Reading the reviews prior to our trip, I was really nervous. We were pleasantly surprised! We booked through FunJet vacations, so transportation was easy and our arrival was wonderful. We knew check-in time was 3pm, so we were expecting to have to wait. They got us a drink, towel cards and escorted us down to lunch. The grounds were gorgeous. Again, know that there are no beach view rooms, but the views from the pool and beach are wonderful.
The time-share component was not something we were prepared for. Jose was very nice, but the pitch and deals with associated hassle took more time than we were ready for.
Our room was good. We were in building 15, which was right in the middle of the resort, so quiet, but access to pools/beach and main buildings/activities. Our A/C worked just fine and we were happy with the bed. It's not the Westin heavenly bed, but it worked for the week. The fridge was well stocked and we didn't really need much else.
The food was a fear of ours, but again... expectations are everything. This is not a 5 Star restaurant in NYC. The service was outstanding and Adrian was SUPER attentive. Breakfast was great. If you can't find something you enjoy at breakfast, I don't know what you're looking for. Lunch was great every day, but our last, but we were still able to find something we enjoyed. There are always fresh fruits, veggies, tortillas, fish and chicken, so you can make it work. The coconut ice cream was outstanding! The view from lunch was tremendous as well. Dinner buffets were good. Seafood night was my favorite. We ate in both of the specialty restaurants and enjoyed Los Olivos the most. Our package included a specialty meal and it was wonderful. I believe if you go in with expectations for good food and open to different combinations, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Our romance package also included a welcome champagne and strawberries which we had to request a few times, but they were worth the wait. The massage was ok, it was not a deep-tissue or romantic-beach massage, but it was a quiet 20 minutes to relax (30 minutes is set-up time included). It was something we probably would not pay the extra money for in the future.
The drinks and bar service were also good. We have stayed at all-inclusives before. You always need to specify what alcohol you want, just like any other bar. They will give you the house liquor if you do not specify. We brought our own insulated cups and highly recommend it. It keeps your drink colder, longer and make for less trips to the bar. I was sad that there was no swim-up bar, but the lines were not too bad.
The pool and beach were also great. There were a lot of kids in the main pool, but the relax pool and beach were quieter. The beach was great and there were always chairs available. There were a few salesmen, but they were not as pushy as other places I have been.
The entertainment was ok. The fire show and Aztec nights were really good, the others were not the best. The disco was fun to meet up with other couples, but not a true dance club, unless you're willing to lead the line dance.
Our excursions were good. As mentioned before, there was some hassle in getting everything ironed out, but in the end, the snorkeling and jeep rental were worth it. We would highly recommend renting a car/jeep to explore the east side of the island. The beaches are SPECTACULAR! Having a dock right on the resort was helpful with our snorkeling outing because we got right on the boat and wasted no time getting to the reefs.
Overall, my husband and I had a great time. Everyone was very helpful and courteous. The room was what we needed and the food and drinks were plentiful. We were looking for and expecting a quiet, romantic week, and that is what we got. If you are looking for 5 star, you will need to pay for a 5 star. If you keep your expectations in check, you will enjoy your stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Agoda, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel