As a diver, I travel to Cozumel often and have stayed at the Occidental Grand 4 times over the last 8 years. Unfortunately this was definitely my last time staying at the resort.
While the grounds are truly spectacular here - the tall trees and flowers make you feel like you are staying in a jungle, and the location to the reefs is fantastic - that is really the only good thing about the resort. The rooms and everything else have not been updated in ages, and it shows! The beds are hard as a rock, the AC barely works (in never turns off), and the bathrooms has cracked marble while shower fixtures are loose. Honestly the only "new" thing in the room is a flat screen tv (who has time to watch tv on vacation?!).
The food has also gone waaaayyyy down in quality. The buffet is almost gross - it feels like some stuff gets reheated from day to day - even the guacamole (the staple of Mexican cuisine) is full of lime juice to prevent browning. The a-la-carte restaurants aren't that great either but thankfully the tequila is free so drink shots to prevent an upset stomach. Or just go out and eat it town (which we did for almost all the meals).
It truly is a shame that this resort has not kept up and updated anything - it was my favorite place in Cozumel for a long time. It seems their main focus is to sell timeshares, which they harass you about every step you take and are really rude about it. They even got rid of the rooftop pizza restaurant to have a sales office/members only area.
Occidental Grand Cozumel - it was nice while it lasted, but never again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, BookIt.com, Odigeo, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Priceline so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel