“10 days was not enough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Aura Cozumel

You added Secrets Aura Cozumel to your Saves list
Secrets Aura Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur | Zona Hotelera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Aura Cozumel Grand Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Willmar, Minnesota
“10 days was not enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was our first time to Cozumel, but we have stayed at multiple other 4 star resorts on this side of Mexico, every year, in the past 8 years. This has been the our favorite place so far. I researched many reviews from different sights before we booked at the Secrets Aura location. I will admit that I was a little leery with some negative reviews, but I saw much more positive. Some negative reviews are so petty that I throw those out. I try to use the common sense approach by use of stars and reviews compared with the cost. Perfection comes with cost. Now after our stay, I would have to say that I was very pleased with our choice and would go back to Secrets Aura in a heartbeat. This place surpassed my expectations and was nearly perfect in my opinion.
This is an adults only resort which makes it a quiet, relaxing resort, full of mature, nice, respectful people. Though you always have those few annoying people that should have stayed at the Fiesta Americana or rented their own beach house. This resort was smaller by size with a small lobby, but they utilize it very well. The lobby staff was very helpful and very inviting. Our room was by the back pool area and was quiet, clean, and very comfortable. Nothing on the Aura side is more than a 3 minute walk away, whether it be the beach or any of the restaurants. Also, you do have access to all restaurants (not as good) and bars at the Sunscape resort next door, which is also only 4-5 minutes away. Room service came twice daily, the second time to mainly do fridge restocking or if you requested any touch ups, they would do those. Don't expect buffets of any sort, all meals are sit down and order style, which I feel is a higher standard of quality and keeps your food fresh. The food at the two main restaurants was excellent and very professionally prepaired. The portions were not large, but you can order as much as you want, or if you don't like something, order something else. The only thing that I felt could have been better was the occasional longer length of wait time for your food. Then again, being on vacation, I didn't let that affect me, but some people don't like to wait. Many mornings we would get room service for breakfast, everything was always very good. Many days for lunch they would set up a grill on the beach and grill special meats such as ribs, fish, kabobs, or different burgers. Excellent idea. Each day was something different. The alcohol service was very good with higher end alcohol and as strong as you request. The beach and pools were very clean, quiet, and never seemed too crowded. There was decent snorkeling right in front of the resort area and even better not far away by excursion. There are also plenty of options for whatever type of activity you like to do off of the resort grounds that can be booked in the lobby with all water activities picking you up right at the dock.
In all, this was a very nice resort that is going through some changes that will make it even nicer. Of course, they will change the price as all of the changes and growing pains get worked out. All of the staff was very nice and respectful. They do aim to please. I would recommend this resort to anyone that I know and we will definitely be back to Secrets Aura.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am at this hotel right now and I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We paid for ocean view, got a pool view where the noise from the music was drowned out by the noise from the drunks. Front desk staff are rude and not helpful. Asked to be moved three times but was told No. Restaurants are good and staff nice. We get to the beach very early to enjoy the quiet but just got invaded by someone with very loud music. This place is a rip off and a total joke. Can't wait to get out of here. I am not usually a complainer but this place is horrible. Go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you pay for and hopefully the bathroom is black mould free
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our second trip to the Aura, the first being two years ago under the Wyndham brand.

The person who reviewd as "transition" is right...its only been under Secrets management for 6 weeks now. It is not nearly as good quality as other Secrets properties....but at the moment it is still a tremendous value for the price. Secrets did not immediately raise the rates based on the brand, but I am sure will do so gradually as they improve the experience to their standards.

They are changing things FAST - menus, service rules/instructions, etc. - and it shows. There are glimmers of absolutely great service, and the people at the hotel are fabulous. The food presentation and taste is really good, remembering that you're paying a "Barcelo" price for a much nicer no-buffet, no-children experience in a small resort setting.

I'd suggest being patient with the changes and getting great value in the mean time - we will absolutely return. I took the time to speak with some of the new Secrets management (thank you for spending the time with me Jose)...and spoke with some of our favorite servers (still there from 2 years prior)...and both sides told the same story...the place will continuously improve, from what is already really good value for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Posting under Aura Cozumel Grand but this property is SECRETS AURA COZUMEL (Not sure why the name of this property has not been updated yet, it became Secrets on 12/15/12.)

Background:
Booked through All Inclusive Outlet. We stayed 1/19 thru 1/26 2013. Room 1125 (ocean view suite). We were aware at time of booking that the property was changing from previous management to the Secrets name. We watched the reviews and forums daily as they went through transition.

