“Rain Rain Go Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Cozumel

You added Occidental Grand Cozumel to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.6 Zona Hotelera Sur | Colonia El Cedral San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Baytown, Texas
“Rain Rain Go Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Even the rain couldn't stop everyone from enjoying a wonderful experience at OC Grand. It was my first experience there on recommendation from my travel agent and Boy did He Do Good!! Great Food, wonderful service, the activities and special events, movies really made this trip a success, only problem was the 7 days were over way too fast. Problem was the time share/vacation share people giving away stuff or doing special deals in "cash only" deals. Rip offs in the making - as a solo traveler I really do not understand when I said NO, I meant NO, being hassled even day by the OC people in doing a sales type event got to be a pain, and I didn't like that at all!!!

Room Tip: If you have health problems, recommend ground floor rooms - stairs slippery when wet! Don't pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my second visit to the OC Grand and my sister's first -- and once again, it was so beautiful and relaxing. I would like to especially thank Miguel with First Club for his wonderful personality and the help he gave us every day. He made things so much easier for us with regard to reservations, car rental, etc. We were not bothered by the time share people, and my only real complaint is, once again, the hovering staff in the gift shop. I felt like I was being watched constantly when I went to the gift shop and it did not make for a leisurely shopping experience at all. I didn't like it last year and I definitely did not appreciate it this year. They need to relax their vigilance a little, lol.

The room was great, air condition worked perfectly, we had good beach drink service, and the food was pretty good (could get monotonous if you stay more than 5 days maybe). All the staff was very helpful.

We rented a car this time and went around the east side of the island and into town, which was well worth the money. The east side is so beautiful and different than we expected.

It rained some every day, but had plenty of sunshine to enjoy. We stayed mainly on the beach -- no problem getting chairs at all. Towels easily provided by the pool staff.

We did notice -- and this is no fault of the OC Grand --- that the majority of the other guests were not very friendly or outgoing. Some barely responded when we smiled and said hello. How can you be anything other than relaxed, friendly and happy when you're on vacation in such a beautiful spot?

I will definitely go back to OC Grand, and I'm sure my sister will too. Loved it! Very hard to get back into reality/work mode after being catered to for five days in paradise.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 17 -- close to the pools, not that far from everything in general. First floo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Neosho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Now that we know what to expect, our next trip would be even better. The property is beautiful and the resort staff is very friendly. We just returned last night from a seven day stay and can't wait to go back. Since it was a low season, there weren't many other people there. We met several other groups or couples and became friends with several of them. The beach and pools hardly had anyone there, so we were always able to get seats and towels. The biggest surprise was the food and restaurant selection. We thought we could eat whenever we wanted, but found out that there are times when none of the restaurants were open. There was the buffet on the beach, the buffet at the front and then the two specialty restaurants. You had to read the flyer to determine which ones were open, some nights the buffet on the beach was it, others it was up front. We never made reservations for the specialty, but were able to walk right in. The dress code said no shirts for men, but some in our group went in shorts and was allowed. The buffet food was unusual, we had to try different things to find something we liked. Many days, I lived on French fries!! The alcoholic drinks flow very freely, and the staff at all if the bars are great to suggest different things to try. The first few days, the waiter came to the pool and the beach often to bring drinks, but after that we had to go to the bar ourselves. The disco was a lot of fun, especially on the karaoke night. We watched several of the evening shows, even tried out the salsa lesson. We especially loved the activity director, Suzanne! Considering there weren't many guests around to get activities going, Suzanne did an excellent job keeping everyone entertained! She rounded up people for horseshoes when my husband suggested it, got a fun game of beach volleyball going, and even made friendship bracelets with our group. She was super fun, and made the trip even better! The one drawback was the timeshare people...our travel agent warned us to avoid them, but upon our arrival at the resort we were greeted by Jaime, who was in a grand occidental shirt. He told us we had a welcome package for us after a brief tour of the grounds. Sounded like the hotel was going to show us around so we said ok. He asked for a ten dollar deposit that we would get back after the tour, so we did. He then handed us off to another guy that showed us the royal club side of things, the fancy rooms, the private pool and restaurant only for club members. We were told the tour would take 90 minutes, which turned into 2 and a half hours. The last straw was all of us in a room with other groups going over the pricing and learning why it's not a time share but a vacation club. We left, and were given a voucher for a percentage off an excursion or rental. Therest of our group stayed awhile longer, but were told we had their vouchers which we didn't. Jaime never returned the ten dollars, and instead gave a bottle of tequila to the guy that had paid the ten. When the guy asked for the ten back, Jaime said he had used it to buy him he tequila. It was very confusing that Jaime was not part of the hotel, since he had a desk there and was there most everyday. Now that we know what to expect, how the schedule works, and who to listen to, we would definitely return! I wish we could've stayed longer, 7 days was not enough time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We just spend labor day week at the Grand, it was our 12th stay and second this year having taken the grand kids diving in June. As always the staff is hard working and willing to help, the grounds are beautiful, the dive shop folks are special, the only weakness continues to be the food selection, it is very monotonous at the buffet, the same food, with little change. The look out is that I learned that the hotel plans to change from Dive Palancar and that will me a big mistake and will make me find a new hotel. They were at the Allegro and then the Grand and I keep going back for them, not the hotel as there are others available. Most people I dive with are repeaters, I have 132 dives there and a fellow I dove with has 87 just this year.
Hope the people in Spain at the Occidental headquarters don't make this mistake!

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors, the first floor rooms flood when heavy rains fall!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Burlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The property is large, and although none of the rooms have an ocean view, walking to the pools and the beach is very easy. The staff is always very friendly and scuba diving is close to perfect. I've been there three times and I am sure I'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to skip staying on the first flood. If it rains a lot you may get some flooding.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our 7th visit to Occidental Grand Cozumel since 2005. We love it!! My husband loves the diving and I love relaxing on the beach and the spa. Erika (Spa Manager) is friendly and caring, and her massages are so very relaxing. She always makes sure that you are comfortable and her services are beneficial to you. She is fabulous!
We love the Grand Cozumel for its character/charm. The hotel staff and the Dive Shop staff are all very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: My opinion--If you like to sit on a balcony/patio to read or enjoy a drink I would ask for a 2nd or...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from Aug 24-Aug 31, 2013. We arrived at the hotel via Olympus Tours transfers which we paid for with our package from Cheap Caribbean. Pretty uneventful ride. They pack you into a hot van but it's what we expect.
Hotel: There really is no "front desk" it's just 2 desks in the courtyard. Ricardo checked us in when we arrived about noon. After everything I read on trip advisor I requested a 2nd floor room. Ricardo seemed like he didn't want to do that. He had already tagged us in room 1614. I explained I couldn't walk 2 flights of stairs due to bad knees but I could do 1. I told him I'm afraid of bugs walking into the bottom floor room. Finally he gave us room 1727. You will not be able to check in until 3-3:30. They will tell you there is a bathroom where you can go and change. Your luggage will stay out front of the hotel in the driveway until your room is ready. It seemed a bit odd but since the Hotel sits in off the road no one will bother it. We took our carry-on bags with us since they had our electronics in them.
You will arrive in the building where are the specialty restaurant's are along with the breakfast buffet, lobby bar, a small gift shop, tour companies. After the check in with Ricardo you go right to another desk to see the "conciour" who is basically a time share guy. They will say it's not a time share but it is. When they say meet us for breakfast for a 90 min presentation...that's what they mean. They will make you feel bad by saying we only get paid if you show up to the breakfast presentation. Alex told us we don't have to do anything but have breakfast then excuse ourselves. Needless to say we are NOT interested in a timeshare and never went. I will explain later the events that took place because of this.
We then changed into cooler cloths and went to the beach bar/ lunch buffet which is on the beach with fantastic views. You walk from the main building thru an outside sitting area thru all the building to a quiet pool then you cross a wooden walkway to the party pool. You will then see to the right is another building which houses the beach bar. It's a bit of a walk and the walk way is not even so beware you don't trip and fall.
Once we checked into our room we thought it was large, clean and cool. PHEW...we'd heard horror stories.
We stayed at the hotel during "off" season. The hotel holds maybe about 600 people? We guessed there were only about 150 people here at any given time. With that said we had a much different experience than others who have stayed here.
We ate at the 2 open specialty restaurant's every night but 1 night when they opened the buffet. We followed what people told us on trip advisor plus what's on their website about the dress code for the specialty restaurants. We soon found out that if the Hotel only opens the specialty restaurants you can wear basically whatever. They can't hold you to a dress code. We dressed up anyways. The only problem was we got tired of eating at the specialty restaurants (the Steakhouse-El Sonora & Mediterranean -Los Olivos) after the 2nd time. The 3rd time I became friendly with the staff and they were so sweet to let me mix and match from both menu's. We tipped $5.00 usd every night. I think this helped us get special service. We had some amazing chips and aioli sauce at Los Olivos. We only got it the last 2 times we ate there.
We certainly give this hotel 5 stars for the dinners. The one night we ate at the buffet it was great they had red snapper that was fantastic! We got lucky again and had it on the lunch buffet one day. We give it 4 stars for the breakfast and lunch due to the lack of variety and having to ask for bacon from the omelet person. The lunch was the same daily. If you want a hamburger you have to ask and my first one wasn't cooked very good. I asked for well done the next day and I was happy. We stay at all-inclusive hotels every time we stay in Mexico this was the best for food.
Room: We had 2 full size beds which was fine since my boyfriend snores. The nights got pretty warm and it seemed like the air stopped at night. We ended up waking up a lot sweating. We did end up asking for pillow toppers for the beds since they were much harder than we could tolerate. Even with the topper I felt like mine was still really hard. I was glad to finally get home to my own bed. We tipped everyday and the maid left us some amazing towel animals. We could have used more than 4 bottles of water each day. All in all it was OK.
Pool: I spent a lot of time at the party pool that only had a handful of people in it at any given time. It was ok but NO pool bar?? There was a guy who would come around occasionally to see if you wanted a drink but not consistently. I even tipped each time but it didn't produce any better service. I always take my insulated mug so, I don't have to make many trips to the bar.
Snorkeling: The Hotel is the best place for snorkeling right off the beach. We saw the barracuda and all the cool fishes. Suzanna will do a snorkeling lesson then take you out and show you all the cool things. I recommend doing it. The hotel offers free kayak's for 30 min's. That was fun too.
Tours: we did a snorkeling tour thru Olympus Tours that was just OK. My boyfriend went and did the one the dive shop offers and he said it was much better for the money!
We did the Jeep Tour thru Olympus Tours and we requested a guide to drive us. Otherwise you get a tourist who might be drinking too much driving an older jeep around the island. I like my life more than to put it into someone else's hands. Unless you've got a group of 4 people whom you know and trust. Roger was our guide which was nice because we got a commentary about the island along the way. You do stop at a Mayan Ruin and you will need bug spray here. If you don't have it don't worry. They will spray you for $1.00 each person. We actually took some with us since we read it on here but for some reason never needed it at our hotel. Other's on the jeep tour said they went thru a few bottles at their hotels. So, take it!!!
We went to Chankanaab Park. We asked how much the taxi should cost and they said $14.00. We were charged $15.00 on the way there. When you leave they have a sign that says it should cost $13.00 so, that's what we showed our cab driver and that's all we paid. We didn't tip the cab drivers because with the exchange rate they are ripping us off.
The park was nice. They offered us some kind of a deal where we paid a little less than the 21.00 per person for admission. We did snuba and had a blast. They will offer you a locker for the day. However, their cc machine is wifi. It didn't work even thought the one at the front desk did. We ended up having to find an atm and pay cash. No biggie but be aware. We had Manuel give us a tour of the park which was informative and we tipped him $20. usd. He was very good. The tequila factory there was ok but too expensive for us since we don't drink tequila.
We enjoyed the dolphin and sea lion shows. We ate lunch at the outside place by the snorkeling beach. It was very good but a bit pricey. All in all we made a day of it and had a good time. If you want a towel bring one from your hotel or buy one in the gift shop.
Entertainment:
With the low occupancy in the hotel they didn't offer much in the evenings. There was a live band one night and they were fantastic! We did buy 2 blankets from the vendors for 10.00 a piece but they are really only worth 5.00 each. They wanted 17.00 each.
Duty Free:
We shopped at duty free and had no problems. We put our purchases in our carry-on's since they hand it right back to you. When we got to Houston we switched it over to our check in bags.
Lastly, the timeshare people at the hotel. We were walking to the breakfast buffet the day after we arrived. The employees were all huddled and approaching you as you entered the buffet area. Luckily, they were talking to other vacationers then. However, when we went to get the daily "sunset post" (activities guide for the day/ which restaurant's are open) from the check-in desk and to make reservations at the specialty restaurant's. You HAVE to walk right thru the time share people. They called me by name and I turned around and she held the paper in my face asking why didn't I come to breakfast. She was pretty relentless and I didn't appreciate it. I came really close to pushing her out of my way and punching her in the face. My boyfriend finally pulled me away and we just walked away. OMG! I had never been harassed that much about a damn timeshare in all my travels. We finally figured out a way to avoid this area by walking around the building to the tour companies and walking thru instead of the more direct way to avoid the timeshare people. So just be aware of this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Cozumel? Share your experiences!