“Our Fifth Secrets Resort - March 9 to March 16” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Aura Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Secrets Aura Cozumel to your Saves list
Secrets Aura Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur | Zona Hotelera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Aura Cozumel Grand Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #27 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Coastal Ct
“Our Fifth Secrets Resort - March 9 to March 16”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

One of the best decisions we made for this trip was flying into Cozumel instead of the longer route through Cancun and Playa del Carmen, even though it required us to connect in Charlotte. Our flight was just about 100% full on USAir out of Hartford. USAir charges $25 for the first bag going to the Caribbean and serves nothing but a drink on their flights unless you purchase a snack.
The flight going down was uneventful and on time. Our experience upon landing was that it took at least 30 minutes to get our luggage because several planes landed close together and there was only one crew to unload the baggage. One of our party of four went outside after clearing immigration to arrange a taxi to the resort for $49 for four of us.
Our check-in went well and one of our rooms was ready even though we arrived fairly early at about noon. After leaving our luggage with the bell staff we went to Windows for lunch. Our first meal was good with the exception of most of the food being either warm or cold instead of hot. That being said, this improved greatly during our week long stay. The view overlooking the ocean couldn't have been better.
When we were taken to our ocean front rooms in the preferred building we loved them. The few things we thought needed improvement were the bathroom lighting, an ironing board to go with the iron and a TV in the separate sitting area. The balcony originally had two very uncomfortable wooded chairs with a small table. It just took a request to have the chairs replaced with two more comfortable lounge chairs. The WIFI was OK in our room but a better signal was available on our balcony. We had the turn down service each evening and our mini bar was replenished daily.
While breakfast was available at Windows and Bordeaux each morning we opted to go to the buffet at Sabor several times because the egg dishes were prepared as you waited and came out hot which wasn't always the case at Secrets. Our favorite places for dinner were definitely Ocean and Bordeaux, both of which we went to twice. Oceana had had a pretty good Osso Bucco one night and the beef dishes at Bordeaux were particularly good. Of course I couldn't pass up the Escargot appetizer. The first night it was served with little or no garlic but was much better the second night after requesting additional garlic. Bordeaux had outside seating available for breakfast but unfortunately not for dinner. Many people commented that they would like to see the outside seating available for dinner as well.
The pools at Aura are very nice though they tend to be on the cool side. There definitely needs to be more lounges available around the pools. The saving of chairs seemed to be worse than we usually see. We saw people save four chairs at the pool then go to the beach for the day and only return to the pool late in the afternoon, tying up those chairs for hours.
Being on the small side for a Secrets I'm not sure they'll ever have the area or staff for extensive entertainment but improvement is needed in this area. The best evening event was the beach party with a dinner buffet. There was music with a live singer as well. It was well attended and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
Another area that needs improvement is the fact that there is no bar or area where people can gather that is either inside or under cover, with the exception of the preferred lounge. This was particularly noticeable the one night it rained during our stay.
The entire staff went out of their way to try and make our stay a great experience.
We were able to meet with Justine the E-Concierge, Daniel the front desk manager and Marco the General Manager during our stay. They along with others also held a managers reception that will hopefully get better attendance with more guests being made aware of it. Justine and Daniel along with Marco were particularly helpful in making arrangements for our 43rd Anniversary celebration.
Our general impression was that the resort made daily improvements in response to guests comments and feedback. We look forward to returning in the future to see how all the improvements turn out and see all our new friends at Aura. We met some great people during our stay and even managed a farewell dinner at Bordeaux with them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear HarryRCT,

We appreciate your kind words about the general service and that you found our team to be helpful and friendly.We are sure they will be greatly encouraged by your positive feedback. Thank you for drawing our attention to the issues you encountered during your stay as this information will help us to identify those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking. We have shared your review with our General Manager and relevant department heads so that we can exercise better control.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

918 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful visit. I found the renovations to be coming along nicely. No major changes, but nice touches everywhere. We stayed in a rooftop solarium in the preferred section. I love the rooftop pool. We used it every day. The preferred section now includes snacks and nips in your room and a nightly phone call from the conceirge to see if you needed anything.

