“One small change can ruin your opinion….” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Cozumel

You added Occidental Grand Cozumel to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.6 Zona Hotelera Sur | Colonia El Cedral San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
South Weymouth, Massachusetts
“One small change can ruin your opinion….”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Let me start off by saying I have stayed at the Occidental Grand several times, and like the place very much. I just returned from another trip there and they made one change that puts them in a much lower bracket in my opinion: They now have people soliciting in the lobby for "Vacation Club" in a strong arm sort of way. Don't promise me a free jeep rental if I just go to their one hour presentation. Leave folks alone to enjoy their vacations! If I want pressure, I will stay at work and get paid for it. Each day I walked through the lobby and got accosted by their overly aggressive sales force. That is not what I am there for. I was there to relax and enjoy the scenery. I know where the tours are and how to get to them. No more pushing Vacation Club please! It saddens me to say this, but I may have to find another hotel next time I visit Cozumel!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Slovak first
Millis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our second dive vacation to Cozumel, first time at Occidental. The room was very nice, clean and spacious. (the iron and hairdryer needed updating) but overall the room was nice. The grounds are lovely and well maintained, the beach was very nice. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Food was good, with plenty of variety, omelettes made to order in the morning were a highlight. lots of activities available and plenty of quiet areas too. We never felt the need to leave the resort. We had a few dinners in the regular restaurants (reservations required) which was a nice change of pace from the daily buffet.

The Dive shop PRO DIVE MEXICO was excellent! very professional staff dedicated to providing a safe, fun experience. Everyone was friendly and helpful. One of our dive instructor/guides, Gwena was especially knowledgeable and helpful, showing us lots of interesting things on the reef that we otherwise might have missed.

This vacation was an excellent value for the price.

Room Tip: west facing balcony would be helpful with drying out damp clothes. our room had an east facing pati...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My second time staying here. Listen for the Hotel grounds, pools, beach, and food with beverages the price is unmatched. Good food, booze, soda pop, and activities all included. The rooms are VERY nice. Tiled/Marbled rooms with nice balconies. The showers are huge and water pressure is amazing. The rooms are one of the best features for me. (Be sure to check out the tips I have listed as our room was terribly located and see why) The serving staff (waiters, bartenders, housekeeping) were very professional, courteous, and work very hard. They represent the resort very well. The grounds and rooms are surrounded by lush foliage making it seem like you are staying at a resort in a remote part of the rainforest. We saw some little wild pigs running around which was cool and unique. I still believe this resort is fantastic but will try another next time as the room issue was big for me (again see below) and upon check in we found we had double beds when we wanted a king. I voiced concerns at the front desk about both room issues and was told they guarantee NOTHING. Another guest was there b/c she had requested adjoining rooms b/c her young children were with her and her husband and she had even called a few days prior where she was told they definitely had her what she wanted. A very condescending concierge (male/mid 30s) stated nothing is guaranteed. Also be aware they take a premium for currency exchanges and try to hide it by saying it is the current exchange rate which when I confronted the same concierge he finally admitted that it was a fee for the exchange. It just felt like he was trying to mislead me and that grinds my gears. Basically the room issue and concierge interaction has resolved me to try the Secrets resort next door but if you are laid back and take my room tips when booking then you will enjoy this resort.(If they fulfill their guarantee which we were told after they do not) Occidental Grand if you are reading this my Wife and I were considering selling our other vacation property to invest in this one but we definitely will NOT now when that disrespectful concierge talked down to me, mislead (what I call outright lied) to us, and they we were told no requests such as bed preference and room location would be guaranteed. Other resorts have no problem doing this, so, when yours cannot it is unacceptable to me. Other than that it’s a great stay lol. Oh and if you have kids they had LOTS of great activities through the day for the kids.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room in a building as far away from the main building. I was assigned the clos...
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The buffet food was really terrible, every dish was cold or luke warm even if it came straight from the kitchen. This can be dangerous and can lead to food poisoning as we all know! I complained with the chef. He'd said he would check it... Rest of the week I countered the same problem. Taste is very blend.
Had dinner in the a la carte restaurant, ordered a tenderloin, more than half of the tenderloin was fat. Complained with the waiter and his response was: "some people like fat..." When I asked him to inform the chef and show him my plate, he said that he didn't dare.
Staff is okay. Rooms smell really bad and damp. Bit run down, need improvement. Just opened my suitcase at home: my clothes smell terrible, I can still smell the room.
Time share staff: rude and hard sellers.
Pro: the hotel is not cheap on drinks
Conclusion: i will stay here never again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Worldtraveller671,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review. On behalf of the Occidental Grand Cozumel staff, please accept our apologies for your overall accommodation experience, our housekeeping and maintenance teams’ work hard to keep the room fresh and in top condition. We will share your comments with our Rooms Division Manager who always appreciates guest feedback.

Finally, the Food and Beverages manager extend his regrets for any lack of quality product or service you received while dining with us and will be reviewing your remarks.

We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope you will give us another chance to host you again,
Glasgow, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Sales people are the major pain of all who come to this place. After you check-in you are then sent to the next room for the FREE GIFT which is a hook for a free tour of the property with ultra high pressure sales pitch for Vacation Club (not a time share) ha-ha.
The actual hotel room was well kept and the showers were exceptional. The beach was beautiful. Our maid was very good, making the towel decorations and flowers daily and replenishing our fridge. The main complaint that I have is that the bars were all backed up with frozen drinks. They all need more blenders and staff to handle the busy hours and a self serve soda fountain to help with the long lines. Food was very good especially the specialty restaurants.

Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Absolutely LOVED this place!!! The beach is AMAZING and soft sand! Very relaxing at every area in the resort, either pool, beach, bar wherever! The two things I think that could be better is the food selections at the buffets and to add a bartender to the beach. The breakfast seemed to be the same thing every morning, and sometimes it would've been nice to have someone walking around the beach asking if we wanted a drink that they would bring to us.

Also, do NOT do the "courtesy desk" at check in. Once you check in, just go straight to your room. You do NOT need your "complimentary gift" as this is a way to suck you into their "timeshare meeting time" to waste 3+ hours of your day. :(

The girl from the Kids Club was wonderful!!!!!!!

I would DEFINITELY come back and hope to be back SOONER rather than later!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

As a marketer, this hotel is our biggest fear. For a great brand, this hotel is embarrassing. I would bring in a consultant to go undercover - and then make actual changes. If the brand is serious about keeping up its reputation.

I wouldn't have all of these complaints if the hotel wasn't marketed as 4 star and if the hotel wasn't one of the most expensive on the island. Mark it as a 3 star to keep expectations in check. By the way, we come to Mexico once a year, and stay at all-inclusives each time. Riu, Iberostar, etc.

If you have another option, take it.

Pros:
-Pretty beach
-Room service

Cons:
-Couldn't get toilet paper in lobby bathroom (for 2 days)
-Food is just bad (and I eat everything)
-Water bottles aren't replaced in room
-One bar for the entire pool and beach area (takes a LONG time to get drink)
-No swim up bar
-Must get up around 7AM to reserve chairs OR you are out of luck

Room Tip: near the pool
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Shelovestotravel1986,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not reaching your overall experience. We value your comments about food variety and quality; we will discuss this with the executive chef, who is committed to constantly improving the culinary offerings at the resort.

We regret to read about our cleaning, we will address your comments with our housekeeping manager to ensure that we are maintaining our high level of service.

Many thanks,

Been to Occidental Grand Cozumel? Share your experiences!