This was our 2nd trip to Cozumel, and 7th trip to Mexico overall. We have stayed at Palace resorts, as well as Dreams resorts, this was our first time to a Secrets, also our first time to adults only.

They are still working to finish the courtyard area between building 12 and the back area (jr suites/old sabor exclusive area.) Looks like there will be a couple more shops and a fountain, along with the activities board. Coco café was open, the signature shop pulled in more merchandise each day. The only construction I saw other than this area was on a slab of concrete where I assume a beach bar may have been located prior, they were installing new trim around bottom, not sure intent of this area yet, right in front of Oceana.

I write long reviews, so here is summary w/ positive/negative list at top. Find more details below.

SUMMARY:
While we had a nice vacation, we were somewhat disappointed by the overall experience. A rocky first 3 days set a negative tone and I found it hard not to be critical in many areas. I just couldn’t quite get into that “relax/vacation” mode and this is the first time that ever happened for me.

As mentioned, we haven’t stayed at Secrets but did expect service to be at least up to snuff with Dreams, a sister resort chain. We found it still lacking. The staff at Secrets seemed more stressed and not as comfortable with where they are yet. (Sabor side seemed much more comfortable and had good, consistent service.)
I know they are still young in transition and for Secrets veterans I would recommend waiting at least 6 months, if not a year before trying this property. I’m sure they will get there, but I was too hopeful in thinking just one month after rebranding that they’d be closer. I agree that they do not have enough wait staff for the volume in restaurants now that they incorporated the additional rooms from Sabor exclusive section. Likewise, I think the beach and pools are more crowded because of this.

If this is your first all inclusive experience, you will probably love it. If it is not and you’ve tried other Secrets before, I think you will be disappointed unless you go in expecting some transition and growing pains. I went in expecting it, but still wound up disappointed.

POSITIVES:
- The beach was walk-able (even if sand was more course than I prefer. That said, to soften my feet, I walked barefoot, carefully a ways, but for a workout I wore tennis shoes)
- The awesome views from Oceana and Windows !! It is as ocean front dining as you can get – loved it.
- Loved all the palm trees that shaded the quiet pool and beach areas.
- Enjoyed the service at Boredaux/French restaurant and also the El Patio on Sabor side (which is another plus, having dining options at the Sabor, even if a step down in food quality, the service we found was likely better and more consistent over there.)
- Wonderful pier access for diving / snorkeling trips.
- The quiet pool (just off lobby) which had the water flowing down creating fountain sounds…very relaxing even if right off the lobby near Windows and the main flow of traffic.
- The Air Conditioning! You would not believe how cool it felt in our room and how it actually wasn’t as humid in the room as normal. This was by far the best A/C we’ve had at any of our resorts. We kept on 22C for the most part, which is fairly cool. (The beds sleep hot though)

NEGATIVES:
- Inconsistent service in restaurants. A disastrous first night meal at Oceana, it took forever and had to repeatedly ask for water, wine refill, bread, courses took forever to serve, room temperature crab cake and other food not hot, other tables served ahead of us. Having to ask for water 4 times and waiting 20 minutes for it in Windows at breakfast the 2nd morning, but then the rest of the mornings didn’t have to wait or ask repeatedly. Noticing at lunch different tables got their food before ours for no apparent reason.
- The noise! Hearing the food service and utility carts being wheeled down the hallways late at night and early morning. It was very disruptive. Avoid room numbers starting with 11.
- We missed being closer to town. Cab rides $15 each way to Centro
- Our specific room was ocean view, but on 2nd floor, couldn’t see past palm trees. Which palms are great, but I really missed a true ocean view. These rooms should be listed as “Partial ocean view”.
- There is a nasty smell as you enter the Rendevous bar heading into Windows restaurant. They really need to fix this. (Sabor side has many areas that smell like sewage as you walk through the property) I did not notice any other odors walking through the other Secrets areas.

GENERAL COMMENTS:

Favorite waiters/bartender:
Angel and Francisco at Windows for Breakfast/Lunch
Damian at El Patio (sabor side)
Manuel at Bordeaux
Franklin who tended bar at Skybar and Rendevous

ROOM:
We had room 1125. Building 11, floor 2, room 5. We were 5 rooms down/north from lobby area if that gives you a sense. Buildings are numbered like this, as if facing resort from beach. 14, 12, 11, lobby, 10. The 3rd digit represents your floor and last your room counted out from lobby zone.

Do what you can to request building 12 or 14…I think you’d hear less of the food service carts rolling by. They were very noisy even on the 2nd floor.