The resort is more crowded than in the past, but we didn't find it overwhelming. Sometimes there was a wait to have lunch at Oceana. No issues, we just had a cocktail while we waited. It did appear that maybe more beach chairs were needed, but I always managed to find one when I wanted one.

I did prefer the menus of past years, but my husband liked this year better. He was a huge fan of the shrimp wontons and the waiters were great about bringing extras to our table. Portions are small, but they were extremely accomodating to all requests.

We rented a jeep from Isis Rentadora. Once again, no issues. Super easy to deal with.

Carlos the preferred club concierge was super helpful in assisting me in getting my delayed luggage from the airport. A very charming gentleman to deal with.

They have also added a preferred club lounge. When I needed to get out of the sun I would bring my book and curl with on one of the comfy couches and have a cocktail. It was nice to have a quiet area to sit.

I had hoped to book next years vacation directly at the resort when I was there. I thought that maybe by booking direct and a year in advance that we could get a better deal. (or even match what I paid this year) They didn't seem to be able to do reservations like this. I was given e-mail addresses of people to contact when I get home.

We didn't encounter any time share salesman, however our friends chatted with them briefly (not really realizing what they were doing at first) No pressure was given.

The Sky bar now has different entertainment every night. We went up once for the casino night. It seemed like fun, but we were too tired to join in. We tended to dine later in the night and just never seemed to get there again.

I didn't use the gym, but I was told that the original Aura gym is closed and you needed to go to they gym at Sabor.

The new court yard has a small minimart with all the basics, a coffee shop and a jewelry store. I found the jewelry store nicer that the ones downtown and bought myself a necklace, earrings and a bracelet for a fair price. Guadalupe also helped me with a piece of jewelry I purchased last year elsewhere in town. She was a joy to deal with.

The bellhop was great in helping me weigh my luggage before returning the airport....and was a wiling receipant to my heavy castaways. I am sure they get stored in case other guests need them.

Can't wait to go back!

Dear rinkrat,

We are very glad that your third stay at Secrets Aura Cozumel was as enjoyable as your previous visits under the resorts previous management. It is very pleasing to read wonderful comments especially from repeat guests like yourself. We are also delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations and surrounding facilities throughout the resort. We will be sure to pass your comments on to our staff; they will be thrilled to know they made you feel like you were at home.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel on your fourth visit, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

One word: EXCELLENT!!

Dates of travel: February 14-21, 2013

We are frequent travelers to the Sandals Resorts in Jamaica [Negril x2, White House x2 and Royal Caribbean x1]. We love the pool, dining, diving and relaxing pretty much in that order.

When I saw Secrets had bought a new resort in Cozumel we quickly booked the trip. Then we started seeing all the bad and questionable reviews; which frankly made us nervous. If you are looking for a $10,000/week resort, this isn’t that kind of destination … yet.
If you are a couple interested in a fun place to meet people, relax and enjoy yourself without a stuffy environment, this is your resort. You need to remember this is a Caribbean destination and the locals do things at their pace.

All the meals at Aura were outstanding. The complaints on small portions and no buffets are from people who typically belly up to the Golden Coral Buffet and pile their plates as high as they’ll go. If you want seconds of anything, all you have to do is ask and the incredible wait staff will get it for you.

The rooms were all being flipped while we were there, with new paint, furniture and fixtures. This caused a problem in people not getting the rooms they booked [someone forgot to tell the booking agents that X number of rooms were being taken off the block each week]. The resort staff made up for this by refunding the difference in our room and honoring reasonable requests. If this happens to you and you feel you were poorly handled, Secrets has a corporate staff member at the hotel who was working with the old staff and happily made accommodations for us.

Drinks were cold and top-shelf. Even though this is an all-inclusive, I tipped the main bartender and pool boy both $20 the first day we got there and we always were well taken care of.
Room service is was great. If you called during mealtime, they had a 15-30 minute delay, which is what it would be at any other resort in the States. If it was off peak they averaged 10 minutes.

Be sure to read everyone else’s comments about the staff members, meals and things to do.

If you're a diver, the reef system is incredible. Yes the beach is on a reef and rocky off shore - God made it that way, it's not the resorts fault. Simply stop by Target and pick up some cheap surf shoes to wear.

We’re looking forward to returning next February!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in a swim-up suite request rooms 1104-1124.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EEFus,

It is very gratifying for us to know that we could meet your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Your positive impressions and your compliments regarding the rooms, the facilities and the services of our staff are extremely valuable to us and they motivate us to continue improving our services and to create lifetime memories for returning and prospective guests.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was an amazing trip for my huband and I...I was very concerned about some of the reviews but found most to be not true or not as bad as everyone had said! The place is beautiful...The landscaping is awesome....The people there are working very hard to make this resort amazing..I do have to say nothing happen that was like anyone with the bad reviews said...The place is very busy at breakfast I was at the buffet on Sabor side every morning we had friends on that side...I will not comment on how they felt their stay....only about my stay....I loved our room it was a junior swim up all remodeled we were in the back very peaceful at night..... ...housekeeping was good the first few days we were there room cleaned while we were gone to breakfast and turn down was done before we got back at night...but our last 4 days there wasnt to good..they showed up after 4pm when we had been out all day and was showing for dinner...then showed up at 10 to 11pm and asked if we wanted turn down service we said no it was to late we were already in our room they kept putting beer in our frig even tho we never touched it and not leaving much soda which we were drinking.....Our door also was closed one time we came back right at 4pm knew hosekeeping just left as the floors were still wet from mopping them..Glad we had everything loccked in out safe but still...That is my biggest complaint..... The food was hit and miss... Some items were just things I didnt like...Service most of the time was fine sometimes could be very slow but it was busy! Not a big deal if I got up to get my own drink....Room service was amazing...food was good fresh and hot and got there in less than 30mins...We ordered it like 4 times all good...The beach was so pretty...I got amazing pics of everything all over the island as we had a rental car....I would say everyone should visit the other side if possible....We did a lot of excursions...Swimming with StingRays,manatees,horseback riding,jet skies,sailing,snorkling,sea trek helmet dive,and my husband scuba dived...he is certifide....They had catamarans at the resort for free we did that 3 times it was so cool..... I never had a problem getting a chair to lay out on the beach or by the pool...Everyone seem very curtious about not hogging the chairs..There was plenty of fresh clean towels...I loved you didnt have to check them out like Sabor side..No bands is great...The hot tub by the main pool was nice but once it was so dirty we couldnt get in it...Not resorts faults people before us was really gross sorry to use that word but they emptyed it and it was good to go the next day....I did spend alot of time on the Sabor side like I said friends were there...They were working hard fixing rooms and other things didnt bother me ....I had a great time there! I would go back...I love the island of Cozumel.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, eConcierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Stefanie G,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed, however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel. I have passed your review to to relevant department heads so that we can improve the overall service offered in housekeeping and the restaurants.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve in the near future.

Kind regards,

Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are picky. We went with a group of 14 this past week. All I can say, is if you go with an open mind and realize this is Mexico, you will be fine. The place is working very hard to please its guests. I have stayed at most of the hotels on the island and have been to Cozumel 20+ times. I was worried upon reading the reviews ahead of time, don't be. If you are looking for perfection, then forget Cozumel, and I am a perfectionist, so you have to work with where you are at. End of day, the staff will do whatever they can to make you happy. Also, food/drink is great, and you can drink and eat all you want, order as much food/drink you want. The beach is the best on the island. Cozumel is not the mainland (Cancun/Akumal/Playa), so they don't have white sand smooth beaches anywhere on the west coast where the hotels are. So this beach is a bonus, and yes you need water shoes. If you walk up the beach either direction, you will see how fortunate you are at this resort.

Room Tip: Room service is the best. Order 24 hrs. They deliver in 10 - 15 min, and the food is better, hotte...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jeff F,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product. We are all pleased and honored to receive comments like yours. It is very gratifying for us to know that we could meet your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay here with us in Cozumel.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience in the near future.

