“Did I mention it's IN the JUNGLE?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Cozumel

You added Occidental Grand Cozumel to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.6 Zona Hotelera Sur | Colonia El Cedral San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Worth, Texas
“Did I mention it's IN the JUNGLE?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This resort is situated IN the JUNGLE! Sprawling layout with (I'm guessing) a quarter mile walk from the front entrance to the beach. Our room had a leaky sink and condensation dripping from the bathroom ceiling. We put a couple of towels down and kept going. Neither was a deal breaker because the setting was incredibly lush and everyone we met was incredibly friendly! VERY family friendly. Lots of kids, lots of strollers. Buffet meals - endless food and beverages! Wait staff to greet, seat and bring drinks. Every "do you have....?" was answered with, "Yes. Let me get it for you." I *highly* recommend this resort and Alberto's snorkeling excursion.

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor and loved it. There are about 20 rooms per 3 story building, so noise w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Betsy_Page2014,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We are indeed very proud of our lush setting and and most glad to know you enjoyed it as well. We appreciate your kind comments on our service.

Occidental Grand Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Magnolia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was our first time staying at Occidental Grand Cozumel, and I was a little nervous when booking based on reviews on this site. After comparing different resorts, location on the island, ammenities, and weighing the pros and cons, we booked our stay. We chose to stay in the Royal Club because we read about the extras that come with the upgrade.

I have read MANY of the reviews of the hotel (good and bad) and I will say they all hold their own bit of truth. The Occidental has its share of both strengths and weaknesses. They were very good at accommodating us when we had special requests. This was one of the little perks we enjoyed at the Royal Club! Special check-in and check-out, towel exchange whenever we wanted it just steps from our door, restaurant reservations made super easy! It was also nice to have our "own" restaurant within the Royal Club. We did not eat lunch or dinner there, but enjoyed our breakfast on their patio in the morning breeze and it was just lovely (again, just steps from our room.)

We usually tipped $1 when we went to the bar. This kept the bartenders happy and we were pleased with our drinks. The food is ok. Buffet was adequate, although I will agree it is always warm in the buffet dining room. I could always find something that I liked. The Beach Cafe was also ok. We only ate there once on our first day, but it was fine. It's a casual, open-air buffet, so I wasn't expecting 5-star food! We ate at the steakhouse one evening for dinner, and it was decent. Both my husband and I ranked our favorite meal at the Mediterranean restaurant! It was very good. We also enjoyed the La Piazza outdoor dining area for their "taco nights" over the weekend. We also tried pizza there on Monday night, and it was alright. But I'm not really on vacation for the food, so it wasn't a major thing for either of us, as long as we were fed and didn't get sick.

Rooms are beautifully decorated, and I loved that at the Royal Club, our patio faced out into a natural, green space with lots of trees and privacy! The room could smell a little musty at times, but I think that's just part of being in a tropical area. We traveled with our own, small table fan, and it made a huge difference. We just propped it on the table next to the bed and turned it directly on us! After the first day, the AC had cooled the room down considerably and we were comfortable when in our room. I slept so soundly - bed not too hard or too soft. I did read a review about only being given one washcloth. We thought that happened to us, too. However, I discovered on the second day that there was indeed a second washcloth wrapped around the toiletries on the vanity. At that point, we had already called and had another sent to our room!

Agreed with this review "It is a long walk from the beach to the lobby bar, and it is true that the beach bar closes at 6:30." My husband just ordered 2 drinks for each of us just before the bar closed at 6:30, which was perfect for watching the sunset about 7:20. Just gotta be creative!

We loved this resort. Yes, I have stayed in flashy, over-the-top places and have enjoyed them for what they offer. But we loved the quiet grounds, beautiful surroundings, and slow easy pace of this resort. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the entire vacation, resort included. In reading over some of the complaints upon our return from vacation, I do think a lot of the complaints people have made are based on US standards and expectations. But this is Mexico! Embrace it for what it is (and is not!) The hotel has beautiful grounds and for the most part, very friendly people. It is also awesome that you can schedule your own fishing/diving/snorkeling excursion and they are able to pick you up right off of their pier.

Definitely pay for the upgrade to the Royal Club if you can. They will go out of their way to accommodate you and the concierge service is excellent. This was our first but not our last stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel.

Dear allicatag,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We appreciate your liking and kind comments about the Royal Club, we are proud to offer this service to our guests.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My first impressions were great. We were lucky to have "First Club" status since we are RCI members. We were whisked past the busy reception and taken to a private air conditioned office for check in with bar and snack service. First Club staff were very helpful and accommodated all our requests with a smile. We had a great room...all week we watched the time share tours come to the rooms in our building so I think we had the nicest accommodations (building 14). We knew about the walk to the beach being a little far so that wasn't a surprise and we enjoyed all the wildlife we saw along the way. The beach is beautiful with roped off snorkeling area and great white sand stretching in both directions. They had several hut things you could lay in (though no one did, I'm not sure why). Be prepared to be hounded multiple times all day to but stuff. The same 3 guys walked by over and over. Got very annoying after the first couple times. We were glad to see someone taking orders for drinks on the beach, but usually only made the rounds 1-2 times in the day. They have lots of water toys (snorkeling, kayaks, wind surf) plus pool and beach volleyball to keep you from getting bored.

Then there is the food. The main buffet La Posada is located at the opposite end of the resort from the beach. It was stifling hot and muggy which doesn't help the appetite. The food spread was highly disappointing. The meats and stews were ok but produce was slim pickings and not good. And it got way worse as the week went on. Last nights left overs were all over breakfast buffet. Again, disappointing to eat indoors and miss the opportunity to eat overlooking the ocean. Ironically, we got this wish by the end of the week because La Posada got shut down for who knows why and all meals had to be served at the beach club, as it should be anyway. This brought the problem of the birds though and more than once I saw a bird sitting on the buffet eating. Yep, I did.

The restaurants were not much better. The effort was sorta there but they really missed the mark. Frozen calamari? Yum. Did I mention the first night my husband and I woke up within 5 minutes of each other to make a mad dash to the bathroom? We were sick all week. I've never lost weight or gone hungry at an all-inclusive until now.

The only time we enjoyed a meal was at La Careta in the Royal Club. Delicious, fresh cooked and well presented. Made me realize that they DO know quality, they just choose to not provide it to most of the guests.

We were also disappointed by multiple resort services being closed, broken or behind schedule. The jacuzzi in the spa was broken, La Posada had to be shut down (not a disappointment), the only bridge to the beach was being repaired midday, the quiet pool bar was closed and La piazza which is your only food after dinner shut down early with no notice. We also had poor service with the general staff. I called 3 minutes before 9 to make a dinner reservation and they said they don't take them until 9. When I called back 3 minutes later, he told me I had to come in person. I guess I'm lucky he answered though because another night we couldn't get anyone to answer when calling multiple times. Wait staff seemed apathetic and more worried about clearing tables than serving those present. The First Club and Royal Club were overwhelmingly helpful, though. But again this attitude didn't prevail for the general staff and guests.

Overall, there is a lot of potential at this resort but they miss the mark. I just feel like it's managed poorly by choice. They reserve the good food and service for the upper ranks which I'm glad we had access to, but wish they maintained these high standards throughout the whole resort. We won't be returning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear acuteot,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations regarding food and service.

New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Summary: The Occidental Grand in Cozumel is a clean family style resort with a clean beach, good food, nice rooms and friendly staff. We traveled with a group of friends (15 of us in all) on a SCUBA vacation. While the overall consensus of our group was mixed as far as the diving goes I think we were all pleased with the Occidental Grand Resort. We Wifi must be purchased and it’s expensive, something like $20 per day or $80 per week when we visited in May 2014. SCUBA diving is OK but don’t expect a prier dive facility or boats.

Details:

Front Desk:
We were met at the front desk by a very pleasant gal, don't remember her name, who did her best to get our entire group registered in an efficient fashion. I wish I could remember her name because the rest of the front desk staff wasn’t as friendly throughout our stay. We did not experience any of the high pressure "Time Share" pitch during our stay that have been reported by other reviewers.

Rooms:
The rooms are spacious. King sized beds are rare with two full beds being the norm. My wife and I fit in the bed but it was "cozy". Some of the larger couples in our group had to sleep in separate beds because they said they couldn't both fit in one bed. The beds are very firm, so if you are used to a pillow top bed you may want to make a run into town and purchase an egg-crate topper for about $30 U.S. at the MEGA grocery store. The rooms are arranged in three story "Villas". The Villas are built in a circular fashion with an open air garden in the center. Each room has a patio or balcony with a view of the dense foliage and plants around the resort. Our room in Villa 18 had a flat screen TV with DVD player on top of a dresser, and a small breakfast table. The bathroom had a full sized tub, large walk in shower with plenty of hot water, large vanity top and mirror, closet with ample room for all our clothes, a programmable safe, mini fridge which is stocked daily with water and every other day with beer and sodas. There was also a 4 - 6 cup coffee maker and ice bucket. There are ice makers in each Villa as well as morning coffee service on the ground floor. The resort has a robust night life (weather permitting) so if you plan to go to bed before 10 or 11pm try to get a room in Villa 18 which is furthest away from the disco and closest to the beach. The only issues we had with the room were intermittent key card issues most of the week, water leak in our bathroom from a plugged air conditioner drain line, and a safe that would not unlock. The key card issue was a common one among our group and other guests we visited with. The safe and water leak were promptly fixed by placing a call to the front desk. Both times a maintenance man was knocking on our door within five minutes.

Grounds:
The grounds are manicured and the pools very clean. The bars are well stocked and the staff happy to serve you whatever you want. This resort is in the middle of a mangrove so expect some mosquitoes and no-see-ums. We were told they spray every night but bug spray was still a must have. The beach was clean and there were plenty of beach chairs for everyone. We didn't experience any of the issues other reviewers reported in the way of beach chairs being all reserved by mid-morning. The beach faces west so don't miss the sunsets. Wild life is everywhere throughout the resort. We saw and heard lots of birds and frogs as well as iguanas and crabs.

Staff:
The majority of the staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. The exception was the front desk staff (except for one gal I mentioned earlier) and the restaurant staff. The restaurant staff were a mixed bag. In La Posada (Breakfast and Dinner Buffet) the staff were generally helpful and courteous. Upstairs at La Piazza Francisco had a real snooty attitude. He would have been right at home as the maitre d' of an exclusive Hollywood restraint. The maitre d' of El Sonora and Los Olivos (the by reservation only restaurants) were also fairy snooty arguing with us about our reservations and having a bad attitude when we showed up 10 min early, even though it was 7:50pm and the place was 80% empty.

Food:
The water is safe to drink on the island. There was a good variety of food on the buffets. Some items were delicious and some were average to above average. The food in the A La Carte restaurants was very good but the restaurants were very warm and stuffy and the staff, as mentioned before was somewhat cantankerous. Over all we generally chose the buffets as the food was good and the staff in these areas was much more likable.
SCUBA Diving:
Diving at the resort is provided by Pro Dive Mexico. As I understand it this is an outside contractor that provides SCUBA services to guests of the resort. Our group travels to dive resorts all around the Caribbean and has experienced many types of dive shops and dive resorts. This resort is not a dive resort, rather it’s a family resort with a dive shop. Pro Dive Mexico prides themselves on safety and from what we saw this held true for the most part. When we did identify a safety issue it was taken care of promptly. The dive shop staff did everything they could to make sure we were happy. Our dive master Joey, was one of the best dive masters we have ever had (and we have had a bunch over the years). Anna Elise runs a tight shop and does a great job. Sebastian took care of our gear everyday like a pro. The con’s of this dive shop were no designated camera rinse tanks or buckets, gear is stored in large plastic milk crates which are spread out on the ground every morning and locked up before 5pm. The boats are small and crowded with no shelter from the elements and no restroom facilities. The ladder to get out of the water is nothing more than a pole with steps off each side, no hand holds once you are out of the water. I’ll post some pics to better explain. Over all a safety orientated group with budget diving boats.

If you are still reading, don’t miss Alberto’s Beach Bar Restaurant. This is outside the resort but well worth a visit for a sunset dinner on the beach. Alberto’s is just a five minute walk down the beach. Walk out the to dock and turn left down the beach.

Room Tip: Resort has a robust night life so rooms closer to the beach are quieter if you are not a night-owl.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear MedicPat,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments about the dive shop into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards.

Ramah, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Our arrival at the Occidental First Club Members concierge was a positive experience, with the girls working there open to hear our wish in regards of lodging. Annie understood our wish for a peaceful, private accommodation, and we were perfectly placed where we had hoped for.
We had chosen to spend the second part of our vacation in the Mexican Caribbean in a place right between the green and blue of this island, its natural reserves and its stupendous coral reef, and our studio embodied just that.

The studio was roomy, elegantly furnished with natural materials, and with an entire sliding glass-door-wall to permit a direct connection with nature through a private patio, backed up by the plants and not too far from the beach.
A well equipped kitchenette (sink, microwave, espresso machine, fully stacked fridge with drinks, and our own bar), and the bathroom/powder-room area in stone and marble (tub and glass-encased shower) made you truly feel comfortably at home.
Mornings, sipping our espresso while lounging on our patio facing the mangroves and the well-kept tropical gardens, we'd see all sorts of animals coming about their early chores.

The beach was another great spot to spend a lot of time at. Crystal clear, warm waters of different blue and green hues, timing with marine life typical of the coral barriers, and the chance to make long walks along the shores, all the way to the reserve and the lagoon.
With kayaks or boats you could reach the more famous spots for diving and snorkeling.

Our club-pool was an oasis of peace and beauty, while around the other more frequented beach-pool, all kinds of activities abounded, becoming sheer entertainment for all, the acting and the observing alike. A fully equipped bar and a nice buffet were at hand for the thirsty and the hungry.

Three restaurants and a pizza-parlor were available for your choice of dinner. Our favorite here was the "Sonora Grill", with witty Esteban as our gracious table host. The pizzas, served at the First Club terrace, were also pretty delicious.
I also personally enjoyed shopping at the in-the-premises "Los Chinco Soles" boutique. Great people working there, and beautifully hand made jewelry and craft items, with reasonable prices and further discounts.

Evenings were characterized by the live shows with dancers and musicians performing, while local vendors were showing their craft on the side-walks and, of course, the disco until late night. We danced our shoes off on a couple occasions there, since the DJ was open for requests and, hence, the music was always sensible to all walks of life.
Outside the resort, all along the beach-line, there's a paved road for bicycles, so we went there to do our jogging. If you like nature, and a laid-back type of crowd, then this resort is for you.

Room Tip: Building # 19, room # 1912 was our home away from home.
Dear Francesca Giova... P,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. Your description of our premises and Island and both poetic and accurate, we appreciate your kind and beautifully put words.

Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Overall, the resort was clean and beautifully maintained. Bed was hard and the A/C was not working well. They don't try to nickle and dime you, all up charges are reasonable except they will charge you for leaving keys and towel cards in your room instead of taking them to the front desk. The Swedish massage I got was wonderful. I would not pay the extra $35 for turndown service and a bottle of tequila again, because you don't feel like drinking tequila after being at the pool bar for a couple of hours, and my friends had turndown service even though ther didn't pay $35. They only give you 2 bottles of water per day so you have to chase down a water cart and ask for a case to stay hydrated. All the water they serve in the buffets and restaurants is purified and safe to drink. One other note the "minibar" only consists of 2 cans of Sol (beer) and some soda.

The resort is nice but not extremely glamorous. Staff was friendly and the bartenders were fun, except for Francisco at the front desk who books dinner reservations and exchanges currency. Gift shop is priced like the airport/town. The whole resort accepts pesos and USD.

Food at breakfast, pizzeria, and reservation restaurants were good. Lunch buffet at the beach bar was not good and we ended up eating the same thing every day. Discoteca was fun, the bartenders were nice, it was fairly well air conditioned, and the music was a good mix of popular classics and new music; plus they have a pool table.

We ended up going to Palmeras restaurant off the resort, which was OK. The next time we went to town we went to Guidos which was OUTSTANDING seafood, service, margaritas and lemoncello. I would bring that place back to my hometown if I could.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Lburkert7,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. Glad you also venture yourself into town and discovered some local restaurants.

Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Vacationed with three of our adult children and one daughter's sigificant other. Overall, this was a great place to stay. We have stayed at many resorts in Cozumel and this was right up there with the best of them. It is close enough to Dressel Divers at Iberostar to walk down the beach to the dive shop. The only issue was that the a/c in our rooms the first day was really slow getting cold. By night, it was cold enough that we slept fine. And, given a choice, we would have dealt with anyone other than Francisco at the front desk - he was really not very customer-service driven in that he acted like every request or issue was a personal pain in the hiney for him (rolled his eyes, totally distracted, etc.). All other staff we've dealt with have been very helpful and courteous. Abi and the rest of the folks at the pool area were great! BTW - bugs are a real issue - bring bug spray!! All in all, we would stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms are quite large, but can confirm the other comments - very few king-sized beds. We made t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear nycollegesearching,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments about front desk into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards.

Occidental Grand Cozumel

Been to Occidental Grand Cozumel? Share your experiences!