“Worst beach ever, horrible food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort

You added Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Costera Norte km 5.8, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Paradisus Cozumel, Melia Mayan Paradise)   |
Ranked #30 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
“Worst beach ever, horrible food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I went to Melia over Thanksgiving. It was a horrible experience. I have been to Mexico and Cozumel many times and always all inclusive. This is the first time we went out to eat at least once a day. The food was horrible. Dried out , over cooked or under cooked, zero flavor. I am not a picky eater by any means but I couldn't find anything edible. Saw many people leaving plates full of food on the tables. Just not appetizing at all. The restaurant that needed a reservation was worse than the buffet. I lived for breakfast so I could have an omelette.
I would have been less unhappy about the food if the beach wasn't such a disaster. The water in front of the hotel is dark brown. It smells like sewer. We couldn't swim. Had to walk down to the El Cozumelino hotel to swim. I go to Mexico to see beautiful water out of my window not a sewer. So disappointing. Plus it smelled horrible all the time.
This was the most boring hotel I have ever been to. People fought for chairs in the lobby to try and use the internet for some entertainment. Just say try because it often didn't work. There were a couple shows we enjoyed but one hour and then nothing else to do. By our last 2 days we were ready to leave which I am usually crying about leaving Mexico because we love it there.
We also had an incident where we walked in and found a woman that was not a maid in our room watching our tv. We called down to ask what she was doing as she didn't speak English. She ran out while we called. They sent security up because they said no one should have been there. He checked our key pad to see who had been there. The said they would let us know. It took us 2 days of asking to see a manager to finally have one give us a lame excuse . Very unprofessional front desk.
I would never go back even if given a free week at this hotel. There are so many better hotels in Cozumel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We traded in to Melia with RCI. Our room was on the 2nd floor with small kitchen area/ dining area/ living room and a bedroom with king bed that can be closed off the rest of the unit by opaque sliding doors. There is a cold water tub on our balcony with beautiful views of the grounds, pool, beach and palapas. We opted for non-all inclusive and have driven our rental car to various restaurants on the island.
The hotel offers various activities on a daily basis, from dancing lessons to beach volley ball. There are shows nightly, but we have not attended any choosing to spend our evenings in town.
We have done a lot of RCI exchanges, and this one is one of the nicest we've had. Most guest are all inclusive and not all of them are happy with their situations. I'm pretty sure we have some of the nicest accommodations at this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cozumel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I read several reviews that made me worried about my choice to stay at the Melia. All of my worries were unfounded. The hotel was nice and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and everything was enjoyable. I always found bartenders at the bar when they were supposed to be open and had no problems getting service. If you are reading the negative reviews and thinking of passing over this hotel do yourself a favor and give it a try.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The place is a dump. The food is uneatable and the drinks come in a little plastic cup and the booze is cheap. My deadlock was broke, they did nothing about it. The plug in the bathroom sink was broke. I had to hold the plug up while I waited for the hot water to heat to wash my face otherwise it would overflow, which happened the first time I turned the water on and it over flowed the bathroom counter and floor and soaked every thing In the way. The floors in the room were filthy dirty. The coffee table and dining table in the room were dirty. It looked like little kids greasy hands prints all over them. A maintenance man came up. He fixed the safe. And looked at the deadbolt and sink and said I'll have to fix those tomorrow, which never happened.

No coffee pot, only refrigerator in the room and its suppose to have soda and beer drinks in it, but u only get two beers a day. I called the next day and asked if I could have a couple more beers and some tomato juice and they said yes but u have to pay ten dollars to have it delivered. Anything u want in this all inclusive dump u have to pay ten dollars for. It smells like manure outside and there is a little dirty brown stream flowing into the ocean.

I took pictures maybe I can download them here.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this dump.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Washington, Ill
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a week earlier this year. At check out they placed the amount that was reserved on my credit card as well as the correct amount due for my stay. This was a $250 additional charge. Was told to call credit card company when back in US and they would remove the charge.

I did as told and the Melia told my cc company it was a valid charge. Melia told me to request a credit again, but my credit card company refused since it was already disputed by Melia once. This all started back in March 2013 and still can not get my $250 back.

The hotel is beautiful and we love PV, but a real nightmare in trying to get a refund for what we were overcharged!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

we stayed at melia Cozumel for 14 nights. Overall very good hotel with excellent service and very friendly personnel. Our 6 year old had a great time at the kids club, SUSSY was keeping them occupied and entertained with games at the pool the beach or the kids club. SUSSY, very professional and with amazing positive energy, the kids loved her. The food was good with many options for all tastes. The beach is great, white sand, the sea not so good but you can walk 50 meters and swim in great clear water.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cancun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I live in Cancun so I went for a weekend relax. I asked my son what did he want as a birthday present and he asked for a weekend in Cozumel. When I made the reservation I let them know that it was my son's birthday that sunday. When we arrived on saturday, the room assigned was beautiful. We enjoyed the pool, the food... everything. Next day, when we returned to the room from the pool, Sully from Monster's Inc was knocking on the door with a cake. There were 3 waiters with Sully and they sang "Las Mañanitas" to my son. He was very surprised and of course... very happy. All the employees are very friendly. The ones I remember are Ignacio, the restaurant captain, Carlos our waiter everyday, America, the frontdesk girl, and Ricardo Lima, the food and beverage manager who is also very nice. The service is great. I recommend this hotel if you want to relax and enjoy the pool, the beach, the oceanview, good service, nice people. Next day, on monday when we check out we were sad that our vacation ended so fast. We had a wonderful time and we said that it would be our newest family tradition to celebrate everybody's birthday in Melia Cozumel!!!

Room Tip: The highest floor, the better view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!