Let me set the stage. We got here a week ago and we booked 2 weeks. Two adults and two teenage kids. The reason why we came to Cozumel was the scuba diving not for the beach or the hotel. We have been around the world and at the Riviera Maya three times so we have something to compare against. For example we stayed at the bavaro colonial and tropical south of playa del Carmen and that hotel was two stars better than this one even so on paper they are the same.
Here is now my review for the first week. I wil update it after the second week.
After we arrived here from the airport we checked in and were hunted down by people that wanted to sell time shares asking us to book through them as opposed to through Funjet as we did. I asked them whether it was about time shares and they claimed it wasn't so we spent 30 minutes before they wanted me to sign something for an appointment. That's when I walked away. They wear hotel uniforms so you might not recognize them. Watch out.
Rooms: we are staying in building 19 which is the one closest to the beach. Rooms a pretty large and nicely appointed but they show their age. Some mold can be found and the AC can't keep up. Not a big problem for us since we spend little time in the room. A night the AC is running constantly which makes a lot of noise. That is annoying.
Food: the food is not that great as many reviews have pointed out. The restaurants are not better than the buffets.
Service: rooms were cleaned very well. I tip a few bucks every day. Service in the lobby was not that great. When trying to reserve a restaurant we were told we should hAve gotten up earlier and had to wait three days. But if that happens, it is not a big deal since they are not that great.
The beach: the beach was surprisingly nice. Sandy and right off the beach one can find small rays, octopus, a lage barracuda and many other fish when snorkling.
Diving: that is why we came here and it has not disappointed so far. The dive operation at the hotel is great and everybody is very friendly. Our dive instructor Chaki was great when the kids did their PADI certification.
So come here for te diving not the food or the hotel.
We are staying another week so I will post an update
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, EasyToBook and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel