“Wonderful experience in a gorgeous setting.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Ventanas al Mar to your Saves list
Expedia.com Hotels.com
Ventanas al Mar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Costera Oriente Km. 43.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
Hartford, Connecticut
“Wonderful experience in a gorgeous setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I must say I was a little leery when I booked this hotel. After arriving in Cozumel and driving across the island to Ventanas I was pleasantly surprised. I had booked the hotel after seeing it on trip advisor. I wanted something a bit out of the ordinary, not the textbook All inclusive. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The bed was hard but very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small and we did have a problem with the shower not draining, but the issues were minor. You have to realize that you are in a place running on solar power and a generator. There is no air-conditioning but of the three nights we stayed only one was a bit too warm and humid for a great night's sleep. The sound of the surf is so comforting and it's quiet so we had no issues sleeping. Make sure to step outside at night as well because the view of the stars from here is amazing. Seeing as there is no power on the eastern side of the island the view is not obstructed by articial light.

Coconuts is right next door. What a great time! The food is OK, nothing to write home about and the drinks are pricey but well worth a visit.

Mezcalito's is right down the road too but I would not recommend it for food.

A rental car is the way to go if staying here(I suggest ISIS). You have the freedom to visit the San Gervasio ruins and Punta Sur or go downtown everyday if you'd like. I also suggest bringing a cooler with water/drinks/beer and snacks for your stay. I requested a fridge in our room and it was there when we checked in.

Lastly, we did take advantage of the dinner service on our last night and wished(after the fact) that we had every night. The grouper with garlic sauce was out of this world! We would stay here again. For us 3 nights was enough. I think if we were with another couple it would be a bit more fun but if you are looking to get away from it all, look no further. Note, that there is no swimming at the hotel as the surf is WAY to rough. You can swim at the beach at Punta Sur and right down the road at Chen Rio(very crowded on Sundays).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're looking to unwind in a stress free environment this piece of solitude is for you. The staff treated us like royalty. We stayed seven nights and sometimes we felt as though we were the only guests at this private (total getaway) hotel.
We did have WiFi access the entire time. I kind of wish we hadn't because it was a distraction we didn't need. Breakfast and dinner meals were individually prepared. Healthy choices of fresh fruit and seafood abound. Like the reviews before me I hesitate to uncover this jewel because it's so small I might not get a reservation the next time I plan to go.
Warning: If you're looking for parties and loud music this is not the place for you. If you can't live without air conditioning for a few days this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Room 26 for the starry night sky, the suites are two story with spiral staircases
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at Cozumel for six wonderful nights. We checked in on the 25th of March and departed for the US on April 1. The view from the hotel is so beautiful. The beach to the left of the hotel is wonderful and the sound of the surf is very relaxing. The nights were cool and we enjoyed the bed, it was so comfortable. If you want to get away from the busy life ‘Ventanas al Mar’ is the place to go. It is such a quiet location and it was a nice change of pace from Carmen del Playa and Cancun. You will likely need to rent a vehicle because the hotel is roughly 20 kilometers away from town. With that said, it is a romantic place with beautiful views and the staff is excellent!!

Joel and Rosalba are the best managers we had ever met. They are warm and kind, keep the atmosphere relaxed, and the hotel runs so efficiently. The hotel recently started dinner service and the chef makes EXCELLENT food. We ordered wine with pasta, fish, meat and traditional Mexican dishes. It was all fantastic. The morning breakfast is great as well. Between the views, location, staff (especially Joel and Rosalba), accommodation, food and drink we give this hotel the highest recommendation.

Should you stay you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room you choose you will love. If you want to spend a little extra go for Suite 1 if it is avai...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

A wonderful hotel and great service from Joel, Rosalba and the entire staff. Ventanas al Mar is a very quiet, no frills, secluded place...... so if this is what you want it is the place for you! No WIFI but you don't need it here......you have the beach, sunrises, and the ocean! Meals are served for breakfast and dinner, be sure to have the red snapper it is delicious! My husband and I will certainly be back to enjoy this beautiful hideaway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I hesitate to review this little gem simply because I want to make sure a room is available! We have been traveling to the Yucatan since 1986 and hadn't visited the east side of CZM in several years. While browsing, I found Ventanas and we couldn't resist---even though booked on the west side for our month. We spent two fabulous nights under the fantastic care of Joel and Rosalba and the entire staff. They now have electricity(solar power). Plus, they also serve dinner now too---you order ahead of time. All the food is fantastic--breakfast and dinner. We enjoyed our CLEAN and beautiful, simple room. Leave your worries elsewhere and enjoy the little touches that make this hotel so special----the view during the day, the stars at night, your own little beach, sleeping to the sound of the ocean, the lovely furnishings and talavera, the entire experience is simply a treat. You will feel so relaxed and refreshed! We took a taxi since we knew we would not want to leave to visit the other beach bars---done that. As another reviewer said, Coconuts is next door to replenish your beer---take a little cooler and they will even give you ice. For dinner, you are able to order a bottle of wine when you place your food choices. I could go on and on, but will stop with my hope to visit again and we will always treasure our memories of this first stay! Abrazos Joel y Rosalba!!!!

Room Tip: The stairs are worth the climb for room higher up. The view is be beyond description!!! And, you h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Found this beautiful place by accident because having lunch at Coconuts was on my list of things to do in Cozumel! This hideaway is located on the beach right below the bar. I couldn't believe my eyes! Absolute beauty. Extremely secluded. What a perfect spot for a quiet holiday!!! No night life, but Coconuts is pretty wild and open until 7:00

• Stayed April 2013
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Let me start off by stating clearly: This hotel is not for everyone. It is not a 5 Star Luxury hotel with sumptuous suites, restaurants, swimming pool. If you are looking for excitement, glitz, and night-life, do not come here.

That being said, we did our homework well in advance. We found Ventantas in February 2012, while touring the island on scooters. The Eastern side of Cozumel is pretty much all beach with a few cantinas scattered here and there...and one hotel. As we approached the edifice on our scooter trip we wondered what it could be. We pulled over, took a little tour of the 14 room hotel, and decided then and there to make a stay at Ventanas part of our 2013 vacation.

The rooms all face the ocean, either by deck or patio. They are spacious and comfortable and clean. There are no frills, but who needed them? Breakfast - abundant with choices - is included in the daily rate; and if you elect to do so - and we would encourage everyone to do so - you may order your dinner early in the day, select a dining time for either in your room or on the deck, and it will be prepared for you and served at the selected time. And let me tell you, the food is excellent!! You may also order a bottle of wine to accompany your dinner, or you may request that Joel and Rosalba (the managers of this oasis) pick up a six-pack of beer on their daily run into town.

There are palapas on the beach right next door to the hotel; and while the surf is a tad bit rough, we were able to dive in and bob around on the waves without worry.

And in case you are lying on the beach and suddenly have a craving for a margarita or nachos or anything like that, you can take the short walk from the beach just past the hotel to the famous Coconuts Bar to satisfy yourself.

Joel and Rosalba are delightful hosts for this hideaway vacation spot. They bent over backward to accommodate us in every way. Their enthusiasm for their work is unbridled.

I do agree that it would be a great benefit to have Wi-Fi available, and that was a bit of a drawback for me, as I was told that I would have access - something I needed as an online graduate professor with a class in session. The Wi-Fi was not working, but Joel recognized my distress and, using his Blackberry as a modem, let me use his laptop to get messages out to my grad students and to a colleague. Once that was taken care of, I was truly able to enjoy this Retreat in Paradise.

And yes, we plan to return again next year.

Room Tip: They all open out to the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ventanas al Mar? Share your experiences!