Like a previous reviewer, I too have done several reviews all of which I believe have been honest but this hotel was a massive disappointment and I also believe that Virgin Holidays have to take some responsibility. Agree that if there had been a rep in resort things may have been different but we had no rep in resort
If we had not upgraded to the Royal Club (RC) it would have been a very unsatisfactory holiday and well below the standards we expect of a Virgin holiday.
We booked this holiday through Virgin in the UK and flew into Cancun. We then had to transfer from Cancun to Cozumel. Journey from Cancun to resort – was vague in the brochure at 2 to 3 hours including ferry – did not mention 2 taxi rides interspersed by a walk through Puerto del Carmen (with cases) to get to passenger ferry. The journey back to Cancun took even longer leaving at 1pm for an 8pm flight – had to wait 45 mins at the ferry terminal, arrived at the airport at 4pm and then the plane was 90 mins late taking off (i.e. 9.30pm). So the journey was already 8.5 hours before the flight!
On arrival there was nobody at the front lobby, and we had to find our own way to the Royal Club reception in the dark pulling our own cases – never had to do that before. However in the Royal Club welcome was good with a nice cool drink and process very quick.
System (if there was one?) for booking restaurants was unclear. We had paid for Royal Club upgrade but only able to book RC restaurant for 50% of stay. The rest of the time we managed to get into the other 2 A la carte restaurants but this took a lot of effort and we heard many other people complaining they couldn’t get bookings anywhere. The other 2 a la cartes were fine but not in same league as RC.
There were several incidents of drunken rowdiness during the day round the “relaxation pool” which the management did nothing to address.
The beach itself is good but the sunbeds and sun shades are too regimented and close together so we didn’t use them. Besides which it seems people went down there at 6.00am to “reserve” with their towels – not our scene. We stayed at the relaxation pool which had plenty of beds and was a lot quieter in the main (see comment above).
Bars – not great. The pool bar only had 1 guy serving and always had a queue and the Lobby bar was a bit like a station and drinks were served in plastic glasses.
Restaurants – we used the dinner buffet once upon arrival and were not impressed with the food which was lukewarm so did not use again. From what we could see from the menu it changed very little each day despite there being weekly themed evenings. Lunch – we used the Beach restaurant once and after queuing for 20 mins just to get in gave that a miss for the rest of the holiday as well.
Royal Club – ate all our meals there wherever possible and it was excellent – the staff (Tomas/Adrian/Rogelio) were friendly, attentive and overall top class.
In summary very disappointing and not a resort I will be going back to. However if you do go make sure you book the Royal Club.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Despegar.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel