“Keep up the great work” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tres Pelicanos Dive Center

Tres Pelicanos Dive Center
Calle 5 Sur Entre Avenida Raphael Melgar y 5ta Ave # 400B | Colonia Centro, Cozumel 77600, Mexico
+52 1 866 779 9986
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, the place where scuba divers come to dive their tank and/or computer profile. Our goal is to have each diver achieve the longest bottom time possible-SAFELY. We do not do DECO dives. We also take a longer surface interval in-between dives. We offer plenty of water to keep hydrated and snacks of sweet bread and fruit. Our boat is fast and comfortable. We have a fresh water shower on board to wash the salt off your face and for a camera rinse. Our crew sets up your gear and also takes it back to the shop where it is rinsed and brought back to the boat the next day for your dives. Our dive masters have years of experience diving the reefs of Cozumel. We understand that you work hard for your vacation dollars and want your experience with Tres Pelicanos to be a memorable one. We know that we cannot improve on the wonderful underwater world of Cozumel so we work hard at giving you the best customer service possible. We want the time when you first step on the boat until you enter the water and then back to the dock to be the most relaxing and enjoyable time of your vacation. So come on in and become a member of our Pelican family. Thanks Steve
Elmira, Ontario
“Keep up the great work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This review is woefully late but definitely deserved. A buddy and I dove with Tres Pelicanos in November. I've dove in Coz a few times before with some good experiences and some not so good. It's fairly easy to recognize when people are only interested in making a buck. It's true in almost any business and particularly so with a dive operation because of the direct contact you have with them.
That being said, it's refreshing to have come across a small start up business that goes about business in the right way.
From the way they handle the reservations to the atmosphere at the shop to the genuine way that Servando looks after the divers...you never get the feeling that you are nothing more than an ATM machine.
Their prices are very reasonable and I took advantage of a great rate to get my Nitrox certification. Servando helped me through the course and on the night of my test he showed up at the shop with a smile on his face and patience to spare. Keep in mind this was after a long day of diving and lugging tanks around. He must have been ready for bed but he didn't show it.

Servando shared some stories of the very early days with Tres Pelicanos. Days with very few divers because nobody knew who they were. One day he took out a single diver. They may have lost money that day but in my mind that's the day they proved their level of customer service and a big reason why their business has taken off.

The diving itself was great. We had a gentlemen from Texas with us for a few days and he entertained us with his prowess at Lionfish hunting.
Diving your tank is a great feeling. It goes back to the value equation....you get your maximum bottom time, they take you to any reef (many operations charge extra for some of the sites), you travel in a very comfortable extra wide fast boat and the staff are excellent.
Pretty tough to find any negatives.

Being a sales and marketing guy, I enjoyed tossing ideas around with Servando on how to make the experience even more unique.
I suggested using the available time before the dive and during the surface interval to educate the divers on what they could expect to see. Every dive operation has a plastic place card with pictures of all the different types of fish in the area but very few take the time to actually explain their role in the reef ecosystem and how they co-exist. Perhaps point out some unique characteristics or habits they may have. Many of us only get to blow bubbles once or twice a year (if we're lucky) so enhancing our knowledge on each dive would be very rewarding.

I'm obviously a cheerleader for you guys and I have no doubt that you're simple honest approach will serve you well.

I hope to see you again soon. Jim D

Visited November 2013
Steve B, Owner at Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Jim D thank you so much for your very nice review of our dive operation, Tres Pelicanos. Your statement of the review being woefully late brought a smile to my face. Even though you visited two + months ago you found time to remember us and compliment us with your review. It must be cold where you are and your memories of Cozumel may have just popped up. Regardless late or not your comments are very much appreciated.
Servando is an exceptional Dive Master/Instructor. His energy is boundless and he puts all of his efforts into our business. The same goes with Jeanie, Pony and Chan Fran. Even though Pony is more behind the scenes he is the glue that holds the shop together. Jeanie on the other hand is absolutely the best. We all call her our MAMMA PELICAN as she watches over all of us.
I can't tell you how much all of us here appreciated your kind words. As for the fellow from Texas and his Lion hunting skills--well I will have to see that. As you noted---he can regal an audience with tall tales.
The important thing is that YOU are now a member of our PELICAN family. We hope that you can return soon. We will be here waiting for you. Thanks again,
Steve Belmont

Cleveland, OH
“Exceeded My High Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I came to Cozumel with our 4 year old with plans to dive. We found Steve and Tres Pelicanos online and coordinated with Jeanie over email. They met every single one of our requests, including finding a qualified English-speaking nanny for us. Anet sat for our 4 year old and was very responsible. By the end of the trip leaving on the boat barely earned us a "bye mom and dad" because she was so enthusiastic about spending time with Anet.

As others have stated many times, the diving was superb. We had Jorge and Servando as DMs and they took great care of us. We hadn't dived in 5 years and I was nervous about getting back in the water, but they both made sure I was comfortable. They noticed that my husband and I have markedly different air consumptions and gave him a 100 cf tank to compensate, which made the trip a million times better. Francisco our captain took great care with the equipment and helped me get in and out of the boat, which was also very much appreciated.

They also picked us up right at the condo on the beach which saved a lot of time and effort getting to the boat. It was literally the easiest dive trip imaginable, and we attribute that to the exemplary customer service of Tres Pelicanos. As a bonus, we had a fantastic group aboard and looked forward to talking with them and spending time as a group. I would have loved to spend more time with Big Mike (the dive op mascot and Jeanie's husband) to hear his stories about traveling from Missouri to Mexico. Hopefully he will be up for more dives the next time we come to Cozumel!

Overall, Tres Pelicanos stands out among the dozens of dive ops on the island by their customer service and their commitment to comfort and safety of all divers, new and experienced. I would not hesitate to dive with them again.

Visited January 2014
Steve B, Owner at Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Judy/Todd It was a pleasure to dive with both of you. Thank you for your review of Tres Pelicanos Dive Center. I have passed your review on to Anet and the first thing she said was to email you and tell Sammi Hello for her.
Your request for a baby sitter sort of threw us for a loop. I usually pass all reservation requests on to Jeanie. She didn't blink and soon found a person to sit with your daughter. To be honest either Jeanie or I knew this person, but her qualifications seemed correct. I do not know how much English she spoke. Then i remembered that my neighbor Anet loved to babysit for others. I asked her if she would be interested and she immediately said YES. An email to you introducing her and then letting the two of you discuss things worked out perfectly. As you stated in your review---ANET WAS WONDERFUL-- and your daughter loved the time she spent with her.
I am so glad that we were here to help make your trip more enjoyable. Diving is what we do and I believe that we do it well. However a lot of diving comes down to customer service. If we can do anything to make our guests have a better vacation--then we shoot the works trying to make it happen.
All three of you are PELICANS now. We hope to see you return many times and our greatest wish would be to have Sammi get her certification with Tres Pelicanos. All of us would just love to see that and especially Anet who would be just like a proud Mamma.
Thank you, Steve.
Fairbanks
3 attraction reviews
“Another great trip aboard the Skinny Shark!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just got back last week from another great trip to Cozumel to hang out with the crew of Tres Pelicanos. During my one week stay I managed to get in 16 dives with Tres, and another 2 dives over on the mainland with CenoteXperience in Playa. During my first day of diving I did a morning and afternoon dive with Servando who is the original dive master of this company that just started a little over a year ago, however he was long over due for a vacation and went to visit family on the mainland for the rest of my stay. In his place long time Cozumel Dive Master Jorge from one of the other shops on the island decided it was time to become a pelican himself, and I really enjoyed the rest of my dives with him, and with the two paired together you won't be able to find a better pair of dive masters on your trip to Cozumel. The boat after one year is still in great shape, and Chan Fran as a boat captain is always there to pick you up, and does a great job of helping with the gear. They have a cooler full of fresh water for rinsing out your camera, padding on the floor for a comfortable ride, plenty of cold water for your thirst, and fresh fruit and cakes for your surface interval. Your surface interval will usually be done at a pier as long as weather permits. Expect to be able to dive your air, and if you run low quickly no worries as they will send up a bouy to get the boat to pick you up, as the others continue with their dive. During this stay I had an average max depth of 72 feet, and a average bottom of :71 minutes, the longest being :82 minutes on a Night Dive, which they will offer on any night if they have enough interest. Hope this review gives you an idea of how great this operation is, and I must say Tres Pelicanos is here to stay if they keep up the great service. Pony, Jeanie, and Steve in the office keep things going in the right direction.

Visited January 2014
Steve B, Owner at Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thanks Jason you were very kind in your well written review of Tres Pelicanos. I would like to expound on one point that you made--

--"Tres Pelicanos is here to stay if they keep up the great service. Pony, Jeanie, and Steve in the office keep things going in the right direction."----

As we have grown we are constantly trying to upgrade our service to the divers. Lately we have been finding tanks with less than 3000 psi. It is an easy fix to replace a low air fill with one of the many extra tanks we carry aboard. However it is a bit embarrassing to have low fills. What I have discovered is that some of the seats on our tank valves have worn out. Starting tomorrow we are going to replace all the seats on the valves and that should eliminate the low fills that have been showing up. When I pick up the tanks in the morning they are all well over 3300 psi (hot fills) however between the time they get to the shop or the dive site, some leakage occurs in some tanks. Please be assured that if you do get a short fill we will change it out quickly.
Our service is really the only thing that separates us from other very good dive shops. We encourage divers to let us know how we are doing. We like suggestions and try to implement them. Tres Pelicanos has become successful because of divers like you. We hold our standard of
"Building our business one satisfied diver at a time" to a high level and hopefully we will keep it there. If not PLEASE let us know. Our shop is your shop. We dive the way divers like to dive. Thanks Jason
Steve
Longmont, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Great Dive Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My 2 daughters and I dove with Tres Pelicanos for 2 weeks over Christmas. We had a great time. We dove mornings and afternoons. Pony was very accommodating of our requests. The dive masters, Servando and Mario were both fabulous. They were attentive, safety- conscious, always let us dive for at least an hour per dive and kept our dive preferences top of mind. The shop offered a free taxi from the shop, to and from the harbor, where the dive boat was kept. There were snacks and water on every dive. Our gear was well maintained every evening and ready to go, set up on the boat every morning. The boat was great - very spacious and easy to exit and re-enter. There were never more than 10 divers on the boat. We didn't have any issues with the mix of novice and experienced divers on the boat. It was also extremely convenient that we stayed at the hotel attached to the dive shop, Villas Las Anclas. We will definitely dive with Tres Pelicanos on our return to Cozumel.

Visited December 2013
manta_man_505, Owner at Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Laura S. thank you for your review of Tres Pelicanos. We are glad that you found everything you wanted in a dive shop with us. My staff is beyond excellent. They all go out of their way to make you vacation diving the most memorable possible. Jeanie, Pony, Servando, Mario and Chan Fran all love to see the smiles of new Pelicans when they come back aboard the Skinny Shark.You guys are members of our growing Pelican family now. We hope to see you again real soon. Thank you for choosing to dive with the three pelicans.
Steve
Northern California
“A Diving Adventure of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had a 5-day 2 tank dive package with Tres Pelicanos and were beyond impressed. The dive center was located directly next to our Hotel {Villa Las Anclas}, provided a taxi to and from the boat docked and stored our dive equipment. The dive masters were very knowledgable, the equipment and boat were clean and in excellent condition. Most importantly our dive masters knew just where to take us - the underwater life was breathtaking. We were so impressed with Tres Pelicanos we've all ready booked a return package and are brining our entire family. I highly recommend Tres Pelicanos, and for added convenience the hotel located directly next door - Villa Las Anclas. EXCELLENT!

Visited December 2013
manta_man_505, Owner at Tres Pelicanos Dive Center, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
justsayingitlikeitis--thank you for your kind words reviewing our dive shop--Tres Pelicanos. Our down town location has worked well for us especially being connected to the Villas Las Anclas hotel. It sure is handy for guests staying there to come to the shop in the morning to catch the taxi to the marina. We are so glad that your experience diving with us was a success. You are now PELICANS and we can't wait to see you the next time you return. Thank you once again for taking the time to tell the world about us on Trip Advisor.