach so if you truly want an adults only resort, you may rethink your choice if coming here.

The resort had recently been under renovations and we were woken up at 1am the morning before we left with it raining from our bathroom ceiling.

Our time on the beach made this a perfect getaway but everything else about the resort was just average.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the ocean view room unless you don't care about seeing the ocean. The r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cathy W,

We are disappointed to learn that your recent visit at Secrets Aura Cozumel fell below your expectations. We regret not being able to hear from you prior to your departure as we would have liked the opportunity to make the necessary changes to suit your needs. It is hoped that you will afford us another chance to serve you as we feel certain that you did not experience our usual standards. Please feel free in the near future to inform us of how we can make your vacation experience a resounding success.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Denison, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just got back from a 11 day vacation we started out in one room which was a little loud from the workers and they moved us to another room in the perferred club building this was a upgrade but they did not charge us for the upgrade. Room was great the staff was very helpfull and Juanita kept our room spotless. Sandy at the front desk help with our check out with not a problem. Would I go back YES this is our second time back to this resort it was under a different owner then the improments were well noted. They did spray for the bugs every night but we still were attacked by them at Oceana the staff did get us bug spray. The entertainment at night was great but if you are going for all night party this is not the place which was great for us. My husband always went diving each day and I would go snokeling great beach. You have to rent a car just to go to the other side of the island great place to take picture of the waves. The only compaint I have is sometimes you would get this sewer smell on the beach. But I will be coming back for the fishing in April.

Room Tip: Perferred club side quieter and larger corner suites are great go for the swim up rooms
Dear MaddieC134,

We are grateful for your positive review which you have shared with other prospective guests. It was a pleasure to be your hosts on your second visit to the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in April. We believe that our rooms, beach and warm staff offers the very best value for money. We encourage you can feel free to drop us a line regarding any special needs you may have after doing your booking.

We await your return visit to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!