“Great People... Great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Costera Norte km 5.8, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Paradisus Cozumel, Melia Mayan Paradise)   |
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago IL
“Great People... Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned from a 10 day stay and it was great!!! The weather was excellent, the staff was great... especially Angelica... who knew my families name within hours and addressed us by name.. that shows Angelica cares about you and represents the resort in a VERY professional manner!! The facilities are older and need renovations but, what the building lacked the people overcame!! I would highly recommend the resort to everyone!!!

Room Tip: Try to stay within the hotel where you check in... the rooms are ten times better than the other are...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Surfside, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family just stayed at the Melia in Cozumel for my parents 50th Anniversary. The resort is beautiful with very spacious rooms. All of our rooms had an ocean view and it was absolutely spectacular. My parents had one of the suites that their deck opened right onto the beach which was amazing. There were plenty of chairs and bamboo umbrella's for all 9 of us every day on the beach. Especially helpful were Angelica of the Concierge team and Josh from Melia Club. Josh arranged for and picked out a huge tropical flower arrangement and champagne and had both set up in our parents room as a surprise from the family for their 50th Anniversary. The Melia overall is a fantastic and beautiful place to stay with one of the best beaches in Cozumel. I will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower with an ocean view are the best and most spacious
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband, two youngest children and I just got home from 10 days at this resort, which we chose because we had already stayed at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta twice and the Melia in Ixtapa once. Shortly before our trip I read many reviews and was worried because some were negative. And then I was worried when we first arrived because the resort was so much smaller than the other two Melia resorts we had visited. Well, this actually turned out to be one of the things we loved about the resort because we felt we were better attended to by the staff, and also it felt more intimate and we got to know some of the other guests because we would see each other all the time. The best thing about the resort for us were the activities for our children who are four and seven. They absolutely loved Sussy and all of the activities she organized throughout the day - from soccer on the beach, to pool games, to art projects, to iguana feedings, and more. This was nice for us because it allowed my husband and me to enjoy some adult time together and just time to read and relax and not worry about the kids. Every night our kids looked forward to the mini-disco and the games, shows and special activities. Even though the resort is small, it is actually nice and in a great location on a very nice beach just on the other side of a jetty that has a great snorkeling area. There are iguanas, crabs, and little frogs everywhere, which my kids just loved. The lobby was nice if you needed wireless, and there was even a pianist most evenings. As far as the food goes, we were perfectly happy with it, even for ten days. We never went to the reservation restaurant, mostly because my husband didn't bring the proper attire, but also because we were happy with the food at the buffet and the snack bar. Sure, there were probably at least 50% of the dishes that I was not at all interested in even sampling, but with such a selection, there were always plenty of things I loved. My favorites at the buffet were: Cristina's egg-white omelets, fresh fruit with yogurt and granola, fresh juices, and the selection of homemade breads and pastries for breakfast; any of the grilled meats, the pasta bar, the salad bar, the bread, and the specialty dishes (like crepes on the French night) for lunch or dinner. At the snack bar we enjoyed the syncronizadas (basically quesadillas with ham), fish tacos, chicken salad, nachos, and of course my kids loved the burgers. I think some people may be put off by some of the dishes that are traditionally Mexican, just because they are not used to them. My kids are used to eating all sorts of foods (like real Mexican, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.) and were just happy to have so many choices and have dessert with every meal! And of course I was happy about no cooking or clean-up! As far as the room goes, I thought it was fine. The beds are a little firm, but that doesn't bother me and is actually what my husband prefers. Yes, the bathroom is small, but that just seems so unimportant. We also loved all of the staff. Sussy, Norky, Rocky, and Alex were so friendly and energetic. Everyone else was always helpful and attentive. And we loved all the excursions we took with help of the travel agency on site. We did horseback riding, a day at Chankanaab, the Fury Catamaran snorkeling trip, and the pirate dinner cruise and loved them all!

Room Tip: We loved our room on the bottom floor of the garden view building because we didn't have to wait...
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our first stay at Melia Cozumel.and we were very happy and pampered by the staff,
specially Nemecio,in the isla buffet,he was so attentive and friendly!. the cook guy, from the Iguana nice and willing to pleased you!
Also Norky, Alex, and Erick, they treated us like if they already knew us, willing to help in any ways and and making us participed in games around the swimin pool, beach, and other entertaiments that the hotel offers.
the hotel room, need a little improvement in cleanig.
alcohol brevages are watered, but the service is good
in general, we recomend this place to anyone that wants to relax, wants some good food, and have a good time.

Room Tip: Third floor and above( ocean view)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just got home from 11 days at this resort and man do we miss it. Never traveling to cozumel we had based our expections off of other reviews and we found alot of them to be not accurate. Front desk staff perfectly polite and more then helpful. Concierge staff geeted us by name everday asking if they could help us with anything. Our rooms were clean with all the modern amenities and well kept everyday. All of the daily activities for the kids were alot of fun. Food was great new menu everday and the Cafe paradiso or upscale dinner had excellent filet migon and wine. Staff member Josh, well hes the man. Very professional, any questions or tips about the resort or the island he knows it all and is more then happy to help. Thanks for making our vacation amazing Malia Cozumel TEAM

Morgantown, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Review of Melia Cozumel

We travelled to Cozumel July 1-8th 2013 and stayed at the Melia. This is my 7th trip to Mexico but first to Cozumel (Cancun X3, Riviera Maya X2 and Puerto Vallerta X1).

Pros:
The room was beautiful, spacious, the shower was hot. We had a gorgeous view and the AC was excellent (we stayed in Room 903-in the tower "deluxe ocean view"was the description on Expedia.
The beach front was also large and there were plenty of chairs, again a beautiful view. Sea kayaking was nice straight from resort however for snorkeling we had to walk down past the Cozumelena (the neighboring resort). There is a rocky/coral reef coast line there that made for amazing snorkeling. I saw a large variety of fish, squid etc and just let the current bring me back down to the Melia (look for the Chac mool underwater near the sea wall.). The shoreline off of Melia is sandy, very few rocks with some seaweed (not the best cover for fish). The views from the adult pool framed with palm trees was a vista that was picturesque. The bartenders of both the adult pool bar and the lobby bar (both named Felipe), were very good. Our housekeeper "Oda", I think was her name was excellent.
The gym and spa were adequate and the activity schedule better than average for a smallish resort. I enjoyed the water aerobics-it was actually a decent workout, unlike a lot of the other resorts I've been to. The female activities instructor (blond, from Venezuela) was really good, had great energy and was engaging and encouraging with all the guests.

Cons:
I'm not a big foody and so I am amazed when I read scathing reviews about the food at resorts at which I am quite happy with the food. However, the food at the Melia is really below average (even for me) in presentation, variety and quality. The coffee is really quite horrible. We went off the resort out to dinner one night (Cafe Mission-really delicious but not cheap) and we also stopped in starbucks twice on our bikerides into the town.
Another con for me was the taxi fares( I usually rent a car but figured I didn't need to since Cozumel City proper and the airport was only a little over three miles from the Melia). My travel partner and I ended up paying out around $40 each for taxi fares which would have nearly covered the price of a rental for the week. That price $10 one way for 3 miles just seems like a total scam to me.
Other cons, the hotel is outdated except in the room tower part, which I would guess has been recently renovated. there was no coffee in rooms or lobby either.

TIPS:
You can ask your waiter at the buffet for bacon and/or ice cream/cheese and he will bring it to you even when it is not out on the buffet. I appreciated this discovery and wish I had made it earlier in the week. The a la carte (reservation) restaurant food was again unremarkable except for a better ambiance and being served instead of herding up to the buffet like cattle. We enjoyed our head waiter and his assistant "Fredy" at that restaurant too.
I'm not sure how this resort maintains its 3.5 star status. It is well below one of the 3 stars I've been to (Viva Wyndham Maya) near Playa Del Carmen. Overall, I really enjoyed the trip (I mostly travel for the rest, sun and sand) but would not go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Get in the tower. Close to newly renovated with an awesome view and Great AC.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We LOVE the Melia. Not the newest or fanciest hotel but great atmosphere and beach location. Got a great deal on this all inclusive property and got much more than we expected. Aircondtioning wasnt working the first night but we told reception and they fixed it straight away for us. Pretty good variety of food (what can you expect from buffet). Breakfasts were great, Lunch from the snack bar would be my pick. Willy at the pool bar made our stay! He was fantastic, spent 70% of our stay here and met a lot of great friends. Beach was nice, the water was brown somedays due to the seaweed but the water was still beautiful and warm. Also included was free 1 hour rental of snorkelling equipment, sail boats, kayaks which was a lot of fun. Would definitely return here if I get the chance

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!