They first offered us a room on first floor in building 10, but it was only 2 doors down from the lobby, we thought it would be loud. Then they showed us a 2nd floor room, which we took thinking it would be quieter. Well, I think our room was just as loud due to the service entrance one floor below us.

We booked ocean view suite in old Aura, and we got a suite but view was obstructed by palms on floor 2. If you can swing more cash, go to the 3rd floor for better view. I think they need to reclassify some of their rooms as partial ocean view for a more proper description.

Housekeeping was fine, noticed we got little mats for beside the bed midweek, also a coffee pot randomly showed up (there wasn’t one when we checked in) midweek also. We had “turn down” service if you count the 1 time they came to clean in the afternoon and turned the bed down at that time. We had a few towel animals (not important to us) I think perhaps 4 times during the week we had someone come during normal turn down time and provide fresh towels and I’d say half the nights we got the sundial news.

Stains – yes our furniture had stains. The lamp had rust spots, there was some wear on the cabinets and rust on metal fixtures. Nothing that really bothered us much, but certainly if you are expecting high class you won’t find it. But you will find a large room, with plenty of room to spread suitcases, but leave your stuff in, very little drawer space, cubbies in closet near safe come in handy too.

Bathroom – worked great, glad the tub wasn’t in the middle of the room. Shower pressure was great, although straight down from ceiling set up not my thing. Only a few times did the hot water fade a bit, but came back after a short minute or two. Lighting around sink sort of dim and soft, used the hall mirror across from fridge area to do makeup and hair.

BEACH/POOL: Great because one of few areas on this side of island that you can walk up and down for quite a ways. Palms for shade and umbrellas by the pools. We primarily used the small quiet pool just off the lobby as the waterfall was so relaxing, but we could still see the ocean. Beach loungers are quite comfortable most in great shape. (FYI…sabor side chairs looked awful!)

DINING:
As mentioned, the inconsistent service was quite bothersome, but most of our food was pretty good, although some temperature issues at time of serving, but that has happened on our many stays at AI’s.

Breakfast: I did miss the full buffet, but here they do offer fruits, cereals, yogurt, juices, meat/cheese trays and mimosa each morning on simple buffet if you don’t have time to order off menu. You can get hot oatmeal pretty fast (except it took a long time our last day – another example of inconsistency). I enjoyed the Mexican entrees (chilaquiles and something that starts with an “m” ??) and the French toast was good, even if not quite “toasted” enough. The later you come the longer the meal takes. We tried to get down there by 730 for better service.
They will seat at Windows or Oceana if it gets too full.

Lunch:
Nothing exciting. No real “grill” for a quick burger w/ fries…they have barefoot grill at oceana, but it still takes a long time to get your food. The BBQ sandwich was good, and grilled fish. Chips and guac decent. Ice cream available. Windows had better service, but the lunch service at both places was not that good in my opinion. Lunch is where we often saw food coming out in random order related to when folks were seated and ordered. Both spots.
Oh…the chef salad at Windows was really good one day. Then, 2 days later I ordered and it was absolutely gross and wilty and swimming in dressing. The first one had no dressing at all and was crisp and fresh. Again – why the inconsistency??
FYI…Coco Café has little café style sandwiches….just go over there and ask for several to go and take it to your chair…very fast and you are back in the sunshine in no time flat.

Dinner:
We liked the French “Bordeaux” the best. We ate here 2 times. Most consistent service, we enjoyed all our courses there. Had the entricot beef (large cut of meat) and can’t recall the sides/soups that were always good. The salmon/shrimp was great, and they prepared without mushrooms at my request. The duck was very good.
The desserts – a must! Try the chocolate mousse and the “la boba” if you love chocolate – you won’t be disappointed. And, if you want only dessert, just stop at hostess stand, ask to order dessert and you can enjoy on the tables out front.

Oceana – not sure if this improved but our first night there was so bad we never went back for dinner. Waiter asked if ready to order, we replied yes, waiter said OK, then walked away. They also served some kind of nasty wine but all other nights in other restaurants the house wine from Spain both red and white was fine (although left bitter aftertaste, it was good with the meals)

Windows – only had a late dinner here one night, seemed good enough, variety of food.

Sabor side:
--El Patio – you must try this. Great service from Damian. Interesting Mayan or Mexican choices. Try the cheese dish appetizer, something like “molecallete” (?), served in a large bowl…yum. Chicken mole was good enough for me.
--Portofina – Italian, also serves as location for breakfast and lunch buffet until their new buffet is completed. At night it turns Italian ala carte but arrive early. This is the nice restaurant on Sabor side so all their guests and Secrets can use. Eat in the open air area, the dining room is VERY noisy – they need to put up sound panels or something. Food was pretty good, I enjoyed the manicotti.
--Da Mario/tratoria (spelling??) Downstairs from Portofino – decent enough pizza for lunch but you may not get what it shows on the menu as toppings. We had hotdogs on one of our pizzas (not listed as a topping) and I ordered one with veggies and prosciutto as listed but the meat was not on it. It was good though and service was good.
Don’t bother with Caribbean buffet/beach night for food…maybe for the entertainment but not food. Not enough seating.

General – most places have rolls, just ask, I ate plenty! There is a business center…mostly people use the free wifi on their phone/devices, but it is nice when you need full screen. Just know you may have to ask for help with the keyboard commands like “@” sign!

DRINKS: Try margarita with hornitos (seemed to be the best option) and the blue Cozumel was good too. The house red/white wine is from Spain and I found it okay, but as mentioned had an after-taste that was apparent even next morning, but no headaches. (Make sure in Oceana they don’t serve you the other junk, it should be the Spanish not something else with green label)

Activities on site: We didn’t do much. I did the yoga 2 times that week (professionals are contracted to do the class, at least the week I was there.) and did bocce ball once for some interaction. The pool in the backside (former sabor exclusive area) is the activity pool, bingo, tequila tasting, etc goes on back there and it was just too active for my tastes this time.

We did book the 2 reef / 2 hour snorkel thru Dive Palancar on site. Very professional and convenient, good guides and great boat. Highly recommend this!!!

Husband dove through Aldora and they picked up right on the pier.

Hopefully you find this helpful as you decide when and if you will be going to Secrets Aura Cozumel.

White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Aura Secrets is definitely not a luxury hotel. The hotel is more like a 3 star hotel.
During our stay, there was a lot of construction under way throughout the hotel. Although, our room was in great condition nearly every time we walked through reception there were fellow guests complaining about rooms, service, damage to property, etc. – there were plumbing leaks in some rooms.

We booked a room in the back of the hotel with a pool view, which was a nice secluded and festive area. However, it was about a five-minute walk to the restaurants on the beach. Our room was well maintained and clean. The refrigerator was stocked daily with juice, soda and beer.

Food was just satisfactory at the Aura. The French restaurant, in my opinion, was the best place to dine for dinner. Breakfast was so-so at the ocean front restaurant. Since we had access to the Sabor Hotel, we determined they prepared a better omelet. However, their omelet station lines were long. With the exception of breakfast, I would not recommend eating at any of the other property restaurants. The Italian restaurant was a joke and assaulted my taste buds.

The service on the beach and poolside was good with drinks and food. The hotel has a partnership with a dive shop on premise. I would only recommend them for resort diving classes and specific dive sites. If you would like to complete your open water certification, I would look for another dive shop. Most dive companies will pick you up on the dock, which is located directly in front of the hotel.

If you decide to stay, you should check out the Sky Bar for evening cocktails and to watch the sunset. There are also two Jacuzzi’s by the bar.

We also rented a Jeep at the hotel which was reasonably priced. This allowed us to take a day trip around the island at our pace.

My only pain point was the staff always had their hands out for tips. I have stayed at plenty of all-inclusive hotels, which had a better system for gratuity. The whole point of all-inclusive, from my perspective, is to walk around the facility with only a hotel key card.

Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was our 6th trip to Mexico and somewhat of a flop. Trip was Ok but probably wouldn't stay here again. Definitely not a 5 star resort but rooms comfortable and clean. The food was good and servers friendly but found the 1.5 hr wait for breakfast and lunch very frustrating. Decided to try room service which was faster and food was decent but orders occassionally messed up. A delivery with no silverware or empty coffee thermos made us laugh and they fixed it right away. A bit disappointed with the front desk staff. Nice, but more often than not they gave lip service and didn't follow through with requests for housekeeping (our room was missed a few times) along with beverage service. Sunsets beautiful and nice to get out of the MN winter but would definitely book a diiferent resort next time.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Aura the week of Jan. 19th. We loved it!! Staff was friendly and helpful. It was heavenly!! We got a room with our own water slide and pool area for $100 more. Food was good, liked the drinks too. Pool was great with the floats...beach was pretty but the waters were rocky. Beautiful skies. We rented a scooter and drove to the south side of the island. Lovely beaches. Will go back and stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!