“The second time was even better than the first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel

You added Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Rafael Melgar No. 45 | Entre Calles 5 y 7 sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #27 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
“The second time was even better than the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

A small hotel with lots of privacy, squeaky clean rooms, excellent water pressure, awesome and responsive staff, good ocean views and street level action. We had the pool to ourselves most days. There is no better place for people watching than the rooms with an ocean view balcony:) The continental breakfast was delivered timely and cheerfully. We enjoyed every last bite of those sweet rolls! We've stayed in Hotels all over the island since 1982 and decided this is our favorite. One tip: if you're diving or have a problem with stairs, request and confirm a lower level room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
Cozumel, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The Vista Del Mar Hotel is an ok hotel with a great location. Basically, it is like that old saying ," You get what you pay for." It is not an expensive hotel ;so, basically you get an older hotel which could use some updating. The positives: the staff was friendly and greets you daily; nice views, location is excellent, the room is big; and the hotel has security at night. The negatives: The hotel is old and could use some updates especially in the bathroom. The wall unit a/c does not cool the room very well and someone from the hotel often times turns the a/c off while you are gone during the day; thus, when you return to the room it is very hot (remember the a/c unit does not work well and it takes forever to cool the room down a little. Also, the rooms are not for tall people. The door in the bathroom is standard height, but the floor is raised for plumbing or drainage. Thus, the door frame height is less than 6" high and if you are tall you need to remember to "duck" your head. Unfortunately, on a few occasions I did not remember to "duck" and hit my head on the top of the door frame and it hurt. Also, the shower rod is too low as well. Another issue we had with the hotel is: the cleaning lady will not take your sheets and replace them with new ones unless you pull the sheets off the bed and place them in a bundle on the end of the bed. I heard other customers complain about this issue as well to the reception person. On the website, the hotel claims they bring your breakfast to your room at a time you give them. Well, half the time this service did not occur. We did not say anything and the breakfast was never brought to our room. The only person that brought our breakfast timely every time she worked was Linda. Another item to keep in mind, if you order the Ocean View room with a King bed it is a queen bed turned longways. Thus, if you are tall your feet are hanging way over the end of the bed. Plus, the cleaning crew could do a little better job about cleaning the floors. I walked around the room a few times with no shoes or sandals, and the bottom of my feet would end up black. Overall, I would disagree with many of the reviews of this hotel that give it 4-5 stars. The reviews were the reason I chose this hotel, but next visit I will stay at another hotel that is nearby. I am sorry, but I would not recommend this hotel without explaining the negatives first. Like I previously said," You get what you pay for."

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights while diving with a friend of ours.

Internet was spotty and when we asked about it they said to try later. Not a big deal though as lots of restaurants etc have free wifi.

Rooms are fine, older, but clean and maintained.

Ocean view rooms are noisy from all the cars etc. on the street. Couldn't keep balcony door open at night due to this.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

2 Friends and I stayed here for a week. I wasn't sure what to expect since this was the first time we hadn't stayed in a resort. We loved it. We spent the day at the beach clubs, since we're not divers, and then at night would come back to our room, clean up and we were in the perfect spot to go out shopping, and hang around the plaza.
Martin was a great host to us. He helped us with our reservations when we were just going to wing it, and gave us great places to go when we were looking for things to do.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesnt want to over pay to stay at a resort. If you're not expecting to be pampered, and you want to go out and enjoy Mexico, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights before heading over to the east side of the island. It was nice that the hotel is centrally located and in walking distance to the ferry pier and plaza as well as mega. The hotel is clean and the few staff we saw were friendly. Upon our arrival we were asked what time we would like "breakfast" and we requested 9am. The following morning I had to go looking for it at 9:30am and found it was on the way. The next morning it had not arrived by 10am so we left, as I did not want to spend my vacation in the hotel room. When we returned in the evening we were asked again and requested 8am...it came on time for our last day. Maybe you need to request it every night? I had assumed that it would just come at 9am for the duration of our stay unless we requested otherwise, rather than having to hunt staff down to remind them. Mind you, it is just a few pastries and oj n coffee...but it is certainly enough to get you through to lunch, so we were pretty annoyed that we had to go out and buy breakfast on the second day after waiting an hour.

The vendors in the market downstairs were relentless, but luckily they pack up and go home around 5pm. I never went in the downstairs pool because of the vendors and it felt awkwardly placed, but did find the rooftop pool relaxing and had it to myself each time i went. If you want sun though, you have to go in the morning because it's covered in shade by mid to late afternoon.

We were kindly reminded on both our arrival and departure to tip the maid "if we want" which I personally found somewhat rude. Maybe people don't tip there? I always tip (every day as I know there are different maids that come and clean), but if I were the type of person that didn't automatically do so, the 'friendly reminder' might have ensured that I did not.

Overall it was a good value for the price. If you are on a budget and want to be located central to town for a couple nights then I would recommend it, but I wouldn't recommend staying for an entire week.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Everything was fine as usual at the Vista del Mar until Martin, the morning receptionist blatantly denied my girlfriend a breakfast roll when we asked for one. Martins response was that there are only 3 rolls per room and it is policy that no more shall be given. My girlfriend and I were shocked that in a 'boutique' hotel such as this, an exception could not be made. I saw the box of breakfast rolls that morning and there were more than could be eaten for sure. I just want the owners of this establishment to know that I will not be staying at the Vista del Mar nor will i be sending any of my friends there. Hope it was worth the price of a roll.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed here in early April on my annual solo diving trip and was more than pleased with the service , room, view ( I booked the street view towards the sea) and was overall very very pleased

Good location for local food, good people watching and I was there the night the new prez was inaugurated and that was a hoot as the locals had a blast celebrating

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!