Kind regards,

Amherstburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We travelled from March 9 - 16 and it's taken me a while to write my review because I wasn't sure how to do it. It was going to be really wordy but then I figured I'll just write as short a review as I can and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them just send me a message. We did lots of research before booking and were really excited about Aura until we found out about the changes and read recent reviews before our trip. We ended up having a great vacation at a fantastic resort that needs some small fixes.

Check in: was a bit confusing and it wasn't busy when we arrived. I guess I'm used to standing in line at a counter and checking in but here you sit in chairs and I wasn't sure who was next and I don't think the staff knew either. This was the worst part of our vacation (check in and waiting for our room). We got mixed messages about our room being ready, first it was then it wasn't so we waited a few hours.

Room: we had requested ocean view and were given what I call "palm tree" view. Open the curtain and there are the palm trees (literally in your face). I could see the ocean if I crouched really low and went to the right on our balcony. Anyway the rest of the room was great! Clean and large!! We were given an opportunity to change rooms and ended up in the perferred club in a spectacular room! It was amazing (1420). Great service from cleaning to turndown service!

Food: breakfast and lunch were good. We ate at the buffet next door a few times for breakfast beacuse there was just more of a variety and of course it was faster. When we ate breakfast on our resort we ate at Oceana (good chilaquilles) not sure how to spell it. My husband and I love authentic Mexican food and unfortunately this was hard to come by on the resort (strange but true). Dinner was difficult for me because they offered lots of seafood and I'm not a big fan of fish. They had chicken options but I eat chicken all the time at home and wanted something different. Sometimes I would order 2 appetizers and dessert. I made due. My husband enjoyed most of the food but said some of it tasted as though it had been frozen. We did not enjoy Bourdeax at all! We didn't eat at Windows although I heard good things. We never waited long for food. Menu seemed to be the same every day (options would've been great). My husband loved the beach dinner. It was his favourite meal. My favourite was off the resort in town when we went shopping (really good Mexican food).

Entertainment: lacking but I think they try. We went to Sky bar every night to see what was going on but there was always a small crowd. I think the lack of seating in an area like that makes it difficult for people to socialize. Bar stools would have been great. Other resorts usually have seating where people can hang out and be social.

Staff: hard working!!!!!! They aim to please!

Pools: cold but nice to look at and sit around during the day. Couldn't get in to the pool because it was cold. We didn't go to the pool with the slides so I can't comment on that one. I preferred the view at the main pool.

Beach/ocean: nice, clean, many loungers, comfortable. Yes you need water shoes to enter from the beach or you can jump off the dock. Don't forget it's a snorkelers/divers island.

Drinks: not bad (I didn't like the bar lime they used). My husband always found something. You really don't need your own oversized mug. The glasses are a nice normal size. Order 2 if your that thirsty.

This was our third time to Cozumel (we love it) and this was by far the nicest resort we've been to. Great service on the beach and pool (yes it took awhile but we had time to wait), beautiful view and room (after we moved), and we met lots of nice people. We came home relaxed and tanned and wanting to return.

Thank you to Justine for finding me the view I had wanted when we booked the resort!!!!
We will return to Cozumel and Secrets Aura.

Oh I almost forgot about the spa! Very nice! We loved it!

Room Tip: Loved our corner room in the perferred club (1420). Great views from there. Others seemed to really...
Dear newflyer00,

We appreciate your feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking. We are committed to listening to our guests as we did and made sure that you got the view of your choice so that you could enjoy your vacation with us. We constantly try to improve our services so that in the future we can ensure total guest satisfaction. We will share your review with the relevant department heads so that we can exercise better control regarding check in and activities.

East Moline
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying in this location for 10 years from Reef Club to Wyndham to Sabor to Secrets-different owners. We stayed in Islander Suites, formerly Sabor, now Secrets. Unknown to us prior to arrival, we received access to every restaurant with excellent food, great towel service, an excellent guitarist 2 evenings and many other amenities. Staff is friendly and efficient. Just say no to the time share talk and everything is great!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 27thave,

The best reward that we can have is your compliments.We are very delighted to know that you had an enjoyable experience and that our staff members have provided you with an excellent service.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!