“Great location, fantastic value, friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Suites Colonial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5a Avenida Sur 9, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
Toronto, ON, Canada
“Great location, fantastic value, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, right downtown and steps away from everything! The rooms are big and roomy. To my surprise the room had a fridge which was an added bonus. The area is clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and they all speak English in case your Espanol is not that good. Great value for your money, I would stay there again anytime. There is no restaurant on site but you can eat at the sister hotel which is 2.5 blocks away. Either ways you are a few meters from some great restaurants, convenience store is 3 minutes away and the supermarket about a 10-15 minute walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cancun
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well if saving money is what you are looking for, this is good option, nevertheles the hotel could be improved in several ways. Let's see

1. The water pressure was too low, so taking a shower takes for ever.
2. The AC is just too noisy.
3. There are other outer noises like alarms, music from bars and things like that.
4. Location is good because it is close to the main pier and restaurants.
5. A good thing is that breakfast is included in the restaurant at Casa Mexicana Hotel.

Room Tip: higher level better view and less noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Abilene
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

You had noise from the adjacent room and the street. The room was clean, the bed good and plenty of hot water. Three block walk to breakfast each morning where the food was tasty, but cold. Good location only half a block from LaMission, the best eating place in Cozumel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We booked our room online in advance, which was convenient. Upon arriving, the registration process went extremely smoothly even though we had an extra person than we had indicated on the online form. The room was clean and roomy, and the location was extremely convenient: walking distance to the pier, dive shops, restaurants, bank, etc.

I know that some people had complained about the noise. We never had a problem with this, and I'm not sure if it was because of our room location (2nd floor nearest to the center plaza) or the fact that we usually ran the air conditioner at bedtime and any outside noise was drowned out. The internet and the cable TV were working fine in our room--in fact it was the most reliable internet we've had in a total of four months of travelling in Mexico over the last three years. Also, the pleasant five minute walk to the Casa Mexicana was totally worth it to enjoy the delicious breakfast buffet in the mornings!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to folks who do not require an all-inclusive, and prefer to seek out their own dining experiences and activities while in Cozumel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day stay at the suites colonial. It is located pretty much on the "square" downtown in a very safe and fairly quiet spot. The only noise is from the many restaurants and few bars within walking distance from the hotel that had live bands some evenings. You can't hear the noise in your room. The breakfast is great, price is great, hotel is kept very clean. The only complaint is the beds were a little hard. We rented a scooter from a local vendor for $20 a day and went to all locations on the island. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know. We went to dinner off the main drag each night an didn't spend over $12 total for 2 people each evening.

• Stayed March 2012
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our family of eight stayed here for a week over Christmas. We got four rooms so all couples could have private rooms and all kids could have their own bed. Got an amazing price booking a package deal.

Minor problems at check-in were quickly corrected. I had reserved a suite and was put in a standard room. As soon as I told the desk, they promptly switched me. The desk did not have my daughter's reservation, but have her a room anyway and said they would find the reservation the next day.

The hotel was clean, had a great breakfast a short walk away,was in walking distance to countless restaurants & shops. Taxi service was close by and provided easy access to beaches.

Our room had a safe, which required a $50 deposit for the key. The rest of the family was in standard rooms. Their rooms did not have safes, but ours was large enough to hold everyone's passports, wallets, and cell phones.

The room was simply furnished. AC worked fine and WIFI worked well from my room. We stayed in a suite. Consisted of a bedroom with 2 beds, bathroom, kitchen (with fridge, stovetop, sink, and basic dishes/pots), and sitting room with 2 seat couch, table, w/ 4 chairs, and a fold up bed.

Bar noise did not bother us. We asked for a room away from the bar, and were put in 201. We brought earplugs, but never needed them. In fact, I I only heard the music one night and that was from the bathroom. Never heard it in the bedroom with the AC running.

We enjoyed the breakfast at Casa Mexicana each morning. Suites Colonial gave us wristbands at check-in we were supposed to wear for breakfast. We carried them with us the first day, but never needed them. We just told the man our room number and he checked us off on his list. We carried our snorkel gear to breakfast each day and then caught a cab outside Casa Mexicana to the beach.

I had taken a photo of taxis prices when we got off the ferry, to be prepared for our daily beach excursions. We wanted to spend a day at Punta Sur, but I didn't understand the taxi sign. As the front desk for help. They translated the sign for me and then searched phone books and tried numerous numbers until they reached someone at the taxi office to get more info.

A word of caution: the tile floors and hallways are very slippery when wet. We had heavy rains one night and my husband took a nasty fall. Wear shoes with good traction when it rains. I was fine in Keens.

Why very good and not excellent? Really it was close to an excellent for a budget place. Two small things lacking: cream for the lobby coffee and seating in our suite. I expected a couple more chairs in our room. Looking back. considering how helpful the staff was, I bet if I had requested either, they would have made it happen.

No kids activities per se at this place. It was a clean bed for a do it your self vacation style. We traveled with teenagers. They were fine here. Enjoyed the wifi.
Sleep quality: I recently went to a bed bug training at work, so when we arrived, I checked the mattresses. Not only no one of bed bugs, but mattresses looked new.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I've stayed in Suites Colonial many times over the past years being a frequent Cozumel visitor. I have friends and family on the island, so I rarely consider all-inclusives. I'd rather stay in a less expensive downtown property, and Suites Colonial has been a good standard over the years.
It's clean and has a real Mexican polished wood and tile look to it. Centrally located just off of the main square and trimmed with flowers and bourgonvilias. There's no pool or special facilities, but for the price you can be sure of a clean place that will include a free breakfast at Casa Mexicana, it's sister (more upscale property) a few blocks away.
The rooms are quite large, so will accommodate a family of 4.
On my last visit I felt that the bathrooms could use a bit of an upgrade. They have shower stalls, no bath which is not uncommon in Mexico anyway.
The one downside was the Restaurant/Bar next door - a great place to eat and hang out but they do have live music a few times a week so if you are planning an early night when staying at Suites Colonial you might get frustrated as the noise carries quite a bit.
I have also written a review on Suites Bahia, which is owned by the same people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest away from AMbar next door.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Suites Colonial? Share your experiences!