Upon arrival, our family was greeted by what we thought was a concierge since we were staying in "Royal Club." We thought the conversation was taking a strange turn when we were invited to a special separate breakfast where we could just "get up and leave" if we didn't want to hear more about "the property" as they hoped to get us back time and time again. After we made the reservation I had misgivings and cancelled only to get offered a free jeep for a day for each of two families. That's when we knew it had to be the same high pressure time-share pitch we had suffered through years ago. Such a fraudulent way to greet your guests!
On to the Royal Club for check in where we had to wait long past the usual 3pm...got our rooms at 5:20 but no luggage. 3 of us called for it to the front desk, bell man, and to the Royal Club reception. Finally found all our luggage at the front of the hotel where it had sat for 4 hours, so we lugged it ourselves (up 3 flights).
The restaurants served fine food but there was no A/C in any, and all doors and windows are closed for the most part. Fine food consumed in a sauna! My theory is that open-air dining won't work because the resort is built on a swampy refuge--a mosquito factory.
Guest rooms are nice, but again very hot, AC completely out for a day and a half. No AC vent in the bathrooms.
Evening entertainment was weak and not entertaining. No show on Saturday night. The theatre is a round concrete area with no cover, not elevated. There was a vendor's night on Friday where you could buy goods before the show right in the theater area all around the edges. But the vendors were still selling when the entertainment ran. It was multiple Broadway dance tunes well performed but surrounded by vendors which was a disrespect to the performers as well as distracting to those watching the show.
This is the only resort I have rated this low, as generally I consider myself easy to please, having been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and to Cozumel more than 20 times with no major malfunctions such as we experienced here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Barcelo, Booking.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookIt.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel