“I wish I could rate this place with 6 stars...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Locally and Save!
Ranked #2 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I wish I could rate this place with 6 stars...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've taken awhile to get to this review... not because it wasn't important but because I wanted to give Casita de Maya the review it deserves.

We stayed for 2 nights at Casita de Maya, after spending 4 nights at one of the 'all-inclusive' resorts on another part of the island. While that first 4 nights was enjoyable I can say without hesitation it was impersonal and commercial by comparison. From the moment we arrived at Casita de Maya we were treated like family. When we pulled up in the taxi both Dan and Daniel were sitting out front with 2 adorable and friendly small dogs waiting to greet us. Even the dogs acted as though they had been missing us for years and were happy we arrived.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The architecture, the colors, the decorative touches... all spot on, working in harmony to provide a sense of mellowness and comfort. Gorgeous plants set off by hardwood louvered doors and the mix of tropical colors made me feel like I was in a Starburst candy wrapper. (that's a good thing). Small spaces made expansive by their openness and layout. Cozy and comfortable. Our room had every creature comfort you could want. Other reviews have listed the room's appointments, as do the photos, so I won't repeat that but I will attest that it was superior in every way to the all-inclusive we stayed at previously.

Dan was always available to help, or simply converse, and was very knowledgeable about the island. We're pretty independent and self-sufficient travelers - from a planning perspective - but Dan provided great advice on what to do, where to go, etc. and we happily took it. He was also quite open and honest about the challenges of running a boutique hotel on Cozumel. Interesting stuff, to be sure.

What can I say about Daniel... the best. He was so authentic and kind. We wanted to kidnap him and bring him home to Minnesota with us. He got real joy out of making us meals. He obviously loves to cook... and to spoil. Breakfast was really nice but he made us an amazing seafood dinner one night also and it was marvelous. We ate it by candlelight and it was one of our trip highlights.

The hotel couldn't be more convenient if you are flying in or out of Cozumel... literally a 5 minute walk into the terminal from the hotel. It's located in a neighborhood of island residents and simply put, that's not real 'touristy'. No problem for me but not everyone's cup of tea. We walked to a restaurant 6 or 7 blocks away (La Perlita) and lots of people smiled, waved and spoke to us during our walk. If you are looking to walk out of your room and onto the beach, Casita de Maya would not be the obvious choice BUT taxis are cheap and plentiful and I would encourage you to think outside the box on this as a deciding factor and give Dan and Daniel a try.

Some examples of the 'above and beyond' service we experienced during our too-short stay at Casita de Maya:

We wanted to rent a car and while there is a car rental place (Blueway Car Rental) right next door to Casita de Maya, it wasn't open. Dan called someone and they came right over and opened up so we could rent a car. The car rental was discounted too, since we were staying at Casita de Maya. When we left early the next morning, at 8 AM, the rental place wasn't open. Daniel told us to leave him the key and the paperwork and he would turn it in for us after we left. Wow.

We planned to go snorkeling at Punta Sur, the Money Bar and a few other spots - using our rental car - and asked Daniel if he had a suggestion for a place to rent snorkeling equipment for the day. We had been renting daily ($10 a day) where we stayed before Casita de Maya but turned that gear in when we left. Daniel did more than give us advice... he produced two very nice sets of snorkeling gear. In fact, the fins were very high quality which was fortunate as Punta Sur was extremely rough that day and those fins probably saved our lives (slight exaggeration for literary effect - but it was "black flag" rough). In another example of superior customer service, he inquired if we had towels (we didn't) and produced a pair of beach towels for us... even taking the time to dig out a pair of matching striped towels so we could be dry AND stylish.

I have traveled extensively, all over the world, since I was 20 (30+ years) and can't remember such willingness to care for customers. Frankly, it's difficult to use the word 'customer' when referring to Casita de Maya because we felt that they took care of us like we were "family". In fact, I might not have been as accommodating to my own family.

Bottom line, whatever we needed, they were happy to provide. Really, actually HAPPY to provide. Dan and Daniel are so good at this they even anticipated many of our needs before we did.

We generally don't return to places we have been... still so much of the world to see and experience... but our 2 days here have made us rethink that. If we do go back to Cozumel, we pray these gentlemen are still doing their thing at Casita de Maya because we will stay nowhere else on Cozumel now.

... lastly, if I used the name of the hotel - Casita de Maya - enough to be annoying, I apologize. I simply LOVE the name and it really fits the attitude of this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms - almost 5 - and they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pendleton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place is fantastic! We stayed here our last night in Cozumel after a week of diving (the dive hotel wanted full fare for one night despite the fact we wouldn't be diving), so I researched this place. What a wonderful place to stay. Daniel makes the time spent here worth every minute. He is a terrific cook, great bartender, and makes you feel like family. The owner, Dan, was there when we arrived and was also extremely friendly and welcoming. We were a little early for check in, but neither batted an eye at the time and ushered us in to our beautiful room. Daniel made sure we had exactly what we wanted for each meal, and he makes the most delicious fresh "hot sauce" (which was most similar to pico de gallo and a true treat!). The table/bar area was relaxing and cool and the pool with waterfall was the icing on the cake. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay in Cozumel.

Room Tip: The four rooms were ALL beautiful, but the king at the end by the pool is terrific!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This little boutique hotel is a true gem. Even though we stayed here last year in Nov. 2012, I still think of this place when I daydream about going on another vacation. Daniel, the caretaker, and Dan, the owner, are some of the nicest people I've ever met. We were celebrating our first anniversary and Daniel helped my guy arrange a special breakfast, flowers, and a cake to surprise me. Daniel always went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to ensure we had everything we needed, from directions to snorkeling gear. Even on mornings when we were planning to leave early, (like 6am), he had our breakfast ready. He is quite a chef and prepared something different for each of our breakfasts (we stayed a week!). We stayed in the Wind Room (Deluxe Queen), which was spacious and had everything we needed (fridge, desk, microwave, tv, dvd player, ac). The lady who cleaned our room daily would arrange a different animal figure on the bed made out of towels. Made us look forward to returning to the room to see what the new animal of the day was. If we have the good fortune of returning to Cozumel in the future, we would definitely choose Casita de Maya over a resort or any other hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am a little late writing this but better late than never. Having Dan (the owner), Daniel (the chef), and Daniel (the tourist) together in the evenings was a blast. We are from Texas and I have a very limited broken vocabulary when it comes to spanish. But I am here to say I enjoyed every conversation I had while staying here. His maintence/construction crew even allowed me the opportunity to visit with them one evening when my wife was ready for bed a little earlier than I was. Dan walked me to the street taco stand a couple blocks away at 11 oclock at night after I had enjoyed a few drinks and got hungry! These guys live up to every positive review you will read on here. From being knowledgable, and accomodating, to just simply friendly and welcoming. My wife and I have every intention of bringing our kids back next year and cant wait to see the guys again.

Thanks for everything guys! We will see you soon
Daniel and Tori

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

After a vacation in Tulum,I was flying standby on "Buddy Pass." After 2 days at the airport, my "buddies" long gone, I was still stranded in Cancun so I decided to try my luck at the Cozumel airport. I found Casita de Maya on kayak and saw that it was inexpensive and close to the airport so I figured it would be a decent place to crash. Boy am I glad I did. When I walked in I found a lovely lovely residence, more a house than a hotel. Daniel was there to greet me with a smile on his face and offered me the large bedroom despite the fact that I had booked the room with twin beds. It was bigger than my New York city apartment and filled with all the amenities I could ask for--Wifi, a DVD player, a phone that made calls to America and the first hairdryer I'd seen in days. I dropped my bags off and stepped outside to the pool where Daniel was waiting ready to pour me a tequilla. He gave me a great suggestion for a nearby beach and gave me a set of keys to lock up the hotel when I returned. In the morning breakfast was delicious--Daniel handmade me an omelette, kept my coffee mug full, and made sure I ate all my fruit. Afterwards I hung out by the pool until it was time to leave for my flight. The hotel couldn't take a credit card and I was out of cash so Daniel gave me a ride on his motorcycle to the airport. I'm sad to say I finally made my flight!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Galveston Island, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We got married in Xcaret, Mexico and decided to go to Cozumel for our honeymoon. After doing some research on hotels in the area we found Casita de Maya. The prices were very reasonable (considering how expensive everything else was in the area) and the reviews were amazing so I jumped on the deal. The hotel is very small with only 4 (expanding to 5) rooms and we were actually the only couple staying there for the week which was very nice. The workers were extremely friendly and accomodated our every need. They will even make you breakfast, lunch and dinner for a very small fee if you don't feel like going out.

When people say it's right across from the airport IT REALLY IS. We didn't fly into Cozumel but that is where we departed so when it was time for our flight we just walked right across the street. Surprisingly, you really can't hear the planes since they fly the other direction.

The rooms were very large and nice. Ours had a mini fridge and a large comfortable bed. The hotel is not in the touristy area but for me that was a plus since it was nice and quiet and a cab to the main drag in cozumel was only $4 so it's not like you will break the bank with that. Also, there are several car rental companies next door if you decide to rent a car which we did do for the first 2 days.

We plan on coming back to Casita de Maya for our 1 year Anniversary! See you soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

this boutique hotel with only four rooms just across the parking lot at the airport. Surprisingly quiet, nice. We rented a jeep so we could move around the island it turned out a wise decision comparing cab prices. Daniel the man in charge always ready to assist you. Smiling, kind. Really a good positive
surprise I must admit

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Casita de Maya? Share your experiences!