Luckily I was traveling with great friends so the experience at the hotel did not ruin my trip, but I feel for other travelers out there - they should at least hear about what kind of experience they can expect at the Occidental Grand Cozumel.
The resort is old and in need of upkeep. It is obvious that the property owners are not being attentive to updating air conditioning and rooms (although the grounds are lush and tended too-they too could use some cutting back). The rooms barely maintain an acceptable temperature. The heat and humidity in the dining areas are horrid. It was easily 90+ degrees in the main dining rooms. It is hard to eat and relax and enjoy your meal in such heat, and it is not good for the food to sit out like that as well. The food options were also disappointing. I was not expecting anything fancy, but I expected the quality and safety of the food to not make me sick.
The rooms are fairly nice - they are large, but in need of new curtains, linens, towels etc.
However the worst thing about the hotel is the attitude of the staff. The resort is terribly short staffed and the morale of the workers is very low. Asking for anything from them brings a scowl. And most requests go unanswered. Also you are immediately met with Time Share sales people. They act as though they are with the hotel and offer all sorts of freebie perks. Savvy travelers can easily identify these people, but the less savvy are easy prey.
I recommend staying away from this place. If you are spending your hard earned $$$ find someplace worth the money, that will treat you with respect with good service and safer food options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel