“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 56 hotels in Cozumel
Atlanta, GA
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This little boutique hotel is a true gem. Even though we stayed here last year in Nov. 2012, I still think of this place when I daydream about going on another vacation. Daniel, the caretaker, and Dan, the owner, are some of the nicest people I've ever met. We were celebrating our first anniversary and Daniel helped my guy arrange a special breakfast, flowers, and a cake to surprise me. Daniel always went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to ensure we had everything we needed, from directions to snorkeling gear. Even on mornings when we were planning to leave early, (like 6am), he had our breakfast ready. He is quite a chef and prepared something different for each of our breakfasts (we stayed a week!). We stayed in the Wind Room (Deluxe Queen), which was spacious and had everything we needed (fridge, desk, microwave, tv, dvd player, ac). The lady who cleaned our room daily would arrange a different animal figure on the bed made out of towels. Made us look forward to returning to the room to see what the new animal of the day was. If we have the good fortune of returning to Cozumel in the future, we would definitely choose Casita de Maya over a resort or any other hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tyler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am a little late writing this but better late than never. Having Dan (the owner), Daniel (the chef), and Daniel (the tourist) together in the evenings was a blast. We are from Texas and I have a very limited broken vocabulary when it comes to spanish. But I am here to say I enjoyed every conversation I had while staying here. His maintence/construction crew even allowed me the opportunity to visit with them one evening when my wife was ready for bed a little earlier than I was. Dan walked me to the street taco stand a couple blocks away at 11 oclock at night after I had enjoyed a few drinks and got hungry! These guys live up to every positive review you will read on here. From being knowledgable, and accomodating, to just simply friendly and welcoming. My wife and I have every intention of bringing our kids back next year and cant wait to see the guys again.

Thanks for everything guys! We will see you soon
Daniel and Tori

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

After a vacation in Tulum,I was flying standby on "Buddy Pass." After 2 days at the airport, my "buddies" long gone, I was still stranded in Cancun so I decided to try my luck at the Cozumel airport. I found Casita de Maya on kayak and saw that it was inexpensive and close to the airport so I figured it would be a decent place to crash. Boy am I glad I did. When I walked in I found a lovely lovely residence, more a house than a hotel. Daniel was there to greet me with a smile on his face and offered me the large bedroom despite the fact that I had booked the room with twin beds. It was bigger than my New York city apartment and filled with all the amenities I could ask for--Wifi, a DVD player, a phone that made calls to America and the first hairdryer I'd seen in days. I dropped my bags off and stepped outside to the pool where Daniel was waiting ready to pour me a tequilla. He gave me a great suggestion for a nearby beach and gave me a set of keys to lock up the hotel when I returned. In the morning breakfast was delicious--Daniel handmade me an omelette, kept my coffee mug full, and made sure I ate all my fruit. Afterwards I hung out by the pool until it was time to leave for my flight. The hotel couldn't take a credit card and I was out of cash so Daniel gave me a ride on his motorcycle to the airport. I'm sad to say I finally made my flight!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Galveston Island, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We got married in Xcaret, Mexico and decided to go to Cozumel for our honeymoon. After doing some research on hotels in the area we found Casita de Maya. The prices were very reasonable (considering how expensive everything else was in the area) and the reviews were amazing so I jumped on the deal. The hotel is very small with only 4 (expanding to 5) rooms and we were actually the only couple staying there for the week which was very nice. The workers were extremely friendly and accomodated our every need. They will even make you breakfast, lunch and dinner for a very small fee if you don't feel like going out.

When people say it's right across from the airport IT REALLY IS. We didn't fly into Cozumel but that is where we departed so when it was time for our flight we just walked right across the street. Surprisingly, you really can't hear the planes since they fly the other direction.

The rooms were very large and nice. Ours had a mini fridge and a large comfortable bed. The hotel is not in the touristy area but for me that was a plus since it was nice and quiet and a cab to the main drag in cozumel was only $4 so it's not like you will break the bank with that. Also, there are several car rental companies next door if you decide to rent a car which we did do for the first 2 days.

We plan on coming back to Casita de Maya for our 1 year Anniversary! See you soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

this boutique hotel with only four rooms just across the parking lot at the airport. Surprisingly quiet, nice. We rented a jeep so we could move around the island it turned out a wise decision comparing cab prices. Daniel the man in charge always ready to assist you. Smiling, kind. Really a good positive
surprise I must admit

• Stayed June 2013
Lenexa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned (6/6/13) from spending 4 nights at the Casita de Maya. The Trip Advisor reviews we read were spot on so hate to write another glowing review because others may find this gem of a get-away hotel. If crowded adult’s only all-inclusive, expansive grounds and gardens, steps away from the water, and fighting for a chair are what you are looking for, then this is not for you. If you like B&B's with quiet, peaceful setting and good food and friendly can't do enough for you service team, and then look no further. Tucked away in a small neighborhood, literally a 5 minute walk from the airport is this traditionally decorated Mexican oasis. Dan (owner) and Daniel ( chef/ mixologists/ morning greeter/ never without a smile person) will do anything to make sure you are comfortable and feel like a part of the family. How many places have you stayed at where you had that experience? Want proof, Trip Advisor recognized this hotel for 4 straight years, including for 2013. We began to relax minutes after arriving despite the Tropical Depression that spent the entire time with us, meaning 20+ inches of rain in 4 days. June is the beginning of rainy season.
The rooms were nicely decorated and the beds firm and comfortable. Julie made up the room each day at a time that was convenient for us. The pool area was very nice. Potted plants and trees added to the tropical feel.
The menu was reasonably (cheaper than most other places) priced but you can get anything you want with a conversation with Daniel. We had a wonderful fruit plate and danish from a bakery around the corner. For dinner one evening, Daniel went and got a bottle of wine for us. Talk about service with a smile. Had all but 2 meals at the hotel and each was delicious and served by the pool.
Other nice little touches you may not think about and may or may not find at mega resorts are free wi-fi, a USA phone number to use for free and leave with family back home, satellite radio in pool area.
We strolled (20 minute) to central square and used a cab (30 pesos). Rented a car from next door to drive around the island for the day. Hotel guests get a discount.
We walked around the neighborhood, made up of hard working families, for ice cream and beer, never feeling uncomfortable. People greeted us with a smile and Hola.
The worse part of the stay was having to leave and say good bye to new friends until we return, not soon enough.

Room Tip: book the room with the king size bed. It is at the back of the pool area with a private sitting area...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Needing a break from the long winter in the Midwest we decided on a quick trip to Cozumel Island to relax and thaw out - our first visit to this side of Mexico. Desiring to be away from the "tourist" hotels and areas, we found this small (4 bedroom) hotelito on Tripadvisor that fit the bill. Casita de Maya did not disappoint. As advertised, we literally walked from the airport terminal to the front door, where we were met by Daniel (manager, cook, bartender, travel advisor, jack of all trades and now, a friend). He gave us the back room which is the largest and best in the house since there was construction upstairs (new bar and palapa at front) and it would be quieter. He then prepared us a couple of superb margaritas and some awesome cochinita tacos while we waited for our room to be ready - we arrived at 10:30 AM. Daniel made breakfast every morning for us and prepared a special grilled lobster and shrimp dinner on our last evening (amazing!). We met Dan (owner) later in the day. Dan took us for a walk about the neighborhood and pointed out the choice places to go in the "hood" and on the island. Both Dan and Daniel and the rest of the staff made this place an amazing choice for our stay. You feel like you have known each other forever. Sad to leave after a short 7 day stay, but are already planning a return trip in the near future. By the way, you never hear any planes, so don't realize you are so close to the airport.

Room Tip: Although all rooms are very well appointed, the room in back is the largest and best in the house. H...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casita de Maya? Share your experiences!