“love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Asheville, North Carolina
“love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent a whole week at Casita de Maya last month. It was a wonderful relaxing vacation. Daniel and Dan
have got a real good thing going on here, and it shows. Daniel is a wonderful person that can cook up a fantastic
meal for you at a moments notice. Or, just some Chips Guacamole and Salsa in your own beautiful cortyard. Dan (the GM) can get you started on how to visit, and tour the Island, make suggestions for restaurants and just general information. The maid Jolie kept our room spotless and organized. Casita is a great base to explore Cozumel. We loved
to be away from all the Touristy places, and experience the true feel of Mexico. For us, that was just what we needed.
We will be sure to visit again next time!!...

Room Tip: All rooms are good as it is a small hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

First impression of this tiny (only four rooms!) boutique hotel was great. Our room, the Wind Deluxe Queen was beautiful. The maid, Julie, deserves major props. She is a perfectionist and excellent at her job. She cleaned and straightened things that I have never had organized in all of my many, many hotel stays. She even wound up the cord to my straightening iron! She also did her work at times that were convenient for us and it was never an intrusion.

One thing to be aware of is that the rooms are very open and don’t have solid windows/doors (they’re wooden shutters without glass). It is easy to hear what is going on in the courtyard from your bedroom and people can easily overhear your conversations while you’re in your room, even when your window and door shutters are closed. If there had been any honeymooning couples while we were there, I bet we would’ve heard them! ;-)

After reading all the rave reviews of Daniel’s food here on TripAdvisor, we had him make us several meals. Although the food was fine (though the beans with our Jeuvos Rancheros were very burnt and tasted like burned coals), it really wasn’t worth the exorbitant price. We were traveling on a budget and really should have known better than to have meals at the hotel with no menu and no prices present. The bill at the end was positively shocking (about twice what we’d paid for multi-course meals complete with margaritas and pina coladas in restaurants) for the VERY simple food and ONE glass of wine (no other alcohol) we had. For dinner, I had grilled chicken breast (fine, but no flavor), rice and carrots and some green vegetable that I couldn’t identify. My dining companion had shrimps in sauce with rice and the same vegetables. And we also had buttered, grilled bread and one glass of red wine. We had three breakfasts at the hotel—the previously mentioned jeuvos rancheros and then pancakes with a little bacon and cantelope on the side and the final breakfast was scrambled eggs mixed with chorizo sausage and fruit on the side.

None of the food was bad, it was just bland, and, as I said, about twice what we’d paid for other meals in good restaurants in Cozumel.

The pool wasn’t heated and the temps were a bit chilly while we were there so we never actually saw anyone enter the pool while we were there.

The bed was hard. Really, really hard. We still slept pretty well (being tired from scuba diving every day), but that mattress was stiff.

Taking a cab ride everywhere is annoying so we walked some. Walking to the central square took us about 45 minutes (we were walking at a leisurely pace and taking photos) from the hotel.

The fees at the airport ATM’s are exorbitant and vary widely from one ATM to the next. One ATM charged us 96.6 pesos (about $7.58) as a fee to get cash out (this is in addition to the fees your bank may charge), another ATM at the airport charged 66.6 pesos (about $5.25).

Dan and Daniel are both very nice people and happy to help with restaurant recommendations, calling you a cab (one cabbie told us it’s an extra 10 pesos to come to your location when called), or anything else you might need.

Oh, and they have beach towels! We went without towels while scuba diving for several days because we wanted the white towels in the room to be for showering, and then Daniel asked us if we needed beach towels and lo and behold they have plenty of old towels to loan you for a day at the beach or diving or whatever. So don’t hesitate to ask!

All in all, it was a perfectly pleasant stay, but next time I’m in Cozumel, I’ll choose somewhere closer to the ocean and the central square.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan_Kom, General Manager at Casita de Maya, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We at Casita de Maya do thank you for submitting your review and comments about our facility. We also appreciate all the feedback from our valued customers, in order for us to greatly improve and enhance our future guests overall stay and experience. We at Casita de Maya are very cognizant to our client’s overall needs and comfort. This in part, we will surely recognize and solidify our goal to make everyone’s stay with us a memorable experience.

I have read your review, (plus the numerous others for Hotels on your profile) and truly understand that travelling on a fixed budget can make a lot of things on vacation seem rather “Exorbitant”. From the extra dollar charged to summon a Taxi from our lobby, to the normal ATM Fees associated with the Mexican Banking System, and other US Foreign Bank Transaction fees. Unfortunately, I along with everyone else here, I have to pay those exact same Bank ATM and Taxi fees. We at Casita de Maya have absolutely no control of 3rd party fees or surcharges.

Thank you for your comments about our Cuisine that Daniel prepares for us. I do understand perfectly that everyone will not truly enjoy our food selection from time to time. The same sentiment for the most part, will now and then enter many establishments domain that serve meals around the World. We will however, surely strive to ensure a finer Cuisine product in the future. Thus, complete Menu’s have been added. We hope that our more positive comments for our meal options from our Guests will overshadow the not so. Our meal prices are very competitive from other Hotels Room Service. Our room side Breakfasts normally cost $5.50US with Complimentary Coffee, Tea, and Purified Water. Lunch and Dinner will run around 8-12US per order. We are truly sorry that you felt shocked by the price. I have read our Hotel Guest book also, and noticed you entered nothing but positive words and praise about our food and service.

In Mexico, beds are always sold on the hard side, and Pools are normally not heated due to heating costs. I am fully aware of this, being from north of the border myself. I personally buy Mattress Pads from the USA, to better serve our clients comfort. It was my pleasure meeting you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dan Komorosky
Casita de Maya Hotel
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hola all, arrived here to paradise yesterday after flying all night from Seattle.Breezed right through customs and was off to my home away from home Casita de Maya. Greeted with a beer and a water and immediately jumped into the pool.Oh that felt so good.Threw our stuff into the room and off to Playa Azul Beach. Couple of margaritas,some guacamole and man I really felt like I am on vacation now.Back to the Casita de Maya to relax after the all night trip as we were pretty tired by now.Something new at the Casita now is the incredible food they now have to offer.Daniel cooked us some of the best food I have had and eating it outdoors in the courtyard is as romantic as it gets.Like I said the food was spectacular.Off to my Casita for a great night of sleep. I will try to update daily so if you have any questions I will try to answer.Adios Amigos

Room Tip: The king room is awesome because you have your own outdoor palapa. All the rooms are comfortable ins...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Staying at Casita always feels cozy, mainly because the staff are very attentive. It is super clean and the staff are there for anything we need. Daniel is there to prepare some awesome food just like the best panuchos made by his wife! And even learned some Mayan words! We left a leather jacket behind and Dan (the owner) was so awesome he was willing to inquire about the best way to ship it to us =) We had a scooter so the location is not a bother - This is our spot.

• Stayed December 2012
chicago land area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great way to put the outside world out of your mind Tranquility! Dan(Hefe) and Daniel(First Mate) are the perfect host. Cant wait to try the roof top bar .Not your typical tourist destination, but first class. Ask Daniel to cook a romatic meal tableside!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Casita de Maya is very close to the airport which makes it close to everything in town. The airport is very small and there are few daily flights so airport noise isn't an issue. Dan the owner and the property manager Daniel were great, they took a lot of care to make sure we had a nice stay.

There were a couple of unexpected but nice touches: They buy 5 gallon bottles of purified water and make it available in the lobby so you can just refill you own bottle. That was a nice change after throwing away dozens of empty plastic bottles during the previous week staying in Merida. They have a Voice Over IP phone in the lobby so you can call the U.S. for free. They also use rechargeable batteries in the remotes which helps cut down on waste.

The location as found on Google Maps wasn't right, so here are the coordinates: N20 30.578 W86 55.891

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I hate to just repeat all the glowing remarks of everyone else, so I thought I'd write a few tips for staying at Casita de Maya.

I didn't know there was a fridge and microwave. (I'm sure someone mentioned it, but I didn't take note.) So you can make simple meals yourself. They have two plates and we bought a couple of plastic tumblers (I feared dropping the glass ones on the tile floor.) Bring silverware and a roll of paper towels and you'll be set. (A small tupperware and miniature ice cube tray might be handy, too.)

I wished I'd brought my slippers. The tile floor (spotless, by the way) is cool even in the heat.

We recommend having Daniel (the manager? don't know his title) make you a few meals during your stay (which won't be long enough.) It is so fun to see him zip off on his motorbike to go whip up your food. The food is good and his company can't be beat. He really is a wonderful, gracious guy. And he makes rock-solid coffee in the morning. We could smell it from our room. Great way to wake up.
(...and makes sure to have one of Daniel's margaritas. Top notch.)

Dan the owner provides drinking water in the courtyard. This is so nice and saved us wasting a zillion plastic water bottles. So simple and so appreciated.

There is a VOiP phone in the courtyard you can use anytime to call the states. The cost is included in your stay. (See why this place is so cool?)

In the morning and evening there can be mosquitoes in the courtyard. Daniel keeps a spray can of OFF at the bar. You're free to use it.

If you don't own any, rent your snorkel gear from Dan. It's only $5 a day. We loved having it handy when we were driving around. If you see something interesting, just pull of the road and you're ready to go. He also had coolers you could use for picnics, but we brought our own soft-sided one.

Dan was in the process of building a roof top bar. It's coming along. I hope to get to see it when it's finished.

The place is the most social guest house we've ever encountered. Everyone was friendly and chatty (but not too chatty :) and we ended up going out with folks a couple of times. Jump right in and introduce yourself.

I'm jealous of anyone reading this preparing for their next trip. Have a great time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casita de Maya? Share your experiences!