“So much promise so little delivery” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Cozumel to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.6 Zona Hotelera Sur | Colonia El Cedral San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 56 hotels in Cozumel
Seattle, WA USA
“So much promise so little delivery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Luckily I was traveling with great friends so the experience at the hotel did not ruin my trip, but I feel for other travelers out there - they should at least hear about what kind of experience they can expect at the Occidental Grand Cozumel.
The resort is old and in need of upkeep. It is obvious that the property owners are not being attentive to updating air conditioning and rooms (although the grounds are lush and tended too-they too could use some cutting back). The rooms barely maintain an acceptable temperature. The heat and humidity in the dining areas are horrid. It was easily 90+ degrees in the main dining rooms. It is hard to eat and relax and enjoy your meal in such heat, and it is not good for the food to sit out like that as well. The food options were also disappointing. I was not expecting anything fancy, but I expected the quality and safety of the food to not make me sick.
The rooms are fairly nice - they are large, but in need of new curtains, linens, towels etc.
However the worst thing about the hotel is the attitude of the staff. The resort is terribly short staffed and the morale of the workers is very low. Asking for anything from them brings a scowl. And most requests go unanswered. Also you are immediately met with Time Share sales people. They act as though they are with the hotel and offer all sorts of freebie perks. Savvy travelers can easily identify these people, but the less savvy are easy prey.
I recommend staying away from this place. If you are spending your hard earned $$$ find someplace worth the money, that will treat you with respect with good service and safer food options.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Gabriela S, Social Media at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear AllieSeattle

Thank you very much for your time to write your review on tripadvisor. Received our apology for any inconvenience you may suffer during your stay. Rests assure that each comment has taken into consideration by our management to improve our service. Our main goal is our guest satisfaction.

2,794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Silverthorne, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My new husband and I just stayed at the Occidental Grand in Cozumel July 6th - 13th for our honeymoon. We had a fabulous time and enjoyed just about everything the Occidental had to offer.

I had lowered my expectations for this vacation - based on all of the negative reviews I had read prior. Personally, I wonder if those people went to the same resort? The food was great! The buffets offered plenty of choices and it was good food! There are 2 fine dining restaurants. We loved the steakhouse and the Azteca soup is fabulous as was the other soup choice. My favorite dish is the ribeye - yummy! I did not care for the food in the Mediterranean Restaurant or the Mural that I feel is child inappropriate. I hope to visit again with my children so I would not eat again at the Mediterranean Restaurant. I would not say the food there was bad it just did not suit my tastes.

Our reception was amazing. We were received in the Royal Club since our vacation was booked as an Apple Vacation. We were offered champagne. The reception was quick, kind and informative. We were told to call any time. Although we did not upgrade to a Royal Club package. We called the royal club many times and they always responded quickly and respectfully and were helpful. We were given a complimentary honeymoon which included fruit and a bottle of champagne. We also learned it is a good idea to tip your housekeeper. We learned this the one day we forgot. It's just nicer when you tip.

We then enjoyed room service as we were exhausted and did not feel like going anywhere. I was so thankful for room service as I have done a Mexican all inclusive before and do not remember the option of included room service. Room service food was great! We just learned to get dishes out quickly or else you will get tiny ants. I am sure this is just the nature of the tropical environment. Food gone - ants gone. They were happy to come clean or spray but we opted for the natural envrioment and learned to remove food quickly and all was fine.

Okay - we loved the beach and the main pool. The lunch buffet was so nice right by the beach and the food was always good. Chips and dips were homemade and tasty. There were plenty of options so again you could eat different every day at all the buffets.

By the way our room was beautiful. We asked for a 3rd floor to avoid any mold smells which are common at Mexico resorts. We loved our room - plenty of air condition and incrediby clean. We loved the tile, colors, and decor. We also loved the tropical environment off of our balcony. We'd sit out and listen to the birds, etc....

The Occidental in all aspects was way nicer than we expected. Probably my favorite part of the vacation was the kind treatment of the entire staff at the Occidental. In fact it was only when we left the resort we were dissapointed. The staff was always kind, helpful, and full of smiles. Ironically enough we were not hounded by the timshare people. We consulted our Apple rep quite a bit and were dissapointed with a scuba reccomendation so we actually sought out the hotel people. We did do the timeshare tour and did enjoy the 3 reef snorkel tour as a result. Time share a little too epensive for our taste as we are just simple people and find the common rooms and parts of the resort plenty for our tastes as it is just such a nice place! The hard close was a bit uncomfortable but I would expect nothing less since the goal is to sell it right then and there.

Okay back to the beach and activities. There is enough to do for free that we didn't even do everything. We booked a scuba trip off of the resort and were very dissappointed. We let our Apple rep know we think it is a bad idea to send beginners away from the resort to save money. We felt the extra money spent at the dive shop would have been a much better experience for a little extra money. And quite frankly, much better to prepare a beginner for the world of scuba diving. The people at the dive shop were amazing. They were so helpful and when we return we will book all our scuba diving and courses through them. I trust them and they were willing to work with us after our not so great excursion off of the resort. Furthermore the experienced divers seemed to book everything through the dive shop and off our pier. Everyone we spoke with were pleased.

They did a great job with pool activities. We enjoyed beach volleyball and played a ton while we were there! We also enjoyed water polo and noticed the activity instructor even successfully got guys doing aerobics.

We really appreciated the quality of the other vacationers at the resort. They were very respectful. We also checked out the kids club program and would bring our children back to this resort and think it's a great program. For these reasons we are comfortable with the security and other people at the resort to come back with our kids.

The beach is beautiful. If you want a good Cozumel Beach - this is the one. The walk to the beach is very nice as the resort is beautiful. The Occidental has a responsibility to take care of the ecosystem. There is no beach front lodging at this resort which is just fine with me as I had to work off all that food and I really enjoyed the privacy and serenity of our balcony as well as the beauty,comfort and cleanliness of our room. We stayed in building 17 floor 3 and thought it was a perfect location and great for exercise. We were right in the middle of the resort with plenty of privacy. In fact the resort is very spacious and you would never find yourself on top of people. Some back ups at the pool bar but that is such a frivalous detail in my opinion.

So once again I loved everything about the Occidental - we went next door and checked out the Allegro and found the Occidental far more appealing even for when we return with children. In reading other reviews we found it helpful to stay on a higher floor room. We wish we would have listened to other reviewers and stuck with the on site dive shop from the start especially for beginners. In our opinion there really is no reason to even leave the resort and probably one of the best beaches, best rooms, best grounds, and best service in Cozumel is at the Occidental Grand. I almost forgot there is great entertainment every night at the Occidental. Our personal favorite was the fire show which was way beyond our expectations and any fire show we have ever seen.

We also really like the quaint and low key environment that Cozumel has to offer and we will go back to Cozumel and the Occidental Grand.

Room Tip: Upper level floor - higher room building to be closer to the beach, lower room building to be closer...
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

As a diver, I travel to Cozumel often and have stayed at the Occidental Grand 4 times over the last 8 years. Unfortunately this was definitely my last time staying at the resort.

While the grounds are truly spectacular here - the tall trees and flowers make you feel like you are staying in a jungle, and the location to the reefs is fantastic - that is really the only good thing about the resort. The rooms and everything else have not been updated in ages, and it shows! The beds are hard as a rock, the AC barely works (in never turns off), and the bathrooms has cracked marble while shower fixtures are loose. Honestly the only "new" thing in the room is a flat screen tv (who has time to watch tv on vacation?!).

The food has also gone waaaayyyy down in quality. The buffet is almost gross - it feels like some stuff gets reheated from day to day - even the guacamole (the staple of Mexican cuisine) is full of lime juice to prevent browning. The a-la-carte restaurants aren't that great either but thankfully the tequila is free so drink shots to prevent an upset stomach. Or just go out and eat it town (which we did for almost all the meals).

It truly is a shame that this resort has not kept up and updated anything - it was my favorite place in Cozumel for a long time. It seems their main focus is to sell timeshares, which they harass you about every step you take and are really rude about it. They even got rid of the rooftop pizza restaurant to have a sales office/members only area.

Occidental Grand Cozumel - it was nice while it lasted, but never again!

Dear Monika _with _a_K

Thank you very much for your time to write your review for your recently stay with us. Your comment is very important for us, this help us to improve our services. We actually are working to fix the air conditioner in the property. Regarding food our chef is taking the necessary measures to improve.

Once again thank you for your time, hopefully give us the opportunity to host you in the near future.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a great trip, but the resort could make a few easy changes that could have made it much better! The grounds are well kept, full of amazing wildlife, and absolutely gorgeous. However, the hotel is lacking in several areas that would be incredibly easy to fix if someone took the initiative to do so.

I'll start with the great things. The property is stunning, with lots of beautiful plants and wildlife including basilisk lizards, iguanas, turtles, frogs, and many more. The mangroves are beautiful as well. Yes- there are mosquitoes. I came home with many bites, but in their defense I forgot to use bug spray and this can't really be helped. It is the jungle, after all. The fire show was awesome. The food is good, and the staff is very nice and friendly. They have great drinks! The best thing is the snorkeling! We've stayed at many all inclusive resorts in Mexico, and this is the best snorkeling we've ever had right off the beach. We saw cow fish, lion fish, rays, barracudas, lobsters, and more all within the resort's swimming area. You can rent snorkeling equipment, sailboats, and kayaks as part of the all inclusive package, which we really enjoyed. If you love wildlife, you'll definitely love what this property has to offer.

The rooms are pretty nice. I enjoy a firm bed, so I have no complaints there, but the pillows were awful. Our room stayed at comfortable temperature. We set it below 50 and it ran the whole time. A few times I wished I could set it a couple of degrees colder, but it was always adequate. My husband and I traveled with my parents and little brother. While the A/C in their room was similar to ours, we did hear other groups complain of a complete lack of A/C in their rooms. The fridge wasn't what I would call cold, but that isn't a huge deal. I enjoyed the large bathroom even though we had ants. Again, this is the jungle, so that is no fault of the resort. Otherwise, housekeeping kept things very clean.

Now to the cons. Unfortunately, this resort is incredibly poorly managed. To start with the small things: they're always out of everything. The bar was frequently out of lime and mint (a bummer when you love mojitos), and the buffet lines were often backed up for lack of plates/bowls/glasses, etc. Again, this is not a big deal, but it seems that it would be very easy to prevent things like that from happening on a daily basis. A bigger (and probably related) problem: they are INCREDIBLY understaffed. If they hired one more employee at each bar/restaurant, everything would be much better for both guests and staff. We really didn't get any where near the service that we have gotten at other resorts. You see the same employees from breakfast to dinner, and while they don't complain, you know they must be miserable due to the heat (explained later) and the workload. Again, these complaints are no fault of the staff, but of the management. There is no reason why only two people should be running a packed dining room. There is only one bar (not a swim-up) with one bartender to service the pool and beach, so you would sometimes wait in line for 10 minutes just to get a drink. Another bummer that I've never experienced at other resorts is the black out times in food availability. You literally cannot get food anywhere from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM (a reasonable time to get lunch, especially if you sleep in) or 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM. I really didn't like that. Overall: while the staff they have is great and working hard, the experience could be greatly improved if they would just hire more people.

If you're not accustomed to all-inclusive, my previous complaints may not bother you as they're really not deal breakers. If you're accustomed to A/C, you will definitely be bothered by the 90 degree dining areas. While the food was good, eating was miserable due to the complete lack of airflow in all of the dining areas but Los Olivos (my favorite for dinner-by the way) and the beach restaurant that serves lunch. This could be easily fixed by adding fans or upgrading the A/C units that do not work at all. If you've already booked your trip, I highly recommend bringing a handheld fan or something.

Overall we really enjoyed our trip! Occidental grand is a stunningly beautiful property that could be a lot better with better management. If they upgraded their A/C and hired a few more employees, it could be perfect!

Room Tip: Higher numbers are closer to the beach. We had good luck with 18. Bring a pillow if you can.
Wildwood, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Let me set the stage. We got here a week ago and we booked 2 weeks. Two adults and two teenage kids. The reason why we came to Cozumel was the scuba diving not for the beach or the hotel. We have been around the world and at the Riviera Maya three times so we have something to compare against. For example we stayed at the bavaro colonial and tropical south of playa del Carmen and that hotel was two stars better than this one even so on paper they are the same.

Here is now my review for the first week. I wil update it after the second week.
After we arrived here from the airport we checked in and were hunted down by people that wanted to sell time shares asking us to book through them as opposed to through Funjet as we did. I asked them whether it was about time shares and they claimed it wasn't so we spent 30 minutes before they wanted me to sign something for an appointment. That's when I walked away. They wear hotel uniforms so you might not recognize them. Watch out.

Rooms: we are staying in building 19 which is the one closest to the beach. Rooms a pretty large and nicely appointed but they show their age. Some mold can be found and the AC can't keep up. Not a big problem for us since we spend little time in the room. A night the AC is running constantly which makes a lot of noise. That is annoying.

Food: the food is not that great as many reviews have pointed out. The restaurants are not better than the buffets.

Service: rooms were cleaned very well. I tip a few bucks every day. Service in the lobby was not that great. When trying to reserve a restaurant we were told we should hAve gotten up earlier and had to wait three days. But if that happens, it is not a big deal since they are not that great.

The beach: the beach was surprisingly nice. Sandy and right off the beach one can find small rays, octopus, a lage barracuda and many other fish when snorkling.

Diving: that is why we came here and it has not disappointed so far. The dive operation at the hotel is great and everybody is very friendly. Our dive instructor Chaki was great when the kids did their PADI certification.

So come here for te diving not the food or the hotel.
We are staying another week so I will post an update

Dan

Room Tip: I don't think it matters much. Either you a close to the beach (building 19 or 18) or you a clos...
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just returned from 5 nights with an all adult family trip to the Occidental Grand Cozumel.

The Pros:
Beautiful Location -- The property had two very nice pools, and the landscaping was lovely. Common areas were beautiful, and they work hard to maintain them (new paint and varnish while we were there).
The Beach -- There was a very nice beach, with plenty of chairs, located right off the back of the property. Snorkeling and fishing are available right off the pier and there is a nice dive shop on the property. Lunches were served outside on the beach, which was nice.
The Staff -- For the most part, the people who worked there were very polite and friendly.

The Mediums:
The Food -- Not fabulous, but certainly not awful. It's sort of typical hotel food, but there was plenty of variety. The specialty restaurants were OK, but nothing too exciting.
The Rooms -- They were clean, and fairly large and cheery. Furniture was a little old, but in good repair. Plenty of hot water in the shower. Beds were hard, and not very comfortable, but I was able to sleep fine.

The Cons:
The lack of air conditioning. The most noticeable problem was that there was no air conditioning in the common dining area where breakfast and dinner were served. There was a large commercial kitchen in the dining area, contributing to the stifling heat and it was miserable to eat there. Certainly air conditioners break, but looking at reviews on this site, complaints about the absence of air conditioning date back at least a month.

In addition, a number of the rooms had poor air conditioning as well. Ours actually did work OK, but that may not have always been the case, as evidenced by the mildew smell of our bed linens. Yuck.

We still enjoyed our trip, in spite of the heat, but I really think management needs to take these complaints seriously. Air conditioning is a pretty basic amenity, and there's just no excuse (other than poor management) for a resort to not fix their air conditioner in 4 weeks. My review would have been higher, except for this one fairly significant problem.

Dear WSJAB99

Thank you very much for your time to write your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apology for the inconvenience you may suffer during your stay with us. Rests assure that each comment has taken into consideration from our management to improve our service.

Hopefully give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been on many all inclusive Caribbean vacations and this was by far the worst. The very first thing we were greeted with was a time share set up. I knew exactly where the conversation was going so we cut her short and said no thank you! We booked the royal club expecting to have use of the private pool and restaurant which was not the case. Royal club has 4 buildings, only 2 of the 4 have use of the private pool and restaurant so we were extremely confused on what perks we were getting by paying extra to stay in the royal club. After waiting 2 hrs past check in time we finally got our room. No air conditioning at all!! No hot water coming out of shower just cold. Safe didn't work luckily I had luggage locks so we locked everything up in our luggage. Went and complained and they finally gave us a new room which was better but safe still not working. Buffett dining was like eating in a sauna, by the time you got done you need another shower. Food was tasteless, not a big selection, down right horrible. We ended up eating out the whole time. Then came the rental car issue. Right next to the lobby check in sits a desk with people wearing occidental get up and name tags so we didn't think anything of it. They showed us a pic of a nice new jeep, sweet! Not so, it was an early 1980's model junker, whatever, we're gonna try to make the best of it. The guy brought us the jeep, which we had to walk to the main road to pick up. Main thing he was concerned about was that we brought it back with a full tank of gas as it was full when we got it, no problem. We drove south to head up the east coast as it is a beautiful drive with nice beach side bars. We drove about 10 miles then the jeep runs out of gas, wtf!! Still reading full tank and if the tank had been full we would have made it 10 miles without running out. So we got a jeep with a few gallons gas and a broken gauge. We were stranded on the east side of island, not good considering its a local area, not a tourist area so no taxi's to wave down. With our luck a nice local helped us out, which cost us. We get back to hotel to be told that the people wearing occidental name tags that rented us the car had nothing to do with the resort. I will say the grounds are gorgeous and the pools and beach beautiful but I can find that at other resorts with better customer service and accommodations. Please do not waste your hard earned money here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriela S, Social Media at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Peggs311

Once again thank you for your time.

Sincerely

Been to Occidental Grand Cozumel? Share your experiences!