“Beautiful resort, snorkelling right off the beach with lots of fish” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Vacation Club Cozumel, All inclusive & Golf

You added Melia Vacation Club Cozumel, All inclusive & Golf to your Saves list
Melia Vacation Club Cozumel, All inclusive & Golf
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Costera Norte km 5.8, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Paradisus Cozumel, Melia Mayan Paradise)   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #30 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful resort, snorkelling right off the beach with lots of fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was my first trip outside of Canada or the U.S., so I don't have a lot of experience with resorts but my friend who travels every year said that she enjoyed this one too.

The room was lovely, spacious and comfortable. I had a bit of trouble getting someone to help me with an issue that came up when we arrived, but we eventually got it sorted out. Otherwise the staff were gracious, friendly, and helpful.

I understand from my friend that on some resorts there are people who run around pressuring you to take part in activities and the like, but this is not that kind of resort (I'm grateful as I would have hated that!). It's seems more like a quiet place for couples. There were families with kids, but though there is a play structure, this is not a child-focused resort.

My friend and I were almost the only two buddies, everyone else seemed to be families or groups of couples. I suspect they thought we were lesbians but no one made a fuss, so I hope that means they are gay-friendly but I obviously can't be certain. The atmosphere was very relaxing, peaceful, and positive.

The resort has a good-sized beach, so it wasn't crowded. You can snorkel right off the beach and there are nice fish to look at. If you walk down the beach for two minutes and snorkel on the other side of the pier, you will find *so many* fishes to look at. We saw angelfish, schools of yellow and black striped fish and silver-coloured fish, a couple of little barracudas (further out) and a flatfish. So cool! That part of the beach is actually beside another hotel, but I wouldn't have wanted to sty there because the beach was tiny and very crowded.

I had a lovely time and will definitely stay there again if I return to Cozumel!

Room Tip: Our room was in the main tower and facing the ocean. It was beautiful waking up every day looking at...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Lo Siento Por Fiesta!! That was our theme for the group of 12 of us that visited Melia Cozumel March 10-14th 2013 and what a great trip it was! None of us had ever stayed at Melia before and none were disappointed when we left. It's a great resort very clean, good food, friendly staff, really awesome beach and very economical!! I would have to say that this is very much a family oriented, relaxed and laid back resort. Also very close to the airport which was great!

This is where I chose to propose to my girlfriend (she said yes!) and Yessica Vasquez with Melia Romance was amazing! Through the whole process of setting up the special dinner on the beach for our group of 12 she was very helpful, professional and kind! When it rained the day I was to propose I thought my special dinner would be ruined but Yessica came thru and gave me other options to have the dinner and it worked out for the best! The disco hut was set up beautifully and the dinner was incredible! Because of Yessica the dinner was a memory we will never forget, her hard work and kindness we will never forget!

I would without hesitation suggest staying at Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Resort if your visiting Cozumel! The town of San Miguel is a short cab ride and just a word of advice......go to the Lobster House just a few miles down the road from Melia for the most incredible lobster you will ever experience!

The only negative comment I will say is that there should have been music at the adult swim up pool bar other than that awesome resort!

Room Tip: Get a room with a hot tub and ocean view!! Just sayin.
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hotel
Our flight got in at 8 in the morning on a direct flight from Toronto and we were in the hotel by nine – to our delight our rooms were ready.
Very comfortable feel about the hotel and friendly staff.
We were unpacked by 10 and golfing by noon – just great.
Deluxe ocean view room (North building – three story) was clean and comfortable – but no elevator!
No coffee maker in the rooms so leave your can of Tim Horton's at home.
Bathroom was a little small and air conditioning had a musty smell.
Fortunately we had a nice breeze and didn’t need air conditioning.
Our friends had a junior suite (South building - highrise) which was much larger and a little more upscale.
Noticed a slight septic smell every night in the highrise – did not notice it in our building.

Location
Close to airport and town - no 90 minute bus rides here!
$7 cab ride to town or golf course – cabs everywhere

Good enough but not exceptional (except for wings offered at the Grille during the day).
Butter would be nice for the rolls.
A la carte restaurants / try the seafood salad in the Paradaiso if you like fish.
Didn’t like lining up to book dinner at 10am – after 8:30pm there were always openings when we checked.
You have to call each day if you want your fridge restocked.
The grill at the golf course across the road makes a great Mexican lunch and huge margaritas. It was a great way to finish the round / we made a trip there one day just to have lunch.
Had margaritas at Wet Wendy’s in town – they were expensive and more like a dessert - not to our liking.
Afterwards had dinner at the Casa Denis just off the main square – the Mexican platter was excellent and the price for dinner and drinks was about the same as for a round of margaritas at Wet Wendy’s.

Beach
Very clean – raked every morning
A bit rocky in the water at the north end of the beach.
Snorkel off the south side of the pier at the neighbouring El Cozumeleno for clearer water and lots of fish.
Took the Fury snorkeling trip for $59 each. It was quite windy on our trip so the water was choppy and cloudy. Not the best day to snorkel or to get on and off a catamaran that is not allowed to anchor in the coral reefs! Good deal for a day out and would definitely try again when winds are 10 km/h (6 mph).

Golf
Beautiful course!
The fast fairways added about 20 yds roll to our drives so we felt pretty good
Greens were typical Nicklaus – fast and lots of undulations.
Suggest hitting short of green and chipping to the hole – often will leave an easier uphill put.
We left our clubs at the course and tipped the attendants 50 pesos for cleaning our clubs each day.

Summary
We would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Choose the upscale rooms in the highrise if you need an elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We spent March 15th - 22nd at the Melia Cozumel, and the experience was potentially my best all inclusive vacation.

Buffet food was good. Breakfast was top notch, lunch and dinner were pretty good. Service people are on a mission to keep you happy.

Ala carte restaurants proved to be better than most all-inclusives, and service was impeccable. Cafe Paraiso was an especially a high quality dining experience on every level.

The bar staffs did not scrimp on the drinks, and they worked extremely hard. Andres at the pool bar is exceptional; he's a bit of an internet legend already, thanks to other reviews of his work and demeanor.

The facility is impeccably clean, and the beach was the best on the strip. There is even a decent snorkeling experience waiting about three minutes down the beach, beside a pier.

San Miguel was a ten dollar (US) cab ride. Try to get off the main drag and adventure the side streets to embrace more local culture. The city's extremely safe and friendly.

San Miguel is also less aggressive than Playa de Carmen, when it comes to vendors who accost every eye contact. However, it's so close, you simply must experience Playa del Carmen. It certainly provided a beautiful afternoon for us. Furthermore, Tulum is a short "Collectivo" ride away from Playa del Carmen, and body surfing on a white sand beach while viewing a vista of Mayan ruins will change your perception of life. It's almost a mystical experience.

The Melia Cozumel was a great value, the staff maintains remarkable standards, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hi, I just came back from 8 days at Melia from Mar 9-17, with friends who are time share members and we were celebrating a milestone birthday in the group.

The resort is lovely, right on the beach & very clean. The beach is incredible, beautiful sand & so soft. The adult swim up pool sits close to the ocean, however there are trees blocking the view a bit. Not sure why, maybe to tone down the wind coming off the ocean. It is quite windy on the north side of the Island.

Food is average at the buffet, but the two a la carte restaurants had really good food. Worth booking into if you can stand in line at 10 am every morning. The Grill has a menu to order from during the day, which I did not realize till last day with new friends met there. Yummy, & best service too. Our final night, we went to Lobster House restaurant just down street from resort, that was the most amazing seafood dinner I've ever had. Worth the price :)

I had ocean view room, that was so amazing. Jacuzzi took a bit to figure out, but the best part is leaving the door open over night & waking to the sound of the ocean waves. I miss that!!

Which leads me to one of my three disappointments. The resort is understaffed in the bars. This means you spend 5-15 minutes waiting to get a drink - at all bars. Allows for some chatting with other guests, but still, a really long wait sometimes.

Second, it advertises as a all inclusive golf & beach resort, but oh wait, have to pay for golf rounds. Now, I'm not naive, I know something will be extra, but $75-150 per round was the price range shared with me by staff & guests. I was ticked, last resort I was at it was included. Turns out if you pay $150 at check in to upgrade, you do get unlimited golf. Wish they'd been clearer about that! Have someone with English put a pamphlet together to explain the options, for members & non-members.

Third, this is the quietest resort I have ever stayed at. The nightlife is the lobby bar, with one bartender, and some comfortable seating but a sometimes annoying piano playing. By night 3, we headed into town to Senor Frogs, & returned there two more times. The resort disco plays only one type of music, & is dead most nights. And there are almost no fun daytime activities, other than noon beach volleyball. Aquaerobics, bingo, cooking/dancing lessons, darts, & name that tune are the main activities.

(By the way, downtown shops jack the prices for the cruise ship tourists, which is daily.)

That said, I really did enjoy laying poolside at Melia. It's serene, and you can walk right into the ocean for a swim anytime. They could use some float options at the adult pool, & a second bartender for sure. Take large plastic cups or travel mugs so you are not waiting a lot.

The Island itself is quite pretty, esp out on the south side. Best time was renting scooters to explore, which I'd recommend starting by 10 am so you can see a lot. ($60 for 24 hrs with insurance). Watch the all day tours, if they pick up a lot of people from other resorts, you spend a while waiting in the hot sun. And the bars out on the beach there have incredible food (I heard) and the views are amazing. Sitting right on the beach sipping cervasa is heaven.

If you are a couple looking for a mostly quiet holiday, Melia Cozumel is definitely a great option.

Room Tip: spend the money for ocean view...higher floors have spectacular views & less pool noise
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Melia for three nights and loved it. Our room was great! We were on the bottom floor, ocean view. Everything was quick and easy to get to from our location.

The bartenders were the best and the staff at the snack bar. We did not care for the buffet except for at breakfast time. We ate lunch at the snack bar and it was good. The outdoor restraraunt on the beach at night so good. Best potatoes I've ever had.

The beach was beautiful but full of seaweed to where you cannot swim in it. We walked next door to swim and snorkel. To sit and relax with a drink in hand a listen to the ocean the beach at the Melia was great. White sand and very large area.

• Stayed April 2012
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our group of three over-50ish couples have traveled together often in the Caribbean and we always have fun. That said, we had a great vacation at Melia Cozumel.
The food at the buffets was fine, not great. Breakfast I thought was weakest, but I'm not a big fan of typical breakfast fare so I look for other options which I have usually found at other resorts. The two specialty restaurants were better than the buffet but they still use the old reservation method where someone from the group has to stand in line at 10am every day.
We were surprised that they did not offer bar service to the pool area or beach. It didn't hurt to get up and go to the bar but it's nice to be pampered a little on vacation. The liquor selection was poor. Mostly domestic. Any port in a storm, though! ;)
We had crazy weather. We hired a cab driver to take us bar hopping around the island one rainy (??!) day and it was cold, but great fun. We had drinks and appetizers (great ceviche) at The Money Bar (only ones there), Coconuts, the reggae bar and a couple others.
We love Migual and Tequila Town downtown to the left of the clock in the plaza. We have stopped before and were welcomed back this time. Had to go twice actually. The second time to buy delicious small batch tequila to bring home. Migual recommended dinner at La Mission and it was delicious! The special that night was lobster tail, grilled shrimp and grouper with sides including tortilla soup for --- wait for it --- $21. We couldn't touch a meal like that in western Minnesota for that $$ and it was delicious! We also loved Guido's. Excellent food including spinach pasta, and DESSERT! Coconut ice cream and the most decadent chocolate brownie - a little crunchy outer layer and warm inside. Don't get me started! The house wine was good too.
We usually stay in Playa del Carmen. We love PlayCar Palace, Iberostar, Riu Palace by the golf course. Just a step or two up from Melia. So while we had a fantastic vacation we probably will not got back to Melia, but will be back to Cozumel. At least to get more tequila from Migual!

Room Tip: We were in 431. We inquired but an upgrade was not available and that was fine because we had a grea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Melia Vacation Club Cozumel, All inclusive & Golf? Share your experiences!