“Great Experience - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 87 attractions in Cozumel
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Great Experience - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Reasonable price for a really great time. Rene was an excellent teacher and spent way more time with us than I ever would have expected. My wife tried it and did a lot better than she thought she would. As Rene promised, we were fairly comfortable on the board after only a few lessons. Mr. Sanchos beach was really a great place to spend the day as well. Definitely recommend this activity.

Visited September 2013
Rene G, Owner at Ha Haak Paddleboarding Cozumel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi

We are so happy to have you here with us in Cozumel. Teaching everyone how to paddle
for the firts time and make folks love it is our main goal every time. Thank you very much for posting here. See you next time.

Austin, Texas, United States
9 attraction reviews
“A blast - I will be doing some practicing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I were at Mr. Sancho's beach in Cozumel when my wife Debi noticed they had SUP as well as kayaking. We decided to do SUP instead of kayaking. This was my 2nd time doing SUP and Debi's first time. My first and only time doing SUP was on Lady Bird Lake in Austin, TX, where the water is very flat and dark.

Doing SUP in the Caribbean is nothing like LBL. The water is beautiful but not quite so flat (especially when the banana boat ride goes flying past!).

The price was a touch more expensive than Austin, but came with an instructor who spent a lot of time with us on the water. At first I didn't think having an instructor would be that helpful. but Renee's encouragement helped us a lot.

When I first tried to stand up on the board, I confirmed my suspicions that the water was just choppy enough to make standing difficult. My initial thought was "no way" but Renee gave us some good pointers, (like start paddling as soon as you get both feet flat on the board, keep your knees bent, and then stand up slowly. let your balance come to you, and when you fall, go into the water smoothly). Renee's encouragement really kept me focused on what I was doing and was a huge help (something I need to remember when teaching my 4 teenagers necessary life skills like improving their driving).

Sure enough, within about 3 tries, I could stand, paddle, steer the board and show initial signs of controlling the board. Debi was also able to get the "hang of it" quickly and was also having a blast in short order.

We did a 30 minute rental, which seemed like a good amount of time for us since we were using a lot of our small balance muscles in new ways and after 30 minutes some of those muscles were starting to fatigue a bit.

Bottom line is SUP is a great core and balance activity and has a lot of physical benefits over kayaking. It is also a great activity for us to improve on together and is more fun and satisfying than kayaking,

We will do it again on our next cruise in a few months.

Like most activities, the more you do it, the better you get, and the more fun it is. So, we will be putting in some SUP practice at LBL in the next few weeks!

Note: Renee was an excellent instructor and is obviously an expert at teaching newbies how to SUP. However, I didn't give this review an Excellent rating because I fully expect we will have even more fun when we do it on our next cruise after some practice at our home town lake.

Visited August 2013
Hi !!
A post full of information for everyone is always greatly appreciated. We work hard to teach basic Paddling even easier every time. We want folks to feel comfortable and enjoying the activity. So, it makes very happy to hear back from them and looking forward to see you again in the future and paddle tour around next time.
Rene
baton rouge
“GREAT TIME for whole family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had an awesome time paddle boarding. My son(13) was the bravest of the group and wanted to try it, but it wasn't long before the rest of us couldn't stand him having all the fun and had to join in. Learning was easy and was nice to find something we all could enjoy equally. Rene is a good teacher and also posted pictured to FB (For No Charge). Mr Sanchos was a good choice of an excursion, food was much better than other simiular places we have been in Cozumel and it wasn't as crowded .... but what really made this 5 stars was the paddle boarding experience. Don't hesitate going to Mr. Sanchos and definately do Paddle boarding when you are there!

Visited August 2013
Hi
Family all together is one of the greatest benfits of paddleboarding. Entire family member will get together and paddle in rivers, lakes, lagoons, ocean or wherever teres a respectable amount of wáter. Even pools !!!!! it`s all about fun and we are so happy you foun about it with us in Cozumel. We love to teach paddle.

Rene
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We choose to go to mr sanchos because we knew we could also do paddleboarding from there as well. It was our first time trying it. My husband and I are both pretty athletic so we picked it up pretty easily. Good to get in a bit of exercise before enjoying the drinks at mr sanchos. We had a fantastic day! Thanks from Shelly and James (New Zealand)

Visited July 2013
Hi
Doing some excersise before having some drinks and relaxing at sanchos couldn`t be better.
The practice of the SUP offers many benefits to body and mind. Each person can discover how SUP works on them. It also makes you to feel part of the nature while you practice poise of body and spirit.
We appreciate your post and see you next time.

Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
“SOOOOO MUCH FUNNN!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really enjoyed paddle boarding, it was my first time and the instructor took very good care of my husband who had to sit out of many activities due to knee surgery. He explained to us that paddle boarding was great recovery exercise. I have always wanted to learn how to surf and I think this was a perfect first step to learning how to balance on a bigger board. He gave us a quick lesson to prepare us and coached us all the way through. He took pictures of us and posted them on Facebook so that we could see ourselves in action. My husband even lost his sunglasses and he was happy to retrieve them for us. Over all a great experience that I will not forget. THANK YOU HA-HAAK PADDLE BOARDING!!!!!

Visited July 2013
Rene G, Owner at Ha Haak Paddleboarding Cozumel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hi. After some time trying to recover your post which appeared in someone elses tripadvisor site, we got it now. We are so happy to know you had a great time with us last summer. Yes, paddleboarding is also helpful if you are comming back from some kind of surgerys. It is also a great therapy because of how much fun you can have just by doing it and planning to do it always. Please keep paddling and see you next time. Kind regards